3 good indie games every week

#1 Edited by Steve5XG (178 posts) -

Hi everybody!

I'm just currently playing lots of indie games since september, and I believe there are some of them whoe must be mentioned, just because I can see their potential and wanna know their progress. So I've decided to start this topic where we can all show new indie games that are now blowing our minds. So, these are the first 3 games I wanna share with you:

PENUMBRA

Penumbra became from a Game Jam, so that gives it a lot of interest to me. This is the description:

An ever-expanding world hides behind an underground obelisk. Few know its secrets, however you're not the first. Make your way through several puzzles using the notes left behind. Be careful not to disturb the guardian of the dark wood and the spirit who lives in the labyrinth. You are never trapped as long as you keep moving.

It's only a 10 mins demo, but I did enjoy a lot the misterious atmosphere around the gameplay. I think there is something really special inside of this game. Hope they can develop this concept. Didn't find an official video on youtube.

WHERE THE GOATS ARE

Where The Goats Are is a slow-paced, meditative videogame for PC and Mac. You play as Tikvah as she tries to maintain her way of life, looking after goats and making cheese, while the world around her falls apart.

The experience lasts around 1 hour. The game automatically saves at dawn everyday, however I recommend allowing time to play through the entire game in one sitting.

What I love about this game is the perfect combination of music and graphics, both of them are really cool, indeed. It's a contemplative video game, of course, and I enjoyed it a lot.

PROJECT BLOCKCHAINZ

Project BlockChainZ is a Third Person Shooter video game mixed with Real Time Tactics Mechanics in a post-apocalyptic world where the survival of the human kind depends on you. You must defend the bunker against the hordes of zombies and the attacks of the raiders on a fixed map where you'll fight with the help of your troops and traps until the reinforcements arrive.

I was looking for a game like this. As a player I usually play shooter games. I rather play Gears of Wars, for example, because of the story behind, how the shooting feels, and also because it's third person view. But I also love RPG games with strategy. I know this game has no graphics (everything looks like assets for free) but game features shows a lot of potential, and I guess testing mechanics is what makes a game design interesting. Graphics will come later.

What do you think about these three games? It is my purpose to update this thread every week.

#2 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (18990 posts) -

Cool... I'm always looking for some great indie games to play. It'd be very helpful if you could list the platforms the games are on however :)

#3 Posted by RSM-HQ (8426 posts) -

I've been idly playing the new ToeJam & Earl from time-to-time, it's random generated and pretty fun

#4 Posted by Steve5XG (178 posts) -

@hrt_rulz01:that's a really good idea, indeed! I will list games bu platforms, yeah!

#5 Posted by Steve5XG (178 posts) -

@RSM-HQ: I always love random games, but don't know what game is that. Can you show me a gameplay or similar??

#6 Posted by RSM-HQ (8426 posts) -
@steve5xg said:

@RSM-HQ: I always love random games, but don't know what game is that. Can you show me a gameplay or similar??

Here is gameplay, not many are really playing the game outside of Backers I imagine

Loading Video...

Destructoid gave the game 9.5/10, I'd personally give it a 7/10 fun and replayable.

#7 Posted by Steve5XG (178 posts) -

@RSM-HQ: oh man! I saw this game a few days ago, didn't remember the game name. I think it's funny and the way they communicate gameplay is really interesting. Not sure whether I'd give it a try, but at least It made me smile, yeah.

#8 Posted by RSM-HQ (8426 posts) -

@steve5xg: No one has time to play every good game, it's physically impossible haha. Still, I find it interesting to see what people are playing_

ToeJam & Earl is my latest indie title so was worth the shout-out. Hope to see plenty more indie gems added here by the GD community.

#9 Posted by Steve5XG (178 posts) -

@RSM-HQ: totally agree with you. That's why this thread exist, to help users finding cool indie games withouth spending lots of hours looking for them through itch.io or Gamejolt.

Gotta say I rather find games through itch.io than Gamejolt. Maybe it is because web interface, very clear and agil. I'd like to know which indie games are users currently playing, too.

#10 Posted by Raining51 (1124 posts) -

Honestly maybe I should jsut get that crypt of the necro Zelda thing lol...

#11 Posted by mrbojangles25 (44045 posts) -

@steve5xg: Hey I like this idea a lot. Thank you for sharing, can I share mine too?

