2D fighters took over the 3D ones in their graphics realm.

Valkeerie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Valkeerie
Member since 2013 • 326 Posts

Will the latter side step the issue, fail to jump over it, or take the former head on?

I hope that there is a fighter in the future that doesn't lock the characters to each other, that is, to readjust the camera so that they're always on the side. I don't want free movement to run aimlessly in circles like party brawlers though. I want the character to remain in fighting stances to swap between them and to make the move's input relative, not just to the stance, but to how it relates to the camera.

Let me give you an example: in case you used double forward and punch to make a heavy strike by tapping right (because you're the character on the left), you have to consider the character's facing direction relative to the camera, so that the double input matches and delivers the same strike. Should the character be facing forward by standing on the back of the screen, then tapping up on the d-pad twice would be the way to go.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Wtf are you talking about?

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

@vfighter said:

Wtf are you talking about?

He's saying he prefers 2d fighters (or really 3d fighters were you cant move up or down Mortal kombat is an example) compared to 3d fighters (tekken). Other than that I've got no idea.

l3igl3oss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 l3igl3oss
Member since 2004 • 74 Posts

He's basically saying that in 3D Fighters:

• He doesn't want the characters locked on to each other so that they can side step or circle the opponent.
  • He doesn't want the camera to show the characters on their side moving left and right.
  • He doesn't want free movement like Power Stone or Bushido Blade.

These I can agree with to take advantage of their environment, but not with what he said afterwards:

• The moves' input should take the characters' facing direction with regards to the camera, so that their forward is a diagonal on the d-pad in case they are facing northwest, for example.

It's very complicated to follow a few moves up with others when the camera pans around and you have to consider the character changing his facing direction. Do it like Shenmue I & II instead, where the camera angles give forward a broader range, and its moves are variants of left and right inputs.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#5 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

@npiet1 said:

He's saying he prefers 2d fighters (or really 3d fighters were you cant move up or down Mortal kombat is an example) compared to 3d fighters (tekken). Other than that I've got no idea.

With how nerfed and delayed side stepping is in Tekken 7 I'm surprised one can even call it a '3D Fighter' lol. Tekken was watered down to cater towards 2D Fighter fans. Otherwise those Supers (Rage Arts) and Akuma spamming would be pretty pointless. Tekken died with Tag 2, it's now just a cash-cow in the same way as Dead or Alive.

Soul Calibur VI is a pretty good 3D Fighting game though, probably mechanically the best Soul Calibur we've had. Even though the roster really needs some variety. Aeon, Yun-seong. . would even settle for Dampierre.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

@RSM-HQ said:
@npiet1 said:

With how nerfed and delayed side stepping is in Tekken 7 I'm surprised one can even call it a '3D Fighter' lol. Tekken was watered down to cater towards 2D Fighter fans. Otherwise those Supers (Rage Arts) and Akuma spamming would be pretty pointless. Tekken died with Tag 2, it's now just a cash-cow in the same way as Dead or Alive.

Soul Calibur VI is a pretty good 3D Fighting game though, probably mechanically the best Soul Calibur we've had. Even though the roster really needs some variety. Aeon, Yun-seong. . would even settle for Dampierre.

I haven't really played a fighter since tekken tag (the one with the bowling). It was the only example I knew.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

I mean, both are thriving really.

Everyone wins.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#8 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

I mean, both are thriving really.

Everyone wins.

Not really for 3D Fighters. But at least Soul Calibur has redeemed itself.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#9 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

I prefer 3D myself. Probably because I never grew up with 2D fighters all that much.

Valkeerie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Valkeerie
Member since 2013 • 326 Posts

The best that 3D Fighters can do is to unlock the characters from each other. 2D Fighters made sense with how their characters faced each other on a plane, and beat em ups like Guardian Heroes extended their arenas, so that we could move anywhere and face whomever we wanted. That's what 3D Brawlers do, but without a fighting system that isn't button mashing, because there's no 3D Fighter whose mechanics allow the arenas to be extended, and any opponent to be taken on. This is what I want for the genre in 3D: extensibility and the extra dimension to be enjoyed.

l3igl3oss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 l3igl3oss
Member since 2004 • 74 Posts

I think that you need to play a Dreamcast game called Ultimate Fighting Championship. It has 8-way movement like Soul Calibur and separate limb control like Tekken, and the fighters move about in their arena almost freely, but they're still forced to face each other. Perhaps those will be more up your league.