About to get VR

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#1 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

I was at a gaming centre the other day and got to try PSVR for a while, it was incredible best gaming experience ive had.

Now i have the VR bug I have a few options.

Should I

Get a ps4 and ps VR (around £500,600)

Upgrade my GPU and get a vive or rift (can range from 800-1000.)

Selling my 970 might knock around £100-£150 off the total cost of the PC route.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

While I haven't tried VR myself, I have been looking at getting it for a while, and from what I heard, nearly everyone has said PC VR is significantly better than PSVR, however it does cost a lot more.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 thehig1

Im looking at around 200-300 more for vive/occulus.

If i go for PSVR then I will be able to play bloodbourne.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 npiet1

@thehig1: There are a lot more games on PC VR (also you can mod a lot of games to use VR with) than PSVR, but yeah PSVR looks like they've got great support from sony.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#5 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I would suggest PC VR especially if you don't get motion sickness like the npiet said you can mod PC VR so basically you can play old games PC in VR using Vorpx. And some games you don't even need a third party driver like right now you can play Alien Isolation in VR on PC using a mod. Also another obvious benefit is PC VR is higher range then PSVR. I've had my Oculus since June of 2016 and I'm honesty still impressed when I see something new the wow factor still hasn't worn off.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58274 Posts

I recently purchased a VR headset myself.

Two words: WORTH IT!

I think if you want to do it right, you'll get one of the PC VR setups. I was doing research and both the Rift and Vive seemed good, but ultimately I went with the Rift to save some money (not the best reason, but whatever). I also don't have a lot of room, so I did not need the "room scale" tracking of the Vive.

What is your PC setup like? I have an Nvidia 980 which is just about the minimum needed for the Rift, and it runs fine. You don't need a 10xx series card or anything. The games are insane; between Robo Recall, Sairento, Elite: Dangerous, Arizona Sunshine, House of the Dying Sun, and everything else that might and will come out, it is pretty incredible.

Don't get the PSVR simply for one game (Bloodbourne), that'd be a mistake. VR is in it's infancy, there is so much more to come, you want to get the setup with the most potential.

*Ah, I see you have a 970. That should be enough for the Oculus Rift. As for cost, you can get Rift for 399 right now. Looks like PS VR is 200 to 250 or so depending on package. I don't want to sound like a prick, but you get what you pay for; if you short yourself on this by getting PS VR, you might regret it.

Ultimately, though, I Imagine you'd be happy with either experience.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts
@thehig1 said:

Im looking at around 200-300 more for vive/occulus.

If i go for PSVR then I will be able to play bloodbourne.

if you do decide to pay more for 'the best' I would suggest waiting until Valves Knuckles 2.0 hits the market.

you are kind of getting in just when the second generation of headsets and controllers are to be released. I think next year.

I dont know for sure so maybe look into that claim

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 thehig1

@mrbojangles25: the fact i can get by with a 970 using the rift for a while has sold me

Was waiting until the 1100 series to upgrade anyway.

Ill likely be getting a rift soon, VR is incredible I didnt know it was so good.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@thehig1 said:

@mrbojangles25: the fact i can get by with a 970 using the rift for a while has sold me

Ill likely be getting a rift soon, VR is incredible I didnt know it was so good.

Yep, to me it's easily the best thing about this generation of gaming we are in now I always laugh and cringe when people say VR is a fad. It's more of niche product it's not for everyone but it's definitely for me I love being immersed in gaming. Not to brag or anything but Mirror's Edge was the first game I beat in VR lol. I love the atmosphere in that game and in VR it feels like you're there it was a gaming dream that came true.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mrbojangles25

@warmblur said:
@thehig1 said:

Yep, to me it's easily the best thing about this generation of gaming we are in now I always laugh and cringe when people say VR is a fad. It's more of niche product it's not for everyone but it's definitely for me I love being immersed in gaming. Not to brag or anything but Mirror's Edge was the first game I beat in VR lol. I love the atmosphere in that game and in VR it feels like you're there it was a gaming dream that came true.

holy shitballs, Mirror's Edge is in VR? I bet that is nuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@mrbojangles25 said:
@warmblur said:
@thehig1 said:

Yeah it was pretty awesome seeing that world in VR. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones that get zero motion sickness.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mrbojangles25

@warmblur said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@warmblur said:
@thehig1 said:

Yeah it was pretty awesome seeing that world in VR. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones that get zero motion sickness.

