z827

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

User Lists: 0

#1 z827
Member since 2008 • 4731 Posts

Haven't been posting in here for like forever and since I noticed that there are piles of debate threads scattered all over the first page of the board , thought I'll start something up myself :3

Well , as many of you ought to know by now , Final Fantasy was all about miniature characters , unusually large sized enemies , castles , crystals , saving the world , nutters who want to destroy the world and even more castles....Up till Final Fantasy VI anyway.
From VII onwards , things start to go...say , "Sci-Fi" , though retaining it's supernatural settings to a certain extent ( Where did all the Crystals go? )
So do you prefer Final Fantasy to be in the olden days or in it's Sci-Fi setting as it had been for some of it's series?
Or should it be a mixture of both contents?

magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 magitekk
Member since 2009 • 3959 Posts
I like primarily the medieval feel, but putting some sci-fi in the mix isn't bad either. Sometimes it makes a game better.
valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 valereth-1
Member since 2009 • 9249 Posts

It is supposed to be medieval. It is called Final Fantasy. Not Final Sci Fi

/thread

Fantasy_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Fantasy_Gamer
Member since 2004 • 14159 Posts
Any would do. both would fit-in in the word "fantasy". As long as it would involve impossibilities, improbabilities, and other unbelievables like creatures, magic and others.
valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 valereth-1
Any would do. both would fit-in in the word "fantasy". As long as it would involve impossibilities, improbabilities, and other unbelievables like creatures, magic and others.Fantasy_Gamer
Magic is...pretty much...the opposite of science,...or science fiction
z827

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 z827

Mmm...Then again , Final Fantasy was far from being the Final game from Square Soft the moment it came out XD

Anyways , different people have various perception of Fantasy I suppose.

Fantasy_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Fantasy_Gamer
Member since 2004 • 14159 Posts

closing our mind that fantasy must always involve magic is... never mind. Another of those topics that lead to never-ending arguments.

I will love Final Fantasy for as long as it will keep its core elements. .. Of course, I will always like one game better over the other. That's just a basic truth.. That we have our own opinion, taste and preference.

Poltergeist86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Poltergeist86
Member since 2003 • 1888 Posts
I don't mind any setting as long as it feels unreal :lol:
z827

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 z827

closing our mind that fantasy must always involve magic is... never mind. Another of those topics that lead to never-ending arguments.

I will love Final Fantasy for as long as it will keep its core elements. .. Of course, I will always like one game better over the other. That's just a basic truth.. That we have our own opinion, taste and preference.

Fantasy_Gamer
Hahah...Don't tell me the enthusiastic members you were talking about sometime ago is that enthusiastic to form an never-ending loop of Hell in arguments :X
I don't mind any setting as long as it feels unreal :lol:Poltergeist86
Mmm...Personally , I think FF should at least be in a modern setting for at least once...something like Persona y'know , still unreal but in a modern setting.
valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 valereth-1

From the very first trailer of Final Fantasy XIII onward, I was going "What the hell?" It never looked like a Final Fantasy game. IT looked like a Phantasy Star game. If I want a Phantasy Star game I WILL PLAY FREAKING PHANTASY STAR

[QUOTE="Fantasy_Gamer"]

z827
Hahah...Don't tell me the enthusiastic members you were talking about sometime ago is that enthusiastic to form an never-ending loop of Hell in arguments :X
I don't mind any setting as long as it feels unreal :lol:Poltergeist86
Mmm...Personally , I think FF should at least be in a modern setting for at least once...something like Persona y'know , still unreal but in a modern setting.

They pretty much did that for Final Fantasy VIII, and it SUCKED

NeoGen85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 NeoGen85
Member since 2003 • 4270 Posts
Phantasy Star. ROFL
dbz987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

User Lists: 1

#12 dbz987
Member since 2006 • 3765 Posts

anything  they put their mind to

hell final fantasy could be platformer or FPS

valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 valereth-1

anything  they put their mind to

hell final fantasy could be platformer or FPS

dbz987
They once tried to venture into the shooter genre, and it turned out miserably. What they should have done is written the story and designed how it would all play out and then given the game to a western developer that is good at shooters (Raven, Treyarch, ID Software, Monolith, ect) and gone "You make the gameplay." That might have worked.
valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 valereth-1
Phantasy Star. ROFLNeoGen85
What's wrong with Phantasy Star? It is an excellent series. It is not as good as it was in the 16 bit era, but it is still a good series
magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 magitekk
According to you, everything was better in the 16-bit era -.-
valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 valereth-1
According to you, everything was better in the 16-bit era -.-magitekk
Nah. That isn't true. Have you played the Genesis Phantasy Star games, though?
magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 magitekk

I've never even played Phantasy Star....'cept this demo on psn, I think it was Phantasy Star 2 or something. But it was cool.

valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 valereth-1

I've never even played Phantasy Star....'cept this demo on psn, I think it was Phantasy Star 2 or something. But it was cool.

magitekk
If it was on the PSN, it was not Phantasy Star II. Phantasy Star II was released in 1989 on the Genesis
magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 magitekk
[QUOTE="magitekk"]

valereth-1

If it was on the PSN, it was not Phantasy Star II. Phantasy Star II was released in 1989 on the Genesis

Ah, nevermind, the thing on PSN was Phantasy Star Portable II. I guess it's not a remake...