Currently playing (on PC):

1. Factorio: a micromanager's dream, this is all about starting with nothing, harvesting some basic resources, scrapping together a basic factory, and essentially just making this huge logistical web while fending off alien critters, researching, and trying to build a rocket. Conveyor belts, oil harvesting, mining...it's addictive.

Loading Video...

2. Elite: Dangerous: if you have a VR headset and HOTAS, this is hands down one of the most immersive gaming experiences you can ever experience. Even without any of that stuff, it's a really great game. Just requires a bit of patience because you fly around a lot. Kind of like fishing, it's usually hours of calming tedium with moments of sheer panic, excitement, and joy...but those moments make the time investment worthwhile.

Posting an ObsidianAnt video because I love listening to that guy talk :D

Loading Video...

3. Grim Dawn: isometric action-RPG a la Diablo. Great game from the folks that brought us Titan Quest. It's been out for a while, but they recently updated it and have a new expansion coming, so I've been dipping my toes into it again.

Loading Video...

#12 Posted by Steve5XG (178 posts) -

@raining51: sorry, what crypt? don't understand

#13 Posted by Steve5XG (178 posts) -

@mrbojangles25: hey, thanks for sharing, too! really cool choices, btw. I've just played Factorio for a bunch of hours. Grim Dawnlooks pretty amazing (I love RPGs), I should give it a try, right?

#14 Edited by mrbojangles25 (44045 posts) -

@steve5xg said:

@mrbojangles25: hey, thanks for sharing, too! really cool choices, btw. I've just played Factorio for a bunch of hours. Grim Dawnlooks pretty amazing (I love RPGs), I should give it a try, right?

Yeah, it's really great. The game itself is really fun, but there's a really awesome class-crafting system. You pick a primary class, then later a second class, and the combinations work in really amazing ways. The setting is pretty cool, it takes place in a world that's not quite steampunk, and not quite fantasy...but has elements of both. There's guns in it and stuff like that (though in my experience it's still based on melee and magic and such mostly), but also undead and monsters and stuff.

#15 Posted by locus-solus (1119 posts) -

Antichamber is a nonlinear puzzle game that takes place in a big confusing maze.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

go in blind if you get stuck go somewhere else but don't cheat and look up help!, I would even ignore watching and reading review.

#16 Posted by Steve5XG (178 posts) -
@mrbojangles25 said:

Yeah, it's really great. The game itself is really fun, but there's a really awesome class-crafting system. You pick a primary class, then later a second class, and the combinations work in really amazing ways. The setting is pretty cool, it takes place in a world that's not quite steampunk, and not quite fantasy...but has elements of both. There's guns in it and stuff like that (though in my experience it's still based on melee and magic and such mostly), but also undead and monsters and stuff.

Steampunk elements always catch my attention. I'll check it, of course!

#17 Posted by Steve5XG (178 posts) -

Hi there,

New update with new three interesting indie games I've just played last week.

NEON ABYSS

Neon Abyss is a frantic roguelike action platformer features unlimited item synergies and unique dungeon evolving system.

Each of your raids diversifies the dungeon experience and every choice you make alters the ruleset of the dungeon. You will die a lot in this game, and every time you die, you're just a step closer to your ultimate goal: to find the cure for your immortal curse.

Loading Video...

Gotta say: you die many times... I mean, like a lot xD

TORB

TORB is the ultimate game of physics-based swordplay! Like a puppet, the character's every move is tied to springs, joints and wheels that you trigger in simple, familiar ways to produce true free-form combat. There are no character animations in TORB. The fight is happening immediately in a virtual, but physically-grounded world.

Maybe a lil' bit difficult to manage at the beggining, but really entertaiment behind. I like color, lowpoly aesthetic and gameplay has something particularly interesting: very good feeling when you kill the enemies.

Loading Video...

SECOND EARTH

Second Earth is a Real Time Strategy and Tower Defense prototype where you have been chosen to start a new life on Proxima Centauri B. You will construct and manage a new resource extraction outpost under the gracious supervision of the Human Mothership. You will have to expand your economy and fortify your defences if you are to survive the huge numbers of the alien swarm.

When I started playing thisw prototype, I found it in a very early alpha prototype. I knew it when I downloaded it, but I decided to give it a try because game presents a lot of potential. I guess They are billions has made a lot of fun to many players and that's why many devs wanna create their own real time strategy game. I wanna see their updates and know where this game goes on.

