10 Unreleased Video Game Consoles

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

I thought this was a cool article and wanted to share. There were some oddities.

10 Unreleased Video Game Consoles

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#2 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

Ive heard of most of these.

one thing to correct is that the M2 (ie the 3DO2) was actually released as an arcade board used by Konami for some games

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocaTno8iYVU

also , the Sega Neptune would have been pretty useless.

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

everything beyond 1990 should have been released

Mr-Espresso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Mr-Espresso
Member since 2011 • 372 Posts

Wow thanks for this, haven't heard of most of these.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

M2 seems the most interesting to me. There were also talks about a Bandai console that would be stronger than Xbox was.

Here are some more:

http://ultimateconsoledatabase.com/unreleased.htm

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Darkman2007

another console not on that list is the Atari Jaguar 2 (they had the JaguarDuo , but thats different).

there are actually some Jaguar 2 prototypes in the hands of collectors, but obviously no games were made for it.

judging from the specs Atari gives, they seem bogus to me, or at least exaggerated, because they seriously approach Sega Model 3 arcade levels, which for a console in 1995-96 (when the Jag2 was meant to be released) was insane and would have cost way too much (the Model 3 came out in late 1996, and it was probably the most powerful gaming hardware in the world, so expecting that from a console is silly).

Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts

Very cool thanks for the article!

TH3xD4RKNESS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TH3xD4RKNESS
Member since 2011 • 31 Posts
Old consoles always had the best names.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
Liked my 3DO. Would have liked to have seen a follow up ...too bad
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Darkman2007
[QUOTE="rawsavon"]Liked my 3DO. Would have liked to have seen a follow up ...too bad

there are actually some 3DO M2 prototypes in the hands of collectors (and some even show up on online auctions for insane prices). there are some unfinished games for it, though nothing finished. also , that M2 arcace machine was very rarem though the games released for it show some nice capabilities.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
[QUOTE="rawsavon"]Liked my 3DO. Would have liked to have seen a follow up ...too badDarkman2007
there are actually some 3DO M2 prototypes in the hands of collectors (and some even show up on online auctions for insane prices). there are some unfinished games for it, though nothing finished. also , that M2 arcace machine was very rarem though the games released for it show some nice capabilities.

Some of my favorite games of all time were played on that machine (Super Wing Commander, Star Control 2, Return Fire)
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Darkman2007

well here is a game by Konami called Battle Tryst, which was released on the M2 arcade

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocaTno8iYVU

its clear the visuals are above anything the PS1 , Saturn or N64 could come out with , but its not model 3 quality either, nowhere near, and that means its not Dreamcast quality either.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nameless12345

I read the M2 graphics chip was roughly equal to a 3dfx Voodoo chip. So it was better than the PS1 and N64 but not that much. Here is a racing game for the M2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiUUb--ggIw&feature=related

Doesn't look all that great to me. Infact I think GT2 and World Driver on the N64 look better in some ways.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Darkman2007

I read the M2 graphics chip was roughly equal to a 3dfx Voodoo chip. So it was better than the PS1 and N64 but not that much. Here is a racing game for the M2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiUUb--ggIw&feature=related

Doesn't look all that great to me. Infact I think GT2 and World Driver on the N64 look better in some ways.

nameless12345
well , the M2 would have had a difficult time competeing with the next gen systems, which makes me wonder if it was meant to primarily compete with the PS1/Saturn/N64 primarily, in which case it would have been more then enough.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 nameless12345

A funny pic:

:P

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Darkman2007

maybe it was a good thing the SNES CD was never released, Sega got some bad press over the Mega CD, which might have been applied to Nintendo had the SNES CD been released.

besides, I personally think 1990 was too early for consoles with CDs, the technology was expensive, and there wasn't a great deal they could add to that generation besides beter music and the occasional FMV

in fact, if you look at Sonic CD, the vast majority of the used space is actually recorded music, the actual game portion of Sonic CD could have fit onto one of the larger carts at the time.

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

maybe it was a good thing the SNES CD was never released, Sega got some bad press over the Mega CD, which might have been applied to Nintendo had the SNES CD been released.

besides, I personally think 1990 was too early for consoles with CDs, the technology was expensive, and there wasn't a great deal they could add to that generation besides beter music and the occasional FMV

in fact, if you look at Sonic CD, the vast majority of the used space is actually recorded music, the actual game portion of Sonic CD could have fit onto one of the larger carts at the time.

Darkman2007
like today. if GTA had no sound or music, it would fit easily on a 3ds card. gtasa the same way but on the regular ds
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

bigM10231

like today. if GTA had no sound or music, it would fit easily on a 3ds card. gtasa the same way but on the regular ds

well it depends which GTA , and shows a certain lack of knowledge on your part.

GTA4 would have never fit on a 3DS card, and in fact I was surprised it fit on a single DVD in the 360 version. on the other hand,

GTA Chinatown Wars could fit on a DS card due to the smaller map , far, far less texture detail and less voice and music.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 nameless12345

Darkman2007

I think Mega CD could have been quite good if they didn't rush the release and fixed it's issues (like better video quality, more color palette, faster loading times, ect.) and of course made some good games for it (not just enhanced Genesis/MD ports and some weird "interactive movies").

SNES CD fell in water because Nintendo and Sony failed to make an agreement about licensing (rumour says Sony wanted the right to all Nintendo games on their CD add-on) so Sony grabbed the chance and made an own console from it. Ironically barely any people back then believed Sony will succeed with their console but that's another story.

