RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

I found a TV that for $1199 is totally in my price range. I had thought about going with a 4K but I will mostly be playing on my Xbox One/PS4 and I don't watch that much TV. Is LED a crisper picture than Plasma/LCD?

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Plasma>>>>LED>>LCD

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RimacBugatti

@MonsieurX: Doesn't the LED transmit true yellow? A while ago I saw an LED TV on display and the picture was crisp. It was only 1080 as far as I know.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

What's the response time? And different panels work better in certain lighting so pick the best for your lighting situation.

AK47Ra1der

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AK47Ra1der
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

Plasma>>>>LED>>LCD

This

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 RimacBugatti

@ribstaylor1: I'm sure it's only 120hz but I was looking at a 55 inch 4K 240hz Vizio for $1349.

digitm64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#8 digitm64
Member since 2013 • 470 Posts

@RimacBugatti said:

@ribstaylor1: I'm sure it's only 120hz but I was looking at a 55 inch 4K 240hz Vizio for $1349.

I bought a 240hz for my PC gaming and yet I cannot make the PC recognise over 60fps. I was expecting at the time to be able to play up to 240fps. I was very wrong.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 RimacBugatti

@digitm64: I guess the fps isn't super important as long as I can get that crisp picture. 4K I guess is better than going with the 65 inch 1080. I think it's like $1349.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#10 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

They don't make high quality plasmas anymore, only so so quality LG and Samsung plasma tvs. Panasonic was the last great plasma tv maker. Samsung used to make really high end ones also.. i actually bought and still have a 42 inch samsung plasma from 2005, it beats the quality on any tv i've had since, no joking. I read some reviews on current gen Samsung plasmas and they were complaining about input lag for gaming, so i would be cautious about getting one.

So i wouldn't recommend a plasma now, plus they use about 4-5x more power... my 60 inch panasonic plasma uses up to 450watts of power on bright scenes and around 250watts on half bright scenes... on comparison i have a 40 inch Sony LED tv which only uses 40-65 watts even on the brightest scenes.

I wish i could recommend a plasma these days but really i'm so unsure about them now.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

I would love for someone out there to make a 60"+ Backlit LED (not Edgelit) 120-240 Hz with an input lag consistently below 20 ms without having to dig into your TV menu system to switch to "gaming mode" and have that low input lag while maintaining the maximum picture quality, black levels, and deep color. I would pay a pretty penny for a TV that was able to always maintain maximum performance, whether I was watching a sports game on TV, viewing a cinematic film, or playing a graphic intensive video game. A TV that can quickly recognizes what setting were needed for what type of content I was watching. Also having a menu system that is fast and intuitive like my PC OS.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

Plasma>>>>LED>>LCD

It's more like:

Plasma >>>>>>>>>>> LED >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> LCD

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RimacBugatti

@Old_Gooseberry: So I guess LED it is. I mean $1349 for a 4K isn't terrible. I will just have to make the move I guess.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts
@foxhound_fox said:

@MonsieurX said:

Plasma>>>>LED>>LCD

It's more like:

Plasma >>>>>>>>>>> LED >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> LCD

You mean:

LED>LCD

Wait hold on, they still make Plasma's?

*EDIT*

LOL LG and Panasonic have ended production and Samsung is ending next month. Good, they're better off investing more in LCD's.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#15  Edited By Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

@Jebus213 said:
LOL LG and Panasonic have ended production and Samsung is ending next month. Good, they're better off investing more in LCD's.

They went as far as they could with plasma tech i guess, the problem was power efficency usage, also the semi truth about image retention hurt their sales... in which was only bad on certain models, some didn't get that problem. One company actually made a working prototype for a 4k plasma tv but its power usage was not practical, probably over 1000 watts at least for a big screen 4k...

The thing ill miss with plasmas is not only the amazing image quality but the viewing angles also, you could view these things anywhere and they'd still look amazing. Even IPS monitors have limited angles, plamas didn't. All 3 plasmas i own, I never notice any color change from changing viewing angles.

