koopa_shell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#153 koopa_shell
Member since 2008 • 15001 Posts
I've never had banana pudding. But banana bread is one of the greatest things ever invented.
Mr_Jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#154 Mr_Jenkins
Member since 2009 • 14116 Posts

...I just had deja vu.  Have we had this conversation before? D:

Dragon66116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#155 Dragon66116
Member since 2007 • 25536 Posts

...I just had deja vu. Have we had this conversation before? D:

Mr_Jenkins

We've probably had every conversation before.

DrAwesomeMD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 DrAwesomeMD
Member since 2007 • 17547 Posts

But banana bread is one of the greatest things ever invented.koopa_shell

Yesh. 8) 

Courtney817

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 Courtney817
Member since 2009 • 12652 Posts

I like banana bread! :D 

[QUOTE="Mr_Jenkins"]...I just had deja vu. Have we had this conversation before? D:Dragon66116

No. No we have not. I can only recall four intelligent conversations around here, and I'm reasonably certain that there are at least ten such conversations in the universe. :P 

DrAwesomeMD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 DrAwesomeMD

I like banana bread! :D 

[QUOTE="Dragon66116"][QUOTE="Mr_Jenkins"]...I just had deja vu. Have we had this conversation before? D:Courtney817

No. No we have not. I can only recall four intelligent conversations around here, and I'm reasonably certain that there are at least ten such conversations in the universe. :P 

So start an "intelligent" conversation now. :o 

mariostar0001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#159 mariostar0001
Member since 2009 • 46245 Posts
I could start one, but no one likes my intelligent conversations. >_>
DrAwesomeMD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 DrAwesomeMD

I could start one, but no one likes my intelligent conversations. >_>mariostar0001

Try me. :o 

Mr_Jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 Mr_Jenkins

Because they turned into ferocious debates. :P

And what were the 4 intelligent conversations we've had? 

sirracannal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 sirracannal
Member since 2008 • 18309 Posts
French fries! Finally! I can eat stuff other than liquidy things now! ^^
barren_176

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#163 barren_176
Member since 2011 • 1441 Posts
French fries taste amazing.
mariostar0001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 mariostar0001

[QUOTE="mariostar0001"]I could start one, but no one likes my intelligent conversations. >_>DrAwesomeMD

How about we talk about our favorite US president?
DrAwesomeMD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 DrAwesomeMD
[QUOTE="DrAwesomeMD"]

[QUOTE="mariostar0001"]I could start one, but no one likes my intelligent conversations. >_>mariostar0001

Sounds good. Who would your 5 favorite presidents be, mariostar?

Mr_Jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 Mr_Jenkins
FDR is mine. :3
DrAwesomeMD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 DrAwesomeMD

FDR is mine. :3Mr_Jenkins

Same with me. :o 

mariostar0001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 mariostar0001
[QUOTE="mariostar0001"][QUOTE="DrAwesomeMD"]

[QUOTE="mariostar0001"]I could start one, but no one likes my intelligent conversations. >_>DrAwesomeMD

In no order; Ronald Reagan, James Madison, Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, and probably Ulysses Grant (I rather like military presidents and such). And not that you asked for it, but my least favorite would be Truman.
DrAwesomeMD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 DrAwesomeMD
[QUOTE="DrAwesomeMD"][QUOTE="mariostar0001"][QUOTE="DrAwesomeMD"]

[QUOTE="mariostar0001"]I could start one, but no one likes my intelligent conversations. >_>mariostar0001

In no order; Ronald Reagan, James Madison, Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, and probably Ulysses Grant (I rather like military presidents and such). And not that you asked for it, but my least favorite would be Truman.

Grant? Really now. That's unusual. Any reason other than that? Also, why Truman? 

Mr_Jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 Mr_Jenkins

Only one of those on my list would be Thomas Jefferson.  AND NO LINCOLN!!??? WHAT???

DrAwesomeMD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 DrAwesomeMD

Oh, for the point of discussion, my favorites would be:

1. FDR
2. Lincoln
3. JFK
4. Eisenhower or Teddy Roosevelt
5. Reagan 

mariostar0001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 mariostar0001

Only one of those on my list would be Thomas Jefferson.  AND NO LINCOLN!!??? WHAT???

