Anyone else agrees that call of duty 1 has the best gameplay of the COD series ?

Avatar image for fovereveralone
#1 Posted by FovereverAlone (21 posts) -

I always rated COD 1 as my least liked in the series because the campaign is too short and very dated graphics, but still cod 1 is my most played COD i keep replaying cod 1 over and over again,if COD 1 is my least favourite cod game why i keep replaying it ? after i finished COD WOW i finally realesed why,simply, the later COD's(Cod 4 MW,Cod MW 2,Cod WOW and to some extent Cod 2) are not enjoyable to play in single player.COD 1 gameplay is very straight foward you kill enemies you advance to objective,gunplay is very good you know when you hit your enemies and the visual clarity is clean,COD 2 introduced the shit "enemies keep respawning until you move to a certain point" cod 4 made it worse by adding infinite enemies respawn,gunplay in cod 2 and specially in later cod's got worse and worse you barely know if you hit someone in SP and weapons became worse to aim too,visual clarity got worse too ! (too much smoke and bullet effects too much enemies respawning in every corner too),COD MW 2 has a shitty blood visual effect that cover all over you screen when you in low health which makes impossible to see anything and if you are playing on veteran 30% of the time you ain't going too see nothing ! COD WOW and COD 2 are too repetitive ! is just same shit (you allies and enemies keep respawing until you move to trigger point).COD 4 also enemies keep respawing and visual clarity is awful but atleast the game have a good narrative and pacing to compesate.

So overall i think COD 2 added a huge decline to the gameplay and its only got worse and worse.I still like all COD's but the only one i bother to replay is COD 1,do you guys feel the same about the COD series ?

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
#2 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (21377 posts) -

CoD1 is the only one in the series that made me feel like I was in a real war, especially the snow levels. The other games are a lot of fun (up until BO2 which was just boring), but they feel like action movies, while CoD1 was very down-to-earth.

Avatar image for fovereveralone
#3 Posted by FovereverAlone (21 posts) -

@Black_Knight_00: another thing,in cod 1 on veteran you need to play like you were in Arma games,taking cover as much as possible because if you take damage and go below 33% health the auto-checkpoint is disable for the rest of the level and in veteran there no medical kits,right at the beginning of the first mission in united offensive expansion there a Rail shooter section,in this sections you can't take cover to avoid damage ! instead you need to kill enemies as fast as possible:

Loading Video...

even if you manage to beat the rail shooter section(which is already hard enough) if you take any k-98k bullet damage or more than three MP40 bullet damage you going to lose auto-checkpoint and since there no manual save game in the game,you have to manage to beat the rest of the mission without taking any damage.Call of duty 1 is by far the harddest cod out there(and without shit enemies respawn and granade spam),i admit the Veteran difficulty is too hard for me(i could barely beat the first UO mission in Hard Mode)but is definitely something for people who looking for challeging fps games.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
#4 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (21377 posts) -

@fovereveralone: CoD1 had quicksaves though. F5

Avatar image for Macutchi
#5 Posted by Macutchi (6472 posts) -
@Black_Knight_00 said:

CoD1 is the only one in the series that made me feel like I was in a real war, especially the snow levels. The other games are a lot of fun (up until BO2 which was just boring), but they feel like action movies, while CoD1 was very down-to-earth.

i'd say it was from cod 4 onwards when the game switches to the action movie style.

i much preferred the authentic and atmospheric style of the early games when it was tales of groups of unremarkable men together overcoming overwhelming odds vs the heroics of a single super soldier format the series adopted after cod 3

Avatar image for fovereveralone
#6 Edited by FovereverAlone (21 posts) -

@Black_Knight_00: true,this definitely make the game more beatable in veteran,i also never noticed before the save/load feature in menu.

Avatar image for fovereveralone
#7 Posted by FovereverAlone (21 posts) -

@Macutchi said:
@Black_Knight_00 said:

CoD1 is the only one in the series that made me feel like I was in a real war, especially the snow levels. The other games are a lot of fun (up until BO2 which was just boring), but they feel like action movies, while CoD1 was very down-to-earth.

i'd say it was from cod 4 onwards when the game switches to the action movie style.

i much preferred the authentic and atmospheric style of the early games when it was tales of groups of unremarkable men together overcoming overwhelming odds vs the heroics of a single super soldier format the series adopted after cod 3

is actually COD 3 who started the cinematic action-movie style,COD 4 and onwanrds only increased the cinamatic style.

Avatar image for Macutchi
#8 Posted by Macutchi (6472 posts) -

@fovereveralone: what are you basing that on?

Avatar image for fovereveralone
#9 Edited by FovereverAlone (21 posts) -

@Macutchi said:

@fovereveralone: what are you basing that on?

Cod 3 has alot of cutscenes and lots of quick time events:

Loading Video...

not saying COD 3 is too cinematic but compared to the previously ones COD 3 is definitly more action-movie based.

Avatar image for Macutchi
#10 Posted by Macutchi (6472 posts) -

@fovereveralone: i personally find cod 3 closer to cod 2 in style and feel than cod 4, but i can see where you're coming from

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
#11 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (21377 posts) -

@fovereveralone said:

@Black_Knight_00: true,this definitely make the game more beatable in veteran,i also never noticed before the save/load feature in menu.

That makes you the ultimate badass though: you beat CoD1 on veteran with checkpoints only, that's nuts.

Avatar image for jeezers
#12 Edited by jeezers (2096 posts) -

1. Cod 2

2.Cod 1

3.Cod 4

4. Cod waw