I have two non plasma LED tvs and they are just fine so theres nothing wrong with them for watching tv on them, angles are decent for most part. i guess thats why plasma is on its way out, theres really no practical use for it now, who wants to spend 400 watts of power over 50 watts for similar quality.

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

Plasma is by far the best i absolutely agree with the above however you guys saying saying LED is 'better' than LCD you do realise LED is still an LCD tv dont you. LED uses led's to light the screen instead of the CCFL tubes of the older tv's, they're both still LCD.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

Plasma TV's are out the door. They do have amazing color contrast and black levels, but the screen burn never got fixed as well as it needed to be.

I have a 70" Sharp that I used the Xbox One, PS4 and Wii U on as well as a 65" Samsung in the living room and a 55" Sony in the bedroom. (all LED backlit) TV's between 60"and 70" inches are really pushing it when it comes to the 1920X1080 screen resolution. The pixels are HUGE which causes some image quality issues depending on how close you sit to the screen.

That price isn't bad, but you can get 55" 4K TV's at Best Buy now for $1500.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@RimacBugatti said:

@Old_Gooseberry: So I guess LED it is. I mean $1349 for a 4K isn't terrible. I will just have to make the move I guess.

The last batch of Samsung plasmas got great reviews and are still available.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 foxhound_fox

@Jebus213 said:

You mean:

LED>LCD

*EDIT*

For gaming there is nothing on the plasma's level in terms of deep blacks, contrast, colour reproduction and refresh rate. Any gamer knows there is nothing other than plasma that is suited for gaming. Plasmas got a bad rap despite being the higher quality product (much like Betamax).

LCD's are garbage all around and LED's don't do gaming justice (but are great for television and movies). Also note I'm referring to televisions here, not monitors.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jebus213
@foxhound_fox said:

@Jebus213 said:

You mean:

LED>LCD

*EDIT*

For gaming there is nothing on the plasma's level in terms of deep blacks, contrast, colour reproduction and refresh rate. Any gamer knows there is nothing other than plasma that is suited for gaming. Plasmas got a bad rap despite being the higher quality product (much like Betamax).

LCD's are garbage all around and LED's don't do gaming justice (but are great for television and movies). Also note I'm referring to televisions here, not monitors.

So how does this excuse the fact that Plasma failed and that LCD's are going to continue and get better?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 foxhound_fox

@Jebus213 said:

So how does this excuse the fact that Plasma failed and that LCD's are going to continue and get better?

Plasma failed because people are dumb and thought LCD's were better products.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jebus213
@foxhound_fox said:

@Jebus213 said:

Plasma failed because people are dumb and thought LCD's were better products.

Or maybe it's because they cost an arm and a leg and have a high power consumption.

Lets not forget the issues they had when they first came out.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By foxhound_fox

@Jebus213 said:

Or maybe it's because they cost an arm and a leg and have a high power consumption.

Lets not forget the issues they had when they first came out.

A friend of mine bought a LG plasma last week for $330 CAD. They cost almost nothing now because no one wants them. High power consumption for superior picture quality.

And all the issues that were fixed years ago?

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Jebus213

@foxhound_fox said:

because no one wants them.

REALLY?

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Burn-in always scared me with Plasma TV's so that's why I never considered one for my gaming setup, mind you I use my TV for 100% gaming and nothing else, no watching TV or movies. But downstairs we have a 3-4 year old Samsung Plasma TV for general TV/Movie watching and it is pretty bad ass, the colours really pop and most people who look at it are impressed.

I wouldn't mind gaming on a Plasma TV to see how it is, but I guess that day may never come anymore. Either way I'm more than happy with my 60" Samsung 7100 for gaming.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By RimacBugatti

@Heirren: I have heard that there was a new technology for TV's. Someone said it was lasers? Not sure if that's true or not but it does make sense.