16 bit Developers Sountrack Showdown

This topic is locked from further discussion.

conkertheking1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 conkertheking1
Member since 2009 • 876 Posts

The fourth generation of consoles were nostalgic times. Both Nintendo and Sega fans had games with great soundtracks. But this isn't a poll for which console had the best music, this poll asks which game developer, in your opinion, made games with the best sountracks.

For choices, I listed four of my personal favorite developers who were all praised for their game themes in the SNES/Genesis era. I also realize that there are many others that had memorable soundtracks, so I gave an "other" option.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3mMY-_n3_E

All of the menioned had good ones tho.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts
it's kind of hard to compare Sega with nintendo because they sound so differently from each other
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
The most memorable Music from that gen, for me, comes from Mario World, Zelda, Star Fox, Donkey Kong Country, Sonic 1&2, Street Fighter, Streets of Rage 2, Pilotwings, Fzeo, and Mario Kart....off the top of my head
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

Nintendo. You cannot beat these tracks

Mother Brain (Possibly the most epic end boss and music ever)

Norfair Ruins

Maridia

Underwater Maridia

Super Metroid has the greatest music of that generation, and is one of the best ever. Legendary soundtrack. Legendary game.

And then of course there is the amazing ALTTP soundtrack.

Overworld

Zelda's lullaby

Kakariko Village

Both ALTTP and Super Metroid have stellar soundtracks (and gameplay), both of which paved the way for their 3D successors (Ocarina of Time and Metroid Prime) to become audio, visual, and gameplay masterpieces! :)

Rarewares games like Donkey Kong Country have some amazing music, but not as good as the previous two.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 NaveedLife

it's kind of hard to compare Sega with nintendo because they sound so differently from each other rilpas

Well sonic has always been more chaotic and such. I personally never get into the super crazy game music that goes really fast. I prefer the distinct tunes of Zelda, Metroid and others.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]it's kind of hard to compare Sega with nintendo because they sound so differently from each other NaveedLife

Well sonic has always been more chaotic and such. I personally never get into the super crazy game music that goes really fast. I prefer the distinct tunes of Zelda, Metroid and others.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you there, Sonic's tunes are not known for being chaotic

for example, how is this chaotic? or this I wouldn't even call some of it's faster tunes chaotic.

Again, not saying sonic has a better soundtrack then all nintendo games (though I do like that it has more variety then mario)

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

[QUOTE="rilpas"]it's kind of hard to compare Sega with nintendo because they sound so differently from each other rilpas

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you there, Sonic's tunes are not known for being chaotic

for example, how is this chaotic? or this I wouldn't even call some of it's faster tunes chaotic.

Again, not saying sonic has a better soundtrack then all nintendo games (though I do like that it has more variety then mario)

I agree about the first two sonic games, the first being the best, musically, IMO. However I'm not sure where you come to the conclusion that Sonic is more varied than Mario World.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

Heirren

I agree about the first two sonic games, the first being the best, musically, IMO. However I'm not sure where you come to the conclusion that Sonic is more varied than Mario World.

I'd say it's more varied because the sonic tunes for the genesis range from easy going songs to some that border on rock (specially with Sonic 3 and knuckles) though in this case it had mixed results, some of the songs were good others not so much

EDIT: there's even some that border on jazz

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#10 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

well , if the computers are not in this, then Squaresoft made some of the best music that generation , Sega as well, as did Capcom.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

[QUOTE="rilpas"]it's kind of hard to compare Sega with nintendo because they sound so differently from each other rilpas

Yeah I may be wrong. I have not played as much sonic as some people, so I only know so much and remember so much. I guess I am comparing it more to Zelda and Metroid rather than Mario. I prefer the music in those games since they are so moody and not as Zippy as Sonic and even Mario. With that said, I love some mario music and can see why someone would love sonic's.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

NaveedLife

Yeah I may be wrong. I have not played as much sonic as some people, so I only know so much and remember so much. I guess I am comparing it more to Zelda and Metroid rather than Mario. I prefer the music in those games since they are so moody and not as Zippy as Sonic and even Mario. With that said, I love some mario music and can see why someone would love sonic's.

As I said, Sega and nintendo have vastly different styles, it's almost impossible to compare them.

Sega doesn't have anything comparable to the Legend of Zelda or metroid whereas nintendo doesn't really have anything that compares to Streets of Rage or even comix zone for that matter.

different styles :P

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

rilpas

As I said, Sega and nintendo have vastly different styles, it's almost impossible to compare them.

Sega doesn't have anything comparable to the Legend of Zelda or metroid whereas nintendo doesn't really have anything that compares to Streets of Rage or even comix zone for that matter.

BUT...I think we can all agree the Mother Brain music and ending from Super Metroid demolishes everything in that gen ever :P.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

NaveedLife

BUT...I think we can all agree the Mother Brain music and ending from Super Metroid demolishes everything in that gen ever :P.

I've always been a genesis fanboy and I prefer sega's 16 bit offerings to Nintendo's

with that said Super Metroid and final Fantasy 6 are probably in my top 3-5 favourite 16 bit games, so yes, I agree :P

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

rilpas

I've always been a genesis fanboy and I prefer sega's 16 bit offerings to Nintendo's

with that said Super Metroid and final Fantasy 6 are probably in my top 3-5 favourite 16 bit games, so yes, I agree :P

haha. I always was a NIntendo kid, but I played a good bit of Sega titles at my buddies house. I remember a lot of sonic and the super hero game with flash and the whole bunch as well as many weirder villains. Never played much Final fantasy, chrono trigger, or other big JRPG's. I only really played Mario RPG, which is surprising given how much I love a good (J)RPG.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

NaveedLife

haha. I always was a NIntendo kid, but I played a good bit of Sega titles at my buddies house. I remember a lot of sonic and the super hero game with flash and the whole bunch as well as many weirder villains. Never played much Final fantasy, chrono trigger, or other big JRPG's. I only really played Mario RPG, which is surprising given how much I love a good (J)RPG.

growing up I had neither console, but I remember I played more SNES then I did the Genesis.

