jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

we finally have all next gen consoles announced or revealed. this should be a great time for gamers....so are you personally excited? 

i guess for me, i am but not as much as i should be. im a bit apprehensive with prices and i have plenty of games to keep me occupied. plus im not sure i like where the industry is going with this gen. 

i was specially dissapointed with the xbox one or as i like to simply type x1. no doubt it has some really cool features but its not what i was hoping for. i was hoping for first party games, lots of features that will benefit gaming as a whole. but what i found was a cable box with more third party exclusives. i have no doubt that the x1 is going to be a success with plenty of great games

ps4 seems to be there as far as games, but i think they are a step behind everything. i don't know i just have this feeling that they are going to fumble it by charging for online mp. 

so how about you guys? 

KGKaiju

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 KGKaiju
Member since 2010 • 861 Posts

I hate to sound like a buzzkill.....but unless one of those systems brings something mind-blowing to the table, I am not going to be too excited. 

Waiting a year or two to buy one won't hurt me  too much.  I would advise the same for others....especially with regard to Microsoft's offering.  Their systems seemed to be plagued from the start so one may want to wait for Microsoft to iron out the bugs.....Of course you would probably have to replace the system due to melting of the components and bug remains but anyway.....:P

Hyacinth2600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Hyacinth2600
Member since 2005 • 29 Posts

The new Xbox looks interesting but I don't see myself getting one. Also, is it me, or does it look somewhat like an old VCR player or a first gen DVD player? I haven't seen much of the PS4 to really decide on that one.

Right now, I'm pretty content with the Wii U and its upcoming first party games.

Dzjaansis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Dzjaansis
Member since 2002 • 27689 Posts
Right now, I'm pretty content with the Wii U and its upcoming first party games.EMZayas
I wonder how long that will still last :roll: Frankly, I'm not really excited about neither two. I wanted more mind blowing gfx and less multi media crap...
Hyacinth2600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Hyacinth2600
Member since 2005 • 29 Posts

I wonder how long that will still last Dzjaansis

I'm someone that's not hard to please. With a new 3D Mario and Yoshi game coming, I'll be satisfied for quite a while.

KGKaiju

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 KGKaiju

The new Xbox looks interesting but I don't see myself getting one. Also, is it me, or does it look somewhat like an old VCR player or a first gen DVD player? I haven't seen much of the PS4 to really decide on that one.

Right now, I'm pretty content with the Wii U and its upcoming first party games.

EMZayas

Congrats on obtaining a Wii U.  You are a step ahead of me as I have yet to obtain one.

I wonder how long that will still last :roll:Dzjaansis

You never know.  There are probably some still playing the Wii on a regular basis.....unlike you and I.  It has been a while since I fired that system up.

Frankly, I'm not really excited about neither two. I wanted more mind blowing gfx and less multi media crap...Dzjaansis

When I mentioned the term mind blowing in my initial text, graphics was one of the mentionables.  We are definitely in agreement on that. 

I love gameplay and put it ahead of graphics.....but if the XBOX1 and PS4 are esentially the same as their predecessors in the graphics department,  there really wasn't much of a point in putting them out (other than corporate greed that is).

Dzjaansis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Dzjaansis
You never know.  There are probably some still playing the Wii on a regular basis.....unlike you and I.  It has been a while since I fired that system up.KGKaiju
Me neither. But that wasn't really my point. I've got a strange feeling that Nintendo could be the next Sega. To put in other words, that their consoles will die in the near future, and that they will focus on bringing their software to the other platforms (not talking about handhelds). The fact that there are devs giving up on the Wii U only boosts that feeling...
KGKaiju

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 KGKaiju

[QUOTE="KGKaiju"]You never know.  There are probably some still playing the Wii on a regular basis.....unlike you and I.  It has been a while since I fired that system up.Dzjaansis
Me neither. But that wasn't really my point. I've got a strange feeling that Nintendo could be the next Sega. To put in other words, that their consoles will die in the near future, and that they will focus on bringing their software to the other platforms (not talking about handhelds). The fact that there are devs giving up on the Wii U only boosts that feeling...

