Any game genres you are happy are dying?

Dr_dreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Dr_dreads
Member since 2019 • 19 Posts

As a few days ago I talked about game genres you would like to see more off.

Are there any game genres you are happy they are dying off and why?

Dragerdeifrit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#2 Dragerdeifrit
Member since 2010 • 769 Posts

Regular MP shooters like CoD and battlefield, the popularity and accessibility of these games nearly killed gaming during the ps3/360 era, many franchises were ruined to the ground thanks to the influence of the casualisation brought by the finacial success of these kind of games. Final fantasy XIII and Resident evil 6 are good examples of this.

I know they are not exactly "dying off", but their influence and presence are no longer as strong as it was back then. if it weren't for the success Skyrim, Dark souls and Witcher3, gaming would of been completely murdered for the more dedicated userbase. Thankfully, ps4/Xone generation was pretty good and less developers jumped on the "wanna be like COD!" bandwagon, we even got to see Capcom redemeption arc. So yeah, i'm glad that "Dudebro" shooters are dying off, even if battle royales are taking their place.

Raining51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Raining51
Member since 2016 • 1162 Posts

I disagree that like any genre has truly died at this point IMO.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

No one’s forcing you to buy anything so why should you care what others enjoy?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@Dragerdeifrit said:

Regular MP shooters like CoD and battlefield, the popularity and accessibility of these games nearly killed gaming during the ps3/360 era, many franchises were ruined to the ground thanks to the influence of the casualisation brought by the finacial success of these kind of games. Final fantasy XIII and Resident evil 6 are good examples of this.

I know they are not exactly "dying off", but their influence and presence are no longer as strong as it was back then. if it weren't for the success Skyrim, Dark souls and Witcher3, gaming would of been completely murdered for the more dedicated userbase. Thankfully, ps4/Xone generation was pretty good and less developers jumped on the "wanna be like COD!" bandwagon, we even got to see Capcom redemeption arc. So yeah, i'm glad that "Dudebro" shooters are dying off, even if battle royales are taking their place.

This!! ironically COD influence ruined the BF series and dumbed it down before COD4 the Battlefield series was slower pace and didn't have regenerating health or unless weapon upgrades it was more teamwork focused also F.E.A.R. and the Crysis sequels are also casualties of COD4.

DoomNukem3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DoomNukem3D
Member since 2019 • 445 Posts

What genres would be considered as dying off atm?

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

I think the genre of story narration sims Telltale was known for is dying out; heavily due to the studios closure.

Not exactly "happy" about it, but did at one point find them to be an abundance, despite being for a niche audience overall. And was never a personal interest, despite sometimes falling in my lap because of poor messaging.

Games like Until Dawn always came across as misleading, because most called it Survival Horror. When it was actually just a cinematic story narration.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

@Sevenizz said:

No one’s forcing you to buy anything so why should you care what others enjoy?

What other people buy affects the market, what decides to get made. If people woke up one day and suddenly wanted to eat turd sandwiches instead of chocolate, and all the chocolate companies switched to making turd sandwiches, you better believe I care what others enjoy because they're eating god damned turd sandwiches, and I can't seem to find the chocolate I used to like.

If class-based multiplayer loot shooters are super popular, then you might see a studio that excels at making story-driven RPG's forced to make the former instead of the latter because of market demand. This in turn affects myself and anyone else that might like the RPG's, and ultimately impacts the studio negatively because they were good at making RPG's, and not so good at making shooters, so now they get closed down due to bad performance. This negatively impacts everyone. Looking at you, EA and Bioware.

Furthermore, things like this tend to go in waves, as bubbles. So while some might think we are living in a golden age of Battle Royale games where there are too many BR games (which is bad), for example, in five years the bubble might burst and there might be no Battle Royale games being developed (which is also bad). I don't care if people like Battle Royale games, but I do care that enough people enjoy BR to steer mass development of games in that direction.

So, to an extent, I do care what people play, but it's more to the degree that it is played, and less the actual subject.

Thankfully things like this occur as fads, so it doesn't last forever. But it sure is annoying when everyone is making a Battle Royale game...

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Sevenizz

@mrbojangles25: That’s so stupid and selfish.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

@Sevenizz said:

@mrbojangles25: That’s so stupid and selfish.

What's stupid and selfish is having Bioware go from top-grade game developer to absolute low-grade developer because enough people like mass-produced, mass-marketed, mass-hyped shit sandwiches with a slot-machine-like micro-transaction mechanism to them. What's stupid is having yearly installments of the same damn game like Call of Duty, then thinking it's a new game because it has a BR mode; it's not new, it's the same!

Listen, if you enjoy shit sandwiches, that's fine. It's not for me, but to each their own.