I don't get motion sickness, thankfully, but I do get a bit of vertigo or something similar to it. I first noticed it when playing DCS A-10C sim. I was doing some sharp turns, dives, and climbs and when I look around at the ground, I get butterflies in my stomach haha. It's not exactly comfortable, but I don't dislike it either; I imagine I'd get a similar sensation (probably a lot more intense!) if I was in a real plane doing that.

It's just sick as f***, to put bluntly; being able to fly, track your targets regardless of heading, turn around. It adds a whole new degree of immersion you literally cannot get without a VR headset. Too bad that game is going to take me the better part of a year to learn haha :P Same thing in Elite: Dangerous, only with no ground you don't get the sense of vertigo.

I also got it in Robo Recall. There's one moment early on where they put you on a balcony and a boss comes up to you, get's in your face, so you're teetering on the edge of this balcony while this 30 foot tall boss--and in VR, he literally looks 30 feet tall--is hovering in front of you, trying to intimidate you, and I'm telling myself "Holy shit man! Don't fall off the balcony" or my brain is telling me that(?} I don't know, it's weird and awesome.

You have to remind yourself, at times, you're just standing on the floor safe on the ground.

Yet another testament to the awesomeness of VR.

I'll have to to check out Mirror's Edge for sure. Is it Cataclysm or the first one? I loved both those games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@mrbojangles25 said:
@warmblur said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@warmblur said:
@thehig1 said:

I don't get motion sickness, thankfully, but I do get a bit of vertigo or something similar to it. I first noticed it when playing DCS A-10C sim. I was doing some sharp turns, dives, and climbs and when I look around at the ground, I get butterflies in my stomach haha. It's not exactly comfortable, but I don't dislike it either; I imagine I'd get a similar sensation (probably a lot more intense!) if I was in a real plane doing that.

It's just sick as f***, to put bluntly; being able to fly, track your targets regardless of heading, turn around. It adds a whole new degree of immersion you literally cannot get without a VR headset. Too bad that game is going to take me the better part of a year to learn haha :P Same thing in Elite: Dangerous, only with no ground you don't get the sense of vertigo.

I also got it in Robo Recall. There's one moment early on where they put you on a balcony and a boss comes up to you, get's in your face, so you're teetering on the edge of this balcony while this 30 foot tall boss--and in VR, he literally looks 30 feet tall--is hovering in front of you, trying to intimidate you, and I'm telling myself "Holy shit man! Don't fall off the balcony" or my brain is telling me that(?} I don't know, it's weird and awesome.

You have to remind yourself, at times, you're just standing on the floor safe on the ground.

Yet another testament to the awesomeness of VR.

I'll have to to check out Mirror's Edge for sure. Is it Cataclysm or the first one? I loved both those games.

The first game only works in 3D geometry VR but you need Vorpx which isn't free. It's hard to recommend Vorpx cause there's alot of tinkering to get the settings right but it's a must of you want to experience old games in VR.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

I do own PSVR and think it's completely worth it. Resident Evil is the best VR experience ever and I think it's still not on PC.

I would also like to get a VR headset for PC but I will wait until there's one with a much better resolution. Right now it's not worth the higher price to me. Vive Pro is expensive as hell without controllers and base station.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TryIt
@nethernova said:

I do own PSVR and think it's completely worth it. Resident Evil is the best VR experience ever and I think it's still not on PC.