Mr_Jenkins
No Lincoln. A great orator and strategist and all, but a little too consumed with "the union" at the expense of everything else ( his family, his religion, his public relations, his sense of humor, etc.).
[QUOTE="mariostar0001"][QUOTE="DrAwesomeMD"][QUOTE="mariostar0001"][QUOTE="DrAwesomeMD"]

Grant? Really now. That's unusual. Any reason other than that? Also, why Truman? 

Because Truman was, to put it bluntly, completely unfit for the office of president. He only got there because he was "the best of the worst", because everyone (at least, in the party) knew FDR was going to die in office (if he didn't die before the election), and that the VP would be the next president, so they had to choose carefully, and chose him without his knowledge. He was a terrible businessman who couldn't keep a successful business running because of stupid choices (appealing to the lowest market, forgetting that a depression meant less people would wish to pay for expensive clothes), he sold his land off to try and keep his business alive after it was practically dead, he went into politics only due to a lack of anything else he was good at, and he was the first president to get into the White House without any money (a reelection slogan of his for was "reelect me so I have a place to live"). Besides that, the decision to nuke Japan was one of the most poorly thought out decisions in warfare. One nuke, I can understand, it makes people scared and they believe you're a threat. Then he had to nuke again, and the nuke didn't even hit the target (though that can hardly be blamed on him, that would be the military's fault). He had no idea what was going on in foreign relations because FDR would tell him nothing, so he managed to convince Stalin what a friend the US was to Russia merely because FDR said "what an interesting man Stalin was", and was completely unprepared for Russia to declare a communist takeover of the half of Berlin ceded to them. Then he did a lousy job of running the Korean war. MacArthur had the right idea, finish off the Koreans versus just bottling them up. Truman said no, MacArthur made his mistake by publicly insulting Truman, and Truman had him removed (and rightfully so), and replaced him with a guy who agreed with him (not that that's a dumb idea). Then he left office and proceeded to try to help his friend Eisenhower to be president, only to be shocked and horrified when said man decided to run as a Democrat, making Truman decide to hate Eisenhower for the rest of his life (one of only three people Truman claimed he'd never forgive). And as for Grant, I mostly likely him because most of what I've read about him so far is positive, he's actually likely to change once I finally finish reading my lengthly series on American history. :P I'm still in the civil war though, AKA Lincoln's place.
Mr_Jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 Mr_Jenkins

Mine would go:

1. FDR
2. Lincoln
3. Jefferson
4. TR
5. Wilson

Still surprised Lincoln didn't make your top 5 Mariostar.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_rankings_of_Presidents_of_the_United_States

He made every single scholarly survey listed! :o 

mariostar0001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 mariostar0001
I just think he was too single-minded, though I'm not sure how that was possible when he was such a great strategist. Wilson I'm also not too fond of, again for single-mindedness, combined with late-life less then full sanity. Then again, I only have one (very biased) source for that, so for now he's just neutral to me.
Mr_Jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 Mr_Jenkins

He had a stroke. :|  And I don't get what you mean by single-mindedness.  I hope you don't mean he didn't take the South's side into account.

DrAwesomeMD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 DrAwesomeMD

No Lincoln. A great orator and strategist and all, but a little too consumed with "the union" at the expense of everything else ( his family,his religion, his public relations, his sense of humor, etc.).

mariostar0001

None of those are relevant to how good a president is. Public relations, you can make an arguement for, but the others have no bearing on politics.

Then he did a lousy job of running the Korean war. MacArthur had the right idea, finish off the Koreans versus just bottling them up. Truman said no, MacArthur made his mistake by publicly insulting Truman, and Truman had him removed (and rightfully so), and replaced him with a guy who agreed with him (not that that's a dumb idea).

mariostar0001

Lol what? MacArthur wanted to atom bomb China. That would've been practically guranteed to start World War III. Truman made the right call there.

Then he left office and proceeded to try to help his friend Eisenhower to be president, only to be shocked and horrified when said man decided to run as a Democrat, making Truman decide to hate Eisenhower for the rest of his life (one of only three people Truman claimed he'd never forgive).mariostar0001

Don't you mean Eisenhower decided to run as a Republican? :P 

mariostar0001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 mariostar0001
[QUOTE="mariostar0001"]

No Lincoln. A great orator and strategist and all, but a little too consumed with "the union" at the expense of everything else ( his family,his religion, his public relations, his sense of humor, etc.).

