All characters unlocked from the beginning...? WHY?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

blankd8ta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 blankd8ta
Member since 2010 • 87 Posts

Since when did fighters start having all characters unlocked from the start? I bought Tekken 6 and Mortal Combat a while back and pretty much everything was unlocked. The orginial MvC3 had unlockable charcaters, but why didn't Ultimate MvC3? Why did companies start doing this - is this to cator to the competitive online players?I'm not very good at fighters and don't feel like putting in the hours and hours of practice remomorizing complex button inputs so there doesn't seem to be much incentive for me to buy fighters anymore since all the characters are unlocked from the get-go. Costumes really isn't big incentive for me to keep playing a fighter which is usually the only unlockable thing besides music and sounds and stuff usually in current-gen fighters.

My first fighting game was Tekken (infact my first game that was actually mine) and in the past all the characters were locked. That ment when you unlocked a new character it was exciting and you couldn't wait to try them out. Now in my opinion its too overwhelming to have access to 40 or so characters at a time. Furthermore kinda getting tired of casual fighters with the names Naruto and Dragon Ball in the title as the devs seem to be watering down aspects from past games just to make the online more lag-free and such. So, are there any fighters out that have most the characters locked from the beginning? I know a new Tekken and Dead or Alive is coming but im skeptical of getting them seeing as all fighters now have literarly no single-player, only alittle characters in which all charcaters are unlocked from the start.

Avatar image for EichiroNobunaga
EichiroNobunaga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 EichiroNobunaga
Member since 2010 • 710 Posts

Not everyone wants to waste time and have to unlock everything.They just want to get into it.

Mikesta13_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Mikesta13_
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

Honestly I agree. I understand the concept of not having to unlock characters but that was always half the fun. In some games there weren't even that many characters to unlock in fact. Take killer instinct, the only real character to unlock was the boss but this was back when people actually sat next each other to play. Unlocking characters was fun except for MvC2 which was more fulfilling when you finally bought the last character, after weeks of playing constantly. I do miss unlocking characters. Fighting games these days don't have anything else to do either than play online or play arcade mode. Naruto Generations started you off with about 8 out of maybe 35 -45 characters which could be unlock through first playing the story mode. I had fun unlocking them too. My thing is fighting game are fairly boring today because there is nothing to do but to play but not every player plays competitively. Some just want to play the game, for fun, which is what video games in general are meant for. There is no fun in repetitive play in versus mode, expecially where there is noone to play against.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts
Today's developers are basically pandering to the competitive game market and rightly so. Do you have any idea how frustrating it is to play with a console that doesn't have all the characters unlocked? Well, that was a long time ago. Saying that, I do kinda miss the old scheme. There's nothing like that "who is it gonna be this time?" felling; the kinda feeling you get when you're watching Royal Rumble?
Falru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Falru
Member since 2005 • 81 Posts

It's completely incompatible with competitive play is why, which is basically the only market for fighters now.

Unlockable characters have been replaced mainly with unlockable artwork and bonuses now (i.e. alternate character costumes) which, if done right, are way cooler anyway in my opinion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#6 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

Well, the fact of the matter is that eventually you will have everyone unlocked, so I guess there's no big deal if they are available from the start.

I can understand how unlockable characters make the game more fun, and give you more time to try out each character and get a feel for them. In a game with 30-some characters, it can be overwhelming to pick your character and to remember which characters can do what.

V_G_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 V_G_Fan
Member since 2009 • 64 Posts

I totally understand where you're coming from. It used to be that you had to unlock extra costumes or characters. That was half the fun. Now you may have to pay to have it unlocked or downloaded so that you can use them. Times are different now as you know since you hit the nail on the head with your statements about who the developers are catering too.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts

I totally understand where you're coming from. It used to be that you had to unlock extra costumes or characters. That was half the fun. Now you may have to pay to have it unlocked or downloaded so that you can use them. Times are different now as you know since you hit the nail on the head with your statements about who the developers are catering too.

V_G_Fan
paying for characters is an absolute crime.
OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 OneSanitarium
Member since 2009 • 6959 Posts

[QUOTE="V_G_Fan"]

thebest31406

paying for characters is an absolute crime.

It's really not.

PumpkinBoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10 PumpkinBoogie
Member since 2006 • 3375 Posts

V_G_Fan
This. It's sad thing, really. That was the most exciting thing for me w/ a new fighting game--especially Tekken (all the more reason, I can relate to OP's lament). It was a blast for me and daddy to sit all not playing through to get everyone unlocked. Man, 'tis be the are a changin', indeed.....:(
dragonps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 dragonps
Member since 2007 • 1702 Posts
I used to love completing the story/arcade mode and unlocking a new character that I could then try out in training mode. Even better when you beat the boss and then unlocked him for play, he was so tough to defeat so the reward to play as him was rather satisfying. As for the whole competitive angle NOT all fighting games cater to the hardcore crowd matter of fact only a few actually are hardcore in that sense.
TAMKFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 172

#12 TAMKFan
Member since 2004 • 33350 Posts

Unlocking characters was nice, but it doesn't really bother me too much that they took it awaw. What bothers is that instead they now charge for the characters as DLC, as recently seen in Street Fighter X Tekken.

Matthew-first

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Matthew-first
Member since 2005 • 3318 Posts

Not everyone wants to waste time and have to unlock everything.They just want to get into it.

EichiroNobunaga

Honestly, I miss the old tekkens...

It'd be nice to unlock... ANYTHING! :|

DynamiteRoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DynamiteRoll
Member since 2012 • 149 Posts

They should just make things unlockable, and bring back cheat codes for the lazy folks like me. Best of both worlds.

D3dr0_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 232

#16 D3dr0_0
Member since 2008 • 3530 Posts
In order to unlock characters the old fashion way you now need to use whats in your wallet in order to get it. Yeah I know sucks right.
WicthBalder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#17 WicthBalder
Member since 2005 • 1924 Posts

It's better to unlock characters through the game instead of paying for them.