I am not sure why developers are giving up on the Wii U as I must admit I haven't researched it out yet.....but I do know that the PS3 was giving developers pause early on in it's lifespan and things panned out.  That isn't to say that will happen with the Wii U.....but that may happen if some big names port some high quality titles to get the ball rolling. It is a bit early to tell but by year's end we should be getting an idea. The launch titles for the XBOX 1 and PS4 may turn out to be a big factor....but not if the industry is depending on my contributions.  LOL

IMHO, the 360 and PS3 haven't played out and really gamers like myself are not being considered when it comes to the timing of the newest offerings.  It's all about money....and I have a feeling we will see just how much once the consoles come out.  When sales drop below a certain level whether gamers want it or not a new batch of systems go into development.  Even if the XBOX 1 and PS4 show significant improvement (which I doubt), I will still be waiting for the price drop before making a purchase and may even wait longer if I feel that my 360 and PS3 still deserve some TV time.

lozengez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lozengez
Member since 2011 • 490 Posts

I'm happy with my backlog and PC for now.

I'll be waiting for enough games on the PS4 and more information on the XB3 (if it requires periodic check-ups on the internet to function I won't be getting it).

KGKaiju

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 KGKaiju

I'll be waiting for enough games on the PS4 and more information on the XB3 (if it requires periodic check-ups on the internet to function I won't be getting it).

lozengez

Excellent point......Those updates were a bit annoying I must say.  Besides, I have quite a backlog myself.  One check of my backloggery page and it is readily apparent just how far in the hole I am. :o

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jsmoke03

lozengez

you read the clip that you have to check in your x1 at least once a day according to phil harrison. that guy is bad news...since he fumbled the ps3 launch, he hasnt worked anywhere succesful.  might as well be an always on console because apparentlythe x1 wont work without internet.

KGKaiju

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 KGKaiju
[QUOTE="lozengez"]

jsmoke03

you read the clip that you have to check in your x1 at least once a day according to phil harrison. that guy is bad news...since he fumbled the ps3 launch, he hasnt worked anywhere succesful.  might as well be an always on console because apparentlythe x1 wont work without internet.

Are you serious jsmoke???????  The XBOX1 is going to require you to log on to the internet at least once a day??????? 

Is that for updates or to force gamers to watch ads.....or some other reason???  If this is true, I will NOT be getting that system under any circumstance. I don't want to jump through fiery hoops to play a game.  That is ridiculous.

Avatar image for waflerevolution
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 121

#13 waflerevolution
Member since 2004 • 10598 Posts
I'm sure it'll require the internet but I doubt logging in every day would be a necessity.
KGKaiju

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 KGKaiju

I'm sure it'll require the internet but I doubt logging in every day would be a necessity.waflerevolution

If Microsoft were to make that a requirement, they would definitely fall to number 3 in my book.  It seems that one hardware company makes a bad move each time around. (The PS3 starting price point comes to mind.)  If this were to occur, I suppose that it shouldn't surprise me.  Hopefully you are right though.

waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 waflerevolution
the 360 and PS3 practically require internet now... I see no reason something that tries to do everything wouldn't need internet.
KGKaiju

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 KGKaiju

the 360 and PS3 practically require internet now... I see no reason something that tries to do everything wouldn't need internet.waflerevolution

Perhaps it is a shell game of sorts.  It has yet to be seen whether or not the consoles will have significantly improved graphics.  Even if the graphic capabilities are improved, how do we know that game developers will push the limits?

Just as a couple of thought questions: 

Will Sony's expensive processor spell financial doom for the system or can Sony sell enough units to eventually pay the extra cost incurred? 

Do you think that the added cost incurred by Sony will be worth it or do you you feel that the systems will be similar enough in the graphics department and that Sony has wasted their money? 

Do you think that Microsoft is adding all these bells and whistles in the hopes that the XBOX 1's inferior processor will be overlooked or do you see it as a tipping point in Microsoft's favor?

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jsmoke03

xbox one-online check in

their "used" game plan...i think they back peddled hard on this one 

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jsmoke03

the 360 and PS3 practically require internet now... I see no reason something that tries to do everything wouldn't need internet.waflerevolution

except that playing an offline single player doesnt need internet or the kinect yet both are required to play. what if you forgot to pay the internet/cable bill....or what if you don't have internet at all. before this gen, one didnt need online to play. hell i know 2 years ago i didn't have internet while my family was trying desperately to keep my current house.

if you look at my second article, there are going to be offline "exceptions"  so the rest of us are tough luck.

