GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 GalvatronType_R
Member since 2003 • 2638 Posts
  • The video game industry is a bidness not a charity. A video game is a frivolous nonessential luxury toy, and like any other frivolous toy in a free market economy, the industry can charge whatever they want and customers can choose to buy or not. I wouldn’t go into a jewelry store and yell and scream about why a Rolex Submariner costs $15,000. If you don’t like it, vote with your wallet and don’t buy it.
  • The video game industry is not your friend. They don’t give two craps about you, the only thing they like about you is the green paper in your pocket and devising new ways to separate as much of it from you as possible. If there was a way to wave a magic wand to make you vanish but leave your money behind for them to collect, the industry would do it in a nanosecond. So anyone who posts an immature, histrionic, nonsensical online screed that states “Sony is TEH ROOOOLZ and Microsoft is TEH SUXXXXORS!” or vice versa is a moron for defending multibillion dollar corporations who hate their own customers free of charge.
  • A website that rates a game (that you have likely not even played at that point) a 9 instead of 10 does not negatively affect your life in any way, shape, or form. So please refrain from sending any death or rape threats to the site or reviewer unless you want to make it obvious that you should be incarcerated or institutionalized.
  • Lastly, please grow up and get some perspective. There is life beyond video games, they are not meant to be the center of anyone’s life. Find other hobbies, read more, exercise, spend more time with friends and family. No one will die if video games disappeared from the planet so expand your horizons just in case they do.
RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 10060 Posts
  • (Video games are toys) Ah, a philosophical quandary. After all what is not a toy? it's debateable. To some, other humans live purely to be used as toys. On the internet they are called trolls. One could even state this thread is designed to toy with other people after reading the whole thing. Video games are a form of entertainment much like books, movies, music, list goes on. Games can have educational values, improve senses, reflexes, and hand-eye coordination, as such have many purposes and reasons dependant on intended design.
  • (The video game industry is not your friend) Correct. I feel bad for people who think video games are ones friend. Community is a whole other debate. Now your continued notes on this point however; how much developers/ publishers view its player-base is tin-foil negativity. No one can argue that Video Games cost money, involve jobs and time to come into existence, as such is a business so makes sense that money is behind it. And they need money to exist and continue. To grow they need games to sell better too. How bad the business practices range? varies on company, your assumption is they are all Electronic Arts quality of anti-customer. And that's proven to be false from a wide variety of games/ developers/ and publishers.
  • (A 9 instead of 10 does not negatively affect your life in any way, shape, or form) I fully agree. For me the reviews are more interesting in what they write, not what they score. I find a lot of reviewers on Game Spot in particular to be clowns honestly, whether they rate a game well or bad. Much shows they barely played the game and mention things that are not relevant. I think if you get paid to do a job? one should be somewhat serviceable at that role, and a gaming reviewer seems to be more stress-free/ lazy than other professions, so them being bad at a leisure job, comes across as poor employment standards.
  • (Please grow up and get some perspective) What arguments have you got yourself involved in here at Games Discussion to gather this conclusion? One would state making a thread declaring others to "grow-up" is the immature way to handle it.
  • (No one will die if video games disappeared) Humans could live without a lot of luxuries. Though goes without stating many would miss it. While the world may be a little different, very true, no one would die if gaming is banned or gets cut from our daily lives. Yet you wouldn't come to a video game dedicated site and forum if you didn't enjoy gaming. Otherwise one would assume you are here to troII. As such, find your argument lacking a real purpose.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 35157 Posts

Umm, ok? Thanks, I guess. Didn’t you make a thread a little while ago asking why no one was raging at Sony for raising the price of their games? This and that thread seem very contradictory in nature. 😐

Avatar image for GalvatronType_R
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 GalvatronType_R
Member since 2003 • 2638 Posts

@Archangel3371: no contradiction whatsoever. The other thread's point is that gamers tend to be immaturely reactionary and get angry at any sensory feedback like a colicky baby.

