Anyone else agrees that call of duty 1 has the best gameplay of the COD series ?

#1 Posted by FovereverAlone (36 posts) -

I always rated COD 1 as my least liked in the series because the campaign is too short and very dated graphics, but still cod 1 is my most played COD i keep replaying cod 1 over and over again,if COD 1 is my least favourite cod game why i keep replaying it ? after i finished COD WOW i finally realesed why,simply, the later COD's(Cod 4 MW,Cod MW 2,Cod WOW and to some extent Cod 2) are not enjoyable to play in single player.COD 1 gameplay is very straight foward you kill enemies you advance to objective,gunplay is very good you know when you hit your enemies and the visual clarity is clean,COD 2 introduced the shit "enemies keep respawning until you move to a certain point" cod 4 made it worse by adding infinite enemies respawn,gunplay in cod 2 and specially in later cod's got worse and worse you barely know if you hit someone in SP and weapons became worse to aim too,visual clarity got worse too ! (too much smoke and bullet effects too much enemies respawning in every corner too),COD MW 2 has a shitty blood visual effect that cover all over you screen when you in low health which makes impossible to see anything and if you are playing on veteran 30% of the time you ain't going too see nothing ! COD WOW and COD 2 are too repetitive ! is just same shit (you allies and enemies keep respawing until you move to trigger point).COD 4 also enemies keep respawing and visual clarity is awful but atleast the game have a good narrative and pacing to compesate.

So overall i think COD 2 added a huge decline to the gameplay and its only got worse and worse.I still like all COD's but the only one i bother to replay is COD 1,do you guys feel the same about the COD series ?

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
#2 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (21462 posts) -

CoD1 is the only one in the series that made me feel like I was in a real war, especially the snow levels. The other games are a lot of fun (up until BO2 which was just boring), but they feel like action movies, while CoD1 was very down-to-earth.

#3 Posted by FovereverAlone (36 posts) -

@Black_Knight_00: another thing,in cod 1 on veteran you need to play like you were in Arma games,taking cover as much as possible because if you take damage and go below 33% health the auto-checkpoint is disable for the rest of the level and in veteran there no medical kits,right at the beginning of the first mission in united offensive expansion there a Rail shooter section,in this sections you can't take cover to avoid damage ! instead you need to kill enemies as fast as possible:

Loading Video...

even if you manage to beat the rail shooter section(which is already hard enough) if you take any k-98k bullet damage or more than three MP40 bullet damage you going to lose auto-checkpoint and since there no manual save game in the game,you have to manage to beat the rest of the mission without taking any damage.Call of duty 1 is by far the harddest cod out there(and without shit enemies respawn and granade spam),i admit the Veteran difficulty is too hard for me(i could barely beat the first UO mission in Hard Mode)but is definitely something for people who looking for challeging fps games.

#4 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (21462 posts) -

@fovereveralone: CoD1 had quicksaves though. F5

#5 Posted by Macutchi (6590 posts) -
@Black_Knight_00 said:

CoD1 is the only one in the series that made me feel like I was in a real war, especially the snow levels. The other games are a lot of fun (up until BO2 which was just boring), but they feel like action movies, while CoD1 was very down-to-earth.

i'd say it was from cod 4 onwards when the game switches to the action movie style.

i much preferred the authentic and atmospheric style of the early games when it was tales of groups of unremarkable men together overcoming overwhelming odds vs the heroics of a single super soldier format the series adopted after cod 3

#6 Edited by FovereverAlone (36 posts) -

@Black_Knight_00: true,this definitely make the game more beatable in veteran,i also never noticed before the save/load feature in menu.

#7 Posted by FovereverAlone (36 posts) -

@Macutchi said:
@Black_Knight_00 said:

i'd say it was from cod 4 onwards when the game switches to the action movie style.

i much preferred the authentic and atmospheric style of the early games when it was tales of groups of unremarkable men together overcoming overwhelming odds vs the heroics of a single super soldier format the series adopted after cod 3

is actually COD 3 who started the cinematic action-movie style,COD 4 and onwanrds only increased the cinamatic style.

#8 Posted by Macutchi (6590 posts) -

@fovereveralone: what are you basing that on?

#9 Edited by FovereverAlone (36 posts) -

@Macutchi said:

@fovereveralone: what are you basing that on?

Cod 3 has alot of cutscenes and lots of quick time events:

Loading Video...

not saying COD 3 is too cinematic but compared to the previously ones COD 3 is definitly more action-movie based.

#10 Posted by Macutchi (6590 posts) -

@fovereveralone: i personally find cod 3 closer to cod 2 in style and feel than cod 4, but i can see where you're coming from

#11 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (21462 posts) -

@fovereveralone said:

@Black_Knight_00: true,this definitely make the game more beatable in veteran,i also never noticed before the save/load feature in menu.

That makes you the ultimate badass though: you beat CoD1 on veteran with checkpoints only, that's nuts.

#12 Edited by jeezers (2331 posts) -

1. Cod 2

2.Cod 1

3.Cod 4

4. Cod waw

#13 Posted by FovereverAlone (36 posts) -

so i did beat call of duty 1 in veteran without saves,is hard but not impossible,basically is just a reload simulator,the two solo missions(Eder Dam and Sabotage the Tirpitz) are hard but the harddest mission is Pavlov's House,**** that shit !

So i tried the united offensive on veteran and i couldn't handle it,way too fucking hard ! so instead i started a new game on hard mode,is almost hard as the original cod 1 campaign on veteran,but i have noticed one thing...is just me or the last mission in call of duty united offensive is impossible to beat on above the normal difficulty ? i tried to beat that shit for 8 hours straight but its just impossible ! one bullet of a sniper takes like 70% of your health and you can't keep in cover because Stuka's are constant dropping bombs on you,so WTF i supposed to do ? **** that shit ! i just give it up.

Loading Video...

so someone did complete that mission by cheesing up the AI,makes sense ! that mission is impossible to beat without cheesing.

#14 Posted by stjimmy1017 (19 posts) -

A game like Call of Duty 2 or later ones, need to have regenerating health because you have enemies spawning and shooting at you from all directions. COD 1 was more of a lone wolf campaign like the Medal of Honor games but it was from COD 2 that one gets to experience the vastness and gigantic scales of war. Hence the enemy respawns. You cannot help but take damage from enemies in these games, adding a certain vulnerability to your player. If you had a health point system in these games it would just become a lot more tedious and frustrating, requiring you to find health packs every now and then. Check out this video and you'll know what I mean:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwxKOcteZlw