jamzzee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jamzzee
Member since 2009 • 385 Posts

what new does it bring to the table, is the story and world so rivoting it warrants a play for those that done fo3 and eventually got bored of new vegas.

or more of the same..like a new call of duty, been there done that got the t-shirt multiple times..

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 poe13
Member since 2005 • 1441 Posts

I pre-ordered this game and for a while I had a lot of fun with Fallout 4. I put in exactly 100 hours and I will get back to it (once I finish FF9, and the two Riddick games on my Games to Beat list), but I will admit, it is more Far Cry than Fallout now.

Other people have expressed these same complaints in better ways, but I'll try and re-articulate them for you. In Fallout 3 and New Vegas (more so in New Vegas), you often times have the option to not kill, but follow a questline and see the outcome happen a different way. For example, F3 had the Paradise Falls quest where you could either enslave all of the people on Eulogy Jones' list and bring them back to him and be evil, or you could kill all of the Paradise Falls' guards and free all of the slaves. New Vegas had so many factions that had you choosing different sides and there was a certain point when a decision you made would impact the other factions you could have gotten positive/negative feelings with and you would eventually not be able to continue in their questlines because you were favoring NPR over Caesar's Legion or Yes Man or whatever. In both games you could do quests that did not have to lead to killing people (just enemies like feral ghouls or super mutants, etc). You could send a crazy bunch of religious ghouls to the moon in a rocket in New Vegas or you could have it fail, you could blow up Megaton in F3 or you could use your Mechanical skills once they reached a certain level and disable the atom bomb, thus making the mayor like you and the shady guy in the bar hate you for not taking that special opportunity. Sometimes in these games, there were 3 or even 4 outcomes that could happen with some of these quests. Hell, I heard there is like 17 different endings in New Vegas depending on all the different choices you made with each one of the factions (even though all it ends up doing is being a slideshow montage with Ron Perlman saying a new line or omitting one depending on what you chose to do).

The bottom line, is that Fallout 3 and New Vegas have creativity with the quests, which is the most important part of these games.

Fallout 4, on the other hand, FAILS super hard in this aspect, unfortunately.

Fallout 4 has awesome gunplay. No more are you moving around at a slow pace with a wooden sort of walk to avoid enemy fire. Now you can sprint (use up AP) to hide behind cover and firing your weapon is much faster now. Guns don't degrade (which I like) and the aiming is nice as well. It is a very neat FPS with light RPG elements now. The music is the best it has ever been, imo. The background music is a lot better, but I do kind of miss Fallout 3's background theme sometimes. Also, many of the old songs from F3 are back in this one in addition to new ones as well. The radio has 2 hours of music tracks and then there is another station that has violin classical stuff on it. The graphics are fine, better than the previous ones, but of course its no MGSV or Witcher 3. Collecting junk is nice because everything has a use, whether for gun mods or adding to make your settlement look better or have more beds or better looking houses is up to you. Personally, I hated that the range of armors feels very limited. I thought New Vegas had more armor sets than this one. The power armor is cool, but I don't like the fact that if you run out of the cores (which might take a while because you eventually can get a lot of them), you are unable to even use the power armor.

The world is awesome. It is filled with very neat locations and many of them are very neat like an overpass that goes for a long way over part of the city. There are skyscrapers that you can go up into taller stories. There is the radiated bottom part of the map that is filled with deathclaws and radscorpions that will kill the shit out of you and you need to wear power armor there or the rads will also kill you. Its also thundering down there and it makes for a scary change in scenery. There are some really eerie and awesome locations that I can see would fit in a post-apocalyptic world.

And then there are the quests, which suck. There are a handful of quests that do not involve killing and are creative. I won't go into detail because spoilers (didn't do that for F3 and New Vegas, but those games have been out for 6+ years now)...but there are some, not many. Most of the quests have you going to retrieve something for someone and/or killing everyone there. There are factions, but it is not as well thought out as New Vegas was. I didn't feel that my choices really had much more meaning than just to anger the opposing faction, maybe. One guy said it best on these forums. You stumble upon a neat looking area, think "wow this is really cool, I wonder if I'll be helping someone like Moira test out a repellant stick on molerats or scope out some alleyways and streets with a suspicious "bodyguard" with thugs playing dead in New Vegas" then "Nope! I'm just clearing out all the ghouls". Wow! Look at this metro station, could there be some new thing I could do here-Nope! just killing all the raiders here. You go to a new place and wipe everyone out and do it all over in each part of the game that you visit. The creativity from the past 2 games is gone now. Sure it is a fun shooter, but there is not much Fallout in Fallout 4 anymore, because what drew me to Fallout was the creative quests and the feeling that my choices made a difference. I could either save, or kill, or sometimes go a completely new route that I never would have thought about. There is no karma system anymore, which really screws up the feeling like a good guy or nasty villain out to screw everyone, kill, and make slaves of people like you could do in the past.

