kipi19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#1 kipi19
Member since 2005 • 4590 Posts

Bernie Ecclestone has criticised Formula 1’s current points system, arguing that it provides perverse incentives for drivers to settle for second place rather than fight for wins.

The current rules award 10 points to the race winner, eight to the runner-up and six to the third-place finisher, with the top eight all scoring points.

Under the system used from 1991 to 2002, the winner earned 10 points, with six points going to the runner-up and four to the third-place finisher. Only the top six finishers scored points.

The system was changed in 2003 following Michael Schumacher’s runaway victory in the ’02 championship, when he sealed the title at the French Grand Prix in July.

But Ecclestone believes the small differential between first and second places has made the sport less exciting, because drivers are encouraged to play safe rather than risk an overtaking move for the sake of an extra two points.

“With second place getting eight points it is not right that the winner takes only 10,” the F1 supremo told the Mail on Sunday newspaper.

“For 2008 I will propose a change.”

Elaborating on his reasons for backing a switch, Ecclestone said: “There’s not enough motivation for the driver in second place to go for the win.

“They weigh up the situation and decide it’s not worth the risk of falling off the road just for two lousy points.

“They reckon they might get lucky in the pits and sneak ahead that way, but that’s the only way they are prepared to go for the number one spot.

“All I keep hearing is people moaning about the fact that we don’t see an awful lot of overtaking any more in F1.”

Aside from discouraging overtaking, Ecclestone believes the current points system could result in drivers winning the title through consistency rather than speed – and that this runs counter to the spirit of F1.

“To me, it should be all about winning,” he said.

“The driver who wins the most races in the season should be the world champion.

“It’s as simple as that.

“Second places should only come into the reckoning if both drivers win the same amount of races.”

Ecclestone says he will push for a change in the system as soon as next season.

“Well, obviously not this season because the regulations are set, but I’d like to change it maybe for next season,” he said.

“As the president of the F1 Commission, I shall be bringing it up.”

Source: ITV.com/F1

Napster06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 Napster06
Member since 2004 • 5659 Posts
Agreed. Now without Schumacher, they should revert back to the old system. Considering no one will be as successful as Schumacher.
cm_gamer-2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 cm_gamer-2
Member since 2004 • 1768 Posts
I think this should have been done in the first place(with or without Schumacher racing), the points gap between the first and second placed drivers was to small and the you would get calculated driving with not bothering/not  to much to challenge for the win.
fatal1rc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 fatal1rc
Member since 2006 • 38 Posts
I agree, last season Alonso could just be 2nd all the time after his great start.
Avatar image for kimi_da_iceman2
kimi_da_iceman2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 kimi_da_iceman2
Member since 2006 • 1298 Posts
Yeah, I can remember when he said at Europe that he was not even pushing for 1st as 2nd would be good enough, we want RACING!:)
Avatar image for kimi_da_iceman2
kimi_da_iceman2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 kimi_da_iceman2
Member since 2006 • 1298 Posts
Yeah, I can remember when he said at Europe that he was not even pushing for 1st as 2nd would be good enough, we want RACING!:)