after playing games all my life it struck me..

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Guerdonmyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Guerdonmyth
Member since 2012 • 28 Posts

It struck me that I can't think of any games that has a hero you control as a main character who is black(african).

Maybe I've overlooked it but why is that so?

Me and a friend was watchfing lord of the rings the other day and a few days later she said the trilogy was racist. I haven't really thought alot about that until she said that. I actually think she is right.

Even in lord of the rings online you can't really make a human who is ebony.

Now there might actually be a game where the hero is afro american or whatever these folks are called but I can't think of one.

In almost all of the western games they are white people, except maybe assasin's creed.

What about call of duty, there are blacks in the army in us ,but I've played mw2 and don't recall any blacks there.

I actually think that games are fun, but do blacks of america not play video games and if they do they must kinda have noticed this?

We live in 2015 almost 2016, this is kinda strange actually.

Anurag333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Anurag333
Member since 2015 • 32 Posts

@Guerdonmyth: GTA5 one of the main characters was black. Awesome character.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@Guerdonmyth said:

It struck me that I can't think of any games that has a hero you control as a main character who is black(african).

Me and a friend was watchfing lord of the rings the other day and a few days later she said the trilogy was racist. I haven't really thought alot about that until she said that. I actually think she is right.

Now there might actually be a game where the hero is afro american or whatever these folks are called but I can't think of one.

In almost all of the western games they are white people, except maybe assasin's creed.

What about call of duty, there are blacks in the army in us ,but I've played mw2 and don't recall any blacks there.

I actually think that games are fun, but do blacks of america not play video games and if they do they must kinda have noticed this?

Yes and no. I can give you numerous examples of games where the main character was black (and not one of "several" main characters where one of them was black, just a single protagonist who is black). Some of these games are Grand Theft Auto San Adreas, the "50 Cent" video game, every "Spawn" video game (Al Simmons was black), Shadow Man (based on the comic of the same name), and several others.

However, you're right in that the vast majority games out there usually feature a white, male, and straight protagonist as this is considered the "default". I wouldn't go so far as to call a game that -doesn't- feature a minority character in a lead role (or at all) racist because racism implies intent. Not including a minority in your story does not make you racist, although it's true that not including a minority in your story might be something that you could do -because- you're racist, but we shouldn't assume that's the case without evidence supporting that position.

In the case of Tolkien, well, that guy -was- pretty racist so as far as -that- particular series there's some truth to that in that paricular instance. I can't fault the games for keeping to the source material and shoehorning in characters who were not part of the original story for the sake of diversity is not something I necessarily agree with.

What I think the bigger problem here is the idea that there's a "default" character type. People come in all kinds of shapes, sizes, colors, etc. The idea of a "default" type of person is something that's largely perpetuated by western media (movies, tv shows, etc). It's getting better, but it still has a long way to go.

-Byshop

tatman87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By tatman87
Member since 2015 • 227 Posts

Most of the black playable characters that I can think of are in games with multiple players. Dead Island, GTA5, Left 4 Dead.

It's worth noting that GTA San Andreas had a black PC. Also, most games with character creation have skin color options.

This post struck an interesting thought for me - What if some of our staple franchises produced games where the playable protagonist was black? Silent Hill or Resident Evil for example. I, for one, think it would be cool.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#5 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

Have you played Telltale's The Walking Dead? It features a black protagonist.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

@Guerdonmyth said:

What about Latino, Chinese, Russian, Philippine, ect. Why are you only noticing black is missing ?

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

I think saying that Lord of the Rings is racist because it doesn't have a main character who is black, is drawing a massively long bow tbh... So does that mean that every movie or book or game that doesn't have a character from every race on Earth in them, they're racist too? Come on...

But would I like to see more variety in character races in games in general, yes I would.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LexLas

@hrt_rulz01 said:

I think saying that Lord of the Rings is racist because it doesn't have a main character who is black, is drawing a massively long bow tbh... So does that mean that every movie or book or game that doesn't have a character from every race on Earth in them, they're racist too? Come on...

But would I like to see more variety in character races in games in general, yes I would.

Exactly, it ain't only about one race not in the cards. Stop noticing just that particular card people. So immature.

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9  Edited By ojmstr
Member since 2003 • 1949 Posts

The answer is simple, there are more white people playing videogames than black here in the west so western videogames/movies usually have a white protaganist in order to gain the most sales for the developers/producers. Tbh, do you think for instance Read Dead Redemtion would sell just as good if the protagonist was black or latino? This is not a qustion of rasicm, it's all about marketing and gaining the most profit.

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 1

#10 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

As already said GTA San Andreas, GTA5, Prototype, Assassin's creed on the Vita ( can't remember the name ) on top of being black it is a female, games made by Bethesda offer you to be black

Guerdonmyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Guerdonmyth
Member since 2012 • 28 Posts

Hi guys, it seems like there are some games with other ethnic groups but not alot, and that white people play mostly.

I just can't see why a game wouldn't sell if the character was not white. is it uncomfortable for a white guy to play some other race. there are alot of fantasy races in rpg's and people play least human in some of those like WoW or EQ for example. But yeah maybe the erudite was not the most popular.

But anyway why wouldn't read dead redemption not selll just because the hero was mexican, why can white people not enjoy playing another human race, when they sure as the sky is blue, can play orcs in WoW?

Are there like 10% games out there where the hero is not white. I'm not talking about where you can choose to be black I'm talking about a game where there are no other options, as alot of games there are no other options than to be white.

da_funk4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 da_funk4
Member since 2003 • 436 Posts

As a black, i feel were slowly being included and represented in video games at a rate where i'm satisfied. I find myself wondering why there's no east or south asian's more nowadays.

If blacks were in the asian's and natives etc... situation's, we'd be up in arms over that. But that's the kinda privilege you get when you were treated worst than animals in this country for a couple centuries.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#13 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

@LexLas said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

Exactly, it ain't only about one race not in the cards. Stop noticing just that particular card people. So immature.

Even though I am of African/Native American decent, I have to agree! "BUT" as you have said, the TC might not be at a mature level.

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#14 Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2862 Posts

I can think of a few games i've played with black main characters...

GTA San Andreas the main character is black.

You play as a black female cop in the game Urban Chaos, which was a semi open world game that came out a bit before gta 3.

Some of the main characters in Broforce are black.

If you play as the Zulu's in Civilization, the leader is black. (Shaka = god)

and most new games let you customize your character. So you can easily make them any skin color you want.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#15  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17795 Posts

SiN on PC (old FPS) had a black dude named John Blade (not related to the comic/movies) as the main character. He was pretty cool and the game was good. Also, Kratos is actually voiced by a black guy. Does that count? hehe ;)

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16  Edited By ojmstr
Member since 2003 • 1949 Posts

@Guerdonmyth: It's about what you relate to i guess, not that it feels uncofortable to play as a black or latino protagonist. One of my favorite games are the Shenmue series and the maincharacter in those games is Japanese so i personally don't care what type of race the protagonist has but im pretty sure from a marketing standpoint, these are factors that the developers are taking into account early on in the proccess when they plan on making a videogame, again it's not rasicm, it's all about the $$$

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LexLas

I think every game should have the option to edit the player in what color, or looks you want. It can't be that hard to make every game like that right ?

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

@da_funk4: You play as a black Asian man in GTA Chinatown Wars.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

I only know of Marlon Briggs and Prototype 2.

So uhm yeah.... two games is plenty if you ask me. Lets get some More Asians in the lime light. I don't I've played any game of any kind where the protagonist was any kind of Asian.

Edit: Wait hangon..... what nationality are those Boys from Devil May Cry ?

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Afro Samurai