I know I put a lot of words into this post when you probably won't read that much of it, but I put a lot into this game. It sounds silly, but I wanted this game to be the best game I would ever play. I've played a lot of games, A LOT OF GAMES! I loved Fallout 3 and New Vegas. I like this one, but it doesn't feel much more than Far Cry pretending to be Fallout, sadly because I'm usually either just killing everything or retrieving something for somebody so I can get 50 caps. They put too much effort in the mechanics, graphics, settlements, mods, and voice acting, and forgot what made Fallout 3 special and different from other RPGs and shooters on the market. And that is why this game is sadly, a mild failure. Not a total failure, it is still fun to play. But it does not totally feel like Fallout. Some of the main quests are cool though...the ones where you aren't killing everyone in a building or whatever.

jamzzee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jamzzee

no i read it all haha thanks.

Well i agree that i enjoy the gunplay in this one, a far cry in a fallout world wouldnt be the worst game in the world though tbh even if not a fallout game. However, surely you are over exagerrating to make the point BUT there must be some cool and interesting missions.

I didnt enjoy fnv much but fo3 i did and there were loadsa of cool missions and side missions one would stumble upon i agree. I mean if this game is just a case of kill/fetch quest i might just drop it. But then again i want to explore world if there are interesting areas to visit and characters to see?

And the main story becomes interesting?

Well i just started ME3 so thats that and installed system shcok 2 but i have FO4 installed so i not gonna delete it

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

@jamzzee: The main story is personal (can't say more without spoiling it), I sure liked it better than the New Vegas story, which was something about a 300 year old guy on life support. I guess companion quests add some value to the game, and the character build is perhaps the best thing in the game. Perk chart is very clear and makes sense, and adds to the game's replay value, since you always have to sacrifice something, and for better perks you have to sacrifice more, you get the picture... But that's an artificial way to keep you playing, like the other guy said, you don't have that many choices like in FO3 and NV. Even different dialogue options sometimes cause the same answer, with the only difference being whether your companion likes it or not (not what you said but the way you said it).

A piece of advice: don't leave any special skill at 1, make it at least 2, and study the perk chart well the first time you level up (use alt to see what each next rank brings). Each perk has a special and a level requirement, with each next rank having a new level requirement. Maybe that's obvious for some, but it took me a while to figure it out :).

jamzzee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jamzzee

ok but is it fun, i enjoted fo3 but got bored of fnv

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10435 Posts

@jamzzee said:

Well i just started ME3 so thats that and installed system shcok 2 but i have FO4 installed so i not gonna delete it

i guess to answer the thread title the reason to play it would be that you already bought it and installed it, no?

jamzzee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jamzzee

yeh but i got 100s installed lol so still need 2 choose

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

I'm replaying it right now, going for a different character and different fractions, so it's fun enough. I mentioned Dying Light on your other thread, and I have to admit I enjoyed it more because of the unique atmosphere. I see no replay value in that one, tho.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Macutchi
@jamzzee said:

yeh but i got 100s installed lol so still need 2 choose

why would you buy it and not play it?

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

If you bought it, why not give it a try? If you want something very different from FO3, it won't scratch that itch. But it's bigger, more diverse (IMO) with a lot of improvements and a few new things. I think the world is a little less inherently enthralling, but having lived in Boston for many years I prefer it to the FO3 setting. If I hadn't, I might have preferred the capitol wasteland in FO3.

I think it's better on the whole, but it's definitely very "familiar" so if you are tired of the new take on FO this is probably going to continue to feel tired

jamzzee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jamzzee

i have a bad habit of buying games and then playing 2-3hrs before buying new game which is what i done here.

PfizersaurusRex u prefer dying light? i have that to

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Macutchi
@jamzzee said:

i have a bad habit of pirating games and then playing 2-3hrs before pirating a new game which is what i done here.

