Avatar image for 203762174820177760555343052357

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 203762174820177760555343052357
Member since 2005 • 7599 Posts

This morning I kind of had an epiphany about people who don't understand game collectors. I heard someone talk about their book collection -- that the had over 10,000 books. I thought, "That's weird, that they know how many books that they have."

I have a lot of books, more than I have shelves for, but I have no idea how many I have and it's never occured to me to count them. In fact after I read my books I don't really have that much of an affinity for them -- some I donate, some I throw out (if I don't think they are worth donating).

And it's not like these things are different from games, I mean they cost the same ($5-> $150 -- for texts), but to me they don't have much value in terms of collecting -- which is how some people think about their games.

So anyway, this blog-like thought is to help some of you come to terms with non-collectors attitudes about us game-hoarders.

Avatar image for waflerevolution
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 121

#2 waflerevolution
Member since 2004 • 10598 Posts

what's left of my collection... is in boxes (hopefully) at my brothers appartment...  don't think I'm a collector anymore :(

I still have the bug though... proof is in the last post in the aquisitions thread...

waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 waflerevolution
I have an anime collection >_
Yagami-Iori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#5 Yagami-Iori
Member since 2003 • 6327 Posts
The only collections that I'm not a fan of are the Complete Collections. It has to do with the fact that I think a game collection is meant to be played and to get a complete game collection, you have to absorb so much crap not worth playing... I just don't get it.
inkwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 inkwolf
Member since 2003 • 1159 Posts

I love meeting people who have "collections" of anything; books, movies, arrow-heads, stamps, paintings, etc. I have a feeling that I can respect and relate with them about their collections in a way that you just can't do with "non-collectors". There's something about the hunt, acquisition, storage, defense of, and upkeep of the whole thing any collector can sympathize with.

I'm kind of surprised that you appear to have viewed this person's book collection from a sort of non-collector's point of view, aspro. If I had overheard that person talking, I think my first thought would have been, "yeah, I get that".

jollyroger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#7 jollyroger78
Member since 2005 • 2551 Posts

The only collections that I'm not a fan of are the Complete Collections. It has to do with the fact that I think a game collection is meant to be played and to get a complete game collection, you have to absorb so much crap not worth playing... I just don't get it.Yagami-Iori

Until you run into someone like me who revels in playing crappy games...

Yagami-Iori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Yagami-Iori

[QUOTE="Yagami-Iori"]The only collections that I'm not a fan of are the Complete Collections. It has to do with the fact that I think a game collection is meant to be played and to get a complete game collection, you have to absorb so much crap not worth playing... I just don't get it.jollyroger78

Own the whole Imagine! series, do ya? :P

jollyroger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#9 jollyroger78
Member since 2005 • 2551 Posts
[QUOTE="jollyroger78"]

[QUOTE="Yagami-Iori"]The only collections that I'm not a fan of are the Complete Collections. It has to do with the fact that I think a game collection is meant to be played and to get a complete game collection, you have to absorb so much crap not worth playing... I just don't get it.Yagami-Iori

Own the whole Imagine! series, do ya? :P

No, but I do have Drake...

waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 waflerevolution
of course "crappy game" is one of those things often called an opinion... and tends to vary person to person... I've never found a (non-sports)game I didn't enjoy.
clubhaxor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 clubhaxor
Member since 2005 • 2482 Posts
Any collection is cool...except anime figures...that's just straaange.
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 waflerevolution

Any collection is cool...except anime figures...that's just straaange. clubhaxor

stop calling me strange v_v

Yagami-Iori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Yagami-Iori

of course "crappy game" is one of those things often called an opinion... and tends to vary person to person... I've never found a (non-sports)game I didn't enjoy.waflerevolution

Kind of part of my point... tere's too much variety in games for any one person to get enjoyment out of them all... then there are just plain broken games that no one could play.

waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 waflerevolution

[QUOTE="waflerevolution"]of course "crappy game" is one of those things often called an opinion... and tends to vary person to person... I've never found a (non-sports)game I didn't enjoy.Yagami-Iori

Kind of part of my point... tere's too much variety in games for any one person to get enjoyment out of them all... then there are just plain broken games that no one could play.

that's not really true... there's a few games... that literally don't work... like chiller, the first release of SNK card battle, the bubble bobble for DS... but... no. you are takig your own opinions to an extreme.

Yagami-Iori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Yagami-Iori
[QUOTE="Yagami-Iori"]

[QUOTE="waflerevolution"]of course "crappy game" is one of those things often called an opinion... and tends to vary person to person... I've never found a (non-sports)game I didn't enjoy.waflerevolution

Kind of part of my point... tere's too much variety in games for any one person to get enjoyment out of them all...then there are just plain broken games that no one could play

that's not really true... there's a few games... that literally don't work... like chiller, the first release of SNK card battle, the bubble bobble for DS... but... no. you are takig your own opinions to an extreme.

Isn't that EXACTLY what I said in my last line, about games literally not working?

