10-year old brother wants to get into JRPGs...where to start?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for somerandomguy64
SomeRandomGuy64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SomeRandomGuy64
Member since 2016 • 37 Posts

So about 2 years ago I was playing Final Fantasy X on my PS2 but only on mornings when I had no school which meant my brother watched my entire play-through, he was intrigued by the game and after I beat it he asked if he could play, I thought the game was too much for him mechanics wise but he hadn't gotten in Pokemon by that time so I got him playing some of those. Now, 2 years later, he's beaten most of the main series games, just not gen 6 or 7 as I don't have a 3DS, he still really wants to play Final Fantasy X but I'm still not sure about it. Do you have any other recommendations? Only requirements are that:

1: The mechanics have to be easy to understand for someone only getting into JRPGs (so no FF8)

2: They have to be available on NDS, PS2 or PC as they are the only systems I own (or GBA and PS1 because backwards compatibility)

3: They have to be available in the UK

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11664 Posts

@somerandomguy64: Based on your platforms of preference I always found the Disgaea games a nice series to jump into, or see what he thinks of Chrono Trigger. I'm assuming UK got releases for both.

SomeRandomGuy64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SomeRandomGuy64

@RSM-HQ: Chronol trigger would be good, need to go and find a copy which is pretty hard for me atm due to some circumstances but I'll pick it up if I can. I've never played the disgaea games myself though, they seem interesting and remind everyone of finatural fantasy tactics so I'll pick that up for myself first and have my brother play it a bit to see if it's his sort of game

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 RSM-HQ

@somerandomguy64: No problem dood, and best to research if it's what you and your brother would enjoy playing.

Makai Senki Disgaea is one of my favorites, especially the original game for its story and characters, so it's always a no-brainer for me to recommend. Chrono Trigger as you stated may be more difficult to get due to its limited physical supply. But can get CT on both your Playstation and DS if you come across a copy, DS version being superior.

For Disgaea I recommend the PS2 version personally, P.C. has a pretty messed up port and DS is ok for what it is, yet lacks a lot of the voice acting.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 judaspete  Online
Member since 2005 • 7247 Posts

I found the Grandia series easy to get into, and Grandia 2 was the first JRPG I ever finished. Character stats level up automatically, and equipment stats are all pretty straightforward. The battle system is unique and hard to describe, but not overly complicated. Sort of turn based, but actions play out in real time. For example, if a character chooses a slow attack, you may be able to interrupt with a quick one.

3 on the ps2 is probably the best from a gameplay perspective, though 1 and 2 had more compelling stories.

Mihael-Keehl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Mihael-Keehl
Member since 2009 • 2327 Posts

For the NDS i can't think of a better experience than Chrono trigger. For ps2i think Dragon quest 8 is an excellent choice

WeebDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 WeebDragon
Member since 2017 • 102 Posts

If you count Pokemon as a JRPG then that's a good game to start but if not then I'll go with Chrono Trigger (NDS) or Final Fantasy IV (NDS).

RockField

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 RockField
Member since 2017 • 500 Posts

How about let your brother try final fantasy 1. Its turn-based jrpg mechanics is simple or let him try playing sword of mana.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

While Disgaea is awesome, it is way to complex for a newcommer.

I think the best game right now is Costume Quest. It fits perfectly into late October as it is about Halloween and it's really simple and easy enough to get through. You can get it on PC or on your phone for a rather small price.

Loading Video...

Another easy JRPG on NDS would be Sonic Chronicles:

Loading Video...

I'll have to think about what else would fit your criteria.

SomeRandomGuy64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SomeRandomGuy64

@rockfield: Final Fantasy 1 is very simple but I constantly pick it up and put it down in favour of other games, he has claimed ownership of my old phone though so I may as well let him try and see what he thinks of it.

I've also never have even heard of sword of mana but it seems fun, that does remind me though,if the secret of mana remake is any good I might play it with him.

SomeRandomGuy64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SomeRandomGuy64

@somerandomguy64: Costume quest looks fun and simple enough and both of them are £3.74 in a pack on steam so I'll pick that up

Sonic Chronicles on the other hand.....

No offence if you like the game, if so I respect your opinion, but I personally didn't enjoy it. But my brother is 10 and at that age I remember have a much lower expectation for video games so I might get him to play it for an hour or so and let him form his own opinion.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

@somerandomguy64 said:

@somerandomguy64: Costume quest looks fun and simple enough and both of them are £3.74 in a pack on steam so I'll pick that up

Sonic Chronicles on the other hand.....

No offence if you like the game, if so I respect your opinion, but I personally didn't enjoy it. But my brother is 10 and at that age I remember have a much lower expectation for video games so I might get him to play it for an hour or so and let him form his own opinion.

