10 reasons to own a Vita

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

according to IGN agree or disagree? I have a vita myself and i am enjoying it

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/12/17/10-great-reasons-to-own-a-vita

#2 Posted by donalbane (16383 posts) -

I agree completely. Just got one 2 weeks prior to PS4 launch, and I love it. Been playing Mercenaries today, actually. Great game. It's like having a mobile PS3.

#3 Posted by Carl_W21 (2021 posts) -

I got my gf and son one each for xmas, along with disney mega pack, kids mega pack, tearaway and obv PS+ instant game collection, oh and marvel lego heroes !!!

I am jealous even though it was my idea to surprise them !!!

Maybe I will hog it if he is on Skylanders instead :D

SO yea TOTALLY AGREE !!!

#5 Posted by Zen_Light (2143 posts) -

I agree with some of those reasons, and Vita is starting to get some really good games. I still think 3DS is killing it though, with a much better library.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
#6 Edited by Black_Knight_00 (21015 posts) -

If it had two extra bumpers I would already own one. Though not for Vita games.

#7 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6054 posts) -

@donalbane: "Mercenaries"? What Mercenaries?

#8 Posted by Jacanuk (12392 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

Hmm, seems legit reasons and i will probably buy one also ,

#9 Posted by RimacBugatti (1632 posts) -

Well I'm wanting to get one but when I went to Walmart I didn't see but a few games as if it was being fazed out. Does the VITA have any racing games?

#10 Posted by touchscreenpad (220 posts) -

I want one too but I'm still enjoying my PSP so...yeah.

#11 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22931 posts) -

Had one since launch and it's been a pretty great system. Probably my favorite version of Katamari Damacy, Persona, INJUSTICE, MK9, etc. And the screen is so purdy.

My daughter wants a pink one when they release them.

#12 Edited by TwistedShade (3139 posts) -

A lot of their reasons are silly.

"First Party Support" is a huge joke, this whole year the only games Sony has given the system are Killzone, and Tearaway.

The "Power in your Pockets" Item doesn't make sense because I'm pretty sure Mobile Phones are obtaining more powerful GPU's than the Vita.

In all honesty the system is in a terrible place at the moment and it's future is apparently to be an accessory to the PS4. Third parties have abandoned it, and Sony doesn't seem to care anymore because releasing two games isn't enough to keep the system alive especially with what Nintendo has been doing.

I was all for trying to enjoy the system, but once the games ran out I wondered why I should try supporting a system Sony doesn't even want to. That became more apparent at the pathetic "Price Drop" on the overpriced memory cards, or the fact they tried to gouge people on them to begin with.

#13 Posted by RimacBugatti (1632 posts) -

So maybe it's time for Microsoft to step in and take over. As long as it's more powerful than a Tablet I would say they have an opportunity to take over the market. Vita isn't progressing unfortunately. It's almost a done deal.

#14 Edited by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

@RimacBugatti said:

Well I'm wanting to get one but when I went to Walmart I didn't see but a few games as if it was being fazed out. Does the VITA have any racing games?

Sonic Racing All Stars Transformed, Modnation Racers and Need for Speed Most wanted as far as i know

#15 Edited by tempura13 (523 posts) -
@The_Last_Ride said:

Agreed. I mean, how can you say no to a platform that can also play PSP, PSone, and PS4(remote play) games?

Personally can't wait for 2014 releases too.

@The_Last_Ride said:

@RimacBugatti said:

Sonic Racing All Stars Transformed, Modnation Racers and Need for Speed Most wanted as far as i know

Wipeout 2048!

#16 Posted by RimacBugatti (1632 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride: Ok thanks! Do you know if I can play Japanese imports on the American version of the PSVITA?

#17 Edited by tempura13 (523 posts) -
@RimacBugatti said:

@The_Last_Ride: Ok thanks! Do you know if I can play Japanese imports on the American version of the PSVITA?

Vita is region-free. However, DLCs aren't.

#18 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

@tempura13 said:
@RimacBugatti said:

Vita is region-free. However, DLCs aren't.

yup i am looking forward to more stuff for the vita

#19 Edited by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

@TwistedShade said:

"First Party Support" is a huge joke, this whole year the only games Sony has given the system are Killzone, and Tearaway.