Well, you know that a lot of old games get released on PSN. I mean, I just bought a bunch of 2-D Castlevania games.

valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 valereth-1
[QUOTE="valereth-1"][QUOTE="magitekk"]

magitekk

Ah, nevermind, the thing on PSN was Phantasy Star Portable II. I guess it's not a remake...

Well, you know that a lot of old games get released on PSN. I mean, I just bought a bunch of 2-D Castlevania games.

No. It is not a remake. It is a new entry in the series. The originals were turn based with random battles, as most RPGs at that time were due to system limitations
Avatar image for Fenian_lostsoul
Fenian_lostsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#21 Fenian_lostsoul
Member since 2005 • 5500 Posts
If FFXII has shown us anything is that it can be both sci-fi and medieval and good at both.
valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 valereth-1
If FFXII has shown us anything is that it can be both sci-fi and medieval and good at both.Fenian_lostsoul
Final Fantasy XII was, honestly, no more sci fi than something like 6 or 9. 6 and 9 are prime examples of everything the series was ever meant to be. Overall, the world of Final Fantasy XII is a medieval, but it has science fiction elements. I have no problem with this. I never did. Even Final Fantasy I had science fiction elements. The hardest fight in that game was against a bi pedal robot. I think it was called War Machine, but do not quote me on that.
magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 magitekk
As far as I know, just about every FF in the main series has had some type of sci-fi in it, even FFII. It had that Dreadnaught thing.
tekken220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 tekken220
Member since 2008 • 5105 Posts

I prefer the medieval theme, which is why I was like "wait, is this really a FF game" after putting a few hours to FFXIII.

Putting a few sci-fi elements to the medieval theme would be nice though :)

valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 valereth-1
As far as I know, just about every FF in the main series has had some type of sci-fi in it, even FFII. It had that Dreadnaught thing.magitekk
There is a difference, though, between having sci fi elements (I-VI, IX, Tactics, XII) and BEING sci fi (VII, VIII, XIII)
valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 valereth-1

I prefer the medieval theme, which is why I was like "wait, is this really a FF game" after putting a few hours to FFXIII.

tekken220

I did the exact same thing from the first time I SAW the game. I went "Wait...how the hell is this Final Fantasy? It does not look like Final Fantasy."

siberian142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 siberian142
Member since 2007 • 7774 Posts
Definitely medieval. I have never liked sci-fi all that much and, while a few elements of sci-fi fits comfortably into a Final Fantasy game, it feels a lot more foreign when they take it as far as they did with FFXIII. That's one of the main reasons that I did not get that into FFXIII...I felt that they abandoned the previous feel of the games.
valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 valereth-1
Definitely medieval. I have never liked sci-fi all that much and, while a few elements of sci-fi fits comfortably into a Final Fantasy game, it feels a lot more foreign when they take it as far as they did with FFXIII. That's one of the main reasons that I did not get that into FFXIII...I felt that they abandoned the previous feel of the games.siberian142
I thought they went too sci fi with 7, 8 and 10. Final Fantasy XIII never even looked like a Final Fantasy game to me
mr_bri9htside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#29 mr_bri9htside
Member since 2005 • 1948 Posts
I liked everything in X. I think it was a good balance of both, although I think it had a touch more medieval in it, and more so modern-tribal if you know what i mean, than medieval. Unless we have two different understandings of the word 'Medieval'.
valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 valereth-1
I liked everything in X. I think it was a good balance of both, although I think it had a touch more medieval in it, and more so modern-tribal if you know what i mean, than medieval. Unless we have two different understandings of the word 'Medieval'.mr_bri9htside
fFX has no medieval in it. At all.
magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 magitekk

FFX's setting always came off to me as a mythical kind of utopia-ish...thingamahjig.

