Should Final Fantasy be realistic or cartoon/anime style?

• 65 results
Avatar image for samanthademeste
samanthademeste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 samanthademeste
Member since 2010 • 1553 Posts
Should Final Fantasy be realistic or cartoon/anime style?
magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 magitekk
Member since 2009 • 3959 Posts

It's more like a mix of the both right now. It takes off of realism because of 3D graphics and then it also takes off of anime because all the dudes look like girls :)

glad to be of assistance.

Yonathin3155

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Yonathin3155
Member since 2009 • 1265 Posts
There should be a "don't care" option. Because as long as it's fun to play, I honestly don't care. I like the cartoon/anime style and the realistic style.
lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

I don't really consider any of the games aside from XIII to look "realistic" actually. the PS2 games and Advent children kinda look like a mix of the two, then XIII goes for a bit more realisim, but even that looks a little anime style.

I personally like the mix the best actually. Advent Children and the the high res cutscenes from X look particularly amazing in my opnion.

valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 valereth-1
Member since 2009 • 9249 Posts
Considering the anime looking characters are always drawn by Tetsuya Nomura, who has no style at all, I think I would prefer a more realistic approach, like that of Final Fantasy XII
cjimrun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 cjimrun
Member since 2011 • 1255 Posts

I don't really consider any of the games aside from XIII to look "realistic" actually. the PS2 games and Advent children kinda look like a mix of the two, then XIII goes for a bit more realisim, but even that looks a little anime style.

I personally like the mix the best actually. Advent Children and the the high res cutscenes from X look particularly amazing in my opnion.

lazyathew

100% agree. They've gotten into a kind of life-like anime cgi style that I think is the best looking stuff out there. AC looks very realistc, but the characters are still anime-based. I'd like to see how far they can go with it.

Avatar image for Lightning__Evil
Lightning__Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#7 Lightning__Evil
Member since 2010 • 4483 Posts
I agree with the life like anime style that they have going and that we are talking about. I just don't want it to stray into cartoony stuff like IX with Zidane's tail. I have nothing against Zidane or IX I just prefer the anime realistic style
Koi-Neon-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#8 Koi-Neon-X
Member since 2009 • 2148 Posts

I believe that either anime or realistic would be okay. I love anime so I think that would be interesting to see.:) I also enjoyed "Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children" (amazing)

Final Fantasy VII Chibi Red XIII

Double_Wide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

#9 Double_Wide
Member since 2006 • 1985 Posts

This is a very good topic:

I say a combination of both. Keep the main series realistic but have a side series of 16-bit games for portables or PSN/XBOX Live downloads.

cjimrun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 cjimrun

This is a very good topic:

I say a combination of both. Keep the main series realistic but have a side series of 16-bit games for portables or PSN/XBOX Live downloads.

Double_Wide

That would be awesome!  I'd love to see sequels to some of the newer main-series titles, but designed like the old 16 bit era games.

magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 magitekk

Now that I think about it, FFTactics was very anime style.

...on another note, what was up with the characters and not having noses? Was it like some weirdo birth defect or something?

lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lazyathew

...on another note, what was up with the characters and not having noses? Was it like some weirdo birth defect or something?

magitekk

I find it funny that you say that, since the character in your avatar doesn't have a nose, lol. But yeah, I find that wierd too, it actually took me a while to really notice though, lol.

cjimrun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 cjimrun
FF is of course Japanese and I've always found that the humour and subject matter were very Eastern. The character designs themselves only really got there in the post 16-bit era thanks to the improved graphics. For me it was Advent Children that really showed what it was that they were going for in terms of look. Say what you will about the rest of AC; looking at life-like anime characters still blows my mind. On the other hand though, every game since has gone for that look and I find the character designs are looking more and more like actual Japanese people. Especially in the Vs XIII trailer. Wouldn't it be interesting to see a "classic-style" game with realistic looking characters? I mean like Black Mage, Ninja, Dragoon, etc... but with todays cgi possibilities. THAT would be something to see.
Yonathin3155

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Yonathin3155
Member since 2009 • 1265 Posts
I honestly can't see a classic style Black Mage in any way other than a cartoony art style.
Lightning__Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lightning__Evil
Maybe they could some how incorporate such characters back into the games but would it be the same. The question it seems for style is do you want the game like the originals in terms of gameplay or do you want the characters like that. It seems like they tried to reconnect with characters from older games with Dissidia and it may not be their common style but the game worked well and was alot of fun to play.
magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 magitekk
[QUOTE="magitekk"]

lazyathew

I find it funny that you say that, since the character in your avatar doesn't have a nose, lol. But yeah, I find that wierd too, it actually took me a while to really notice though, lol.

