Is it possible to hook a GCN upto a monitor?

darklord888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 darklord888
Member since 2004 • 8382 Posts

Is it? Or only a TV?

lrrydaqcumber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 lrrydaqcumber
Member since 2007 • 190 Posts
I believe only the T.V.
Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts

Yes... you'll need either a composite/S-Video to VGA converter, or a component-VGA transcoder if you have component cables. Component-VGA gives the best looking signal, and it enables progressive scan, but it only works with progressive scan-enabled games, and you have to have a GCN component cable and the digital video output. Good component-VGA transcoders are the VD-Z3 and X2VGA; I don't have any experience with composite or S-video adapters, so I can't give you any help with those.
CodeZebra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 CodeZebra
Member since 2003 • 218 Posts

Will composite cables work in a component input? Like the composite video output into one of the video inputs in component and the audio some other way? Or do you need just component?

If so, is there anything to convert composite to component so I can plug say, a gamecube without the digital a/v output into the vd-z3 to plug into a monitor?

SolidSnake1125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SolidSnake1125
Member since 2007 • 907 Posts
i believe its just tv, i dont know all the details like the posts above me do though
deadmeat59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#6 deadmeat59
Member since 2003 • 8981 Posts
you can but its a real pain what monitor do you have?
Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts

Will composite cables work in a component input? Like the composite video output into one of the video inputs in component and the audio some other way? Or do you need just component?

If so, is there anything to convert composite to component so I can plug say, a gamecube without the digital a/v output into the vd-z3 to plug into a monitor?

CodeZebra

Nope, component cables are a seperate set of cables; each component cable carries part of the video signal. So to use component cables, you also have to use the normal AV cables for the audio. Why bother trying to convert composite to component if you don't have a VD-Z3 already though? It's probably easier to just get a composite-VGA converter... they're a lot easier to find, too.

Gamecube_Dude4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Gamecube_Dude4
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
possibly...