KGKaiju

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 KGKaiju

xbox one-online check in

their "used" game plan...i think they back peddled hard on this one 

jsmoke03

Is it just me or does it seem as though the information leaks caught Microsoft with their pants down and they are trying desperately to back-peddle regarding the mandatory online check-in?  They aren't denying it and listing it as a "possible scenario" isn't doing anything to make the XBOX 1 desirable to me.

Perhaps Microsoft intentionally leaked the used game plan to "test the waters" and found it to be undesirable to consumers.  The flat denial seems to be believable....but who knows?

[QUOTE="waflerevolution"]the 360 and PS3 practically require internet now... I see no reason something that tries to do everything wouldn't need internet.jsmoke03

except that playing an offline single player doesnt need internet or the kinect yet both are required to play. what if you forgot to pay the internet/cable bill....or what if you don't have internet at all. before this gen, one didnt need online to play. hell i know 2 years ago i didn't have internet while my family was trying desperately to keep my current house.

if you look at my second article, there are going to be offline "exceptions"  so the rest of us are tough luck.

This is why I love vintage games.  There is no online/offline hassle.  It seems that we are moving away from face-to-face contact in the world of gaming.  What happened to the days when you could invite friends over and just play a few games?  Sometimes simpler is better.  

waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 waflerevolution
you're forgetting that people are scared of other people and are more filled with hate than friendship... and the kinds of people who believe facebook friends are real friends are more common than those who have real life friends... so online gaming reflects the trends... I'm just glad co-op came back, we had two whole generations without any... the N64, PS1, and Saturn neglected co-op games... and the PS2, Xbox, Gamecube era did too...
KGKaiju

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 KGKaiju

you're forgetting that people are scared of other people and are more filled with hate than friendship... and the kinds of people who believe facebook friends are real friends are more common than those who have real life friends... so online gaming reflects the trends...waflerevolution

If that's the way most people are, I am abnormal. :D

I'm just glad co-op came back, we had two whole generations without any... the N64, PS1, and Saturn neglected co-op games... and the PS2, Xbox, Gamecube era did too...waflerevolution

Some games (Twisted Metal 2 is the first one that comes to mind) did have split screen co-op.  Perhaps the majority didn't but we still had a few that did.  For the XBOX and PS2, Godzilla: Save the Earth did allow for in-house multiplayer but it was a single screen and admittedly the camera did have problems at times keeping up with the action when players moved to the opposite side of the screen. I am not sure about other games but can vouch for those as I have experienced said multiplayer games.  Maybe those games were an aboration at the time but, since I didn't play some of the more popular games (like the ones to which you are referring), I can't truly say how many did or didn't have in-house multiplayer.....only that at least a few did. 

lozengez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lozengez
Member since 2011 • 490 Posts

No they don't you can never connect your 360 or PS3 to the internet and they'd work fine.

waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 waflerevolution

[QUOTE="waflerevolution"]the 360 and PS3 practically require internet now... I see no reason something that tries to do everything wouldn't need internet.lozengez

No they don't you can never connect your 360 or PS3 to the internet and they'd work fine.

true, but for the full use of features and the XBLA/PSN games... as well as indie games... and patching of broken games... well, both require internet for complete use.

someNONSENSE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 someNONSENSE
Member since 2006 • 1404 Posts

I hate to sound like a buzzkill.....but unless one of those systems brings something mind-blowing to the table, I am not going to be too excited. 

Waiting a year or two to buy one won't hurt me  too much.  I would advise the same for others....especially with regard to Microsoft's offering.  Their systems seemed to be plagued from the start so one may want to wait for Microsoft to iron out the bugs.....Of course you would probably have to replace the system due to melting of the components and bug remains but anyway.....:P

KGKaiju

What would you consider "mind-blowing"? 

"..Of course you would probably have to replace the system due to melting of the components and bug remains but anyway"

I suspect that this new machine will NOT have overheating issues. I think MS probably learned from their billion dollar mistake with the first run of Xbox 360s. 