It's there, small, but it's there.

Btw, it's Zidane.

magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 magitekk

On the other hand though, every game since has gone for that look and I find the character designs are looking more and more like actual Japanese people. Especially in the Vs XIII trailer. Wouldn't it be interesting to see a "classic-style" game with realistic looking characters? I mean like Black Mage, Ninja, Dragoon, etc... but with todays cgi possibilities. THAT would be something to see.cjimrun

I think they're actually starting to make their characters look an awful lot more western, like Noctis' father. Noctis, on the other hand, looks insanely Japanese.

DreadDLordD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DreadDLordD
Member since 2005 • 2413 Posts

Noctis, on the other hand, looks insanely Japanese.

magitekk

Specifically speaking, insanely alike to Sasuke.
magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 magitekk
[QUOTE="magitekk"]

Noctis, on the other hand, looks insanely Japanese.

DreadDLordD

Specifically speaking, insanely alike to Sasuke.

Yeah, like seriously, what's with that?

DreadDLordD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DreadDLordD
Even more freaky and coincidental is how Noctis' eyes turn crimson during battle.

I sense copyright infringement from SE!
lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lazyathew

It's there, small, but it's there.

Btw, it's Zidane.

magitekk

Really? that's Zidane? lol, looks very different from the Zidane I saw, just the one from Dissidia. Is that what he looks like in the Final Fantasy IX? lol.

Looks awesome though :)

magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 magitekk
Look right now?
lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lazyathew
Look right now?magitekk
Ah, I see, yeah. Did you do that picture?
magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 magitekk

[QUOTE="magitekk"]Look right now?lazyathew

Eeeew, no :?

I drew it, I didn't.....'do' it :cry:

lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lazyathew

[QUOTE="lazyathew"][QUOTE="magitekk"]Look right now?magitekk

Eeeew, no :?

I drew it, I didn't.....'do' it :cry:

... what? :? That's what I meant! What were you...? Whatever... lol
Lightning__Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Lightning__Evil
I get it. He was using do in a literal sense but yes he drew it. He is an awesome artist ;) thumbs up to you and your art magitekk
magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 magitekk

I get it. He was using do in a literal sense but yes he drew it. \Lightning__Evil

Mr./Ms. Lightning__Evil, I like you and all, but this being in my nature, I felt it just had to be done.

*ahem*

No s**t sherlock.

Lightning__Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Lightning__Evil
Yes its Ms. Lightning__Evil. Lightning for FF and Evil for Resident Evil. Probably my two favorite series even if they don't really match will each other.
magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 magitekk

Yes its Ms. Lightning__Evil. Lightning for FF and Evil for Resident Evil. Probably my two favorite series even if they don't really match will each other.Lightning__Evil

I think they have their similarities.

Lightning__Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Lightning__Evil
Maybe very character driven stories but other than that they seem very different especially with the settings and kinds of enemies.
lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lazyathew

I am currently playing through Resident Evil and Final Fantasy XIII right now, lol. A few other games as well, but these are the two I spent most time playing for the last week.

No similarities have really stood out to me though...lol

Lightning__Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Lightning__Evil
O jeez ur gonna get me asking questions. Which RE? Which Console? How do you like it? Sorry, I need to know! lolz ;)
magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 magitekk

O jeez ur gonna get me asking questions. Which RE? Which Console? How do you like it? Sorry, I need to know! lolz ;)Lightning__Evil

Lol, you sure sound like an RE fan.

DreadDLordD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DreadDLordD

[QUOTE="Lightning__Evil"]O jeez ur gonna get me asking questions. Which RE? Which Console? How do you like it? Sorry, I need to know! lolz ;)magitekk

I reckon her part time job probably involves going to secluded third world countries with post-apocalyptic areas full of twisted zombies and doing what girls are badass at. There's some inspiration for you LE.
lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lazyathew

O jeez ur gonna get me asking questions. Which RE? Which Console? How do you like it? Sorry, I need to know! lolz ;)Lightning__Evil
lol.

Right now I am playing through Chris's story on the Wii version of the original Resident Evil. I already beat it on Jill's story. It's pretty fun. I also played Leon's story on Resident Evil 2. So far these are the only RE I've played actually. But once I finish the first 2 I will get 3 off PSN, then probably 4 on Wii, then 5 PS3.