PfizersaurusRex u prefer dying light? i pirated that to

if you've played it for 2-3 hours and it didn't grab you then that's your answer

jamzzee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jamzzee

it did but no game grab me much these days more enjoying me3 tbh

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 poe13

Ugh, it's so devastating for me personally. I enjoyed both 3 and New Vegas. They were great mixes between RPG and FPS, but the gunplay/movement was broken imo.

Now the gunplay and movement has greatly improved, but the quests suffer and for the most part are kill/fetch quests just like Skyrim. Oh, I forgot to mention the dialogue system is complete trash now. It is like Mass Effect. Whereas in 3 and NV you could have 5, 6, 7, maybe 10 different dialogue options when first talking with an NPC to ask them about something, respond to a question, use bad karma to be mean or good karma to be good, or other kinds of dialogue I'm missing, NOW in F4 you only have 4 options each corresponding to a different RESPONSE to what the NPC says. I get that with voice acting it would be just tons more talking and work on Bethesda's part, but that was another one of my favorite parts about 3 and NV was talking with the NPCs and getting as much out of them information or reaction-wise as possible. Now, pretty much all the dialogue for your character is some kind of response and it's either sarcasm, anger, nice, or questionable/whatever.

If Fallout 4 combined the great gunplay/movement mechanics and better graphics (THE ONLY ASPECTS OF FALLOUT 3 and NEW VEGAS THAT NEEDED IMPROVEMENT) with the creative quests from 3 and New Vegas, then I think it would be safe to say that this game would have been one of the all time greatest video games. As it is now, its just a good "RPG" game that you can get lost in and have some enjoyment with.

I know I keep whining about it, but I just get so torn apart thinking about what could have been, especially with how ecstatic I was when they did the surprise announcement last year at E3 after being relatively dark about the series.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Macutchi

@poe13 said:

As it is now, its just a good "RPG" game that you can get lost in and have some enjoyment with

i'd argue it isn't even much of an rpg anymore. it's just a fps with an inventory system and dialogue choices. it reminds me to a little extent of the difference between mass effect one and two. it's still fun enough for around 15 hours or so but felt more a fallout 3.5 than 4, despite them shoehorning an ultimately rather pointless base building feature in. and the graphics are at times hideous (ps4). play something like mgsv, witcher 3 or arkham knight then play fallout 4 and it feels more last gen than this gen

jamzzee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jamzzee

@Macutchi said:
@jamzzee said:

i have a bad habit of pirating games and then playing 2-3hrs before pirating a new game which is what i done here.

if you've played it for 2-3 hours and it didn't grab you then that's your answer

aye aye captain, pirate jamzee at your services lol

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

Fallout 4 its great game for me i enjoying

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Macutchi

@jamzzee said:
@Macutchi said:
@jamzzee said:

aye aye captain, pirate jamzee at your services lol

must've have been a bit too subtle for you when you first replied. pretty obvious you hadn't paid for it.

so what this thread boils down to is you're too lazy to try out your stolen games?

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 poe13

@Macutchi: Well yeah, that's why I said "RPG" in quotes because it is hardly that. You're right though. I'm so saddened. I wanted this to be THE game. I mean, Fallout 3 was kind of a big deal when it came out and I still go back to it, just like New Vegas and Oblivion. They really did not improve very much once you get past the initial glitter of the game (which for this massive game is the first 10 hours).

jamzzee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jamzzee

yeh thats what i mean u play a game hoping for it to expand and bring more excitement...that doesnt come with fallout 4? seems same in division, gonna play hoping for soemthing new to come but its not happening

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#21 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

To be honest, not as good as 3 or NV. Every mission boils down to go here, kill everyone. The rpg elements have been stripped bare, there are far less ways to finish quests without violence, and the quests dont branch at all either. On top of all that, the performance is horrid. Im on an fx6200, an r9 380x 4gb and 16 gb of ram, I should be able to slaughter this game at 60fps regardless with how crappy it looks. Its a shooter with Fallout paint on the surface IMHO.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

I've just started playing it and am really enjoying it... but I'm new to the series, so I can't really compare it.

nerdds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By nerdds
Member since 2016 • 39 Posts

I like Fallout 4 just fine.. Still FIFA 16 though..

EthanCromwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 EthanCromwell
Member since 2016 • 9 Posts

Same here! I loved Fallout 4, from my point of view is an excellent game, with a good graphic (could be better of course, but overall is ok).

