Radiata_Blue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Radiata_Blue
Member since 2006 • 250 Posts
GC had more 1st party and franchise titles than were on PS2 and Xbox, which had a lot of 3rd party licensed games. Doesn't this make the GC fanbase, those who stuck with the GC, the true hardcore gamers of last gen? It seems to me like Nintendo has done a total 360 (no pun intended) with the Wii which is much more focused on the casual gamer than the GC was. That might be why its more popular, but personally I'll always see the GC as a true hardcore gamers system. GameCube will never die!
manningbowl135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 manningbowl135
Member since 2006 • 7457 Posts
No that makes GC fanbase devout followers of the Nintendo franchises. I don't know what hardcore gamers mean, but it's usually people who likes games more than the usual person.
Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts

Personally I do consider the GC a hardcore system, but it depends on your definition of hardcore.

Most of the casual gaming types went and bought a PS2 or Xbox last gen.

GSmashX_202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 GSmashX_202
Member since 2007 • 601 Posts

Personally I do consider the GC a hardcore system

Rocky32189

Me too

pugsy44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 pugsy44
Member since 2007 • 1682 Posts

Personally I do consider the GC a hardcore system, but it depends on your definition of hardcore.

Most of the casual gaming types went and bought a PS2 or Xbox last gen.

Rocky32189

I bought all 3, and a Gameboy :D

sumo1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 sumo1973
Member since 2005 • 1195 Posts
I think so but it also depends on what games you bought for it as well.
DarkSword08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DarkSword08
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
like they said it depends on what you call hardcore gaming
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

like they said it depends on what you call hardcore gamingDarkSword08

yeah the word is used pretty loosely

I mean I hear people say there hard core because they play M rated games :roll:

or they try to beat every game with 100%

or they do the hardest difficulty.

GC does have quite a few games where theres lots of stuff to do before getting 100% MP, Loz, MK, SSBM, etc.

So GC can be one of those hard core systems.

Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts

Pfft no... not in a brand identity sense at least. The PS2 and Xbox were more popular with the casuals, but they also had a lot of well-known games that were traditionally considered "hardcore." I mean, the GC does have games like Ikaruga and F-Zero, but most of the GC's popular games are games like Mario Kart, Zelda, and SSB.

Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#10 Bgrngod
Member since 2002 • 5766 Posts

I bought my GC in 2002 during my senior year in college. I had it next to my Xbox and PS2. Everyone else I knew that played games had either a PS2 or an Xbox. Hardly anyone had both, and none had a GC. I remember hanging out with some friends and having people mention to others "That dude even has one of those new Nintendo systems that's super small. You should see the controller on that thing." Being labelled the "gamer guy" just because I owned a GC was kinda funny. I got quite the reactions from people when I ended up getting a GBA too.

From my personal experience, it was hardcore for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c68d7f3aa14a
deactivated-5c68d7f3aa14a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#11 deactivated-5c68d7f3aa14a
Member since 2004 • 1200 Posts
I still see the Gamecube as one of the worst video game systems of all time. Besides a few Nintendo exclusives, the Gamecube didn't have anything other systems didnt. I'll admit that I'd love to see some Mario Kart on another system, and the Resident Evil remakes were absolutely fantastic, but everything else was garbage. Ps2 and Xbox reign supreme over the Cube any day of the week.
manningbowl135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 manningbowl135
Member since 2006 • 7457 Posts

I still see the Gamecube as one of the worst video game systems of all time. Besides a few Nintendo exclusives, the Gamecube didn't have anything other systems didnt. I'll admit that I'd love to see some Mario Kart on another system, and the Resident Evil remakes were absolutely fantastic, but everything else was garbage. Ps2 and Xbox reign supreme over the Cube any day of the week.TheXboxgamer73

Miss system wars of last gen much?

Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts
No, not really, at least I don't think so, but I guess it varies with certain people. But if you ask me, no.
SauceCaptain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SauceCaptain
Member since 2004 • 1273 Posts

I still see the Gamecube as one of the worst video game systems of all time. Besides a few Nintendo exclusives, the Gamecube didn't have anything other systems didnt. I'll admit that I'd love to see some Mario Kart on another system, and the Resident Evil remakes were absolutely fantastic, but everything else was garbage. Ps2 and Xbox reign supreme over the Cube any day of the week.TheXboxgamer73

Hmmm, from somebody called the "TheXboxGamer" you make such a valid argument. Mabey you should try some gamecube games or actually play them a whilebefore you talk out of your but anymore. I own a xbox to this day and gamecube > xbox and I never even wanted a PS2, and still don't.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Minishdriveby

[QUOTE="TheXboxgamer73"]I still see the Gamecube as one of the worst video game systems of all time. Besides a few Nintendo exclusives, the Gamecube didn't have anything other systems didnt. I'll admit that I'd love to see some Mario Kart on another system, and the Resident Evil remakes were absolutely fantastic, but everything else was garbage. Ps2 and Xbox reign supreme over the Cube any day of the week.SauceCaptain

Hmmm, from somebody called the "TheXboxGamer" you make such a valid argument. Mabey you should try some gamecube games or actually play them a whilebefore you talk out of your but anymore. I own a xbox to this day and gamecube > xbox and I never even wanted a PS2, and still don't.

