mjk1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mjk1
Member since 2003 • 10309 Posts

Bernie Ecclestone has warned the Melbourne authorities that the city's Formula One race is under threat unless the event becomes a night race.

In an interview with the Sunday Herald Sun newspaper, Ecclestone reiterated his belief that the Australian Grand Prix should be held at a more accessible time for European audiences, and said that the night race issue was critical to contract talks.

Melbourne's current deal to host the Australian GP expires after 2010.

"When the contract comes up, we have to have a look and see exactly what we will be doing with Melbourne," Ecclestone said.

"Unless they can come up with something satisfactory, I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be able to continue there.

"I would like to make sure we can watch (the race) in Europe and other parts of the world at a respectable time rather than having to get up at three or four in the morning.

"(Australian GP boss) Ron (Walker) is not stupid and he knows exactly what is at stake."

A spokesman for Victoria's Tourism Minister Tim Holding said that formal discussions about both the contract extension and the night race issue had not yet commenced.

"We strongly support the race," the spokesman told the Sunday Herald Sun.

"The contract runs until 2010, but we haven't begun negotiating that yet. And a night Grand Prix has never been formally proposed.

"Ultimately the Victorian Government will decide what is best for Melbourne."

AUTOSPORT.COM 

kipi19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#2 kipi19
Member since 2005 • 4590 Posts
it actually didn't bother me that i stayed up for the race at 3am :lol: i really enjoyed it, a night race may have to be on the cards for the really big majority who don't like staying up or getting up for the race.
wombat26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 wombat26
Member since 2005 • 2284 Posts
This actually annoys the crap out of me, as I live in Melbourne. I don't see why Europeans can't stay up or set the tape for a few races a year. Us Australians have to do it for most races.
Khoo1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

#4 Khoo1992
Member since 2005 • 2472 Posts
Why Bernie is forcing ppl to change to night race? doesn't make any sense
wombat26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 wombat26
Member since 2005 • 2284 Posts

Although I disagree with Bernie's proposals, they do make sense. Night races for Grand Prixs that are in the Southern Hemisphere allow for European telecasts during the day, which would surely mean increased numbers in terms of television ratings. This could also bring in more sponsors, which all goes towards increasing the profits for F1. Like I already said though, I still think the proposals are crap.

The_Gabmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 The_Gabmaster
Member since 2007 • 1580 Posts

Although I disagree with Bernie's proposals, they do make sense. Night races for Grand Prixs that are in the Southern Hemisphere allow for European telecasts during the day, which would surely mean increased numbers in terms of television ratings. This could also bring in more sponsors, which all goes towards increasing the profits for F1. Like I already said though, I still think the proposals are crap.

wombat26

When there is money involved, Bernie is always on the scene!

Avatar image for KimisApprentice
KimisApprentice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 KimisApprentice
Member since 2006 • 2425 Posts
Indeed, Im from NZ and the only day race I get is the Melbourne one every other race varies from 7pm to 5am anyone care about the brazilians? the columbians? Australians? New Zealanders etc.... Bernie is being selfish in a way, and at night you lose ticket sales....
cjek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 cjek
Member since 2003 • 14327 Posts
Before making judgements about this proposal, it would help to know the actual times of these 'night races'. When they say night race I'd guess it could start anywhere from 19:00 to about 22:00, and I don't think any of these times would really seem unacceptable for Australians. I doubt that a night race would be in the early hours due to temperature and just a lack of spectators at the track.
Gamer3241

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Gamer3241
Member since 2006 • 256 Posts

I live in the West coast in the U.S. unless it's Brazil, U.S, or Canada I either have to stay up os wake up real early...but If I can do that why not europeans..or wait money I forgot.....

Well the next four F1 races will be shown on Fox(2 live and 2 pre-recorded)so meh

Khoo1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

#10 Khoo1992
Member since 2005 • 2472 Posts
I hate Bernie say this