6 years+ and on, still no Elder Scrolls?

#1 Posted by demi0227_basic (1940 posts) -

My wife and I LOVED Skyrim so much...hundreds of hours played, many playthroughs, etc. We were just chatting it up and I looked back at when Skyrim released...OVER 6 YEARS AGO.

How has so much time past by without even news of their upcoming Elder Scrolls?

I'm an old man, so please excuse my frustration, but I remember fondly when GTA3 came out, and quickly there were multiple sequels. Now...we have to wait a decade between releases for the games we love? This is nonsense. Have you guys seen/heard any news on a possible release? I'm unaware of anything in regards to another Elder Scrolls.

#2 Posted by Clefdefa (581 posts) -

they made Fallout 4, many update for it ... released 2 times DOOM ... remade Skyrim for the Switch.

#4 Posted by Ish_basic (4838 posts) -

There was news. Was an interview or something I read. At that point they hadn't even started working on it - that was earlier this year. They need a break. And they need to euthanize gamebryo/creation engine. It's time...the old dog is blind, missing teeth and lays around all day as the all young pups run circles around it.

#5 Posted by judaspete (2430 posts) -

@Ish_basic: That's really surprising. I always assumed they began the next Elder Scrolls the moment the previous one was finnished.

#6 Edited by BassMan (8502 posts) -

I would rather they spend more time in between releases to avoid lackluster games and franchise fatigue. Don't worry though. Bethesda is currently working on a new single player ES. However, they will not show it until it almost ready for release as per their policy.

#7 Posted by Ish_basic (4838 posts) -

@judaspete said:

@Ish_basic: That's really surprising. I always assumed they began the next Elder Scrolls the moment the previous one was finnished.

here it is, from last E3

#8 Posted by mrbojangles25 (41033 posts) -

new franchise, please.

or shit give us sci-fi Elder Scrolls. Cyber Scrolls?

#9 Posted by Bush_Dog (294 posts) -

I think they would just create another DLC for Skyrim. Also it's coming to VR.

#10 Posted by Starshine_M2A2 (5123 posts) -

You DID get a new Elder Scrolls. The MMO.

#11 Edited by soul_starter (1376 posts) -

Well theres been the MMO, several re releases, FO4 and DLCs for that.

I'd love a new ES game but I'd rather they spent time and effort to stop it being like FO4.

#12 Posted by ArchoNils2 (9897 posts) -

They are too busy selling you Skyrim for the 10th time. Now on Switch and in VR

#13 Posted by BLN1 (128 posts) -

I'm sure it's in development in some capacity, the problem here is that Skyrim was so beloved that they need to find a way to make that bigger and better, and that'll be tough to do. Let them take their time, it will come eventually.

#14 Posted by Todddow (714 posts) -

I'm with you OP! I've been hooked on the Elder Scrolls since Morrowind (my all-time favorite game). We NEED more single player Elder Scrolls!

#15 Posted by Valgaav_219 (1606 posts) -

A New Elder Scrolls would be nice but I'd rather they take their time to not make a dud. In the meantime I'm waiting for Cyberpunk 2077

#16 Posted by BobTheHollow (53 posts) -

@soul_starter said:

I'd love a new ES game but I'd rather they spent time and effort to stop it being like FO4.

That.

#17 Edited by lucidique (488 posts) -

@demi0227_basic said:

My wife and I LOVED Skyrim so much...hundreds of hours played, many playthroughs, etc. We were just chatting it up and I looked back at when Skyrim released...OVER 6 YEARS AGO.

How has so much time past by without even news of their upcoming Elder Scrolls?

After the sorry excuse they released as '' Fallout 4'', are we really that eager to see another Elder Scrolls game?

I'm would not be surprised if the next opus end up being a high-production values hack-n-slash action game with light RPG elements.

Fallout 4 with swords...

#18 Edited by spike6958 (6699 posts) -

As much as I want to see a new Elder Scrolls game right now, I'd personally love to see it be developed by Obsidian. Fallout: New Vegas was by far my favorite Fallout title, and I'd love to see what those guys would do with Elder Scrolls.

#19 Posted by Shantmaster_K (1180 posts) -

Shouldn't come as a surprise since it was 6 years after Oblivion Skyrim came out. Bethesda has a bunch of big games that come between TES; Fallout, DOOM, Wolfenstein. I'm expecting a release next year.

#20 Posted by GMAK2442 (912 posts) -

Another one would be a nice idea. I think I'd try it.

#21 Posted by skipper847 (7172 posts) -

Hopefully there making a new engine that why it taking so long.

#22 Edited by johnd13 (9389 posts) -

Supposedly they are working on a brand new sci-fi RPG named Starfield, which may come out sooner than we'd expect. I'm pretty excited to see the Bethesda formula on a different setting other than fantasy/post-apocalyptic. So the next TES probably won't be out till 2020 and on. After all they are still cashing in on Skyrim with VR and the Switch version. Then again, they have grown as a studio so may even be able to work on multiple titles at the same time.

Edit: Adding a source for anyone interested: https://www.vg247.com/2017/06/05/rumour-bethesda-to-reveal-sci-fi-open-world-game-starfield-at-e3-2017/ At the moment nothing is officially confirmed but rumors are it's happening. It almost made it to E3 according to this.

#23 Posted by Clefdefa (581 posts) -

@johnd13: if this is true well I hope they will only publish because when they make the game it is always filled with stupid bugs, sub par graphics, sub par story, sub par side quest and very light RPG.

It show that they only published DOOM and Wolfenstein, those games work very well unlike their POS Fallout 4 and the milking of Skyrim

#24 Posted by johnd13 (9389 posts) -

@clefdefa: It's a game developed by Bethesda Game Studios. You can say a lot about their games but they create amazing worlds to explore. And we haven't seen a great space sci-fi universe since Mass Effect so I'm really anticipating Starfield.

#25 Posted by DoroG1995 (1596 posts) -

@clefdefa: that's because those games are first person shooters.(That are smaller compare to FO and Skyrim) and they already have a proper engine for those.(Id Tech 6)

#26 Posted by Flubbbs (4968 posts) -

You're gonna be waiting a long time for the next Elder Scrolls according to Pete Hines.. Their next game is most likely gonna be a new IP.