KGKaiju

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 KGKaiju

KGKaiju

What would you consider "mind-blowing"?someNONSENSE

1) A substantial improvement in graphics would be a start....though I must admit that is a tall order and probably not even possible. 

2) Free online gaming with no connectivity issues.  Hey, I know it's like "having your cake and eating it too"....but it would blow my mind. 

3) 100% compatibility for previous system games.  PS4 would play PS1, PS2, PS3, and even PSP games via an attachment.  XBOX 1 would play 360 and original XBOX games. This won't happen so I am not holding my breath.

4) Both systems would have to be under $400 and/or bundled with 2 must-have games.  This would depend parly on developers thus the "or" in "and/or is used.

5) Both systems would have to have 5+ year warranties that would cover any and all faulty workmanship/part failures....no excuses....just customer service.   If the system is faulty, all the customer should have to do is take it back to where it was bought, show that it didn't work by plugging it in, and drive the brand new system home.....no waiting on the phone for a representative to answer.....no waiting for weeks to have the system repaired.   If Microsoft and Sony want to waste time fixing systems the stores return that is there prerogative but don't inconvenience a loyal customer for something that is the company's fault.  They could then sell the returned systems to retail locations as "refurbished" or eat the cost. The only snag would be making sure that the stores had enough replacements to cover customer returns.....or (and here's a novel idea) just make the systems solid.  If Atari could do it, why not.  I realize that the laser eye is a big factor but I am sure they can be made to last.  

If these 5 requirements were met, I would be willing to buy them both on day 1....but I would be more likely to spot a flying pig wearing a corset or tidy whities.  :P

"..Of course you would probably have to replace the system due to melting of the components and bug remains but anyway"KGKaiju

I suspect that this new machine will NOT have overheating issues. I think MS probably learned from their billion dollar mistake with the first run of Xbox 360s. 

someNONSENSE

Well,.....the original XBOX had problems early on and Microsoft still rushed the 360 to the shelves with problems.  I am seeing a disturbing pattern here.  Microsoft is going to have to convince me that they are more concerned with customer service than they are with a quick buck.  It is reassuring to see them wait this long after the Wii U is released but are they rushing it to make the current deadline they have set?

waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 waflerevolution

the first run of PS2s were all faulty, there was even a class action lawsuit because sony refused to replace them... and PS3s have truckloads of issues to, not sure why everyone is picking on xbox consoles... it's just the way corporations are... expect to be ripped off if you buy anything a greedy corporation sells.

also, to add to my earlier statement DLC is also mostly only available via internet.

someNONSENSE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 someNONSENSE
Member since 2006 • 1404 Posts
@KGKaiju, @Waflerevolution: All good points
KGKaiju

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 KGKaiju

the first run of PS2s were all faulty, there was even a class action lawsuit because sony refused to replace them... and PS3s have truckloads of issues to, not sure why everyone is picking on xbox consoles... it's just the way corporations are... expect to be ripped off if you buy anything a greedy corporation sells.

also, to add to my earlier statement DLC is also mostly only available via internet.

waflerevolution

That is a valid point.  I don't deny that there have been issues with some of Sony's offerings and that is worth noting...but it has yet to be proven that Microsoft can make a single system that doesn't have inherent problems.  Correct me if I am wrong......but I don't recall any major problems with the PS1 or PSP though.  If my assertion is correct, that of course means that Sony has no excuse for shipping out any problematic systems.....so I suppose that would be a strike against them.

As for DLC, I am sure you know how I feel about that. LOL

@KGKaiju, @Waflerevolution: All good pointssomeNONSENSE

Thanks. :)

Dzjaansis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Dzjaansis

waflerevolution
That's why it's called DownLoadable Content :roll: :D 
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jsmoke03
[QUOTE="KGKaiju"]

KGKaiju

1) A substantial improvement in graphics would be a start....though I must admit that is a tall order and probably not even possible. 

2) Free online gaming with no connectivity issues.  Hey, I know it's like "having your cake and eating it too"....but it would blow my mind. 

3) 100% compatibility for previous system games.  PS4 would play PS1, PS2, PS3, and even PSP games via an attachment.  XBOX 1 would play 360 and original XBOX games. This won't happen so I am not holding my breath.