DrAwesomeMD

None of those are relevant to how good a president is. Public relations, you can make an arguement for, but the others have no bearing on politics.

They based my opinion on him as a person in the office of President. And believe it or not, the ability to lead your family well (and not manage to estrange your wife after your son dies) does have an impact on how you run your public life, especially in politics. And religion does matter in life, though I doubt I could convince you of that.

[QUOTE="mariostar0001"]Then he did a lousy job of running the Korean war. MacArthur had the right idea, finish off the Koreans versus just bottling them up. Truman said no, MacArthur made his mistake by publicly insulting Truman, and Truman had him removed (and rightfully so), and replaced him with a guy who agreed with him (not that that's a dumb idea).

DrAwesomeMD

Lol what? MacArthur wanted to atom bomb China. That would've been practically guranteed to start World War III. Truman made the right call there.

...I honestly have heard nothing from any source (even my supposedly Christian yet still PC school) about atom bombing China. :|

[QUOTE="mariostar0001"] 

Then he left office and proceeded to try to help his friend Eisenhower to be president, only to be shocked and horrified when said man decided to run as a Democrat, making Truman decide to hate Eisenhower for the rest of his life (one of only three people Truman claimed he'd never forgive).DrAwesomeMD

Don't you mean Eisenhower decided to run as a Republican? :P 

Yes, I meant Republican. Sorry about that.
DrAwesomeMD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 DrAwesomeMD

They based my opinion on him as a person in the office of President. And believe it or not, the ability to lead your family well (and not manage to estrange your wife after your son dies) does have an impact on how you run your public life, especially in politics. And religion does matter in life, though I doubt I could convince you of that.

mariostar0001

Yeah, kinda forgot this whole thing is based around favorites, not trying to be objective. My bad.

...I honestly have heard nothing from any source (even my supposedly Christian yet still PC school) about atom bombing China. :|mariostar0001

Alright then. Here's what Wiki says about MacArthur contemplating using nukes and Truman discharging MacArthur:

These setbacks prompted General MacArthur to consider using nuclear weapons against the Chinese or North Korean interiors, intending radioactive fallout zones would interrupt the Chinese supply chains. Wikipedia

MacArthur had crossed the 38th parallel in the mistaken belief that the Chinese would not enter the war, leading to major allied losses. He believed that whether or not to use nuclear weapons should be his own decision, not the President's. MacArthur threatened to destroy China unless it surrendered. Wikipedia

Note that Wikipedia isn't my primary source; I learned that in US History and watching documentaries. 

Courtney817

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 Courtney817

Now this is an intelligent discussion!

My favorites include George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, FDR, and I think that Kennedy was a good president. 

DrAwesomeMD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 DrAwesomeMD

My favorites include George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, FDR, and I think that Kennedy was a good president. 

Courtney817

Yay! :D 

mariostar0001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 mariostar0001

[QUOTE="mariostar0001"] ...I honestly have heard nothing from any source (even my supposedly Christian yet still PC school) about atom bombing China. :|DrAwesomeMD

Alright then. Here's what Wiki says about MacArthur contemplating using nukes and Truman discharging MacArthur:

These setbacks prompted General MacArthur to consider using nuclear weapons against the Chinese or North Korean interiors, intending radioactive fallout zones would interrupt the Chinese supply chains. Wikipedia

MacArthur had crossed the 38th parallel in the mistaken belief that the Chinese would not enter the war, leading to major allied losses. He believed that whether or not to use nuclear weapons should be his own decision, not the President's. MacArthur threatened to destroy China unless it surrendered. Wikipedia

Note that Wikipedia isn't my primary source; I learned that in US History and watching documentaries. 

I'll keep that in mind. I still don't like Truman though. :P

Courtney817
Thank you. ;)
DrAwesomeMD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 DrAwesomeMD
In my humble opinion, my least favorite presidents are James Buchanen, Warren G. Harding, Andrew Johnson, and Herbert Hoover.
Mr_Jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 Mr_Jenkins
Hoover, Pierce, W. Bush, Andrew Johnson, and Grant
mariostar0001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 mariostar0001
My problem is, I can't really form a top five worst list, I dislike too many. :|
DrAwesomeMD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 DrAwesomeMD

My problem is, I can't really form a top five worst list, I dislike too many. :|mariostar0001

Put down a handful of the ones you dislike. :o 

mariostar0001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 mariostar0001
The first Harrison (:P), Truman, FDR, Clinton, Johnson, Kennedy, Wilson, probably more when I think of them. Obama has yet to get on because he has yet to have a full term, there's a chance he'll do something that redeems him in his last two years.
DrAwesomeMD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 DrAwesomeMD

The first Harrison (:P), Truman, FDR, Clinton, Johnson, Kennedy, Wilson, probably more when I think of them. Obama has yet to get on because he has yet to have a full term, there's a chance he'll do something that redeems him in his last two years.mariostar0001

Really now? And why them?