As I grew up I finally got to play more genesis games and I finally saw what I was missing. for me, the best genesis game ever is Shadowrun

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#17 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

I gotta go w/ Sega but mostly just on the strength of the Sonic games sountracks. I know the whole soundtrack to the first two by heart and they still pop in my head from time to time even w/o having played the game for years. The basslines were killer too. This goes only for Genesis though. Pretty much every non-Genesis Sonic game I've played has had really, really bad music--not that I have played very many.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 rilpas

I gotta go w/ Sega but mostly just on the strength of the Sonic games sountracks. I know the whole soundtrack to the first two by heart and they still pop in my head from time to time even w/o having played the game for years. The basslines were killer too. This goes only for Genesis though. Pretty much every non-Genesis Sonic game I've played has had really, really bad music--not that I have played very many.

logicalfrank

the master system sonic has some good tunes

bridge zone

Scrap zone

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="logicalfrank"]

rilpas

bridge zone

Scrap zone

I wish Sega had included the FM chip that was in the Japanese versions of the consoles. music like this would benefit alot from it.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="logicalfrank"]

Darkman2007

bridge zone

Scrap zone

I wish Sega had included the FM chip that was in the Japanese versions of the consoles. music like this would benefit alot from it.

Indeed

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="rilpas"]

bridge zone

Scrap zone

rilpas

Indeed

from what I know, it is possibly to modify US and PAL master systems with the Yamaha chip , but obviously if a game didn't take advantage of it (which I don't think Sonic did) , it would be useless. still , the Phantasy Star theme is great http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOKHsl632vQ hell , it sounds better than quite a few home computers at the time.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] I wish Sega had included the FM chip that was in the Japanese versions of the consoles. music like this would benefit alot from it.Darkman2007

Indeed

from what I know, it is possibly to modify US and PAL master systems with the Yamaha chip , but obviously if a game didn't take advantage of it (which I don't think Sonic did) , it would be useless. still , the Phantasy Star theme is great http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOKHsl632vQ hell , it sounds better than quite a few home computers at the time.

wait, so a PAL copy of say... r-type would use the Yamaha chip like the Japanese one?

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="rilpas"]

Indeed

rilpas

wait, so a PAL copy of say... r-type would use the Yamaha chip like the Japanese one?

as far as I know, yes, since the game inside is the same (apart from the language)
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] from what I know, it is possibly to modify US and PAL master systems with the Yamaha chip , but obviously if a game didn't take advantage of it (which I don't think Sonic did) , it would be useless. still , the Phantasy Star theme is great http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOKHsl632vQ hell , it sounds better than quite a few home computers at the time.Darkman2007

as far as I know, yes, since the game inside is the same (apart from the language)

:o

I NEED that upgrade

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Darkman2007

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I53ogUzx-k

actually, there you go , somebody playing what I think is the US version with the Yamaha board (he plays the game once without it, and once with it)

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 rilpas
seems expensive... but I want it
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Darkman2007
seems expensive... but I want it rilpas
also , if you have the PAL version ,the music will still be slower obviously, although if you were to play the PAL games on an NTSC system ,ironically they would run like they should
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 rilpas
yeah I have a PAL master system 2. I've been thinking of either buying a PAL master system 1 or an NTSC master system 1
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Darkman2007
[QUOTE="rilpas"]yeah I have a PAL master system 2. I've been thinking of either buying a PAL master system 1 or an NTSC master system 1

honestly, go for an NTSC one, it will work with every PAL game (no region lock , same cartridge slot) while running them correctly. though I wonder if the NTSC version lets you use RGB cables, I have a Master System 1 PAL and it has an RGB output of course, if you have the money , you could always get a PAL master system with a 60hz function, then you basically get the best of both worlds.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]yeah I have a PAL master system 2. I've been thinking of either buying a PAL master system 1 or an NTSC master system 1Darkman2007
honestly, go for an NTSC one, it will work with every PAL game (no region lock , same cartridge slot) while running them correctly. though I wonder if the NTSC version lets you use RGB cables, I have a Master System 1 PAL and it has an RGB output of course, if you have the money , you could always get a PAL master system with a 60hz function, then you basically get the best of both worlds.

I think you can plug in scart on a US master system

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="rilpas"]yeah I have a PAL master system 2. I've been thinking of either buying a PAL master system 1 or an NTSC master system 1rilpas

I think you can plug in scart on a US master system

doesn't mean its going to work, I would check it out. still if it does, it might be the best option , unless you can get a modified PAL one (that way you won't have to mess with step down conveters and such)
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 rilpas
I'll see what I can do, master system consoles are oddly expensive on ebay
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#33 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

Assuming we mean 16-bit consoles (since arcades and computers would be harder to define by bits), my top three would be:

NIHON FALCOM

• Ys I & II
  • Ys III: Wanderers From Ys (PCD/TCD, SMD/GEN, SNES)
  • Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys
  • Ys V: Lost Kefin, Kingdom of Sand
  • Dragon Slayer V: Sorcerian (PCD/TCD, SMD/GEN)
  • Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes (PCD/TCD, SMD/GEN, SNES)
  • Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes II (PCD/TCD, SMD/GEN)
  • Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Xanadu
  • Popful Mail

SEGA

• Out Run
  • Super Hang-On
  • Phantasy Star II
  • The Revenge of Shinobi
  • Sonic 2
  • Sonic CD (JP/EU, US)
  • Sonic 3
  • Streets of Rage
  • Streets of Rage 2