But when the entire world starts eating them to the point that good, honest products stop being made and all the factories and stores start making and selling only shit sandwiches, I think it's your duty (doodie?) to shout with your loudest voice from the highest mountain "People! STOP EATING SHIT SANDWICHES! YOU ARE BETTER THAN THIS"

I am not so selfish as to say my way is the best way, but I feel I have enough common sense to know what the wrong way is. I'm not saying we need to all go start playing independent titles that are crowdfunded half-finished works in early access, but maybe try something different once in a while? You don't always have to buy what you are told to buy, you don't always have to buy a shit sandwich.

Buck the trend just enough so that the market analysts Activision, EA, and Ubisoft pay lots of money to go "Hmmmm....maybe we shouldn't make a generic, rehashed shooter that's the 15th game in the series. Maybe we should make something....new!"

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

Hell no. Diversity is always a good thing. Having more choices to make and options is a win for gamers. Just because I'm not a fan of something personally doesn't mean that it shouldn't exist.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Sevenizz

@mrbojangles25: You may not like the genre, but obviously others do or they wouldn’t be made.

For all your worrying about BR or loot shooters taking over gaming there’s what, so many of them you can probably name them all on two hands? Calm down. Multiple genres are well served and represented. Including your boring games.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#14 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

I'd have to go with the MP shooters as well. I've never been interested in them. But it's mainly due to me personally not liking them in general. I guess the community for certain titles has something to do with it.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4223 Posts

Well, I’m not sure that the rpg genre is dying, but to me, this genre is the most boring of the bore. Every third step taken is a nonsensical battle where...there is no battle. You just pretend to hit somebody in the air and some magic number appears. Honestly this just personified uninspired gameplay to me. Good for those that enjoy it, but I hate leveling up by grinding. I don’t see the point of it all. I pretty much enjoy every other genre though.

So in effect I hope this phenomena just goes away.

Raining51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Raining51
Member since 2016 • 1162 Posts

I almost wish the puzzle genre would go away sometimes though.

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 VagrantSnow
Member since 2018 • 645 Posts

MOBA. Never really gotten into it but a some of my favourite RTS franchises tried to force MOBA-like gameplay into their games and pretty much killed the whole franchise they were attached to.

heljar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 heljar
Member since 2016 • 176 Posts

@RSM-HQ: I really enjoyed the Telltale-games, maybe because they reminded me of all the Sierra and Lucasarts-games I used to play. Too bad they got owershadowed by the Walking Dead-series. They were good games, but it got very repetitve. I didn't even play the final Walking Dead-season.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

@heljar: I felt Telltale and the majority of those developers strayed away from classic Point and Click Adventure games quite a long time ago, to focused more on the cinematic storytelling. And that's because Point and Click was played out honestly.

Became more about alt ending quicktime events and overbloated conversations. Only puzzles I ever experienced in a TT game was very oblivious and almost as easy a walking input. Telltale had a clear vision of letting the 'player' watch and mildly interact with a television show.

Great for those who want it and enjoy that experience. A little on the nose for my taste.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Absolutely not. If I don't like it, it doesn't mean nobody else does. More games for everyone, I say

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#21 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

@xantufrog said:

Absolutely not. If I don't like it, it doesn't mean nobody else does. More games for everyone, I say

Gonna have to disagree brah, at least when it comes to a very specific style of game. Mobile. Not all. Just the ones that cost like, give grand to player and are designed around frustrating the player.

Not even sure really if I would call them a game.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@uninspiredcup: fair enough - I certainly wouldn't shed a tear if they were gone.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

there are certainly genres I'd like to see improved. Most notably the open world genre. I really feel that if you want to blame one style of game for hurting the depth of single player titles it's this one, not CoD. CoD style single player has been around since PS2 and Medal of Honor but never stopped great SP from being churned out on a monthly basis from elsewhere, including within the FPS genre.

Open world, on the other hand, seems to be a whole genre built around the belief that anyone who plays games also has ADHD. Instead of creating deep game mechanics, strong plots and creative mission scenarios, you just get a pile of busy work unceremoniously dropped into an empty world, stitched together with ridiculous reward mechanics and a pointless level up system that is nothing more than a time gating mechanism for the game's shallow content. Great example is anything from Ubisoft....like Farcry, why do I need to hunt down 6 ferrets before I can make my wallet bigger? Wouldn't any animal skin do? And why can't I just stick the money in my backpack right next to the 9 whole-elephant skins? It's a shotgun blast style approach to game design - if we just cram enough stuff in here, no one will notice that none of it is good enough to stand on its own.

And let me just add, I personally believe the RDR franchise is a clandestine government test to determine whether or not people can just get narcolepsy. Yes they can, apparently.

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#24 Clefdefa
Member since 2017 • 750 Posts

Beat-em-up style aren't very alive outside of Devil May Cry and I don't miss them.

The story driven point-n-click meh too ...

But what I would like to see go is the aboundance of Skill tree or RPG element in game that have nothing to do with RPG ...

Open world games with so many meaningless activity where you have to fetch some shit but of course you have to fight a shitload of ennemies in the way ... so nothing new ...

Oh and the stupid discussion tree in RPG... my I hate those.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7231 Posts

FPS COD and clones have really over saturated the market.