NeoGen85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 NeoGen85
Member since 2003 • 4270 Posts

Gamespot finally reviewed Final Fantasy XIII which just made my Friday. I'm definitely looking forward to this game. Of course we'll have our own reviews available to read. It's been awhile since the last Final Fantasy game released, plus we have multiple officers with different opinions on roleplaying games. Look forward to their first impressions and final answers. And we would like to read what you think about Final Fantasy XIII next week on our message boards. ::victory fanfare:: :D

siberian142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 siberian142
Member since 2007 • 7774 Posts
Kind of worried about the limitations on exploration..Exploration is a big plus for me and it's been absent since FFIX. If the game is captivating though I can always forgive limitation like these. And I am surprised that GS included Vanille in the Bad part of the review.
magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 magitekk
Member since 2009 • 3959 Posts
8.5, wow, not all that great. Guess that means it's more at the level of the really early FFs, I honestly expected it to get a score like the one gameinformer gave it (9.25, wasn't it?)
NeoGen85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NeoGen85

Kind of worried about the limitations on exploration..Exploration is a big plus for me and it's been absent since FFIX. If the game is captivating though I can always forgive limitation like these. And I am surprised that GS included Vanille in the Bad part of the review.siberian142

To be honest I can't stand Vanille at all; she's got typical Japanese-happy-anime-girl written all over her face. Ok, I might be nitpicking... xD

siberian142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 siberian142

[QUOTE="siberian142"]Kind of worried about the limitations on exploration..Exploration is a big plus for me and it's been absent since FFIX. If the game is captivating though I can always forgive limitation like these. And I am surprised that GS included Vanille in the Bad part of the review.NeoGen85

To be honest I can't stand Vanille at all; she's got typical Japanese-happy-anime-girl written all over her face. Ok, I might be nitpicking... xD

I haven't seen her in action yet, but if a reviewer goes out of their way to call her out then I am sure I'll be wanting to kill her before the game is over:P. Oh well, just one more to add to the incredibly annoying Final Fantasy character list, which Square seems to insist on adding in every game>.
valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 valereth-1
Member since 2009 • 9249 Posts

Kind of worried about the limitations on exploration..Exploration is a big plus for me and it's been absent since FFIX. If the game is captivating though I can always forgive limitation like these. And I am surprised that GS included Vanille in the Bad part of the review.siberian142
It was very VERY not absent in Final Fantasy XII

It worries me too, though. It worries me a lot. The lack of exploration in FFX bugged the crap out of me. I hated that about the game

valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 valereth-1
[QUOTE="NeoGen85"]

[QUOTE="siberian142"]Kind of worried about the limitations on exploration..Exploration is a big plus for me and it's been absent since FFIX. If the game is captivating though I can always forgive limitation like these. And I am surprised that GS included Vanille in the Bad part of the review.siberian142

I haven't seen her in action yet, but if a reviewer goes out of their way to call her out then I am sure I'll be wanting to kill her before the game is over:P. Oh well, just one more to add to the incredibly annoying Final Fantasy character list, which Square seems to insist on adding in every game>.

Why can't Square make an annoying character free game? Why does everything they do have to have at least one nerve grating character?
magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 magitekk
[QUOTE="siberian142"][QUOTE="NeoGen85"]

[QUOTE="siberian142"]Kind of worried about the limitations on exploration..Exploration is a big plus for me and it's been absent since FFIX. If the game is captivating though I can always forgive limitation like these. And I am surprised that GS included Vanille in the Bad part of the review.valereth-1

Why can't Square make an annoying character free game? Why does everything they do have to have at least one nerve grating character?

Because that/those annoying character/s appeal to some people, like female gamers. I personally don't like those bubbly characters, but that doesn't mean nobody else does.

valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 valereth-1
[QUOTE="valereth-1"][QUOTE="siberian142"][QUOTE="NeoGen85"]

[QUOTE="siberian142"]Kind of worried about the limitations on exploration..Exploration is a big plus for me and it's been absent since FFIX. If the game is captivating though I can always forgive limitation like these. And I am surprised that GS included Vanille in the Bad part of the review.magitekk

Because that/those annoying character/s appeal to some people, like female gamers. I personally don't like those bubbly characters, but that doesn't mean nobody else does.

I do not see how such characters could appeal to anyone
NeoGen85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NeoGen85

Here's the thing. I was mostly worried about the script more then anything. The linear design doesn't appeal to me much; I think Final Fantasy X was more open-ended then this recent installment.  I finally listened to the OST about 4 times from beginning to end; and my final conclusion is "AWESOME". Too bad Hazamau left Square Enix too. This soundtrack isn't a A+, but an S+! There's one particular boss battle(I won't say) in Final Fantasy XIII which is hard as hell(for me anyway), and this song plays to it. I think Sazh has the best character theme too.