Oh I'm not really into those games, I'm just trying to find games that would fit to a 10 year old newcommer to JRPGs. I'm more into SRPGs like the Disgaea series, but they are probbaly too hard and complex for a newcommer. I have seen adult streamers failing a lot in the Disgaea series because they weren't able to build a good strategy.

There really aren't many newcommer friendly JRPGs that are also made for kids. Sure there are games like Penny Arcade or South Park the Stick of Truth that are simple enough, but they really don't fit a 10 year old. Other games that are great like the Persona series on the other hand are probably too complex for a newcommer kid.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

World of Final Fantasy, Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, or Kingdom Hearts would be perfect imo

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RSM-HQ
@valgaav_219 said:

Kingdom Hearts

That's more of an Action RPG like Monster Hunter, The Witcher III, and etc.

Don't think it's what OP is really asking for_

Mihael-Keehl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Mihael-Keehl
Member since 2009 • 2327 Posts

Final fantasy 3 and 4 as well

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

@RSM-HQ: But those games you mentioned are much more complex. I was trying to mention games that are perfect for a younger audience and pretty easy to just pick up and play. I get your point, though.

OmniChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 OmniChris
Member since 2016 • 413 Posts

I'm pretty sure FFX is as basic as it gets when you match it up to a lot of other JRPGs old and new. The environments are pretty linear, the sphere grid isn't all that complex, battle system is pretty much on the same level of most JRPGs. At the end of the day though, I don't think complexity really matters, like as long as he's having fun with the story, he's just gonna keep wanting to come back to it.. I remember my first playthrough of FF8, I must of been what 7-10 years old? It was a complete disaster but I some how managed to get all the way to Ultimecias Castle with only 3 GFs lol. But I kept wanting to replay it cause I enjoyed it so much and eventually I was a junction system master.

I mean, it might actually be good for a child's brain to develop if you throw some complex systems his way and not coddle him with simplicity most his childhood. Children can be most willing to learn when they're having fun at the same time.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest was made precisely for that purpose.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#20 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest was made precisely for that purpose.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RSM-HQ
@valgaav_219 said:

@RSM-HQ: But those games you mentioned are much more complex. I was trying to mention games that are perfect for a younger audience and pretty easy to just pick up and play. I get your point, though.

Referring to the differences with turn-base and real-time combat.

I also wouldn't call The Witcher III "more complex" than Kingdom Hearts, especially the recent ones. It's about the same in depth and complexity.

Monster Hunter however? sure, but those I mentioned are simply examples of real-time RPGs with dodging/ mix combat mechanics. Not something I would recommend to a child.

Regardless, you had the right idea with Ni No Kuni, still need to play my copy.

SomeRandomGuy64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SomeRandomGuy64

@omnichris: FFX might be ok then, I mean I only ever play it with the expert grid and have never played it with the standard one and honestly I think the expert grid is really easy to mess up. So that maybe why I thought that, I'll have him play and see what he thinks

SomeRandomGuy64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SomeRandomGuy64

@Black_Knight_00: I don't own a SNES, I guess I could ask my uncle if I could use his but I've not spoken to him in years.

There is a CeX nearby that's selling one but I don't have £110 atm so thats out of the question.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

Dragon Quest games are pretty cutesy stuff for kids. Unless you think the dancers with their seducing battle powers are too racy. (theyre not)

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

I would recommend something easy to get into, fun and engaging without very deep stories and too many dialogues.

A fine game to start is GRANDIA 2 imho that does everything with style, specially the fights are super fun, while remains as simple as possible in lore and the whole gameplay concept. Dragon Quest series are also but i would recommend GRANDIA 2 over them ( not grandia 3 or something )

If he can handle something different that blends all different JRPGs element, 2D and 3D gameplay in a single game that is epicly fun for what it is, play EVOLAND 2. One of the cutest,simple and fun RPGs ive played in a while.

DarkLelouch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DarkLelouch
Member since 2017 • 9 Posts

Chrono Trigger and Grandia 2 are great recommendations!

But maybe he could try Final Fantasy IX. I kind of remenber it was easier than FFX and the story is great.

I mean if he really wants to play FFX maybe it would be a good idea to try FFIX or even VII first.

Rahnyc4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Rahnyc4
Member since 2005 • 6660 Posts

@somerandomguy64: personally start him off with Costume Quest games. 1 and 2, since its around Halloween. its a perfect light hearted easy RPG that may open him up to other RPGS, though it goes by the Mario RPG mechanic, that will instantly spoil his idea of turn base rpg.

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#28 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9174 Posts

I would have suggest Kingdom Hearts for the PS2

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 poe13
Member since 2005 • 1441 Posts

Chrono Trigger, FF6, 7, 9, Earthbound, and Persona 5 are the best JRPGs I’ve ever played

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

The "Breath Of Fire" series comes to mind as a good intro to JRPG, the 3rd, 4th and Dragon Quarter can be played on your PS2 system.