Am scared for Red Dead Redemption 2

altron67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 176

User Lists: 11

Poll Am scared for Red Dead Redemption 2 (30 votes)

Am scared as well! 23%
Am not worried! 77%

Red Dead Redemption 2 is coming out on October 26, 2018 at the time of writing this and am worried about the state of Rockstar. With the abundant amount of microtransactions present in Grand Theft Auto 5 online and this comment from Strauss Zelnick the CEO of Take-Two Interactive: “You can’t give stuff away for free in perpetuity; there’s no business model in that.” scares me. Even if the microtransactions in RDR 2 are only in the online mode I still feel like this has gone too far. Also since we never got any GTA 5 singleplayer DLC since all resources were then shifted to GTA 5's online and development on GTA 5 for Xbox one\ ps4. After that of course, attention was then moved again to RDR 2. Will a similar situation happen to RDR 2 as well? Will we not get any single player DLC for RDR 2 either because an online component is deemed more important? Whats going to happen years down the road to GTA 5 and RDR 2's online? It's going to be totally wiped off the face of the earth! Unless of course, you play on private fan servers but we all know the player count would never be the same. Finally I hope Rockstar remembers that they have other series under there belt besides GTA and RDR. The L.A Noire HD re-release was a good start but what about a Max Payne trilogy HD collection? How about Manhunt 1 and 2 on one disc in HD for modern consoles? How about a Midnight Club HD collection? Rockstar in the past has published my all time favorite game of all time (Max Payne) and have also published some of my favorite games of all time as well. Every Rockstar game I have ever played so far has not disappointed me yet and that is why I would be so devastated if RDR has a disappointing mess of an online like GTA 5's online or worse a campaign with microtransactions.

• 
npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

I'm pretty sure that they aren't going to have micro in campaign, online though they probably will because people pay, if people didn't they wouldn't do it. I'm not going to play RDR2 for MP anyway so I'm not scared at all

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I'm not worried about the SP and as far as MP I wouldn't be playing it. I refuse to pay for online if I want to play a MP game I'll play it on PC.

Todddow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Todddow
Member since 2017 • 916 Posts

As long as the SP is as good as the previous title, I'm good. I couldn't care less about MP.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#4 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

As long as there's a solid single player campaign I'll be happy. After a brief stint with GTAO I stopped playing it and probably wont touch RDRO, so I don't really care what they do with that portion of the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
Member since 2009 • 619 Posts

I am already noticing a certain response type when it comes to the microtransactions with SP and MP modes. I too am with those who state they could care less what they decide to do with the MP modes because I as well will NOT be playing it for the MP modes. I thoroughly enjoyed the story from the first one and hope they put a lot of focus into the SP mode.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11663 Posts

@altron67 Rockstar have a pretty good success record for its huge market (sandbox shooter fans).

So long as they keep them happy, maintain the Rockstar charm, and produce the game at high production value? I really don't think fans will care; even if the shooting, level design, and riding are so-so. . . And yes, even if it's less catered to the Story mode. Fans will call it "the best game of all time" just you watch. Rockstar have a charm-of-gameplay and immersion few dislike_

Even though Grand Theft Auto V focused on the multiplayer side of things after launch, no one can question how successful a game it is. And equally what they get right, which is what these fans are happy with. Rockstar know the audience they cater for, and have done for a long time now.

This is coming from someone who hasn't clicked with a Rockstar game since Bully, and likely one of the rare few who has never owned a copy of GTAV in these Forums :P

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

I fully expect Take Two to milk it for all it's worth.

I also expect Rockstar to come up with a good single player campaign.

...but yeah I expect the equivalent to GTA Online and no additional single player content.

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#8 Clefdefa
Member since 2017 • 750 Posts

@RSM-HQ: I also don't own that game.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 RSM-HQ
@clefdefa said:

@RSM-HQ: I also don't own that game.

A rare sight to behold.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@todddow said:

As long as the SP is as good as the previous title, I'm good. I couldn't care less about MP.

Avatar image for swaggedoutsquirtle
SwaggedOutSquirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SwaggedOutSquirtle
Member since 2018 • 42 Posts

Micro transactions are hella overblown honestly, as long as they don’t affect gameplay is really is that big a deal

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RSM-HQ
@swaggedoutsquirtle said:

Micro transactions are hella overblown honestly, as long as they don’t affect gameplay is really is that big a deal

While we can all agree Grand Theft Auto V was successful, it was the first Rockstar game in well over a decade that didn't add a Single-Player expansion. So really those micro transactions did in-fact affect gameplay.

Even if you enjoy a game you should acknowledge its weaknesses; and GTAV took a different trend to increase profitability not to enhance your gaming experience.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7210 Posts

Red dead 2 won't sell anywhere near GTA 5 numbers but will sell incredibly well. I have hope rockstar will deliver even though it's a sequel.

SwaggedOutSquirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SwaggedOutSquirtle

@RSM-HQ: fair points, rockstar give us so much free content to though a lot more then a single player expansion would. It’s up to the players to not buy virtual currency with real life money, it’s not like shadow of war where you had to buy orcs if you didn’t want to grind for hours to beat the game

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56017 Posts

I'm not all worried about RDR2 because I Won't be buying the game!

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 robert_sparkes

I would rather single player expansions rather than multiplayer. You know it will have a battle royale mode that's a given. Undead nightmare was excellent for the original.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RSM-HQ

@swaggedoutsquirtle:

it’s not like shadow of war where you had to buy orcs if you didn’t want to grind for hours to beat the game

If we're in the debate on Rockstar Games being less greedy than Warner Brothers Interactive Entertainment? I fully agree.

But you've also admittedly set the bar very low, comparing Rockstar business model to a publisher that added loot-boxes to a Single-Player game, even added DLC of a deceased Dev member. . .

Not to even mention what WB does with NetherRealm studios for micro transactions. Only company I can think that does it worse than WB, is EA.

SwaggedOutSquirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SwaggedOutSquirtle

It really shouldn’t matter who does it though if it’s an AAA game. GTA online is constantly giving free content the model of GTA online isn’t based on micro transactions it’s on the content, the extra stuff is for the lazy ones who want everything now. As for the single player dlc, we wouldn’t have gotten close to enough content as we did in GTA online so it could have ultimately been a good thing. Don’t get me wrong though I don’t think micro transactions in games are a good thing it’s just that if it doesn’t affect the actual gameplay and how you progress then it isn’t as big a deal.

On another note will RDR2 even have mp?

Johndmgs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Johndmgs
Member since 2018 • 323 Posts

I have no worries that the main campaign won't be at least decent but I do kind of worry that they'll end up putting all the focus on Multiplayer after launch, like GTA5. I've read a few comments about an unused horse race track in GTA5, that people were saying would have had another heist.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#20 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I'm not too worried that it won't have a great SP. I won't hold my breath for any meaningful SP DLC this time, however. I know the online will be their main focus post-launch and I don't really want much to do with it.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1678 Posts

@RSM-HQ said:

While we can all agree Grand Theft Auto V was successful, it was the first Rockstar game in well over a decade that didn't add a Single-Player expansion. So really those micro transactions did in-fact affect gameplay.

Even if you enjoy a game you should acknowledge its weaknesses; and GTAV took a different trend to increase profitability not to enhance your gaming experience.

They did increase my gaming experience. I enjoy the online more than I do the story mode. This game has kept the online content coming and kept me and my group of friends playing since its release. It all depends on your point of view.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RSM-HQ

@heathen75: I get the view point you're aiming for. However it wasn't really relevant to what you quoted me on.

Multiplayer and the adding of constant micro transactions, though connected, are separate features in the game respectfully.

To be honest all that really told us is you like playing games online with your friends, and less that GTA Vs dip into micro transactions was a good thing.

Though as my post explained, we can all agree it was the right decision from a profitability standpoint, from a gameplay standpoint? Most certainly affected it heavily seeing as it's the first Rockstar game in a long time to not have a huge expansion

And yes. Gaming with friends is great, I do it all the time, but nothing to do with what I posted in the slightest.

Any gaming experience can be more fun with a friend or a handful I do agree, even mediocre ones.

Yet it's not like your options began or ended with Grand Theft Auto V as an online experience anyway fyi

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

i play only SP on RDR2 i excited and hyped so much

cejay0813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#24 cejay0813
Member since 2004 • 1939 Posts

Not worried since anything Rockstar puts out tends to be single player focused and free of microtransactions to that end. The issue is when you give us a bs campaign, then proceed to copy and paste a multiplayer together from the last game and flood the experience with lootboxes. That's not R*'s style

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By robert_sparkes

My only gripe with rockstar is they stopped the SP expansions in their games. But you can't complain with the content and effort they put out overall. What I like is they delay to iron out problems and finish the game properly and don't just put it out and patch it later like a number of Devs.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#26 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

Am not worried in the least.

I won't be playing this game for the mp; if there are some kind of micro-transactions in the campaign I'll just ignore them.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1678 Posts

@RSM-HQ: Micro trans are a good thing in my opinion. The success of the micro trans has allowed Rockstar to add all this extra content that I don't have to pay for. They have made the people like me who don't mind the grind happy, as well as the people who like to take shortcuts, making their game the huge success that it is. The people still hung up on the single player game is a very small percentage compared to the people who play online. Better business sense to concentrate on the online. Who said all we play is GTA? You know what they say about assuming? All I said was that we have continued to play it since its release. If you're not a fan of the micro trans, that's fine, but to say it doesn't enhance the gameplay experience is just your salty opinion as most people prefer the multiplayer, which is what they enhanced.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 RSM-HQ
@heathen75 said:

@RSM-HQ: Micro trans are a good thing in my opinion.

We will have to agree to disagree.

Only thing I see it being good to is the people making money from cheap cosmetics, that take next to no effort in being added towards these modes compared to an expansion. It's a cheap and lazy way to get more money out a game.