I would also like to get a VR headset for PC but I will wait until there's one with a much better resolution. Right now it's not worth the higher price to me. Vive Pro is expensive as hell without controllers and base station.

bias much?

how many PC VR titles are you aware of? because there is a fudge ton. and how do you know not a single one of them is not better that Resident Evil experience?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mrbojangles25

@tryit said:
@nethernova said:

bias much?

how many PC VR titles are you aware of? because there is a fudge ton. and how do you know not a single one of them is not better that Resident Evil experience?

Yeah, agreed. I might have stated it before, but don't get a VR system (or ANY system, for that matter) for a single title. Or even a few titles. I'm sure PSVR is enjoyable and all that, but there's more to it.

It's also important to remember that PC is an open platform, so you have all the major and non-major development occurring on that platform; from large studios to small independent ones. PSVR might get some "AAA" titles, but it will not get the most titles, the greatest diversity of games, nor the most innovative projects.

The downside, of course, is that in that selection and diversity, PC also get's a little bit of crap titles haha. Worth it, though :D

Not saying PSVR is a bad product, I'm just saying that because VR is just getting going these past couple years, you might want to consider getting VR for the more adventurous platform (PC), and not the platform simply trying to capitalize on a growing trend (PS4).

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TryIt
@mrbojangles25 said:
@tryit said:
@nethernova said:

bias much?

Yeah, agreed. I might have stated it before, but don't get a VR system (or ANY system, for that matter) for a single title. Or even a few titles. I'm sure PSVR is enjoyable and all that, but there's more to it.

It's also important to remember that PC is an open platform, so you have all the major and non-major development occurring on that platform; from large studios to small independent ones. PSVR might get some "AAA" titles, but it will not get the most titles, the greatest diversity of games, nor the most innovative projects.

The downside, of course, is that in that selection and diversity, PC also get's a little bit of crap titles haha. Worth it, though :D

Not saying PSVR is a bad product, I'm just saying that because VR is just getting going these past couple years, you might want to consider getting VR for the more adventurous platform (PC), and not the platform simply trying to capitalize on a growing trend (PS4).

also speaking completely objectively and technically

the PSVR is on the bottom of the list for non-mobile VR headsets.

both HTC and Oculus are technically superior

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#18 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@thehig1 said:

I was at a gaming centre the other day and got to try PSVR for a while, it was incredible best gaming experience ive had.

Now i have the VR bug I have a few options.

Should I

Get a ps4 and ps VR (around £500,600)

Upgrade my GPU and get a vive or rift (can range from 800-1000.)

Selling my 970 might knock around £100-£150 off the total cost of the PC route.

Well, to be fair cost wise, i would go with the PC upgrade and get the HTC VIve 2, it´s usable on the PlayStation, where the PS VR while cheaper is not (so far as I have read) able to be used on pc.

And initially I was against the whole VR concept, but after getting the Vive and using it for awhile, it´s a pretty neat gimmick, there is still a long way to go but it´s a great experience.

Radiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Radiant
Member since 2018 • 3 Posts

I don't know much but VR contents don't attract me at all yet. :c

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@hadesjk: bye bye!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984

I'm kinda of done with CV1 for now as much as I love it I want the next gen headsets already. I see the potential and it just makes me crave better tech and more immersive experiences and wireless.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 npiet1

@Jacanuk: Yeah you can now use PSVR on PC, there's a program for it now.

Nakayuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Nakayuma
Member since 2018 • 7 Posts

@thehig1: If you get VR definitely check out Beatsaber, awesome game.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mrbojangles25

@warmblur said:

I'm kinda of done with CV1 for now as much as I love it I want the next gen headsets already. I see the potential and it just makes me crave better tech and more immersive experiences and wireless.

Yeah it's new to me still so I enjoy it, but I want the next "gen" of gear to arrive as well.

It's a worthwhile platform/display option to me, arguably one of the best purchases I've made, but it still has a long way to go. Just getting rid of the "screen door" would make a huge improvement. If they could add short-range wireless to it as well? Forget about it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@mrbojangles25 said:
@warmblur said:

Yeah it's new to me still so I enjoy it, but I want the next "gen" of gear to arrive as well.