The "Power in your Pockets" Item doesn't make sense because I'm pretty sure Mobile Phones are obtaining more powerful GPU's than the Vita.

In all honesty the system is in a terrible place at the moment and it's future is apparently to be an accessory to the PS4. Third parties have abandoned it, and Sony doesn't seem to care anymore because releasing two games isn't enough to keep the system alive especially with what Nintendo has been doing.

I was all for trying to enjoy the system, but once the games ran out I wondered why I should try supporting a system Sony doesn't even want to. That became more apparent at the pathetic "Price Drop" on the overpriced memory cards, or the fact they tried to gouge people on them to begin with.

Broadly speaking, Sony is more focused on the console market, Nintendo more focused on handhelds. However, Sony's focus varies from region to region. SCEA is the division of Sony least energetic about pushing/supporting the Vita (hard to blame them since unlike the other regions, they are locked in a tough battle with MS for console dominion) though of course the Vita's best region in terms of sales and support is far and away Japan.

Technically, the Vita is extremely strong (it can offer roughly PS3 quality visuals) and the OLED is gorgeous. Cell phones are perpetually getting better, but they aren't at the Vita's level in terms of game visuals quite yet and then there is the matter of buttons...

I completely agree the Vita is in a bad place since it is a distant second in a shrinking market (dedicated portables) but it has found several niches. Fighting games have done well on the Vita (the only fighter worth talking about with no Vita presence is VF) as have games from smaller Japanese publishers/developers such as Atlus, NIS and Vanillaware and a broad range of indie games (indie enthusiasm for the Vita has bolstered indie support for the PS4).

All those factors coupled with crossbuy (seen mainly in the indie space, it allows consumers to pay one price and play a game on the PSV as well as the PS3 or sometimes even the PS4) will translate into the Vita continuing to see support for the foreseeable future.

The Vita has a nice, broad selection of games which includes not only retail releases like Tearaway, Dragon's Crown, Killzone Mercenary, Blazblue and Gravity Rush but indie games like Guacamelee, Sound Shapes, Stick it to the Man (my most recent purchase, trailer below) and Velocity 2X.

Loading Video...

#20 Posted by Gargus (2147 posts) -

@TwistedShade said:

Youre living the past and obviously are not even trying to look for games. You just see the games sitting on the shelf at toys r us instead of going on like amazon or something where they are a ton of games you don't really see in a walmart or Meijer. Vita has a lot of retail games for it and it has even more digital ones. Everything from corpse party to ys memories of celceta and dozens and dozens of other games are out on it. Just because you seem lamestops weekly ad advertising the same old games doesn't mean there aren't more out there.

"Youre pretty sure", so you don't actually know or have any kind of proof to back up your idea that mobile phones are more powerful? You basically just made an assumption based on a negativity towards a product brand instead of actually finding out.

10 bucks for 8gb and 20 for a 16gb card isn't bad. They have been available at that price for quite awhile. Again you have to do more than look at what sears is selling them for. They finally got to the point where they made enough money to be able to sell them cheaper. You do realize that they aren't just flash cards that are common place correct? They were a proprietary memory card to give much better speeds than standard flash memory, of course you didn't because you don't care about facts, you just want to have a negative attitude for no reason so youll just say whatever sounds good to you.

You appear to have this preconceived notion about the vita and just sticking with it.

#21 Edited by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

i hope they keep releasing great games for this console next year

#22 Edited by tempura13 (523 posts) -
@The_Last_Ride said:

Some of the localized games (2014 release) announced so far:

• Conception II (Atlus)
  • Demon Gaze, Danganronpa, Hyperdimension Neptunia PP (NISA)
  • Toukiden (Tecmo Koei)
  • Ragnarok Odyssey Ace (XSeed)
  • Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F (SEGA)

And I'm guessing we'll get New Atelier Rorona some time later (and magically appear in the PS Store again). And oh, Soul Sacrifice Delta too.