Though I haven't played the game, when my cousin did and I watched him I don't think I saw a single castle, knight, or anything of the like.

valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 valereth-1
There were people riding chocobos into battle, but it was not like in Final Fantasy XII where they were knights. there were no knights, castles or princesses. There were no kings or queens. There was nothing medieval about it's setting
SuperfastSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#33 SuperfastSonic
Member since 2008 • 12114 Posts
Actually, I like both the fantasy and sci-fi atmospheres of the games. FFIV is a good example.
valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 valereth-1
FFIV is a prime example if Final Fantasy being fantasy and not sci fi.
magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 magitekk

FFIV is a prime example if Final Fantasy being fantasy and not sci fi.valereth-1

Yes, FFIV was very fantastic; but I recall mentioning the Tower of Babil, the Giant of Babil, and the Lunar Whale. All very anti-fantasy, sci-fi places that were very out of place.

valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 valereth-1

Given the history of Final Fantasy, it was not out of place. It has always had some science fiction elements. Those 3 things are no where near enough to earn it a science fiction label. It is fantasy through and through

The Giant of Babil is veyr fantasy, though. I mean giant stone structure coming to life? Never heard that  before

Yonathin3155

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Yonathin3155
Member since 2009 • 1265 Posts
Medieval =/= fantasy. Just sayin'.
SuperfastSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SuperfastSonic
And Final Fantasy 1 was prehistoric. From what I saw you battle dinosaurs!
Avatar image for A_Fading_Scream
A_Fading_Scream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 A_Fading_Scream
Member since 2006 • 332 Posts
magic or magick is sci-fi, though too many sci-fi elements can get a bit much if you dont do it right...FFVII ws amazing, the best game iv ever played, they did it rite, FFXIII is wrong...
magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 magitekk

magic or magick is sci-fi, though too many sci-fi elements can get a bit much if you dont do it right...FFVII ws amazing, the best game iv ever played, they did it rite, FFXIII is wrong...A_Fading_Scream

I lol'd, because people who love FFVII tend to love FFXIII also. Afterall, Cacoon = Midgar on so many f***in' levels.

valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 valereth-1

Medieval =/= fantasy. Just sayin'.Yonathin3155
IT is part of it, though

And Final Fantasy 1 was prehistoric. From what I saw you battle dinosaurs!SuperfastSonic
No it isn't. It is medievil. It is fantasy. There is a war mech, though.

Oh. You could fight FFVI as well

white_devil65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42 white_devil65
Member since 2004 • 229 Posts
i would like abit of both really however VIII seemed to have a mix of both worlds at one point of the game, after the time compression to go to ultemicia's castle, the time frame itself made it sci-fi, but the setting as a whole was definatly medieval
SuperfastSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SuperfastSonic

[QUOTE="SuperfastSonic"]And Final Fantasy 1 was prehistoric. From what I saw you battle dinosaurs!valereth-1

What I meant to say was you fight dinosaur-like creatures so it's kinda Prehistoric.

valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 valereth-1
[QUOTE="valereth-1"]

[QUOTE="SuperfastSonic"]And Final Fantasy 1 was prehistoric. From what I saw you battle dinosaurs!SuperfastSonic

What I meant to say was you fight dinosaur-like creatures so it's kinda Prehistoric.

That does not make it prehistoric. That comes with the fantasy aspect. There si more to fantasy than medieval
Avatar image for Lightning__Evil
Lightning__Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#45 Lightning__Evil
Member since 2010 • 4483 Posts
I personally like science fiction over medieval. Of course I've played more of the newer games so those tend to be sci-fi. If I want medieval fantasy I tend to turn towards Fire Emblem or Golden Sun.
KillamanCarney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 KillamanCarney
Member since 2010 • 46 Posts
I think if they made it into a medieval setting (i.e. castles, villages) with a hint f sci-fi (i.e. weapons, enemies) it would be great, or like a medieval setting with sci-fi enemies. And it would be like ff1-6 (top down, 2-D or 2.5-D) with the ATB system and include the 4 crystals of light.
valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 valereth-1
I think if they made it into a medieval setting (i.e. castles, villages) with a hint f sci-fi (i.e. weapons, enemies) it would be great, or like a medieval setting with sci-fi enemies. And it would be like ff1-6 (top down, 2-D or 2.5-D) with the ATB system and include the 4 crystals of light.KillamanCarney
They have been doing that since Final Fantasy I. FFI, II, III, IV, V, VI, IX and XII are all that way
SCGhost2424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SCGhost2424
Member since 2004 • 2066 Posts
lol u learn something new everyday... ff7 is sci-fi? really? good to know... never even though of it.. ts not midevil either so go figure... and just for the record, i didnt like ff13. me liking 7 doesnt make me blind....
magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 magitekk

lol u learn something new everyday... ff7 is sci-fi? really?

=======

....yeeeeah?

Cpt-Fair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Cpt-Fair
Member since 2009 • 129 Posts

...he should have created a poll...

But anyway i prefer medieval anyday, i just like it more, and not because of the nes and snes ffs, im too young to have played them as a kid...