I understand it from a business sense, but from a Gamers perspective it's disgusting. Before the crave of loot boxes and horse armor we got free content known as 'game unlocks'.

ZombieProof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ZombieProof
Member since 2016 • 359 Posts

I'm worried about RDR 2 as well but for different reasons.

This is the first major Rockstar release since GTA III without Leslie Benzies behind the scenes. Benzies is famous for pulling the team and the resources together for a Godzilla-like prototype that later became GTA III and pulling Red Dead Redemption out of development quagmire after development quagmire.

Every Red Dead 2 trailer while beautiful, also marks the first time ever in an open world Rockstar release to feature a completely forgettable main character who's devoid of any and all charisma. I hope this isn't a symptom of Benzies' absence and isn't a hint of many and more disappointments to come.

ZombieProof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ZombieProof
Member since 2016 • 359 Posts

@heathen75 said:
@RSM-HQ said:

They did increase my gaming experience. I enjoy the online more than I do the story mode. This game has kept the online content coming and kept me and my group of friends playing since its release. It all depends on your point of view.

I'm a huge fan of the Online as well. After ignoring it for a couple of years, I recently started engaging in it with a group of friends and we're having a blast.

Folks don't give it enough credit for being the best non-subscription based crime mmo ever made.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

@RSM-HQ: I don't own GTA V either. I've just played it like a million times at other peoples houses lol. I'm not worried about RDR2 in the least bit, though. I know it will be great.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

why?

Rockstar is not your lover, you are not married to them, its not your child, 'worried about Rockstar'

for once I would like to see gamers just focus on game play

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44093 Posts

I’m not worried about Red Dead Redemption 2 myself. I had a great time with Grand Theft Auto V and didn’t spend a dime beyond the initial game purchase. I’m sure Rockstar will handle RDR2 the same way.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 robert_sparkes

I have 100% faith in rockstar I can't remember the last time they made a bad game.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts
@robert_sparkes said:

I have 100% faith in rockstar I can't remember the last time they made a bad game.

GTA 4 is on my top 5 'worst games I ever bought' list

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By robert_sparkes

It wasn't their best and the expansions were better than the base game but it wasn't a bad game in my opinion. Each to their own.

Gildao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Gildao
Member since 2018 • 1 Posts

All I ask is for a solid campaign with no microtransactions, tbh. Online I don't care, it seems that having microtransactions now is the standard though lol

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#38 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

That's only for online. The offline campaign is still microtransaction free in GTA V. If it's like that, then I'm not worried in the slightest.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 RSM-HQ
@valgaav_219 said:

@RSM-HQ: I don't own GTA V either. I've just played it like a million times at other peoples houses lol. I'm not worried about RDR2 in the least bit, though. I know it will be great.

Now that's clever gaming, I did that with a friends PSP for years.

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ReCloud
Member since 2018 • 4418 Posts

They're gonna have a good campaign and a good MP

Shantmaster_K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#41 Shantmaster_K
Member since 2008 • 1790 Posts

If microtransactions and DLC are your only concerns for RDR2, I think you'll be ok.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Valgaav_219

@RSM-HQ: I'm a little fed up with their formula. I'd like to see them try to make a new IP or something. I acknowledge that it's a good game but I don't feel it's worth the purchase to me. That's why I have such high hopes for RDR2 because I loved the first game. It's like GTA but way different due to things like hunting and horseback riding. I also felt like the story was better than GTA games too especially the ending, though

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By RSM-HQ

@valgaav_219:

I'd like to see them try to make a new IP or something

I fully agree, however keep in mind Rockstar did try many different things during the 128-bit generation; yet both the gaming media and GTA fanbase gave these games negative coverage and average or below reviews.

Manhunt was claimed to possess a student to kill his friend in a horrible backlash, which later was proven to be Grand Theft Auto III, once the truth was found out the entire case was dropped simply because GTA is a beloved game. Same with Bully, which despite the name does not encourage bullying,the media and many reviews dubbed it a Bullying Simulator. Many reviews for this claim stating they should stick to making GTA. Which isn't as "serious" with its themes.

All this negative media and poor reviews refrained Rockstar to dip outside the popular sandbox template, despite having the same level of dark humor.

At this state I think Rockstar are just giving people (most the market, no means everyone) what they want. And do so partly out of fear of what they've encountered with Manhunt and Bully. And to be honest I don't blame them; they've tried being creative outside usual sandbox gangsta games, and got shunned for it.

To put it in a more basic level, Rockstar fans (for the most part) are hypocrites. And the vocal bunch of these fans are the reason Rockstar make the same kind of games.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Valgaav_219

@RSM-HQ: At this point I view GTA as being just as copied and pasted as CoD and I won't be buying either one of them.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By RSM-HQ
@valgaav_219 said:

@RSM-HQ: At this point I view GTA as being just as copied and pasted as CoD and I won't be buying either one of them.

Only bought one from both franchises, and neither investment from the past decade, so I'm with you on that.

However for me it's less that they're following the same template; and more because I don't find either interesting as a gaming series.