What do you think about these three new indie games?

#18 Posted by sakaiXx (5707 posts) -

Indies are generally shit. The end

#19 Posted by Plaguecrafter (33 posts) -
@sakaixx said:

It's safe to say you haven't played many good ones then. Sure, the majority of them will be bad as they are more often than not somebody's first or second project, but there are some really nice indie gems out there.

#20 Posted by mrbojangles25 (44045 posts) -
@plaguecrafter said:
@sakaixx said:

It's safe to say you haven't played many good ones then. Sure, the majority of them will be bad as they are more often than not somebody's first or second project, but there are some really nice indie gems out there.

There are a lot of good ones, but there are a lot of shit ones.

I sort of thought that was the whole point of independently released games: on the plus side, who see a lot more originality, risk-taking, and new ideas; on the down side, they often lack the quality assurance that larger studios have, in addition to the experience.

As I said in another thread, I'd sooner wade through a sea of crap to find a few perfect indie games that felt like they were built just for me, than to sit here and just take the same crap over and over again from major developers.

Thank god I live in a world where I don't have to choose, and I can spend my 500th hour on the perfect Factorio while also working my way through the incredibly unoriginal but also fun Far Cry New Dawn.

#21 Posted by Steve5XG (178 posts) -

@sakaixx: can't be more disagree with you. There are lots of indie games which game design is extraordinary interesting. Indie devs have the courage to risk much more than AAA companies. I think having an open mind with indie market makes you feel better gaming experiences.

#22 Posted by danielpacheco (159 posts) -

@sakaixx: Amateur generaly are shit. Try to split between amateur and indie.

- This war of mine

- Subnautica

- We happy few

- Ruiner

-Hotline miami

- Super hot

- They are billions

- Scum

- Bad north

- Stronghold

- Beat cop

- Dead Cells

- transistor

- 7Days to die

- Prision architect

- Nidhogg

- Helldrivers

- Rime

- Unravel

- The banner saga

- Hard west

- Mount and blade

- Observer

- Divinity

- Pathologic

- Steam world dig

- Amnesia

- Brothers: The tale of two sons

- A way out

- Speedrunners

- Tacoma

- Fury

- Celeste

- Terraria

- The red strings club

- Rust

- Pyre

- Titan souls

- Olli olli

- Roge legacy

- Child of light

- Thi is the police

- Overcooked

- Don´t strave

- Hollow night

- Thomas was alone

- Darkest dungeon

- What remains to Edith Finch

- Inside

- Faster than light

- Into the breach

- Hyper light drifter

- Ori and the bind forest

- Gone home

- Shovel knight

- Stardew Valley

- Night in the woods

- Firewatch

- Cuphead

- Papers please

- Spelunky

- Braid

- The stanley parable

- Deep rock galactic

- Chroma squad

- Astroneer

Those games are only a few examples of indie games. There are thousand of really awesome indie games out there and more and more every week. So just try to open your mind out of AAA games and just take care about what are you watching when you think you check indie games... maybe you are only viewing an amateur shit.

#23 Posted by Georgey128 (8 posts) -

I would suggest Idle Supermarket Tycoon. It's easy to download on apknite. And it's addictive

#25 Posted by Steve5XG (178 posts) -

@georgey128: you mean this, right?

Loading Video...

#26 Posted by Steve5XG (178 posts) -

Hi there,

New update with new three interesting indie games I've just played last week.

Plague. A Horror Game

Plagueis an indie horror game were you play as a escape of the plague chased by a plague doctor. It is the year 1749 and you are trying to escape from berlin that got hit by the plague. You are on the way out of town with your coach but your horses get scared for some reason and they send you flying down a hill. Now you find yourself in front of a small town and you need to get out of there...fast. Your goal is to survive and escape from the plague doctor that is chasing you down.

Loading Video...

Serious Sam: Tormental

Tormental is a 3D rogue-lite top-down shooter set in Serious Sam universe. Blast your way through the tormented mind of Notorious Mental, a demigod of destruction, as he imagines worlds and monsters that stand on your path towards his inner ego.

This is an early prototype, showcased at Reboot Develop in April 2018, coming from Croteam Incubator and created by Gungrounds developers/fans of Geometry Wars, Nuclear Throne, Binding of Isaac, Serious Sam and Enter the Gungeon.