#23 Posted by DarkCatalyst (20965 posts) -

@tempura13: Don't forget The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC. Anyone with a Vita who hasn't played the first game owes it to themselves to do so.

#24 Edited by tempura13 (523 posts) -
@DarkCatalyst said:

@tempura13: Don't forget The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC. Anyone with a Vita who hasn't played the first game owes it to themselves to do so.

I happened to play the first chapter some time ago, but haven't finished it. Didn't know there are more chapters to this game.

#25 Edited by DarkCatalyst (20965 posts) -

@tempura13: You spared yourself a brutal cliffhanger. But yes, Trails in the Sky is just the first part of a very long arc that has become my favorite RPG franchise of all time.

The Legend of Heroes: Sora no Kiseki/Trails in the Sky (subsequently dubbed FC)
The Legend of Heroes: Sora no Kiseki/Trails in the Sky SC
The Legend of Heroes: Sora no Kiseki/Trails in the Sky - the 3rd
The Legend of Heroes: Zero no Kiseki
The Legend of Heroes: Ao no Kiseki
The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki
(Unnamed seventh installment for PS4)

#26 Edited by KBFloYd (19164 posts) -

@tempura13 said:
@The_Last_Ride said:

• Conception II (Atlus)
  • Toukiden (Tecmo Koei)

And I'm guessing we'll get New Atelier Rorona some time later (and magically appear in the PS Store again). And oh, Soul Sacrifice Delta too.

i want god eater 2 :)

and toukiden

#27 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

@tempura13 said:
@The_Last_Ride said:

• Conception II (Atlus)
  • Toukiden (Tecmo Koei)

i am hoping for more than just rpg's to be honest, even though i love them, it's not the only reason i bought it

#28 Posted by tempura13 (523 posts) -
@KBFloYd said:

i want god eater 2 :)

and toukiden

Hoping they'll localize GE2 too!

@The_Last_Ride said:

i am hoping for more than just rpg's to be honest, even though i love them, it's not the only reason i bought it

I'm sure we'll get the variety we need :3

#29 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

i love seing games like KZ, Tearaway, Persona 4 Golden, hell even AC Liberation even though it's not exclusive anymore is good for Vita

#30 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -

When they get some games that interest me I may get one in the future, very sleek system. The PSP is a bastion of RPG goodness (still have Tactics Ogre: Let Us Stand Together in the wrapper to unwrap and play) so it fills a nice niche. As of right now though there isn't a single vita game that really interests me.

#31 Posted by Zijuun (95 posts) -
@donalbane said:

I agree completely. Just got one 2 weeks prior to PS4 launch, and I love it. Been playing Mercenaries today, actually. Great game. It's like having a mobile PS3.

Is it possible to take you Vita out of your house (away from your PS3/4) and still play PS3/4 games on it?

#32 Edited by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

@El_Zo1212o said:

@donalbane: "Mercenaries"? What Mercenaries?

I'm sure he means Killzone: Mercenary

#33 Edited by topgunmv (10745 posts) -

@Gargus said:

@TwistedShade said:

"Youre pretty sure", so you don't actually know or have any kind of proof to back up your idea that mobile phones are more powerful? You basically just made an assumption based on a negativity towards a product brand instead of actually finding out.

You appear to have this preconceived notion about the vita and just sticking with it.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2400433,00.asp

Vita is about as powerful as the iphone 4 or anything with a tegra 3, and a lot of phones like the galaxys4 have waynicer displays.

#34 Edited by TwistedShade (3139 posts) -

@Gargus said:

@TwistedShade said:

Youre living the past and obviously are not even trying to look for games. You just see the games sitting on the shelf at toys r us instead of going on like amazon or something where they are a ton of games you don't really see in a walmart or Meijer. Vita has a lot of retail games for it and it has even more digital ones. Everything from corpse party to ys memories of celceta and dozens and dozens of other games are out on it. Just because you seem lamestops weekly ad advertising the same old games doesn't mean there aren't more out there.

