I know this is few a years late but is 8.9 a good score for SSB:melee?

cobrax80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

User Lists: 0

#1 cobrax80
Member since 2003 • 4658 Posts
That score seems to low with a game that was so fun with so much content and replay value, is 8.9 too low?
KingKoop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 KingKoop
Member since 2005 • 4268 Posts

Yeah but not by much it should be a 9.3 - 9.4 maybe, the character list is the only one thing that spoils it. Mr. Game & Watch, Ice Climbers, Ness and Jigglypuff all suck (I just mentioned the one's getting chucked for Brawl I think?)

While we're on the topic of SSBM, what do the stars under the character mean? (In the Character selection screen?)

sumo1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 sumo1973
Member since 2005 • 1195 Posts

Well according to Gamespot anything from 8.0 - 8.9 is GREAT

SSBM is a great game and I think 8.9 is a fair enough score. It's not too low and anyway that was just one persons view of the game. How much enjoyment you get from it, how much time you put into that game depends on you. Does it really matter about the score that one person gave when you already have such a high opinion about it?

If 8.9 isn't a good score then I don't know what is.

KingKoop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 KingKoop

If 8.9 isn't a good score then I don't know what is.

sumo1973

EndlessGame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 EndlessGame
Member since 2006 • 912 Posts

Yeah but not by much it should be a 9.3 - 9.4 maybe, the character list is the only one thing that spoils it. Mr. Game & Watch, Ice Climbers, Ness and Jigglypuff all suck (I just mentioned the one's getting chucked for Brawl I think?)

While we're on the topic of SSBM, what do the stars under the character mean? (In the Character selection screen?)

KingKoop

As far as I know, the stars show your total KO's this gaming session.

SSBM still scored higher than TP with 8.9. :lol:   But yeah...I think it should have gotten maybe a 9.1-9.3, if only to make it AAA.

Oekelion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 Oekelion
Member since 2006 • 109 Posts
I'm sure Twilight Princess should have gotten a higher score as well.
sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts
Ice climbers dont suck, they just take time to master, and when you do you get called an overpowered w"@re.
cougar65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 cougar65
Member since 2003 • 1035 Posts

KingKoop

Wow, I can see you know nothing about the game. Jigglypuff is incredibly good if you know what your doing 

KingKoop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 KingKoop
[QUOTE="KingKoop"]

cougar65

Wow, I can see you know nothing about the game. Jigglypuff is incredibly good if you know what your doing 

And you do because it's in your "always playing"??

I know what I'm doing alright, and I know Jigglypuff has some worthy attacks like sing for example, but he's just plain crap and pointless in the game, why do we need 4 pokemon in one game? There's no need for Pichu (a clone) and Jigglypuff (just gay Mewtwo and Pika would of sufficed and they could of put somebody more worth while in like Boo or Shy Guy or Koopa or hell even Petey Piranha.

Ahh that's better......

Avatar image for ChinoJamesKeene
ChinoJamesKeene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ChinoJamesKeene
Member since 2003 • 1201 Posts
It doesn't deserve a 10, that is for sure.
Mop_it_up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Mop_it_up
Member since 2005 • 2412 Posts

Words words words

Opinions opinions opinions 

Hinata237

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 Hinata237
Member since 2006 • 9416 Posts

Mr. Game & Watch sucks

KingKoop

Aw man dude, no he dosen't. He PWN3S everyone.
finalfan789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 finalfan789
Member since 2006 • 6514 Posts
LoZ TP and SSBM both deserved at least 9.5's
luke1889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 luke1889
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts

8.9 is totally respectable. But Melee was AAA for me. But hey, there's not really any significant difference between 8.9 and 9.0.  :P

Avatar image for Viewtiful_Joker
Viewtiful_Joker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 Viewtiful_Joker
Member since 2004 • 670 Posts
[QUOTE="cougar65"][QUOTE="KingKoop"]

KingKoop

And you do because it's in your "always playing"??

I know what I'm doing alright, and I know Jigglypuff has some worthy attacks like sing for example, but he's just plain crap and pointless in the game, why do we need 4 pokemon in one game? There's no need for Pichu (a clone) and Jigglypuff (just gay Mewtwo and Pika would of sufficed and they could of put somebody more worth while in like Boo or Shy Guy or Koopa or hell even Petey Piranha.

Ahh that's better......

Someone doesn't know about Rest. 

marinerfan182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 marinerfan182
Member since 2005 • 497 Posts
Ice-climbers doesn't suck. I can demolish my friends 3 on 1 with ice- climbers.
etai79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 etai79
Member since 2005 • 156 Posts

Wow okay, someone said Jigglypuff's sing was good.  Noob.

Anyway, considering the amount of people who love this game, it's longevity, popularity, and technical refinement, 8.9 is an inaccurate recommendation for this game.  We all have to remember that the point of a review is to accurately diagnose a game in order to HELP THE CONSUMER.  And an 8.9 might let this one slip through some otherwise deserving hands. 

dirktu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#18 dirktu
Member since 2005 • 717 Posts
Well, 8.9 is a really good score (using the American system that would already have been an A+). IMO it could even be a little lower (but not much lower though), because SSB really relies on multiplayer. If your friends aren't into SSB or gaming at all, the game really has a lot less to offer.
sicteliko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 sicteliko
Member since 2005 • 479 Posts

Well, 8.9 is a really good score (using the American system that would already have been an A+). IMO it could even be a little lower (but not much lower though), because SSB really relies on multiplayer. If your friends aren't into SSB or gaming at all, the game really has a lot less to offer.dirktu

The single player mode is also very good. There's the regular mode, which is very short. But the adventure mode is pretty
cool, I still play it now and then. 

Oekelion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#21 Oekelion
Member since 2006 • 109 Posts

KingKoop

Sure, they all suck. My least favorite is probably Ness, because he is a little kid and only appears in a game that is incredibly rare and stupid.

My 150th post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Suyomizzle_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#22 Suyomizzle_
Member since 2005 • 1317 Posts
[QUOTE="KingKoop"]

cougar65

Look, you're wrong.

SSBM isn't technical, at all.  All those characters suck, enough said, you can pour X amount of hours into them and be passable, but the same person could put the same time into a character that didn't blow so much and be 100x better. 

mario161

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mario161
Member since 2007 • 2426 Posts

None of the characters suck in the game it is the player who suck. You could be your best character and pick the character for me and I'll kick your @$$. 8.9 is a bad score. Frigen Tony Hawk and Soul Calibar got 10. I don't listen to gamespot anymore anyways.

jacky531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 jacky531
Member since 2007 • 1121 Posts
It should have got well over a 9. I'd say it should of got 9.5.
Sprigain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#27 Sprigain
Member since 2006 • 3575 Posts
[QUOTE="luke1889"]

8.9 is totally respectable. But Melee was AAA for me. But hey, there's not really any significant difference between 8.9 and 9.0. :P

Lightchaos

agreed. :)

i also agreeÂ