4) Both systems would have to be under $400 and/or bundled with 2 must-have games.  This would depend parly on developers thus the "or" in "and/or is used.

5) Both systems would have to have 5+ year warranties that would cover any and all faulty workmanship/part failures....no excuses....just customer service.   If the system is faulty, all the customer should have to do is take it back to where it was bought, show that it didn't work by plugging it in, and drive the brand new system home.....no waiting on the phone for a representative to answer.....no waiting for weeks to have the system repaired.   If Microsoft and Sony want to waste time fixing systems the stores return that is there prerogative but don't inconvenience a loyal customer for something that is the company's fault.  They could then sell the returned systems to retail locations as "refurbished" or eat the cost. The only snag would be making sure that the stores had enough replacements to cover customer returns.....or (and here's a novel idea) just make the systems solid.  If Atari could do it, why not.  I realize that the laser eye is a big factor but I am sure they can be made to last.  

If these 5 requirements were met, I would be willing to buy them both on day 1....but I would be more likely to spot a flying pig wearing a corset or tidy whities.  :P

"..Of course you would probably have to replace the system due to melting of the components and bug remains but anyway"KGKaiju

someNONSENSE

Well,.....the original XBOX had problems early on and Microsoft still rushed the 360 to the shelves with problems.  I am seeing a disturbing pattern here.  Microsoft is going to have to convince me that they are more concerned with customer service than they are with a quick buck.  It is reassuring to see them wait this long after the Wii U is released but are they rushing it to make the current deadline they have set?

3,4,5 is a bit unrealistic. 1 is possible already but to achieve a cheap price tag, they couldnt do number 1. number 2 is highly plausible....what if i dont like the share button and just play online mp....id like the ps4 to be free online mp just like ps3 was

waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 waflerevolution

That is a valid point.  I don't deny that there have been issues with some of Sony's offerings and that is worth noting...but it has yet to be proven that Microsoft can make a single system that doesn't have inherent problems.  Correct me if I am wrong......but I don't recall any major problems with the PS1 or PSP though.  If my assertion is correct, that of course means that Sony has no excuse for shipping out any problematic systems.....so I suppose that would be a strike against them.

As for DLC, I am sure you know how I feel about that. LOLKGKaiju

PS1 systems were prone to lens degridation much like with the PS2s and PSPs had battery issues like overheating and longevity problems at launch... not sure if they actually fixed that one or not.

I don't remember anything bad about the XBOX... please refresh my memory on that one.

I worked at a gamestoop during the early days of these consoles, I heard all the stories and all the warnings from the major system reps... I also was there when the 360 and PS3 launched and I remember the warnings I had to give people then too...

Big_Evil666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 Big_Evil666
Member since 2004 • 13817 Posts
i'll say this, i'm not impressed with the Xbox One nor do i want one, pun intended and i've no desire for a PS4. i'm not done getting the most out of what i already own. plus i wanna recapture some nostalgia, collecting some old-school stuff i've never owned, like completing last gen, getting an XBox and GameCube
KGKaiju

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 KGKaiju

4) Both systems would have to be under $400 and/or bundled with 2 must-have games.  This would depend partly on developers thus the "or" in "and/or is used.

5) Both systems would have to have 5+ year warranties that would cover any and all faulty workmanship/part failures....no excuses....just customer service.   If the system is faulty, all the customer should have to do is take it back to where it was bought, show that it didn't work by plugging it in, and drive the brand new system home.....no waiting on the phone for a representative to answer.....no waiting for weeks to have the system repaired.   If Microsoft and Sony want to waste time fixing systems the stores return that is their prerogative but don't inconvenience a loyal customer for something that is the company's fault.  They could then sell the returned systems to retail locations as "refurbished" or eat the cost. The only snag would be making sure that the stores had enough replacements to cover customer returns.....or (and here's a novel idea) just make the systems solid.  If Atari could do it, why not.  I realize that the laser eye is a big factor but I am sure they can be made to last.  