Also, when you say Johnson, do you mean Andrew Johnson or Lyndon Johnson? 

Mr_Jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 Mr_Jenkins
I'm actually...offended by that list. :P
Courtney817

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 Courtney817

How could you not like FDR? He lead our country through one of the worst wars in history and took great strides in ending the Great Depression. What is not to like about that?

mariostar0001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 mariostar0001

How could you not like FDR? He lead our country through one of the worst wars in history and took great strides in ending the Great Depression. What is not to like about that?

Courtney817
The fact that he also helped contribute to our economic crisis by, among other things, destroying food merely to help farmers raise profits, which failed. Basically, farmers had crops and wanted to make a bigger profit, so FDR ordered that approximately of their crops be destroyed (among other things, six million pigs were killed and discarded, and ten million acres of cotton destroyed), which raised the profits by about 50% on the food, but since they'd lost half their stock they only made 75% as much as they would have made, and the people (who, on average, were below "minimum" levels when it came to their diet, meaning below the amount needed to sustain life) went even hungrier. When the Supreme Court struck down an agricultural bill he passed to prevent more of this trash, he said (actual quote): "Are we going to take the hands of the federal government completely off any effort to adjust the national growing of national crops, and go right straight back to the old principle that every farmer is a lord of his own farm and can do anything he wants, raise anything, any old time, in any quantity, and sell any time he wants?" Later, he tried the infamous "help the old people" trick on the Supreme Court, where he'd either forcefully retire or add an "assistant" to (a new judge) every Supreme Court justice over the age of 70, which was six of them, and allow him the ability to pass whatever legislation he liked because the court would be those he'd already selected. Even his sympathizers at the time saw through its guise as "help the older members". And I wouldn't say he helped get America out of the great depression, he did a better job of prolonging it truthfully (in part due to the example I mentioned just above, the destroying of food and decreasing profits). I won't argue about WWII, while there are plenty of people who could have done better at running the country then, there are plenty (like Truman) who could have done worse. But it didn't really take too much effort over here, America was never really a battlefield outside of Pearl Harbor and one or two strikes after that. Mostly, it was just getting the public to actually care about what was going on (hence the emphasis on Germany's holocaust, not that I'm defending Germany at all).

[QUOTE="mariostar0001"]The first Harrison (:P), Truman, FDR, Clinton, Johnson, Kennedy, Wilson, probably more when I think of them. Obama has yet to get on because he has yet to have a full term, there's a chance he'll do something that redeems him in his last two years.DrAwesomeMD

Really now? And why them?

Also, when you say Johnson, do you mean Andrew Johnson or Lyndon Johnson? 

Andrew Johnson, due to his fail method of dealing with the south. Seriously, was he trying to spilt the country in two again or something? :roll: I'm not really a Lyndon fan either. As for Kennedy, he was a rather boring president, and overconfident. He wrote a thesis paper in college and made it into a book, which was pretty much totally rewritten by the publisher so it might sell, and then still didn't until Joseph Kennedy (AKA daddy) bought over 30,000 copies of it so it could become a bestseller. There's also the theory that he bribed his way into office, but I won't go there because I don't quite believe it myself.
DrAwesomeMD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 DrAwesomeMD

Courtney817

Correction: the worst war in history. World War II made all other wars, even World War I, seem like playground fights between kids. 

Also, fun fact: the depression technically ended by the end of FDR's first term. However, the economy hit a steep recession after recovering a lot, which is why FDR's unemployment rate spikes from 1937 to 1938. 

mariostar0001

I've seen most of your points made by people in history who didn't like FDR, and they're all valid to some degree. However, I don't believe there was anyone who could have led the nation better at the time, mostly due to all of FDR's oponents when he went up for reelection going "I'm going to do exactly what he's doing, so vote for me instead!". When you have that going on, you know you're doing something right. 

