Alone in the Dark = $59.99 credit for first week at Gamespot/EB Games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

aBathingApe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 aBathingApe_
Member since 2007 • 264 Posts

You get $59.99 credit back if you trade in Alone in the Dark within the first week of purchase with an EB Games/Gamestop receipt. Was worth the price of admission alone for me. Play a game for the week and take it back and preorder/get something better at no loss? Sweet.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts
Such an offer doesn't make sense for Gamespot. Maybe the publisher is underwriting it? Either someone has a ton of faith in the game or no faith, I can't figure out which.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

They did the same thing with Haze. I suspect they do well on these deals. You'll get a bunch of people to buy it, some of them will decide to keep it and they make money there, the people that don't keep it will return it in exchange for in store credit, and they get to sell the game again. This time they pocket all the money from the used sale, and hope that the customer who traded it in gets two or three used games instead of exchanging it for another new game. Hell, knowing Gamestop they might even be putting the trade ins out as new copies.

They might lose a little bit of money, but I suspect plans like this are to get customers in the mindset of trading in every game they beat. Gamestop doesn't make great money from new game sales, they make great money from selling used games.

OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts
i think they actually make the money when someone buys the used haze or in this case AitD. when they use the credit for another used game they dont make money, because they got the credit from that original game. but when someone comes alone and buys that original game for $5 less than what it costs new, they make a killing. and the game has its highest value in that first week or so, so it would work out well. gamestop runs a good scam, i hate them, but they run a good scam.