If these 5 requirements were met, I would be willing to buy them both on day 1....but I would be more likely to spot a flying pig wearing a corset or tidy whities.  :PKGKaiju

3,4,5 is a bit unrealistic. 1 is possible already but to achieve a cheap price tag, they couldnt do number 1. number 2 is highly plausible....what if i dont like the share button and just play online mp....id like the ps4 to be free online mp just like ps3 was

jsmoke03

It is odd that you are saying that 3, 4, and 5 are a bit unrealistic.  I actually thought them to be quite plausible.....if Microsoft and Sony care about customer service.  Wait.....did I just say that?   Never mind.....We are talking about greedy corporations here. 

Seriously though, 3 and 5 can definitely be done if Microsoft and Sony believed it to be in their best interest.  Remember that there were PS3 units sold that would play both PS1 and PS2 games....and then Sony decided to ship out consoles that will no longer play PS2 titles.  If the 360 can play original XBOX and some of the PS3 systems will play PS1 and PS2, why can't we expect that the PS4 and XBOX 1 play those titles as well?  Also, Sony could make an attachment for PSP games.  Perhaps there is more incentive for a gamer to buy a new system and new games if the older systems conk out and there is no way to play the last gen games.....It's called greed. 

I'll admit #5 is a bit more tricky.  The companies would have to really saturate the market from the onset.....but I think it's still possible.

4....Well I did say "and/or" so I am not necessarily expecting both but definitely one or the other.

To be honest, #1 seems to be the most unattainable.  I mean....How much more realistic can games get without actually killing the gamer playing it?  I think that we have gone as far as we can go and I honestly don't think it is possible to really see the kind of improvement that we have seen in the past (like Atari 2600 to NES for instance).  As technology continues to advance, changes are going to be more and more subtle and we have to ask ourselves "Is it really going to be worth it to buy that new system?".  Sure they can tweak the systems to where they don't play the games of older models.....but what are they really bringing to the table?  Is it really an advancement or just a side-step to avoid the next video game crash?

[QUOTE="KGKaiju"]

As for DLC, I am sure you know how I feel about that. LOLwaflerevolution

PS1 systems were prone to lens degridation much like with the PS2s and PSPs had battery issues like overheating and longevity problems at launch... not sure if they actually fixed that one or not.

I don't remember anything bad about the XBOX... please refresh my memory on that one.

I worked at a gamestoop during the early days of these consoles, I heard all the stories and all the warnings from the major system reps... I also was there when the 360 and PS3 launched and I remember the warnings I had to give people then too...

I have never had a problem with my PS1 or PSP so I was unaware of any problems.  However, I did have an original XBOX brick out with RROD.  From what I was hearing from other gamers, my incident wasn't isolated by any means.  

i'll say this, i'm not impressed with the Xbox One nor do i want one, pun intended and i've no desire for a PS4. i'm not done getting the most out of what i already own. plus i wanna recapture some nostalgia, collecting some old-school stuff i've never owned, like completing last gen, getting an XBox and GameCubeBig_Evil666

Amen brother....You preach it.   There is absolutely no way that I will argue against you on that.  :D

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jsmoke03

@ kg-i meant to have all 5 things together or even have three of those things together would have been unrealistic.

wishlist number 3 has already been confirmed that its not happening on the xbox one. ps4 and gaikai could be like another subscription based thing like how they did psn plus. 

4- 4 is a bit unrealistic coming out of the gate. these are established companies in the the gaming industry so thats why i wouldn't peg it unless you count a kinect game coming out of the box. i don't personally but its going to be hard to have this and not have a price hike. 

5- a 5 year warranty for a gaming console would only happen if another rrod fiasco happens. 

these are my opinions. your wishlist would be nice, but im only hoping for less than $500 console & tiered plans like what the ps3 did this gen cuz i have a big problem paying for online multiplayer esp. since its mostly p2p for cod anyway. bells and whistles should come as extra, but just to play with your friends online should be free since it was possible this gen and on pc 

KGKaiju

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 KGKaiju

@ kg-i meant to have all 5 things together or even have three of those things together would have been unrealistic.jsmoke03

Yeah....thus my flying pig in a corset or tidy whities remark was made earlier. :P

wishlist number 3 has already been confirmed that its not happening on the xbox one. ps4 and gaikai could be like another subscription based thing like how they did psn plus.jsmoke03

True.  XBOX 1 has already stated that it wouldn't be backward compatible....but if gamers stood together and said they wouldn't purchase a system without backward compatibility, I am sure that Microsoft would have to change their mind.