I'm going to review this game. I think I've been know to be very critical, but we'll find out.

valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 valereth-1

Here's the thing. I was mostly worried about the script more then anything. The linear design doesn't appeal to me much; I think Final Fantasy X was more open-ended then this recent installment.  I finally listened to the OST about 4 times from beginning to end; and my final conclusion is "AWESOME". Too bad Hazamau left Square Enix too. This soundtrack isn't a A+, but an S+! There's one particular boss battle(I won't say) in Final Fantasy XIII which is hard as hell(for me anyway), and this song plays to it. I think Sazh has the best character theme too.

I'm going to review this game. I think I've been know to be very critical, but we'll find out.

NeoGen85

You see Gametrailers review? They gave the story for this game a 7.9, noting that the dialog is bad. Should have gotten back the team from FFXII. They knew how to write dialog.

siberian142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 siberian142
[QUOTE="magitekk"][QUOTE="valereth-1"][QUOTE="siberian142"][QUOTE="NeoGen85"]

[QUOTE="siberian142"]Kind of worried about the limitations on exploration..Exploration is a big plus for me and it's been absent since FFIX. If the game is captivating though I can always forgive limitation like these. And I am surprised that GS included Vanille in the Bad part of the review.valereth-1

Those characters might have a significantly lower fanbase but not everyone hates them. I was hoping that Square would base more of these types of characters of off Rikku(FFX not X-2). She was the bubbly character of the game, but her voice / actions / etc were much more tolerable then those before her(Selphie :evil: ).
hards80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#13 hards80
Member since 2005 • 318 Posts

if the storyline is engaging and the battle system is fun, i am sure i will enjoy ffxiii quite a bit.

i just still cannot believe we haven't had a true world map to explore in 10 years!! (ffix)

valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 valereth-1
[QUOTE="valereth-1"][QUOTE="magitekk"][QUOTE="valereth-1"][QUOTE="siberian142"][QUOTE="NeoGen85"]

[QUOTE="siberian142"]Kind of worried about the limitations on exploration..Exploration is a big plus for me and it's been absent since FFIX. If the game is captivating though I can always forgive limitation like these. And I am surprised that GS included Vanille in the Bad part of the review.siberian142

Those characters might have a significantly lower fanbase but not everyone hates them. I was hoping that Square would base more of these types of characters of off Rikku(FFX not X-2). She was the bubbly character of the game, but her voice / actions / etc were much more tolerable then those before her(Selphie :evil: ).

I hated Rikku and wanted someone to duct tape her mouth shut
valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 valereth-1

if the storyline is engaging and the battle system is fun, i am sure i will enjoy ffxiii quite a bit.

i just still cannot believe we haven't had a true world map to explore in 10 years!! (ffix)

hards80

If anything, I would say that games like Final Fantasy XII, Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout 3 show that we have evolved beyond hte need for world maps

siberian142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 siberian142
[QUOTE="siberian142"][QUOTE="valereth-1"][QUOTE="magitekk"][QUOTE="valereth-1"][QUOTE="siberian142"][QUOTE="NeoGen85"]

Really? I didn't mind her in FFX..FFX-2 is a whole different story though:P.
Yonathin3155

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Yonathin3155
Member since 2009 • 1265 Posts

8.5, wow, not all that great. Guess that means it's more at the level of the really early FFs, I honestly expected it to get a score like the one gameinformer gave it (9.25, wasn't it?)
magitekk

There's nothing at all wrong with 8.5. Why do you make it seem like 8.5 is such a horrible score?

As long as the game isn't 70% cutscenes, I'll be fine. I want more gameplay than scenes. I hate it when a game stops the action in the middle of the action to tell the story.

valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 valereth-1
[QUOTE="valereth-1"][QUOTE="siberian142"][QUOTE="valereth-1"][QUOTE="magitekk"][QUOTE="valereth-1"][QUOTE="siberian142"][QUOTE="NeoGen85"]

Really? I didn't mind her in FFX..FFX-2 is a whole different story though:P.

In X-2, they made Yuna a Rikku clone and I hated that too. I also hated Brother...and the soundtrack...and hte fact that it took 15 hours for the story to even start...and the dialog...and the incredible cheese factor in the cut scenes
valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 valereth-1

[QUOTE="magitekk"]8.5, wow, not all that great. Guess that means it's more at the level of the really early FFs, I honestly expected it to get a score like the one gameinformer gave it (9.25, wasn't it?)
Yonathin3155

There's nothing at all wrong with 8.5. Why do you make it seem like 8.5 is such a horrible score?