But unfortunately I lost my file on RE2 when my old PS3 broke, so I'll have to play Leon's story again before I play Claire's, oh well.

magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 magitekk
[QUOTE="magitekk"]

[QUOTE="Lightning__Evil"]O jeez ur gonna get me asking questions. Which RE? Which Console? How do you like it? Sorry, I need to know! lolz ;)DreadDLordD

I reckon her part time job probably involves going to secluded third world countries with post-apocalyptic areas full of twisted zombies and doing what girls are badass at. There's some inspiration for you LE.

Or on a darker level, makes a living through WeskurrrrrxLeon fanfiction 

Lightning__Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Lightning__Evil

OMG that drawing is so funny and it fits Leon. I have nothing against him but the girls are the ones whos shoes I wanna go in and kick some zombie butt. I'm not writing a yaoi fanfic for RE, no thank you!

Thats cool Lazyathew! I thought that downloads on the PSN were connected to your profile name so you might be able to get RE2 back but ya that stinks about your saved game. I have every game in the series except the one for the game boy color and the 2 survivor installments. I would definitly suggest that you play RE:zero. It might actually be my favorite out of the early games. The mechanics of switching between the two characters was nice and I love Rebecca. She's inexperienced but is smart and can keep up with her ex-marine counterpart. Plus she looks so kick-a$$ in her leather outfit that you can unlock. I have it for GC and Wii. 

magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 magitekk
Glad you liked it, cause I drew it just for that post xD
Lightning__Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Lightning__Evil
Thanks magitekk! You are good at drawing and seem to be able to do it really quick. I missed the other part about going to post-apocalyptic settings and doing what I do best. I just got contracted for another mission in two weeks. Anyone wanna join me?
magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 magitekk
I've never once played RE, so I can't really follow :/
lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 lazyathew

Thats cool Lazyathew! I thought that downloads on the PSN were connected to your profile name so you might be able to get RE2 back but ya that stinks about your saved game. I have every game in the series except the one for the game boy color and the 2 survivor installments. I would definitly suggest that you play RE:zero. It might actually be my favorite out of the early games. The mechanics of switching between the two characters was nice and I love Rebecca. She's inexperienced but is smart and can keep up with her ex-marine counterpart. Plus she looks so kick-a$$ in her leather outfit that you can unlock. I have it for GC and Wii.

Lightning__Evil

Yeah, I forgot to mention that I do have Zero for the Wii as well. I might play after 3, not sure yet. But I'll definitly play it at some point.

And I just realised I can actually put in disc 2 and play Claire's story without having to play Leon's again, that's cool. And yeah, getting the game back was no problem since it's connected to the profile, but files are not, so they are gone. I just started Claire's story tonight. Beat the first game with Chris yesterday.

Fantasy_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Fantasy_Gamer
Member since 2004 • 14159 Posts
I always liked cartoony character designs.. That's why I love FFVII and FFIX.
DreadDLordD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DreadDLordD
I always liked cartoony character designs.. That's why I love FFVII and FFIX.Fantasy_Gamer

VII was like the reincarnation of Lego Fantasy.
valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44 valereth-1
Member since 2009 • 9249 Posts
[QUOTE="Fantasy_Gamer"]I always liked cartoony character designs.. That's why I love FFVII and FFIX.DreadDLordD

VII was like the reincarnation of Lego Fantasy.

Lego Final Fantasy. That would be....interesting
Fantasy_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Fantasy_Gamer
Member since 2004 • 14159 Posts
I would like to see one..
lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 lazyathew

Lego Final Fantasy would be pretty interesting to see.

Lightning__Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Lightning__Evil
It would be interesting but I don't like how lego tries to copy everything now. When I was little they had a lego amusment park thing where you were the manager, some spy type game with its own story and plot, and lego town I think it was called. All original lego games that I liked and now all they do is copy other stuff.
magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 magitekk

It would be interesting but I don't like how lego tries to copy everything now. When I was little they had a lego amusment park thing where you were the manager, some spy type game with its own story and plot, and lego town I think it was called. All original lego games that I liked and now all they do is copy other stuff.Lightning__Evil

Yeah, I getcha. But legos is huge, maybe the companies that produced stuff like starwars and whatever the heck else legos has done payed to have those things lego-fied.

DreadDLordD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DreadDLordD

I doubt there will be any collateral between Lego/SE but you must admit that the graphical style of VII was very lego-likey. That time playing the game I thought they would release Lego figure made versions of the characters lol! 

cjimrun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 cjimrun

http://ui19.gamespot.com/2610/picture004_2.jpg

http://ui31.gamespot.com/2494/brilordplains12_2.jpg

http://ui07.gamespot.com/262/picture002_2.jpg