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

Not sure I'm enjoying it as much as I thought actually... I've put about 10-15 hours into it and I'm getting bored. There's just something missing to me.

I shouldn't be surprised but because I've never been able to get into Bethesda games for some reason... I've tried many times to like their games (especially Elder Scrolls), but just never have. Which is weird considering I love those types of SP focused games. Oh well.

Di0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Di0
Member since 2016 • 14 Posts

Fallout 4 improves a lot of stuff mechanically, the shooting especially, and adds a whole lotta crafting gameplay in there.
If ur into building stuff from the ground up, collecting materials to make cool weapons and gear, build settlements, u'll have a good time playing.
Game suffers in terms of story and meaningful side quests. **** saving that settlement for Preston Garvey for the 100th time.
I put in about 170 hours into the game, did all the factions, finished all the quests, and I'm done.
Not going back into this one.

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 2310 Posts

Fallout 4 is great, they just messed up the dialogue system

jamzzee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jamzzee

so u guys are saying if i play this game im not gonna get into interesting side missions and a quialty main mission.

Thats what i liked about fo3 so much tbh...

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 poe13

^Yes, that's right. It's Far Cry now. Who cares about meaningful choices in games, WHEN I JUST WANNA FUCKING KILL EVERYONE AND EVERYTHING. Karma system? Nah, **** that. Just go here and kill everyone and don't worry about being a savior or a devil for your reputation, because it is all just a game and nobody really gives a shit anyway because they're just NPCs, not real people. See all these awesome locations (underwater submarine, long overpass highway, skyscrapers, radiated sea with creepy storms, vaults, settlements, etc)? Yeah, just kill everyone and that'll be good enough. Oh you wanted quests with creativity like the "Whodunit?" Dark Brotherhood quest in Oblivion or "The Replicated Man" quest in Fallout 3 or...shit, nothing in Skyrim because that's just one big kill/fetch quest game....well, sorry man. Times change and the money is where the violence is.

Sarcasm/heavy loathing aside, I wish they would've put more effort into making a much more engaging story at least. I was under the impression it was going to be like Blade Runner with all the references about androids and that Replicated Man quest in Fallout 3 was truly well put together. But I am really starting to think Bethesda either must've got rid of all their quest scriptwriters or just completely had them working on other parts of the game because YES, outside of a handful of quests (I wanna say about 10 or less quests), it is either KILL ALL THESE ENEMIES or BRING ME A BASEBALL BAT. This is Fallout 4 now. I'm exaggerating, but it sucks. If I wanted to kill everything, I'll buy the newest CoD or Battlefield when they come out. If I wanted bullet sponging artificial difficulty (rather than actually difficult A.I. like in F.E.A.R.) I'd pick up The Division and repeat the same shit over and over, emptying bullets out on opponents and getting that new Purple or Blue loot drop.

jamzzee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jamzzee

ok i know u guys say its not rpg like original fallout but surely you are all just exagerating to make the point? it cant be just like far cry wasteland edition? Or is it?

the locations u mention make me keen to play and explore the game, sounds like many cool places to see?

But you saying there are literally 0 or only a handful of missions that get you intrigued and excitied.

i didnt care much for fonv but what i loved about fo3 was exploring all those old goverment type buildings, museums and library and dogg or w/e on the radio, it was just exciting to explore and then get varied and random missions and meet random people with interesting quests along the way. You saying i wont get that feel from this game at all?

Its more like playing a shooter/borderlands type game but has still interesting buildings/area to explore?

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

It has Fenway Park!

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 poe13

Seriously Jamzee, if you're just looking for "exploring all those old goverment type buildings, museums and library and dogg or w/e on the radio, it was just exciting to explore" then you'll love this because the exteriors and interiors of these places are really cool. But like most of us have all been saying, it just doesn't offer much unique/creative quests. The dialogue is very bare as well. But if you like killing things in unique places in a post-apocalyptic setting, you won't give a shit. Nobody gives a shit anymore. The money is where the violence is and **** creativity if I can do fetch quests or kill all these synths and brotherhood and steal all their loot. That's what this game is. Period. Just kill, get their loot, repeat. It is actually more like Borderlands actually than Far Cry.