As long as the game isn't 70% cutscenes, I'll be fine. I want more gameplay than scenes. I hate it when a game stops the action in the middle of the action to tell the story.

It is low for a numbered Final Fantasy. It is not, however, a low score. Rabid FF fanboys just cannot take the idea that FFXIII doesn't get a 9 or better
magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 magitekk

[QUOTE="magitekk"]8.5, wow, not all that great. Guess that means it's more at the level of the really early FFs, I honestly expected it to get a score like the one gameinformer gave it (9.25, wasn't it?)
Yonathin3155

It's low because everyone expected this to be the greatest Final Fantasy to date. Many people were under the impression that it would get a 9.5 or so. Heck, Famitsu or whatever it's called gave it 39 out of 40, right? I mean, I thought that was stupid, but I'd figure our score would be pretty good.

Yonathin3155

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Yonathin3155
[QUOTE="Yonathin3155"]

magitekk

It's low because everyone expected this to be the greatest Final Fantasy to date. Many people were under the impression that it would get a 9.5 or so. Heck, Famitsu or whatever it's called gave it 39 out of 40, right? I mean, I thought that was stupid, but I'd figure our score would be pretty good.

In my opinion, no Final Fantasy will ever be better than Final Fantasy IV.

Fantasy_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 Fantasy_Gamer
Member since 2004 • 14159 Posts

I'm not really bothered with the linear, storybook kind of exploration. What bothers me is the fact that Odin transforms into Sleipnir! That's just pure craziness. Anyway, I'm not at all worried about it not getting "Editor's Choice". FFXIII has lost all its hype on me due to very long time of waiting. Nevertheless, I'm gonna get it 'coz I want to know where my beloved series is has gone.

Btw, I think I've seen almost all character designs in the past FFs/other games, except for Snow... But i'm not yet judging Nomura's character design 'coz who knows if there are uniquely designed characters in the game... 

Yonathin3155

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Yonathin3155

I'm not really bothered with the linear, storybook kind of exploration. What bothers me is the fact that Odin transforms into Sleipnir! That's just pure craziness. Anyway, I'm not at all worried about it not getting "Editor's Choice". FFXIII has lost all its hype on me due to very long time of waiting. Nevertheless, I'm gonna get it 'coz I want to know where my beloved series is has gone.

Btw, I think I've seen almost all character designs in the past FFs/other games, except for Snow... But i'm not yet judging Nomura's character design 'coz who knows if there are uniquely designed characters in the game... 

Fantasy_Gamer

I hate that, and the fact that Bahamut has a humanoid appearance.

GymFox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GymFox
Member since 2009 • 709 Posts

I personally think that it's score isn't bad at all. All the hype brings up hopes way high. 8.5-9.0 is plenty good for me. As long as the battling is really fun (and really hard- IMO one of the best part about FF games), and has a decent story I will be way satisfied. I haven't played it at all, but it seems like it will do the job. 

Bioshockraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#25 Bioshockraptor
Member since 2008 • 21483 Posts

8.5, wow, not all that great.magitekk

Ironically, it's exactly great. Check the review score "8.5 Great."

Flipyap28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26 Flipyap28
Member since 2008 • 3865 Posts

I have a feeling this will be my worst FF to date...since II. The fact that it got an 8.5, it is apperently linear and one of the best things about it is the graphics worries me. Seems to me, it will be a film-game, with a good story... Im having doubts about the plot aswell, all characters look... terrible and annoying... and Vannile, omg I want her dead.

Still...what can I say, I haven't played it. I've got to stop being negative, its just hard to be when the trailers have given me bad impressions.

dbz987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

User Lists: 1

#27 dbz987
Member since 2006 • 3765 Posts
1 more day... I can't wait:D
valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 valereth-1
[QUOTE="magitekk"][QUOTE="Yonathin3155"]

Yonathin3155

Amazing game and one of the best ,but I, myself, prefer VI
Yonathin3155

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Yonathin3155
[QUOTE="Yonathin3155"][QUOTE="magitekk"][QUOTE="Yonathin3155"]

valereth-1

VI is my third favorite, after V. It's actually a really close call with the three SNES FFs. In my opinion, Square Enix should go back to the SNES styl.e of games. They were by far the best the series has to offer.

Cpt-Fair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Cpt-Fair
Member since 2009 • 129 Posts
[QUOTE="valereth-1"][QUOTE="Yonathin3155"][QUOTE="magitekk"][QUOTE="Yonathin3155"]

Yonathin3155

VI is my third favorite, after V. It's actually a really close call with the three SNES FFs. In my opinion, Square Enix should go back to the SNES styl.e of games. They were by far the best the series has to offer.