It's a worthwhile platform/display option to me, arguably one of the best purchases I've made, but it still has a long way to go. Just getting rid of the "screen door" would make a huge improvement. If they could add short-range wireless to it as well? Forget about it.

Yea, that screen door effect really kills the immersion especially games that aren't made for VR like GTAV. I would love to see what GTAV would look like on the next gen VR headsets higher res would eliminate the screen door effect and jaggies along with a wider fov and hopefully wireless and haptic feedback someday. That's my VR dream I really want to feel like I'm in Los Santos.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TryIt
@warmblur said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@warmblur said:

Yea, that screen door effect really kills the immersion ....

completely disagree.

Yeah it would be nice if the screendoor effect was not there, but speaking from personal experience having played Elite in VR for about 100 hours in VR total I can tell you its MUCH more immersive then playing on the pancake (monitor)

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mrbojangles25

@tryit: I agree and disagree.

Elite is, arguably, my favorite game to play on VR. It's incredibly immersive: exiting FTL on a binary star system is simply incredible on a monitor; doing the same thing in VR is freaking insane! Plus, it just works organically in VR: turn your head to look at screens, look at other ships and celestial bodies to target them...it just works.

With that said, the fact that text is a lot harder to read because of the screen door effect makes life a bit more difficult. I was able to change my HUD colors around to make some better contrast of the text color and background color, and can generally guess what I am reading, but it's something I'd rather not have to deal with.

This is 10x worse on a game like DCS World A-10C where you actually need to read the million knobs, MFD's, and other instruments in your cockpit and HUD.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TryIt
@mrbojangles25 said:

@tryit: I agree and disagree.

Elite is, arguably, my favorite game to play on VR. It's incredibly immersive: exiting FTL on a binary star system is simply incredible on a monitor; doing the same thing in VR is freaking insane! Plus, it just works organically in VR: turn your head to look at screens, look at other ships and celestial bodies to target them...it just works.

With that said, the fact that text is a lot harder to read because of the screen door effect makes life a bit more difficult. I was able to change my HUD colors around to make some better contrast of the text color and background color, and can generally guess what I am reading, but it's something I'd rather not have to deal with.

This is 10x worse on a game like DCS World A-10C where you actually need to read the million knobs, MFD's, and other instruments in your cockpit and HUD.

oh I am not suggesting that VR should have an improved screen door I am just saying taking both in aggravate I consider the VR experience to be more immersive then the pancake version

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@tryit said:
@warmblur said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@warmblur said:

completely disagree.

Yeah it would be nice if the screendoor effect was not there, but speaking from personal experience having played Elite in VR for about 100 hours in VR total I can tell you its MUCH more immersive then playing on the pancake (monitor)

I don't doubt that Elite VR looks great in VR. I'm mostly talking about games that aren't officially supported by VR but that you can use Vorpx with older games.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TryIt

@warmblur said:
@tryit said:
@warmblur said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@warmblur said:

completely disagree.

I don't doubt that Elite VR looks great in VR. I'm mostly talking about games that aren't officially supported by VR but that you can use Vorpx with older games.

the screendoor effect is separate from that. That issue exists for games that are desgined for VR as well as those that are not. Elite Dangerous has screendoor effect.

I am saying when taking everything in aggregate VR has a more immersion experience to it then higher resolution experience on the monitor. it would be more immeriseve then even 4K even though 4K is a lot higher resolution.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@tryit said:
@warmblur said:
@tryit said:
@warmblur said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

completely disagree.

the screendoor effect is separate from that. That issue exists for games that are desgined for VR as well as those that are not. Elite Dangerous has screendoor effect.

I am saying when taking everything in aggregate VR has a more immersion experience to it then higher resolution experience on the monitor. it would be more immeriseve then even 4K even though 4K is a lot higher resolution.

Yes, every game has the screen door effect but for me at least it looks less noticeable in lets say a Unreal Engine 4 to a Rockstar's Rage engine although jaggies look even worst in that engine. Not to say that I didn't enjoy playing GTAV in VR it was pretty amazing at times but man I can't wait to see what the next headsets bring.