Just play the game if you want to kill things and explore, because they did a good job there.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#33 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@jamzzee: If Bethesda's Fallout 3 documentary is anything to go by, the purpose of Fallout 4 is to have an intoxicating amount of fun. Why you do that is because it is designed for relating with other characters in the game, it allows players to choose their own path, and a major part of the game is developing player competence. These are aspects of intrinsic motivation and are probably why this game has been well received by critics and players.

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 poe13

@BranKetra: Okay, but the point I'm making is that the relating to other characters, choosing own paths is very much gone in Fallout 4. Don't get me wrong, I like this game. But when you have many people voicing the same complaints about how quests have become so limited in terms of depth and freedom of choice (besides choosing between rescuing or killing) and the dialogue is very much streamlined like Mass Effect and not as elaborate as the many dialogue choices that came in the previous 2 iterations of this series, well you're only left with the settlement building, exploring, finding new things/enemies/places/weapons/armor, and just killing everything. It has become a very shallow game now; again, I do not hate this game, but I don't love it.

Here is a big reason as to why Fallout New Vegas is more immersive without the flash/sizzle of newer graphics and better gun mechanics: http://i.imgur.com/n3ZCaR0.jpg

That is a reddit post that shows a quest tree comparison between Fallout New Vegas and Fallout 4, and while it may be a TINY bit exaggerated, it is displaying the lack of creativity and overall lack of CHOOSING YOUR OWN PATH (which I agree with you, that is what Fallout is about...or was anyway). Now there is no karma system. So if you kill or steal while you are NOT being observed by anyone, it doesn't matter. For me, after 100 hours, I do not feel like I CHOSE MY OWN PATH, but rather that I followed one of the four possible routes through a game. Now it feels more like an illusion, rather than an immersive experience. Games are an illusion, of course, but when you FEEL the illusion rather than being truly immersed in a game's setting, that is where the game fails at being immersive anymore. Bethesda has been sadly getting progressively worse with this with each new game that they put out thanks to the kill/fetch quests gradually replacing the more creative ones.

That is my point.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By branketra

@poe13: That is like saying that the earth is uninteresting because a person can only travel to a limited number of places. That could be scaled down to Fallout 4, and it would not be engaging for the same reason, fundamentally. I think that you can view it that way if you would like to, but it is not the best way to go about playing games. Furthermore, players can be conscious of an illusory goal and of illusory rules, and still be immersed in a game the same way that people can be aware that they are upset or happy about something then continue to argue or laugh.

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 poe13

@BranKetra: I mean I guess it depends on if the player has played any Fallouts before this one or if this is his first one. Coming off of the last two, this game to me is only immersive with the settings, movement/gun mechanics, and the radiation storms that pass through every so often. It falls on its face with immersion in regards, again, to the lack of creative quests and uninteresting dialogue with NPCs compared to 3 and NV.

So, sure. If someone never played any Fallouts before this one, I can see him/her being immersed decently enough. But after the last 2 games, this one just feels like an FPS with some trading and resource building added in.

Also, going with your analogy. Yes, the Earth is uninteresting with a limited number of places, but (I will also add) if everyone you visit within that limited amount of places in your life (such as work, school, grocery store, friends' houses) said things like "Can you go to the library and pick up a book on flying kites for me? I'll give you 100 caps" or "Can you kill all the bugs in this room for me? I'll give you a special piece of clothing", things would eventually get pretty boring, don't you think? Imagine if instead of being forced to kill all those bugs, what if I could just lure them all into another room of the apartment and get that other person mad at the "questgiver" and a fight would ensue and then depending on a Random Number Generator, Person X or Person Y wins the fight and the questline continues from there. This is how Fallout 3 and New Vegas would work. You do something a certain way, this causes an event to happen, this triggers another event to happen and now you are forced into choosing from 2 or 3 other different routes based on your actions. That's also how real-life Earth works. I could choose to do the chores, I could choose not to do them, I could choose to argue with my Mom and if I have enough Speech points I can get away with not doing them and even forcing my brother to do them. Things like this used to be in 3 and NV and that is what I want. Quests triggering events triggering different outcomes and quests, NOT do a quest and get the reward or just don't do it.

