Animal Crossing: New Horizons is an absolute delight!

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 9111 Posts

Was sceptical at first, jump-in jump-out fan of the Animal Crossing series. They've always been clunky and refusing to modernise what they have beyond the original game. Yet they've always had this charm that lures me in to hang out with a weight lifting gorilla and build axes to make furniture

And considering many throw high review scores at any zeitgeist marketing campaign_ i.e. Luigi's Mansion 3 and Pokémon Sw/Sh being fine examples. Wasn't exactly won over, needed to play the game, avoid of spoilers, experience it myself and make my own impressions. Seeing as those other two examples are frankly flawed sequels and I see a lot more buzz than they deserve. Which always happens I guess. . they're just two examples. So was wondering if Animal Crossing also got a semi-downgrade that many praise for no good reason outside being an easily pleased customer (like the Call of Duty fanbase ⌐■-■)

Happy to say I personally feel very different about New Horizons compared to those other two

It doesn't attempt to reinvent the wheel but instead removed a lot of the outdated restrictions the series held. New Horizons is as refined as I think fans wanted Animal Crossing to be without removing the charm. Menus are far less bothersome, item over-cumbersome is far less frequent and a practical way to manage, also manages to pace the options I think better than previous games in AC. Many people abused a time skip in previous AC games because the game offered so little and now due to the new currency system I find myself with plenty to do in any given session.

And once your third villager arrives, it gives further avenues to enjoy the game. Which as mentioned above is paced really well.

*So what do other GD villagers think of the new Animal Crossing on Switch? Happy and finding it relaxing, don't get it and seems boring. . feel free to express yourself below

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 41130 Posts

Me and my daughter have been enjoying Animal Crossing: New Horizons since we got our copies through Amazon. I played several Animal Crossing games in my lifetime since GC era. Just like No Man's Sky, New Horizons is a well relaxing game I can sink many hours in. Crafting and customization adds a whole new layer to the game, which refreshes the Animal Crossing formula and makes things interesting again compare to New Leaf. Granted, I have sunk into the game, I made my Island house based on Kame House from Dragon Ball taking inspiration from my favorite anime of all times. Me and daughter both enjoying this game.

phbz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 0

#3 phbz
Member since 2009 • 5260 Posts

I decided to use this lockdown to stop smoking and this game is literally a life saver.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Speeny
Member since 2018 • 2399 Posts

Can’t quote your post on my tablet but great to hear you’re enjoying it. :)

I’m having a great time with it myself.

A lot of people, including myself have been quick to judge what it’s doing already. But I think future updates are going to expand on things a whole lot more. I have minor problems with the game and will address a few shortly.

I was playing in fairly large chunks these past few days but, only dedicating short play sessions as of right now.

The addition of Nook Miles is really neat and I’d even go to say my bug/fish encyclopedia is already 50% complete. (I don’t time travel either.)

As for some issues I have with it, I haven’t run into any islanders/villagers on the mystery tours since my 5th villager moved in.

I’d also say that the mystery tours are kind of pointless at times. I find myself not having much to do apart from hitting the rocks and farming iron nuggets and what not. 2,000 Miles is a little expensive per ticket. But, in saying that, if you’re doing a bunch of Nook Miles+ tasks daily, it’s not too bad.

On another note, people have come across Tarantula filled islands. But, because I’m in the Southern Hemisphere, I haven’t found any.

Shark farming seems to be more time-consuming. It’s probably due to the auto-save feature though. I find they’re most active early in the morning from 7am-9am and then again at around 5pm onwards.

Others are annoyed that tools break, it hasn’t bothered me though. Adds to the “build from scratch” island life experience. Plus, the crafting is fun.

Anyway! I could go on but I’m really loving it. My Resident Services tent is upgrading to a building tomorrow so I’ll be able to place some buildings accordingly considering I didn’t have the vaulting pole until I met Blathers.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Speeny
Member since 2018 • 2399 Posts

By the way, for everyone that has posted, what’s your native fruit and airport colour?

I got Apples after resetting a few times and a blue airport. I’m really happy with my map too.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 9111 Posts

@speeny said:

By the way, for everyone that has posted, what’s your native fruit and airport colour? I got Apples after resetting a few times and a blue airport.

Cherries, and orange airport, I'm content with what RNG gives me. I've yet to see apples but have gotten a lot of the different fruits from the mystery tour.

I’d also say that the mystery tours are kind of pointless at times. I find myself not having much to do apart from hitting the rocks and farming iron nuggets and what not. 2,000 Miles is a little expensive per ticket

RNG at its finest. Haven't personally found 2,000 points to be an issue. In each given session I tend to make at least four trips. That's 8,000 per session, that volume of currency is pretty generous in comparison to previous Animal Crossing games. With that stated the exchange store hasn't really given me any fun items to spend on, so its all gone towards tickets (I await my gundam)

I think the currency is only an issue for people who are trying to do an extreme amont of progression in a single sitting. And that's not what Animal Crossing is designed to do.

On another note, people have come across Tarantula filled islands.

In all my trips have yet to come across this, very exciting, I wonder what less is deeply hidden in RNG territory. Animal Crossing is pretty infamous for hiding fun secrets.

Glad you're having a good time, I know Pokémon did us both dirty so this eases things ツ

@davillain- said:

Me and daughter both enjoying this game.

That's sweet