Final fantasy V and IV were by far the worst in the series.

VI was really good, one of the best, theres still something left in your brains.

Are you drunk, person I hate?

magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 magitekk
[QUOTE="valereth-1"][QUOTE="Yonathin3155"][QUOTE="magitekk"][QUOTE="Yonathin3155"]

Yonathin3155

Unfortunately, if that happened, FF wouldn't sell so well...

Yonathin3155

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Yonathin3155
[QUOTE="Yonathin3155"][QUOTE="valereth-1"][QUOTE="Yonathin3155"][QUOTE="magitekk"][QUOTE="Yonathin3155"]

Cpt-Fair

VI was really good, one of the best, theres still something left in your brains.

If you hate FFV, then you hate the best job system in any FF game, and you hate great gameplay. And if you hate FFIV, then there is something wrong with your brain. That is all.

Yonathin3155

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Yonathin3155
[QUOTE="Yonathin3155"][QUOTE="valereth-1"][QUOTE="Yonathin3155"][QUOTE="magitekk"][QUOTE="Yonathin3155"]

magitekk

Unfortunately, if that happened, FF wouldn't sell so well...

Excellent. That means less whiny fanboys.

DrAwesomeMD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DrAwesomeMD
Member since 2007 • 17547 Posts

If you hate FFV, then you hate the best job system in any FF game, and you hate great gameplay. And if you hate FFIV, then there is something wrong with your brain. That is all.

Yonathin3155

Oh snap! :o

On a serious note, I agree with you. FFV never really gelt like level grinding got tedious because the gameplay was so enjoyable. And FFIV easily ranks on my all-time favorite games list.

valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 valereth-1

Yonathin3155

I love IX, XII and Tactics, but I would hacve to agree. FFV is such an underrated game
valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 valereth-1

Cpt-Fair

How the hell could you hate Final Fantasy IV?! It is a MASTERPIECE
magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 magitekk

valereth-1

I love IX, XII and Tactics, but I would hacve to agree. FFV is such an underrated game

FFV is probably an underrated game, I guess, because it had too many similarities to FFIII.

valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 valereth-1
[QUOTE="valereth-1"][QUOTE="Yonathin3155"][QUOTE="valereth-1"][QUOTE="Yonathin3155"][QUOTE="magitekk"][QUOTE="Yonathin3155"]

magitekk

It is a much beteer game than FFIII man

FFV is probably an underrated game, I guess, because it had too many similarities to FFIII.

magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 magitekk
[QUOTE="magitekk"][QUOTE="valereth-1"][QUOTE="Yonathin3155"][QUOTE="valereth-1"][QUOTE="Yonathin3155"][QUOTE="magitekk"][QUOTE="Yonathin3155"]

valereth-1

It is a much beteer game than FFIII man

Yeah, it was better, I guess. But you have to really think about it.  In both games, you were in control of four 'light warriors' who were after elemental crystals from two separate worlds that granted them new jobs. Also, your enemies were both obsessed with "returning everything to the void".

Fantasy_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#40 Fantasy_Gamer
Member since 2004 • 14159 Posts

PLEASE STOP THE OVERUSE OF THE QUOTE BUTTON!!! We consider it as spamming here at FFE.

Please keep this thread on topic. If you want to keep discussing about FFV or FIV, please create a new thread. Thank you. 

valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 valereth-1

Yeah, it was better, I guess. But you have to really think about it.  In both games, you were in control of four 'light warriors' who were after elemental crystals from two separate worlds that granted them new jobs. Also, your enemies were both obsessed with "returning everything to the void".

magitekk
It had a much better ande more in depth story. The characters were a lot better in V as well
magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 magitekk

PLEASE STOP THE OVERUSE OF THE QUOTE BUTTON!!! We consider it as spamming here at FFE.

Please keep this thread on topic. If you want to keep discussing about FFV or FIV, please create a new thread. Thank you. 

Fantasy_Gamer

Oh wow, sorry, I didn't even notice all the quotes xD. Back on topic, so how's that FFXIII goin' for everyone?

GymFox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 GymFox
Member since 2009 • 709 Posts

I give it a 9.0 or 9.5. I really really love it. Can't stop playing it. The battling is simply fantastic, and the landscapes are beautiful 

magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 magitekk
I really like playing it too, but I can only play two hours a day :(
Falcon084

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#45 Falcon084
Member since 2009 • 8778 Posts
3 Days In FFXIII Review "No Spoilers" Here is a Review courtesy of me :) Forgive any spelling mistakes but the checker froze up on me.