Fallout 4 has it that you either choose to kill/fetch the item for the questgiver or you just don't accept the quest. I'm not saying people won't get immersed in this, but compared to the LAST 2 Fallout games, it is going to feel VERY primitive.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By branketra

@poe13: Having played the Fallout 2 and 3 to completion, Fallout 4 is not boring to me. I think that seeking the best in gaming is good, but I think that demanding the best in solely scientific terms in what is in some ways an art form is viewing the industry with a subjective perspective that when used to confront the views of others comes across as interpretation without playing as the designers and developers intended similar to exegetically reading. As such, I think that applications of said interpretation are inhibited by seeking to bring outside influences into the game. This is how reviews about gaming based on other consoles with totally different games like during the original Wii's production when there were exclusive games criticized for not having as high grade graphics as the PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360.

Similarly, complaining about marginal costs in quests (time) for their marginal benefits (quest rewards) for their niche appeal being for a homogeneous group of players who like those quests shows that you would like something that Fallout 4 was not designed to provide. If you do not like it, that is fine, but I suppose folks with similar opinions dislike popular sports like American football or football for the rest of the world because there are only so many ways to score a goal. Many people like this simplistic play because like Fallout 4 there are multiple ways to approach scoring goals or playing games. People can compare any of these games with each other, but if video games are art then I think that scrutinizing the meta-narrative should take precedence.

Why are we killing these opponents? For what reason it is fun to fight them? Why are these quests fun or not so much entertaining?

If we go by Bartle's player types, then I would say that Fallout 4's dungeon-like buildings are best tailored to achievers because of the process of completing them. However, the open world aspect is for explorers. Socializers have an opportunity to interact with the characters in the game world, and they can share pictures and video with people throughout the world. Killers, what Bartle called the people seeking the highest status in gaming, are not excluded, either, because they have opportunities to build the best forts.

There is much content in Fallout 4, but like all games, it is not designed for everyone.

jamzzee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jamzzee

just played a couple of hours and enjoying it so far and very much immersed in the world with headphones on....early days though...

jamzzee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jamzzee

played another hr really enjoying this far better than fnv, reminds me bioshok some ways when indoors, hope it keeps me hooked

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#40 Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2862 Posts

i havent thought bout getting this game much since i still haven't really played Fallout 3 since buying it years ago. briefly played it and basically got out of the vault and didn't get back to it since.

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 poe13

@BranKetra: Well again, I believe it just depends on if you played and loved Fallout 3 and/or New Vegas or you never did. You put out a lot of good points that I believe gamers not used to the Fallout universe will be able to immerse themselves in. Building forts, showing others online pictures and video content of new areas you found, and why are we killing these enemies. Sure, that is fun and unique to build a fort and show the world (I myself liked the AT-AT fort and the Bioshock Infinite Colombia settlement these players have made)...

but if you went into this game, like many of us did, coming from the two previous Fallouts with the creative depth both in questline and dialogue choices and you found that this new one is rather VERY LIMITED in terms of choosing your own path regarding the many different routes and branching off of questlines that you could participate in COMPARED to 3 and New Vegas, that is where I know for a fact the mixed feelings and disappointment stem from. You have players putting in a range of 30-400 hours that post their reviews on Steam and regardless of whether or not its a positive/negative review, the common complaint is that it is not a Fallout game. Why? Because of the lack in depth in both the questline options and dialogue choices that made the previous two Fallouts enjoyable (DESPITE their shortcomings with gun and movement controls compared to shooting games released during their times).

That is why people are angry at this game.

jamzzee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 jamzzee

honestly cannot get enough of this game, I cant put it down! haha same old to many people so harsh on games these days, seem the spend more time moaning than playing them.

Could not get into nv at all and the gunplay felt poor and world a bit empty, this is non stop fun, cool locations, cool battles, cool gun fights, cool missions so far...love going about with my dog as well. WOnt get to excited though as early days still.

Im a fps fan anyway but havent noticed a lack of rpg elements so far just more action and less boring walking in middle of nowehere like previous ones

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#43  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

It's enjoyable, a worthy installment, it just does not have any staying power. When I finished the relatively short (relative to Skyrim, New Vegas, Oblivion, etc) campaign--and this is after doing a lot of side quests, as well--I kind of sat there and was like "Well, that was fun; time to get back to Skyrim and Just Cause 3"

So that kind of sums it up: it's a fun game, but as far as worlds I want to play around in, I'd rather go back to Skyrim's.

I'm still kind of mad they didn't make melee combat fun, or try to build a better VATS mechanic around it; I know melee has never been a strong point for Fallout or even TES, but it could be a bit better, especially in Fallout. I mean, the animations you could do with brass knuckes with knives taped to it are endless!