10 bucks for 8gb and 20 for a 16gb card isn't bad. They have been available at that price for quite awhile. Again you have to do more than look at what sears is selling them for. They finally got to the point where they made enough money to be able to sell them cheaper. You do realize that they aren't just flash cards that are common place correct? They were a proprietary memory card to give much better speeds than standard flash memory, of course you didn't because you don't care about facts, you just want to have a negative attitude for no reason so youll just say whatever sounds good to you.

First off, those prices are holiday sales that aren't going to last. I also like how you didn't mention the 32GB Memory card which costs more than most 64GB SD Cards. Also those cards aren't faster than class 10 SD Cards which still cost less. "Pretty sure" was a poor choice of words. The Vita is definitely weaker than Mobile phones and tablets and there's no doubt about it, not to mention many of their screens look better than the Vita's as well. I just scrolled through Amazon's Vita Games List. Many of the games came out last year. The ones that didn't or either rehashed games that are stripped down for the Vita, or games that just sucked. You can't spin the fact that Sony themselves only released TWO main exclusives for the system this year as a good thing.

#35 Edited by Zijuun (95 posts) -

I'd buy the Vita but it needs more must-buy/bestselling games other than Tearaway, KZ: Mercenary and AC: Liberation. It also needs to notch the price of itself and it's games down.. It costs almost if not as much as a PS3 and after all it's only a handheld. But I don't see prices get any lower anytime in the horizon of the future, Sony is stubborn with it's prices ( and the WiiU has similar problemos).

For those reasons^, the Vita is getting @$$-whooped by the 3DS.

And if Sony can, it needs to expand the realm of remote play, so that if you're travelling out of the state or something, you can still have access to PS3/4 games. That and including the reasons above will put the Vita above on sales if not beat the 3DS' sales.

#36 Edited by RimacBugatti (1632 posts) -

I'm saving up for a PSVITA but my question is do you know if the newer model is coming out? And if so when is it suppose to release?

#37 Posted by tempura13 (523 posts) -
@TwistedShade said:

First off, those prices are holiday sales that aren't going to last. I also like how you didn't mention the 32GB Memory card which costs more than most 64GB SD Cards. Also those cards aren't faster than class 10 SD Cards which still cost less. "Pretty sure" was a poor choice of words. The Vita is definitely weaker than Mobile phones and tablets and there's no doubt about it, not to mention many of their screens look better than the Vita's as well. I just scrolled through Amazon's Vita Games List. Many of the games came out last year. The ones that didn't or either rehashed games that are stripped down for the Vita, or games that just sucked. You can't spin the fact that Sony themselves only released TWO main exclusives for the system this year as a good thing.

I agree on some of your points though. Proprietary cards are expensive, effectively putting off a lot of potential buyers. Vita is not the only Sony product with the proprietary stuff, so it's nothing new.

And why compare high-end smartphones (that cost twice or thrice as much) to the Vita(which is already powerful as it is)? Of course, they'll be better hardware-wise, but you can't beat a dedicated gaming machine in something that it does best. Mobiles can't just compete in that aspect. Even the PSP/DS still wins by miles.

As for the games, you're just not looking hard enough. Portables are a niche platform (at least outside Japan), but this doesn't mean that the games aren't good. As far as ports are concerned, you seem exaggerating. Most, if not all, ports in the system are handled well. Some even have enhance controls thanks to Vita hardware. And how can you say that a particular game 'sucked'? If a game doesn't appeal to you, then move on. Simple, right?

And you can't deny the fact that Vita gets games. Yeah, more first-party exclusives are nice, but I personally don't expect much, considering the software support for the Vita in the west (and more especially with the PS4 already out). You'll find all the good Vita stuff in Japan. If those games doesn't fancy you, then you're out of luck.

I also find it ironic that people keep saying that the Vita needs more games, but when they do show up, they'll just wait for it to come as a PS+ offering (or price drop), depriving the game of sales. Then, the game will be forgotten as if it never existed (and people wonder why devs abandon the platform). What an unfortunate cycle the Vita got into.

Another problem is advertising. Tearaway is struggling in sales because there's no marketing for it (Just like Killzone). Media Molecule made a damn great game, but we won't probably see a sequel/successor if people wouldn't support it. Sony can do better. Vita deserves better.