Andrew Johnson, due to his fail method of dealing with the south. Seriously, was he trying to spilt the country in two again or something? :roll: I'm not really a Lyndon fan either. As for Kennedy, he was a rather boring president, and overconfident. He wrote a thesis paper in college and made it into a book, which was pretty much totally rewritten by the publisher so it might sell, and then still didn't until Joseph Kennedy (AKA daddy) bought over 30,000 copies of it so it could become a bestseller. There's also the theory that he bribed his way into office, but I won't go there because I don't quite believe it myself.mariostar0001

Johnson was an arrogant SOB. He actually said that God had Lincoln killed so he could be president, or something to that effect. :roll:

I've heard that his dad bribed the Chicago mob into voting for him on the promise that they wouldn't get any heat from the law if they did so.

mariostar0001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 mariostar0001

[QUOTE="mariostar0001"]Andrew Johnson, due to his fail method of dealing with the south. Seriously, was he trying to spilt the country in two again or something? :roll: I'm not really a Lyndon fan either. As for Kennedy, he was a rather boring president, and overconfident. He wrote a thesis paper in college and made it into a book, which was pretty much totally rewritten by the publisher so it might sell, and then still didn't until Joseph Kennedy (AKA daddy) bought over 30,000 copies of it so it could become a bestseller. There's also the theory that he bribed his way into office, but I won't go there because I don't quite believe it myself.DrAwesomeMD

Johnson was an arrogant SOB. He actually said that God had Lincoln killed so he could be president, or something to that effect. :roll:

I've heard that his dad bribed the Chicago mob into voting for him on the promise that they wouldn't get any heat from the law if they did so.

Somehow, I'd not be surprised. He already had a bad reputation thanks to being drunk on his VP inauguration day, why stop there? And considering that (so far as I know) they never did get any heat from the law, it might make sense.
VideoGamerNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#193 VideoGamerNerd
Member since 2009 • 10530 Posts
How did the food thead turn into this? I'm confused. :?
DrAwesomeMD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 DrAwesomeMD
[QUOTE="DrAwesomeMD"]

[QUOTE="mariostar0001"]Andrew Johnson, due to his fail method of dealing with the south. Seriously, was he trying to spilt the country in two again or something? :roll: I'm not really a Lyndon fan either. As for Kennedy, he was a rather boring president, and overconfident. He wrote a thesis paper in college and made it into a book, which was pretty much totally rewritten by the publisher so it might sell, and then still didn't until Joseph Kennedy (AKA daddy) bought over 30,000 copies of it so it could become a bestseller. There's also the theory that he bribed his way into office, but I won't go there because I don't quite believe it myself.mariostar0001

Somehow, I'd not be surprised. He already had a bad reputation thanks to being drunk on his VP inauguration day, why stop there? And considering that (so far as I know) they never did get any heat from the law, it might make sense.

Actually, they did. See, that part ties in to one of the JFK assassination theories that the mob did it. Joseph Kennedy said they wouldn't get any heat, but Robert Kennedy cracked down on them as attorney general, so some say they killed JFK since they felt they had been betrayed. 

mariostar0001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 mariostar0001
[QUOTE="mariostar0001"][QUOTE="DrAwesomeMD"]

[QUOTE="mariostar0001"]Andrew Johnson, due to his fail method of dealing with the south. Seriously, was he trying to spilt the country in two again or something? :roll: I'm not really a Lyndon fan either. As for Kennedy, he was a rather boring president, and overconfident. He wrote a thesis paper in college and made it into a book, which was pretty much totally rewritten by the publisher so it might sell, and then still didn't until Joseph Kennedy (AKA daddy) bought over 30,000 copies of it so it could become a bestseller. There's also the theory that he bribed his way into office, but I won't go there because I don't quite believe it myself.DrAwesomeMD

Actually, they did. See, that part ties in to one of the JFK assassination theories that the mob did it. Joseph Kennedy said they wouldn't get any heat, but Robert Kennedy cracked down on them as attorney general, so some say they killed JFK since they felt they had been betrayed. 

Makes sense. I never could figure out why anyone would want to kill him, and would be able to get away with it.
Mr_Jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 Mr_Jenkins
Pizza! :D
Aidan129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points