I don't know, do what you want. But if I didn't own the game by now, well, I'd wait until all the DLCs are out and buy the special edition or something for cheaper.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By branketra

@poe13: That is the same thing you said earlier which I responded to, yesterday. I will reiterate. I do not think that video game franchises, which are in some ways artistic products or services, need to build from previous titles with very similar content in order to offer players enjoyable experiences. The idea that they do is an unspoken rule of a priori asserting the necessity of what came before built into the present project only if it is a positive element. It may please fans, generate revenue for designers, developers, and publishers, or be well received by critics.

I think that the purpose of including content similar in scope to previous titles is relevant. Some say that gaming should be about entertainment. If that is what you would like, then perhaps Fallout 3 or New Vegas' stories are more suited to you. Others may say that gaming should be about skill growth, so gameplay with many similar quest goals would help grow a particular skillset.

Think about Pong. That game has one goal in that one player bounces the moving square past the other player's moving goalie. Over time, player skill specific to this playstyle grows. When Pong was released, people very much liked it. They liked it so much that there were many spinoffs.

The point is, gaming does not have to be about diverse gameplay for players to enjoy the experience. As you mentioned, you enjoyed what Fallout 4 offers, despite comparing it to other games.

jamzzee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 jamzzee

@mrbojangles25 said:

It's enjoyable, a worthy installment, it just does not have any staying power. When I finished the relatively short (relative to Skyrim, New Vegas, Oblivion, etc) campaign--and this is after doing a lot of side quests, as well--I kind of sat there and was like "Well, that was fun; time to get back to Skyrim and Just Cause 3"

So that kind of sums it up: it's a fun game, but as far as worlds I want to play around in, I'd rather go back to Skyrim's.

I'm still kind of mad they didn't make melee combat fun, or try to build a better VATS mechanic around it; I know melee has never been a strong point for Fallout or even TES, but it could be a bit better, especially in Fallout. I mean, the animations you could do with brass knuckes with knives taped to it are endless!

I don't know, do what you want. But if I didn't own the game by now, well, I'd wait until all the DLCs are out and buy the special edition or something for cheaper.

well i guess they put more times into guns and thin melee not be used so much.

as for jc3 its to repetiive and a silly game to play 30min or so imo, no depth to it.

i might reinstall skyrim i got bored of pooor combat and then at some point i kept dieing to dragons.

my new computer 1-2 years old would blow it away now so wonder if/what mods i should put on for a prettier/better game?

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 poe13

@BranKetra: Oh okay. Then we agree.

jamzzee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 jamzzee

this settlement building also quite good fun but not sure any point in it?

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 poe13

@jamzzee: Not really. A) It lets you utilize your creativity with making unique buildings like I mentioned previously here that I liked the articles here on gamespot showing players that made a giant AT-AT settlement and Colombia from Bioshock Infinite. B) The more you invest in your settlements, the better chance they have against raider attacks which don't happen TOO frequently, but enough where you have to lend a hand sometimes.

phoenix5352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#49  Edited By phoenix5352
Member since 2011 • 387 Posts

because of price drop !!!! i guess :P

jamzzee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By jamzzee

so ive put in 22hrs now which in the world of the game feels like 5mins any other game. I havent done much at all. But im really really enjoying it. I dont get why people moan, im enjoying it more than fo3 i think, the buildings and things are more varied.

I ventured away from diamond city and got my self in trouble with some high level enemies, it was amazing adventure, i couldnt lose them nor fast travel, i decided i needed to get back to diamond city to be safe, on my journey i kept walking into new areas and picking up more enemies it was just crazy, i was going in new buildings and starting new mini adventures on my quest back to diamond city, i then decided safest bet to go in the river, so i went underwater, then when i got back to land, i picked up a few more enemies on my way back, when i reached diamond city it felt such a relief and like i was safe and coming home, i was getting away from the big bad dangerous world into safert, when the diamond city security and bots saw me coming and enemies on my tale they were like omg whats this then started attacking them. I knew i was home! I knew i was safe! my 2-3 hour jounrey back home after a random wander into the wasteland was finally complete and along the way i discovered loads new areas and picked up some real cool weapons i hadnt seen before. Now i need to get back out to these places but only once im stronger and have lvld up more.

This is the beauty of the game. Im not even following any quests but making my own story/adventure up just by playing it. Coming from playing a game like division its in a different world. Division pracitally minmal story or variety just shoot shoot shoot, here so opposite/