Same for me it went PS2>GC>XBOX for me all the xbox had were FPS and some action games Also alot of sport games (which I hate). I only needed 13 xbox games before I thought I didnt need anymore. PS2 I have like 48 games, and for my Gamecube I have 28.

Superlegtesta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 Superlegtesta
Member since 2003 • 389 Posts

I don't think the adjective "hardcore", while reffering specifically to a gamer, an apply to a system.

A hardcore player is defined, to me, by the quantity and quality of games he chooses to play and by the efforts he puts into it. So a owner of any system could become a "hardcore gamer". Debating about the "harcoreness" of the Gamecube brings us back to the systems war, which I don't think is the point here.

I would like to say "yes" to your observation, since I think the Gamecube was an underrated system by a large part of the gaming community. But it doesn't make it any more hardcore than the NeoGeo, the Dreamcast, the PS2 or whatever.

Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Funkyhamster

I don't think the adjective "hardcore", while reffering specifically to a gamer, an apply to a system.

A hardcore player is defined, to me, by the quantity and quality of games he chooses to play and by the efforts he puts into it. So a owner of any system could become a "hardcore gamer". Debating about the "harcoreness" of the Gamecube brings us back to the systems war, which I don't think is the point here.

Superlegtesta

Good point... any decent game has potential to be enjoyed by a hardcore gamer if that's what they're into.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#19 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

i got all 4 from last gen

dream cast

ps2

gamecube

xbox

and all 3 iterations of the gba

gba

gbasp

gbmicro

this gen i got all of em as well

ps3

wii

xbox360

psp

ds

dslite

psplite

and have all these from previous gen

nintendo 64 ps1 gbc-5th gen

sega cd genesis gamegear snes -4th gen

3rd gen nes gb

so that leaves anything from 1st and second gen also master system and satun

and without a doubt the dream cast was the worst console not only of last gen of all time ,,, it was short lived not many fps games not many good racing titles, and many of the games were from n64 era im sorry but its true,

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Minishdriveby

i got all 4 from last gen

dream cast

ps2

gamecube

xbox

and all 3 iterations of the gba

gba

gbasp

gbmicro

this gen i got all of em as well

ps3

wii

xbox360

psp

ds

dslite

psplite

and have all these from previous gen

nintendo 64 ps1 gbc-5th gen

sega cd genesis gamegear snes -4th gen

3rd gen nes gb

so that leaves anything from 1st and second gen also master system and satun

and without a doubt the dream cast was the worst console not only of last gen of all time ,,, it was short lived not many fps games not many good racing titles, and many of the games were from n64 era im sorry but its true,

mariokart64fan

for people who dont like racing and FPS that much it was pretty good, even though it was short lived.

DarkSword08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DarkSword08
"The GameCube will never die."
Thiago26792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Thiago26792
Member since 2007 • 11059 Posts
Every system has hardcore games, so no, I don't think the GC is the only hardcore system. But I do prefer the GC and I agree that it would never die.
GSsw009b7359

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GSsw009b7359

I don't think I'd call it a "hardcore" gamer system, I much prefer "gamers" gamers system if that makes sense.

A system for those that favour innovative, clever, well designed games with a clear identity artistically and gameplay that sets them apart from the crowd. You can always see that alot of love goes into a nintendo game especially the flagship titles as opposed to your average game thats why the visuals and gameplay stay the test of time more so than your average title.

By gamer's gamers I guess what I mean is those that saw that although Sonic/Mario were great games Mario stomped all over it in terms of design/gameplay, likewise Fifa/ISS, mario 64/Crash Bandicoot etc

Its a subjective thing though clearly......I'd agree with others about the lack of third party support though, I thought the Cube did alright but N64 was a complete failure IMO, seemed like I'd only just bought it and the machine was finished a few months later.

Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Funkyhamster

I thought the Cube did alright but N64 was a complete failure IMO, seemed like I'd only just bought it and the machine was finished a few months later.

GSsw009b7359

Did you get your N64 in 2000? :P

GSsw009b7359

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GSsw009b7359

LOL, I got it around the time Goldeneye came out, spent alot on it too, had the memory expansion and was well impressed with what it did to Turok 2, Zelda, Perfect Dark - I think what made me scrutinise a console like the N64's lifespan is that at the same time I had a PS1 and they lasted forever much like PS2 plus they were flooded with games, the N64 eventually got to the point like the Dreamcast where you had a game coming out a month if you were lucky then there were alot of canned titles and it curled up and died even though technically some of the stuff it was doing was blowing the Playstation titles away. ISS for example compared to the PS1's version, Mario 64, Zelda, Turok 2...it wasn't like the machine was out of its depth or anything more like it wasn't supported and the playstation marketing campaign appealed more to what would be considered the core market these days.

I mean did you not find it had a short lifespan and very little games when you think about it especially compared to Sonys offering?

Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Bgrngod

LOL, I got it around the time Goldeneye came out, spent alot on it too, had the memory expansion and was well impressed with what it did to Turok 2, Zelda, Perfect Dark - I think what made me scrutinise a console like the N64's lifespan is that at the same time I had a PS1 and they lasted forever much like PS2 plus they were flooded with games, the N64 eventually got to the point like the Dreamcast where you had a game coming out a month if you were lucky then there were alot of canned titles and it curled up and died even though technically some of the stuff it was doing was blowing the Playstation titles away. ISS for example compared to the PS1's version, Mario 64, Zelda, Turok 2...it wasn't like the machine was out of its depth or anything more like it wasn't supported and the playstation marketing campaign appealed more to what would be considered the core market these days.

I mean did you not find it had a short lifespan and very little games when you think about it especially compared to Sonys offering?

GSsw009b7359

You did read the title right? The part where we are discussing the GC, not the N64?

Drazule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Drazule
Member since 2007 • 8693 Posts

I liked the GC, thoughit didn't have many of the fancy FPSs that people boasted about, it was a very hardcore system that was

a) the first to use Next Gen Console

b) Hardcore in the devout series/franchise factor

c) games were significantly cheaper than the others

D) if you never tried a game-cube, the retail value for a new one is $45, a bargain

Malikas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Malikas

No, it's not true. I think Gamecube isn't the worst console ever. GC haves a lot of games. You think, WWE: Day of Reckoning, Metroid Prime, Super Mario, Freedom Fighters, Batten Kaitos, F-Zero GX, Eternal Darkness was garbage? If this games are garbage, what can give us Xbox? Few FPS and best graphics? But the graphics isn't Nr. 1, the gameplay is Nr. 1. Yes PS2 have the best games but Gamecube have the "charm" like no others.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c68d7f3aa14a
deactivated-5c68d7f3aa14a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#29 deactivated-5c68d7f3aa14a
Member since 2004 • 1200 Posts
WWE: Day of Reckoning is a joke in comparison to the PS2 Smackdown games, Freedom Fighters was fantastic (but was also on the PS2 and Xbox).What can the Xbox give us? Are you kidding me? The system itself provides some of the most solid online gaming I've ever witnessed, plus the internal hard drive drove away the need for buying countless memory cards. Even if we stray from hardware characteristics, the system had an awesome lineup of games. Lets see: Elders Scrolls: Morrowind, Deus Ex: Invisible War, Oddworld: Stranger, Halo, Halo 2, Unreal Championship 1&2, ESPN NFL 2K5, Max Payne 1 & 2, Fatal Frame 1 &2, Chronicles of Riddick, Half-Life 2, Silent Hill 2 & 4, Star Wars: KOTOR 1 &2, Jade Empire, Ghost Recon 2, Splinter Cell, Doom 3, Mechassault, Fable, etc... Besides a first person Metroid game, some Mario games, and F-Zero, the Gamecube really has nothing to offer. I own a Gamecube and the only games I own are the Resident Evil remakes and Tales of Symphonia. 95% of the decent titles on the system are on other systems as well, and a majority of the time, also offer online gameplay. I'm not anti- Nintendo either, Ioved the NES, SNES, and the 64, plus I love my DS, but I wont deny that the Gamecube is just bleh...
Avatar image for cookoo4cocopuff
cookoo4cocopuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 cookoo4cocopuff
Member since 2005 • 793 Posts
i would say not, in my opinion the xbox and the ps2 were more focused to hardcore gamers. and if you ask me the GC was more focused around the casual group of gamers with more casual games.
Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Bgrngod

i would say not, in my opinion the xbox and the ps2 were more focused to hardcore gamers. and if you ask me the GC was more focused around the casual group of gamers with more casual games.cookoo4cocopuff

I'd say it was pretty hardcore to be busting out Pikmin when everyone else was playing GTA during college.

Cliffzorz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 Cliffzorz

I think the "Hardcore gamers" that the Gamcube attracts are the gamers who play for the fun, and challenge, not for the gratuitous amounts of blood and sex.

Admittedly I love Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox, but that was really the only good game on the system for me. I swapped my Xbox for a Gamecube with MP and I never regretted it (I did at one point wish I could play NG on it, but that passed).

As games got harder to find for GC I moved onto Xbox 360, which wasn't all that bad, but the games didn't stand out and I felt like I'd done it all before *cough* Halo *cough*, there was no magic.

So I sold the 360 to buy Gamecube games.

Now I have more fun playing Harvest Moon or Super Smash Bros, than I ever did with the likes of Forza or DOA, Halo... etc.

Does that make me a "Hardcore Gamecube gamer"? Or a fool?

Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Funkyhamster

i would say not, in my opinion the xbox and the ps2 were more focused to hardcore gamers. and if you ask me the GC was more focused around the casual group of gamers with more casual games.cookoo4cocopuff

Eh, the PS2 definitely had the biggest amount of casual appeal last gen. Although it had a lot of hardcore appeal too... I'd say that the PS2 and Gamecube were about equal in hardcoreness vs. casualness (with the PS2 just having a bigger library), and that the Xbox was slightly skewed towards the hardcore crowd (although Halo's catching on with the casual crowd changed this a lot).