Loading Video...

The Wild Eight

The Wild Eight tells the story of eight people whose everyday lives are forever changed after a horrific plane crash. They now find themselves stranded in the middle of nowhere, deep in the forests of Alaska.

You can play The Wild Eight on your own, but the game fully opens up in co-op mode. This is an old indie game, but I wanna talk about it because I really enjoyed.

Loading Video...

So, what do you think, guys? Any recommendations for this week?

#27 Posted by Steve5XG (178 posts) -

Hello everybody,

After a few months really busy working on a video game studio, now I can continue with this thread about three interesting new indie games I've just recently played.

Eath the rich

Can't stop laughing while playing this game. Eat the rich is a Black Friday Simulator where you gather a mob and score massive savings. Sounds crazy, isn't it? I know it's a very early prototype, but physics are simply amazing, I mean, the way the characters move is pretty cool. Just give it a try! I think it's only 30 minutes gameplay, but it worth it.

Lost in Tide

Lost in Tide is an exploration and survival game with a stressful gameplay based on tides behavior in a flooded building. Well, that's the dev explanation. What I like the most of this game is the graphics, really clean and aesthetics. I believe there is a lot of potential on this game, but it is still an early prototype, so I will wait 'till I see the improvements about gameplay.

Last Man Kicking

A bunch of dudes sit in an office, all of them wearing black suits and white collared shirts... and a football video game with guns and rifles. That's Last Man Kicking, a very funny game proposal if you want to play a saturday afternoon with friends and beers are everywhere. Like it, yeah.

Any suggestions to play this summer? Is there any indie game you can't wait to play? Wanna know it!

#28 Posted by Steve5XG (178 posts) -

Hi everybody!

So, I've been playing a few new indie games last weekend and I wanna share the three of them that I like the most. Remember these games are always free to be downloaded.

Encodya

Encodya is a 2D Point and Click adventure game based in a Cyberpunk Anime environment. Gotta say graphics look pretty cool, and that was the first reason why I downloaded the game. I know Point&Click adventures are only interesting for a few kind of players, but I guess this game was one of the most relevant indies I saw at itch.io.

Loading Video...

Backrooms

Backroomsis a tiny horror game based on the classic creepypastaconcept of the yellow rooms maze where nobody can escape and there's something running over you. This indie game brings a nostalgic feeling of being lost in endless piles of empty rooms with fluorescent lights at full hum-buzz. I gotta say this game, as an usual horror one, it's full lights on, and that's something a lil' bit different than the current horror indie market.

Loading Video...

(YouTube Video made by cmodplays)

Sprout

Sprout is all about exploration discovery and experimentation. The main idea is to play with all the elements you come across to create new life that will inhibit the large open environment. Like all the exploration games, I found it really quiet. I like the clear low poly aesthetic and it would be interesting just for 20 minutes. But as I told you before, itch.io didn't bring me much more interesting games last week.

Loading Video...

Looking for new indie games, not only on itch.io, but also Gamejolt and whatever. Any suggestion, guys?

#29 Posted by pook99 (862 posts) -

I'll be playing lots of indies thanks to the steam summer sale, I just finished wulverblade which is a really cool beat em up, reminds me of golden axe, with a nice story filled with real historical references.

I also played a game called invasher, its basically a mega man rip off, it is a fun game if your into that style of gameplay, not as good as the blue bomber himself but a fun game if you have played all the other mm games to death.

Currently playing Randall which is a 2d platformer/beat em up which seems to take place in some dystopian world. I'm still pretty early in it but what I have played so far seems promising, the platforming is really fun and so is the combat.

#30 Edited by Steve5XG (178 posts) -

@pook99: I am interested in the first one, because of the Golden Axe reference (reminds of my youngest times xD). Do you think 2D games are stronger in the indie market?? 'Cause you talked about 3 of them in your comment.

#31 Posted by Steve5XG (178 posts) -

Hi everybody,

New summer week, new indie games to talk about. These three games are especially interesting to me.

