Advice on consoles for a newbie?!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

newbie11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By newbie11
Member since 2015 • 7 Posts

So I've got about 300 gift certificate at BestBuy, and I'm debating video game systems. I'm pretty much a total gaming newbie as my experience is limited to N64 Mario games and board games. I've played Lego games on a friends PS3 and really enjoyed it and am hankering for my own. Aka I'm basically a child with very low controller skills, and first person shooters etc make motion sick.

Wish list:

-Dvd player?

-Ability to backplay old Lego games (Harry Potter etc)

-I like Nintendo games I guess?

Trying to find the most reasonable option. Should probably just get a wii but BestBuy doesn't seem to sell them anymore. Any and all advice appreciated!!

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 suicidesn0wman
Member since 2006 • 7490 Posts

@newbie11: I agree with the above reply, the WiiU has the ability to play Wii discs in addition to WiiU discs, you would probably get more use out of that console than the other two. The only worry about the WiiU is that Nintendo is going to be bringing out their newest console, the NX in 2016, and support for the WiiU might dry up incredibly quick. Though at the same time, if those certs aren't expiring real soon, wait for CES, rumor is the NX may be revealed there, and new consoles tend to cause price drops for the previous console from the same manufacturer.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7201 Posts

The only reason I would recommend a Wii U is because Nintendo is the only company left that still makes games like Mario. The 3D platformer genre isn't as popular as it was in the N64 days. Wii U does not play DVDs though.

PS3, PS4, and Xbox one play Blue Ray and DVD, Xbox 360 only plays DVD.

Since you are fairly new to gaming, I would recommend getting an Xbox 360. It's the cheapest one you can get at Best Buy, and has a huge library of old games to pick from (many of which are quite cheap nowadays).

Lego games come out on every system and they all play basically the same. Just pick whichever license you like best; Marvel, DC, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings etc.

Some other games that are fun and fairly newbie friendly:

Sonic Generations

Sonic All Stars Racing

Prince of Persia

Viva Piñata

Skylanders

d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#5 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

You could got for a 3DS - simple but fun games, you could get the system and a couple games with the gift card money you have.

fnevaeva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By fnevaeva
Member since 2005 • 617 Posts

I would say get a ps3. Preferrably a new one(if they still sell new ones) primarily because you want your hardware to be unused, functional, and want it to last a long time.Because Xbox Live support for the 360 will be shutting down soon.

Reasons: plays both blu-ray(3d capable) and dvd's, since the ps4 has come out, games are being sold on the cheap(PRIMETIME TO BUY) at gamestop or any other local game store, And games are actually still being made for the ps3 as it is still fairly popular in Japan. If you want some recommendations, i'd say Get the God of War trilogy pack for $20, or if you like racing games get Gran Turismo 6(best racing simulator game, maybe not the best if you like more arcadish racing styles). The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion or The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim are also great single player games that you can put a ton of hours into.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

If your looking for simplistic fun and something that can play older Lego games, then the Wii-U should be what you go for. It won't play movies and support for it will probably be done by the end of next year due to Nintendo's new system coming, but you can play most Wii games on it as well as Wii-U games.

Fair warning, many of the Lego games play the same just with different skins. Try Lego Dimensions for something new.

For your movie playing needs, buy a stand alone bluray player which will also play DVDs.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

The Wii U sounds like the right console for you.

The Wii U is backwards compatible so in addition to playing Wii U games, it can also play original Wii games, so it will be able to play the older Lego games that were released last generation on the original Wii plus the newer Lego games that have been released on the Wii U.

Furthermore, it has a virtual console digital market where you can download most of Nintendo's best games from the past, including the N64 Mario games that you played as well as pretty much every Mario game that has been released over the last 30 years.

The only thing that you said you want that the Wii U does not offer is a DVD player, but you can just buy a standalone DVD player for about $30.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

You sound like a good candidate for a Wii U or PS3. The PS3 is more versatile as a media player and in the breadth of titles by far. But it does lack Nintendo games which you specifically highlighted. There is actually a lot of family friendly gaming to be had on the PS3 - including the Lego titles you mentioned and games such as Little Big Planet (fantastic). But sometimes there's no replacement for a Nintendo intellectual property - the choice is yours!