4- 4 is a bit unrealistic coming out of the gate. these are established companies in the the gaming industry so thats why i wouldn't peg it unless you count a kinect game coming out of the box. i don't personally but its going to be hard to have this and not have a price hike.jsmoke03

Well....the XBOX 360 and PS3 haven't been played out yet so Microsoft and Sony are going to have to do something to entice gamers to buy what would otherwise be unneeded systems.  Slapping on a $500 or more price tag and maintaining poor customer service just isn't going to cut it. If the truth be known $400 wouldn't get it with most consumers as they most likely don't have that kind of money to spend.

5- a 5 year warranty for a gaming console would only happen if another rrod fiasco happens. jsmoke03

Agreed.....Only if it is in the best interest of the companies will this happen.

these are my opinions. your wishlist would be nice, but im only hoping for less than $500 console & tiered plans like what the ps3 did this gen cuz i have a big problem paying for online multiplayer esp. since its mostly p2p for cod anyway. bells and whistles should come as extra, but just to play with your friends online should be free since it was possible this gen and on pc jsmoke03

I suppose that I am a lot harder to please. LOL

.....and now for my two cents

Microsoft and Sony would be better off using existing systems and developing their own games to make money (like Atari did back in the day) rather than sinking a ton of money on systems that we just don't need right now.  That is a gamble that could easily backfire. 

In a time when higher prices at the pump and at retail locations are the norm, consumers shouldn't be considering the purchase of a new gaming console anyway....and yet this is the very time when Microsoft and Sony are trying to peddle their new systems.  Are they really that oblivious?  I am fortunate that I have a decent job and can say "If they do all 5 I will purchase both systems."  Most are probably fortunate just to pay for gas to get to work and keep the bills paid.
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 waflerevolution
I'm not going to get either system for probably ever... I don't care if they don't have backwards compatibity as long as they continue to support the previous consoles... after the 360 came out, microsoft stopped supporting the old xbox live dashboard... which wasn't fair... to the few of us still using it.
KGKaiju

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 KGKaiju

I'm not going to get either system for probably ever... I don't care if they don't have backwards compatibity as long as they continue to support the previous consoles... after the 360 came out, microsoft stopped supporting the old xbox live dashboard... which wasn't fair... to the few of us still using it.waflerevolution

I wasn't aware that Microsoft cut support for the old dashboard....but that doesn't surprise me.  When they cut online support for original XBOX games, I let me Live subscription lapse so I didn't know that the dashboard had changed. 

I guess that I am not into being forced to make a changeover that I don't want either......  Fortunately I have plenty of other systems and games to play so I won't miss the XBOX 1 or PS4.  

waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 waflerevolution

[QUOTE="waflerevolution"]I'm not going to get either system for probably ever... I don't care if they don't have backwards compatibity as long as they continue to support the previous consoles... after the 360 came out, microsoft stopped supporting the old xbox live dashboard... which wasn't fair... to the few of us still using it.KGKaiju

I wasn't aware that Microsoft cut support for the old dashboard....but that doesn't surprise me.  When they cut online support for original XBOX games, I let me Live subscription lapse so I didn't know that the dashboard had changed. 

I guess that I am not into being forced to make a changeover that I don't want either......  Fortunately I have plenty of other systems and games to play so I won't miss the XBOX 1 or PS4.  

they didn't cut support for old xbox games... the online support was per-game by the company that made it... for instance, I was still playing Steel Battalion LoC up until about 3 years ago and I was still playing Battlefield 2 until Activision discontinued support of it. and Halo 2 was still active last I checked. PS2 titles were the same, it was up to the people hosting the servers for the game... some companies support their online support for much longer than others... some titles were also supported longer than others.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 jsmoke03
to be honest, i could have gone 2 more years not caring for a new console. i did with my ps2 and stuff and i caught up on a lot of my backlog in the process. it really took cod for me to even think about buying a ps3...but even then i didn't jump on til like 1 year after it released
KGKaiju

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 KGKaiju
[QUOTE="waflerevolution"]