#38 Posted by TwistedShade (3139 posts) -

@tempura13 said:
@TwistedShade said:

I agree on some of your points though. Proprietary cards are expensive, effectively putting off a lot of potential buyers. Vita is not the only Sony product with the proprietary stuff, so it's nothing new.

And why compare high-end smartphones (that cost twice or thrice as much) to the Vita(which is already powerful as it is)? Of course, they'll be better hardware-wise, but you can't beat a dedicated gaming machine in something that it does best. Mobiles can't just compete in that aspect. Even the PSP/DS still wins by miles.

As for the games, you're just not looking hard enough. Portables are a niche platform (at least outside Japan), but this doesn't mean that the games aren't good. As far as ports are concerned, you seem exaggerating. Most, if not all, ports in the system are handled well. Some even have enhance controls thanks to Vita hardware. And how can you say that a particular game 'sucked'? If a game doesn't appeal to you, then move on. Simple, right?

And you can't deny the fact that Vita gets games. Yeah, more first-party exclusives are nice, but I personally don't expect much, considering the software support for the Vita in the west (and more especially with the PS4 already out). You'll find all the good Vita stuff in Japan. If those games doesn't fancy you, then you're out of luck.

I also find it ironic that people keep saying that the Vita needs more games, but when they do show up, they'll just wait for it to come as a PS+ offering (or price drop), depriving the game of sales. Then, the game will be forgotten as if it never existed (and people wonder why devs abandon the platform). What an unfortunate cycle the Vita got into.

Another problem is advertising. Tearaway is struggling in sales because there's no marketing for it (Just like Killzone). Media Molecule made a damn great game, but we won't probably see a sequel/successor if people wouldn't support it. Sony can do better. Vita deserves better.

Take note I said Phones *and* tablets, most tablets cost around what the Vita does and they offer more power, more usability, and at this point better screens as well (See Nexus 7/Kindle Fire HDX). System isn't getting games. Sony only released two first party titles for it, and most third parties either appear to be done with it, or they're rarely releasing multiplatform games on it. It needs it's own unique games to survive not games people could find a better experience on other systems for.

#39 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

@TwistedShade said:

@tempura13 said:
@TwistedShade said:

Take note I said Phones *and* tablets, most tablets cost around what the Vita does and they offer more power, more usability, and at this point better screens as well (See Nexus 7/Kindle Fire HDX). System isn't getting games. Sony only released two first party titles for it, and most third parties either appear to be done with it, or they're rarely releasing multiplatform games on it. It needs it's own unique games to survive not games people could find a better experience on other systems for.

Its nonsensical for a guy touting cellphone/tablet gaming to resolutely ignore the fact that the Vita is a very popular platform for indie games. Its also worth noting that due to buttons, dpads and analog sticks, Vita games also tend to control better than then tablet counterparts. *Shrugs* But I'm not seeking to reason with you, I'm just pointing out how silly your arguments are.

#40 Posted by Grieverr (2835 posts) -

The proprietary memory card, for me, ruined everything. I am not paying $100 for a 64GB card. Also, I play many different games at the same time, so I'm not the type that wants to delete and re-download games with any kind of frequency.

#41 Posted by tempura13 (523 posts) -
@TwistedShade said:

That's why we can't compare them to a dedicated gaming machine. I mean, you don't buy a Vita and expect it to function as a tablet, right?

You should give the Vita some merit too! The picture quality you get from its OLED screen is something else and the system's processors are apparently underclocked to save more juice. And its hardware offers unique experiences to games which you can't find elsewhere. Be proud to be a Vita owner ;3

And well, the games are debatable. I'm not hard to please, so that probably helps. Why not check the PSP (or PSOne) catalog? You might like something there.

#42 Posted by Zijuun (95 posts) -

@Grieverr said:

The proprietary memory card, for me, ruined everything. I am not paying $100 for a 64GB card. Also, I play many different games at the same time, so I'm not the type that wants to delete and re-download games with any kind of frequency.

True 'dis.

Avatar image for klonoafanboy122
#43 Edited by klonoafanboy122 (232 posts) -

@TwistedShade said:

so does gravity rush nor exist or is it to niche to be a first party game