Among Trees

Among Trees looks like a beautiful survival simulator. In this game you can build your cabin, explore the deep forests and live peacefully among the trees. Obviously you'll have to eat, sleep and stay warm to survive. Visually smart, with a creative color palette that provides a very interesting aesthetic. But in my opinion too much pretentious in terms of marketing, just because they make a fake early access which brings users the "opportunity" to give feedback to the devs. Sounds cool, but gamers have to pay 20 bucks to "test" it. I believe devs need to understand how important is to create a huge community of players interested in their game, and if someone needs to pay first in order to test a game that is not finished yet... no thanks xD

However, game has a lot of potential if you want to play some kind of life simulator in an interesting environment.

Couldn't find a YouTube video gameplay.

Pumpkin Jack

Pumpkin Jack reminds me of Medievil games. This is a single-player 3D platformer video game where you fight monsters with your dazzling powers. And that's all pretty far xD. Yeah, maybe sounds like a basic game, but its features are pretty cool and gameplay is very funny, indeed.

Loading Video...

Conformity

Conformity is another one more horror video game from itch.io. The majoritiy of the game is set in an abbandoned house, where the player needs to explore, check objects like portraits and furniture to progress. Inanimate objects and ambient noises will be part of this small experience to contribute to the overall atmosphere.

What can I say? all the horror games at itch.io have the same features by far. And devs upload a lot of horror games every week. It's getting hardly difficult to find a good terrifying indie game. In my opinion devs must pay attention to the story they want to tell us. So, this week the best itch.io horror game might be this one.

Loading Video...

And that's all by now. That was not the best weekend for indie games. Remember there are like 600 new indie games per week at itch.io and sometimes one of the main problems finding new games is the way devs tag their own games. I mean, not all the games are suppossed to be tagged as horror, for example.

Wanna find some new indie games, specially the free ones xD

Any reccomendation?

#32 Edited by pook99 (862 posts) -

@steve5xg: Yes, I do feel that 2d is a major strength for indie games. I personally LOVE 2d games, especially platformers and prior to the indie scene these types of games were largely dying off with a few very notable exceptions(like symphony of the night)

I think the indie scene has expanded in a huge way over the last couple of years and now offers great experiences in many genres, but my personal favorite thing about them is the way they constantly churn out new retro experiences.

Having said that, Pumpkin Jack looks like a potentially great game, will definitely keep my eye out for its eventual release.

#33 Posted by Steve5XG (178 posts) -

@pook99 yeah, totally agree with you. 2D games are one of the indie devs strengths. I believe the way indies risk it all for a good concept game is what demands my attention. And definitely, it's amazing when a small group of people create something so interesting that I really need to play it. And of course that retro experience they really know how to add in their workis simply freaks me out.

Give it a try to Pumpkin Jack! It's free and that is a very good reason to download it xD

Have to say I played it like 15 minutes.

#34 Posted by Steve5XG (178 posts) -

Hello everybody!

Don't worry if you hate mondays, there are thousands hating it since the very first creation of the days. The best way I know to deal with mondays is just playing games, and I do like specially indies. This week I found these three games. There's a lot of potential in these games, so I hope you enjoy at least one of them.

Backland

Backland is an action game where stealth and exploration are the main features. The concept of the game is based in the idea of escaping a procedural generated city over taken by security drones and acid rain. I guess the purpose is to maintain the battery pack level to stay alive. Focused in a random map layout with a 3D pixelart.

Loading Video...

Streets of Rogue

Streets of Rogue is a rogue-lite about player choice, freedom, and anarchic fun. The game takes inspiration from Binding of Isaac and Nuclear Throne. Game is set in a functioning, procedural generated city. In order to progress, player will need to accomplish specific mission goals in any way.

Description in its itch.io page is fully detailed and that's something players do appreciate, because sometimes a couple of screens don't express the many features the game includes and in this case I believe it is important to read it in order to understand the kind of game we are about to download.

Loading Video...

Wild Woods

Wild Woods is a couch coop action game with rogelike elements. One to four players can take on the roles of the little cats defending their wooden wagon on its way through a dangerous forest. I guess story behind the game is a little bit naif, but gameplay looks promising and that's what matters in indie market. I've been looking for indie games for a long time and I think they do not pay too much attention in the story, I mean, they have a concept about the kind of game they wanna develop, but they rather work in the gameplay and graphics experience instead of script and lore. I can be wrong, of course, but you must understand more than 70 games are published everyday and it's hardly difficult to find real good indie games based in a whole interesting story.

Loading Video...

Still looking for the best indie game in 2019.