I was just expressing surprise that there wasn't the usual death and rape threats from gamers directed toward Sony for their increased price point and not arguing against their right to charge whatever they choose to.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 35157 Posts

@GalvatronType_R: Well alrighty then. 👍😅

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 1816 Posts

Yet Sony PlayStation has offered free full games to its customers during this pandemic, like Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank and Horizon Zero Complete Edition. Like any business, Sony cares about $$$ and making a profit, but made good moral decisions by looking after its customers in these tough times.

Big up Sony! Setting the example of customer care. Nintendo and Xbox take note.

What I dislike about the video game industry, EA in particular, are microtransactions. This is so wrong on many levels, especially for kids. No matter how much we love or hate microtransactions, it's just a way for a business to become profitable and EA is smart.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 50172 Posts

The best part about non-serious things is taking them serious...in an ironically serious-not-serious manner. So in that spirit, I say....

....I defy you, you speaker of ill! You nay-sayer! Harpy!! I say video games are not "toys". Nay! Video games are art! One of the highest forms of art, for they are interactive!

Furthermore, they are tools. Indeed! The sacred art form of video game development has been passed down for generations from elder to youngster, leading to improved reflexes, critical thinking, and all those kinds of skills that can stem from puzzle solving and quick reactions.

Friends?! Mayhaps, mayhaps not....but while the industry itself might not be friendly, the products are. Memories galore, time well spent, and all manner of fun; from random acts of digital violence to farming with animal friends (look! Friends!) and such, I say this: who needs friends?

Plus, with hostile and abusive AAA publishing and development losing market shares year over year to independent gaming, the future is looking bright! These folks you can call friends because they are you. Moms and pops and brothers and sisters just making games in their garages with budgets in the thousands, not millions.

And I will finish with this, good sir. I will not grow up! I will work, yes. Pay bills. I will pay taxes and obey laws. But I shall always indulge my inner child, for the act of "play" is a seriously undervalued component in mature, modern society. People are much too serious, I dare say, and need to lighten the **** up. Maybe they could pull that stick out of their butt if they played some video games!

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 warmblur
Member since 2017 • 7493 Posts

You would almost believe that Sony and Xbox is somebodies child on the system wars board it's funny and sad how far these corporate fanboys coddle these companies.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 1647 Posts

@omegamaster: Sony gave you those games to buy your goodwill, after they sold you a PS4 or PS4 Pro.

The games were Sony’s best sellers towards the end of the console generation, those games are hardly bringing much revenue to Sony.

If you didn’t buy those games by the time Sony ran that marketing initiative, then you probably wouldn’t be buying them.

It’s marketing!

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 7614 Posts
@omegamaster said:

Yet Sony PlayStation has offered free full games to its customers during this pandemic, like Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank and Horizon Zero Complete Edition. Like any business, Sony cares about $$$ and making a profit, but made good moral decisions by looking after its customers in these tough times.

It's still a business decision. Sony does benefit from the free games by making their platform more appealing in order to get more users. Each user is a source of direct income via subscription fees and/or an indirect source of income by tracking the gaming habits of users and building ad profiles. At some point giving a game away for free could provide a larger benefit than just leaving it on the store after most people who intended to spend money on it have already purchased a license.

A large, publicly-traded corporation does not make a good moral decision unless it's also a good business decision.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 1816 Posts

@pyro1245 said:
@omegamaster said:

It's still a business decision. Sony does benefit from the free games by making their platform more appealing in order to get more users. Each user is a source of direct income via subscription fees and/or an indirect source of income by tracking the gaming habits of users and building ad profiles. At some point giving a game away for free could provide a larger benefit than just leaving it on the store after most people who intended to spend money on it have already purchased a license.

A large, publicly-traded corporation does not make a good moral decision unless it's also a good business decision.

Oh yeah, I agree with you completely. There's always a business decision behind it.