[QUOTE="waflerevolution"]I'm not going to get either system for probably ever... I don't care if they don't have backwards compatibity as long as they continue to support the previous consoles... after the 360 came out, microsoft stopped supporting the old xbox live dashboard... which wasn't fair... to the few of us still using it.KGKaiju

they didn't cut support for old xbox games... the online support was per-game by the company that made it... for instance, I was still playing Steel Battalion LoC up until about 3 years ago and I was still playing Battlefield 2 until Activision discontinued support of it. and Halo 2 was still active last I checked. PS2 titles were the same, it was up to the people hosting the servers for the game... some companies support their online support for much longer than others... some titles were also supported longer than others.

Hmmm....It seemed that a bunch of original XBOX games all had support cut at the same time....and naturally I thought that this was Microsoft's doing.  If it was the developers instead, I can see why.....greed.

to be honest, i could have gone 2 more years not caring for a new console. i did with my ps2 and stuff and i caught up on a lot of my backlog in the process. it really took cod for me to even think about buying a ps3...but even then i didn't jump on til like 1 year after it releasedjsmoke03

If you want to catch up on your backlog that is a good time to do it.  Speaking of which....I only have 3,400 or so games in my backlog so I feel as though I am getting close. :P  Seriously though, even if a video game crash occurred I still probably wouldn't catch up for quite a while.

Yeah, I might still be waiting to purchase a PS3 had Twisted Metal not come out.  I bought the PS3 specifically for that reason.

cosmostein77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 102

#43 cosmostein77
Member since 2004 • 7043 Posts

I will get both on day one if possible or within whatever shipment my pre-order (assuming I can place one) gets into stores.

Never been too picky about what I considered to be a firm requirement for buying a new console; at the 360 launch I played the heck out of Condemned and Perfect Dark Zero till Oblivian came out a few months later. 

There is always a few gems on the frontend that get released around launch that everyone who waited glosses over in the end (The Outfit for 360 comes to mind). 

I look at both these consoles the same way I looked at the Wii-U. 

As long as there is something to keep me occupied till those must have games come out its worth whatever the difference in price between launch day and first price drop. 

Avatar image for undergroundfrog
undergroundfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 undergroundfrog
Member since 2009 • 499 Posts
i want an Xbox One for some odd reason :)
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 jsmoke03
i think we are getting screwed with both consoles. whatever i know i will buy one but if both require subscriptions, but im going to pass on launch
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 jsmoke03

i was right.....ps4 requires subscription for online, and xboxone still has sh!tty policy and its more expensive. 

@kg- you have your pack in with ps4 if you get psn plus....you get drive club for free.  

waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 waflerevolution
I'm not dropping $500 for any console... ever.
KGKaiju

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 KGKaiju

i was right.....ps4 requires subscription for online, and xboxone still has sh!tty policy and its more expensive. 

@kg- you have your pack in with ps4 if you get psn plus....you get drive club for free.  

jsmoke03

Eh.....a free game if I purchase PSN plus.  That isn't much of a deal in my book.  It would have to come with the system.....no strings attached.

I'm not dropping $500 for any console... ever.waflerevolution

I would......if it was an Adventure Vision.  Any other console would be an absolute No!

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 jsmoke03

so im guessing both of you aren't going to get the next gen consoles for a long time?

after all the hooplah has died down and ive come to my senses, there really isnt any point buying both systems. i guess im passing on xb1. sad cuz i don't like playing one console but their 24 hour check in, looks like i HAVE TO BUY LIVE unless i can still experience single player games without it and kinect (i hate motion gaming with a passion). i don't know....its a harsh reality that i can only pick one console. even with ps3 and xbox 360, i knew one day i would get both systems.  

cosmostein77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 102

#50 cosmostein77
Member since 2004 • 7043 Posts

What an odd generation of consoles;

Last Gen, I needed to throw down 200 bucks to get a 360 on launch day. 

Wii and PS3 required me to wait outside of an EBGames to get on the pre-order list (in PS3's case it took most of the morning) 

This Gen; 

Walked into a Best Buy, got a Wii-U

Xbox 1 and PS4 I was able to pre-order on EBgames.ca without as much as a cash deposit. 

Are they just making more or do people care less?