I also read that SNES CD would come with a 21 Mhz co-processor. That's about the same as the second gen Super FX chip so maybe it would perform similary to it (Yoshi's Island, Doom and the unreleased Star Fox 2 used the second gen SFX chip in case you don't know).

But yes, I also think it was better they didn't release it (even if that made their worst enemy come true - the PlayStation).

I do like how the original prototype looked though. Basically a CD-ROM that you plugged in the SNES cartrige slot. Reminds me on the times when I didn't yet know that you need a PC for a CD-ROM unit to work :P

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

nameless12345

I think Mega CD could have been quite good if they didn't rush the release and fixed it's issues (like better video quality, more color palette, faster loading times, ect.) and of course made some good games for it (not just enhanced Genesis/MD ports and some weird "interactive movies").

SNES CD fell in water because Nintendo and Sony failed to make an agreement about licensing (rumour says Sony wanted the right to all Nintendo games on their CD add-on) so Sony grabbed the chance and made an own console from it. Ironically barely any people back then believed Sony will succeed with their console but that's another story.

I also read that SNES CD would come with a 21 Mhz co-processor. That's about the same as the second gen Super FX chip so maybe it would perform similary to it (Yoshi's Island, Doom and the unreleased Star Fox 2 used the second gen SFX chip in case you don't know).

But yes, I also think it was better they didn't release it (even if that made their worst enemy come true - the PlayStation).

I do like how the original prototype looked though. Basically a CD-ROM that you plugged in the SNES cartrige slot. Reminds me on the times when I didn't yet know that you need a PC for a CD-ROM unit to work :P

better video quality would have been very expensive, keep in mind even the 3DO and Saturn had video issues. faster loading would have also been expensive, the Mega CD had a 1X CD drive, which was pretty fast for the time, keep in mind the 3DO , Saturn and PS1 all had 2X speed later on .
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6552 Posts

I would have bought the Taito CD Rom console. Taito WOW. Just for Bubble Bobble, Rainbow Island the Story ofBobble Bobble 2.Parasol Stars The Story of Bubble Bobble 3. Bubble Memories. Bubble bobble Memories 2.

As well as Bust a Move 1,2,3 and The New Zealand Story. The Darius Series 1-6 Sky Shark.

But Taito would have taken forever to get around to releasing this games. Lucky for me there is Taito Legends 1&2.

This would have been released way back when being able to play videogame on a CD-Rom was a big deal. This would have been another NEC Turbo Duo.

Taito is one of my all time favorite developers ever. So I would have bought this even if it would have been crushed by Playstation 1

Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#22 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

yeah those unreleased CDROM based consoles were good to not be released. That Jaguar CD thing was a clunker. The fact that CDrom drives were so slow (1 or 2x) made it unbearable at times. Sega really should have NEVER made the Sega CD or the 32x. and Atari wasted $$$ on the Jaguar CD as a last ditch effort. It's probably good nintendo waited until Gamecube to move away from cartridges.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Darkman2007

yeah those unreleased CDROM based consoles were good to not be released. That Jaguar CD thing was a clunker. The fact that CDrom drives were so slow (1 or 2x) made it unbearable at times. Sega really should have NEVER made the Sega CD or the 32x. and Atari wasted $$$ on the Jaguar CD as a last ditch effort. It's probably good nintendo waited until Gamecube to move away from cartridges.

Talldude80
actually, Nintendo should have used CDs for the N64, while there is no guarantee a CD would have helped the machine, it would have at least solved some of its problerms
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 nameless12345

I think Atari shouldn't make the Jaguar in the first place :P

Atleast not without any decent 3rd party support.

[QUOTE="Talldude80"]

Darkman2007

actually, Nintendo should have used CDs for the N64, while there is no guarantee a CD would have helped the machine, it would have at least solved some of its problerms

Miyamoto said somewhere that he couldn't make Mario 64 and Ocarina on the CD format though. Now if that holds any weight or not decide for yourself.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="Talldude80"]

nameless12345

Miyamoto said somewhere that he couldn't make Mario 64 and Ocarina on the CD format though. Now if that holds any weight or not decide for yourself.

it doesn't hold any weight, if he said that at the time then of course he will defend Nintendo , who at the time were advertising against CDs. if he said it now, then its quite obvious hes again just trying to defend Nintendo :P.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] actually, Nintendo should have used CDs for the N64, while there is no guarantee a CD would have helped the machine, it would have at least solved some of its problermsDarkman2007

it doesn't hold any weight, if he said that at the time then of course he will defend Nintendo , who at the time were advertising against CDs. if he said it now, then its quite obvious hes again just trying to defend Nintendo :P.

He said something in the lines that CDs would mean long loading times and that he hates loading times.

Also SGI was advertising cartridges over CDs because they supposedly provided better graphics than CDs.

It's debatable if that's true though, seeing as how carts limited game content.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

He said something in the lines that CDs would mean long loading times and that he hates loading times.

Also SGI was advertising cartridges over CDs because they supposedly provided better graphics than CDs.

It's debatable if that's true though, seeing as how carts limited game content.

SGI were speaking a load of rubbish , just like them showing a bunch of CGI demos and claiming it was real time. besides, do you really expect them to say "oh we are working with Nintendo ,but we think their choice of media sucks" ? of course not