Sorry that I have a unique voice and don't spend my posting time stroking your ego.

inkwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 inkwolf

there's a few games... that literally don't work... like chillerwaflerevolution

I don't know what you're talking about... Chiller totally worked for me. :) I played it at a friends house when I was a kid during a sleep-over and we had a blast. I tell ya, when you contrast that against all the other stuff on the NES, it was pretty shocking (in an amusing way).

clubhaxor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 clubhaxor

[QUOTE="clubhaxor"]Any collection is cool...except anime figures...that's just straaange. waflerevolution

Well do you collect the ones with questionable outfits and assuming positions? And the way they talk about them they call them "her" like it's an actual person and think it's hot. :|
clubhaxor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 clubhaxor

of course "crappy game" is one of those things often called an opinion... and tends to vary person to person... I've never found a (non-sports)game I didn't enjoy.waflerevolution

If you have an entire collection there are bound to be some universally recognised crappy games. 

waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 waflerevolution

[QUOTE="waflerevolution"] there's a few games... that literally don't work... like chillerinkwolf

I don't know what you're talking about... Chiller totally worked for me. :) I played it at a friends house when I was a kid during a sleep-over and we had a blast. I tell ya, when you contrast that against all the other stuff on the NES, it was pretty shocking (in an amusing way).

I traded mine to 8bit master becasue I could never get it to work... I could get it to run but the guns never did anything :(

[QUOTE="waflerevolution"]

[QUOTE="clubhaxor"]Any collection is cool...except anime figures...that's just straaange. clubhaxor

Well do you collect the ones with questionable outfits and assuming positions? And the way they talk about them they call them "her" like it's an actual person and think it's hot. :|

that's a whole different thing... 

[QUOTE="waflerevolution"]of course "crappy game" is one of those things often called an opinion... and tends to vary person to person... I've never found a (non-sports)game I didn't enjoy.clubhaxor

If you have an entire collection there are bound to be some universally recognised crappy games. 

universally...  I prefer to think that all games are good... they just need someone to love them.

[QUOTE="waflerevolution"][QUOTE="Yagami-Iori"]

[QUOTE="waflerevolution"]of course "crappy game" is one of those things often called an opinion... and tends to vary person to person... I've never found a (non-sports)game I didn't enjoy.Yagami-Iori

Kind of part of my point... tere's too much variety in games for any one person to get enjoyment out of them all...then there are just plain broken games that no one could play

Isn't that EXACTLY what I said in my last line, about games literally not working?

Sorry that I have a unique voice and don't spend my posting time stroking your ego.

you made it sound more like ones that are just not liked by anyone... and ego? you're the one with the ego... 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 203762174820177760555343052357

Fair enough. But let's take someone like me who pre-orders every single game developed by Grasshopper. I accept that some of the games are not going to be suited to me, but I'm still interested in any game they produce because I'm interested in what they do. Kind of like buying every album by an artist, you are not going to like every song on every album, but the entire collection, when taken in as a whole, says something that only the hit singles taken together do not.

waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 waflerevolution
[QUOTE="Yagami-Iori"]

[QUOTE="waflerevolution"]of course "crappy game" is one of those things often called an opinion... and tends to vary person to person... I've never found a (non-sports)game I didn't enjoy.aspro73

Fair enough. But let's take someone like me who pre-orders every single game developed by Grasshopper. I accept that some of the games are not going to be suited to me, but I'm still interested in any game they produce because I'm interested in what they do. Kind of like buying every album by an artist, you are not going to like every song on every album, but the entire collection, when taken in as a whole, says something that only the hit singles taken together do not.

well said. I applaud this comment... as I looooooove... music.

venus577

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 venus577
Member since 2003 • 1555 Posts

I can generally appreciate any kind of collection... except maybe an anime collection (nothing against you guys!). ;)gakon5
Any collection is cool...except anime figures...that's just straaange. clubhaxor

Am I feeling left out or what? I collect both......

hesel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 hesel
Member since 2006 • 2738 Posts
I get strange looks when I say I have a vinyl collection, as it consists of mostly new bands. I think the main reason is my age most people see people my age as someone who downloads all there music but I rather buy the phyiscal album/single. However it seems that the vinyl has had a resurge in popularity in the UK especially for 7" singles, although not a mass audience still enough for a free online vinyl stores to up and running.
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 waflerevolution

I get strange looks when I say I have a vinyl collection, as it consists of mostly new bands. I think the main reason is my age most people see people my age as someone who downloads all there music but I rather buy the phyiscal album/single. However it seems that the vinyl has had a resurge in popularity in the UK especially for 7" singles, although not a mass audience still enough for a free online vinyl stores to up and running.hesel

I respect that greatly.

castlevaniap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 castlevaniap
Member since 2007 • 683 Posts
I collect frogs (books, bookmarks, frog figures, ect) ...now I am strange :P
clubhaxor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 clubhaxor

I collect frogs (books, bookmarks, frog figures, ect) ...now I am strange :Pcastlevaniap

I am the same way with turtles ;) I have **** loads of turtle stuff :P 

waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 waflerevolution
no collection is strange...
WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9607 Posts

Where as a certain collection may seem weird to some people, to the person collecting, it isn't. So in a way, collecting "anything at all" isn't strange... just misunderstood. LOL

Anyways, I would love to eventually collect the entire NES, SNES, GEN and a few other entire game libraries. Why you ask. Well, just because I can and I want to! Remember, different people like different games, so a game that feels broken to you may be anothers all time favorite game! I also must say, I have NEVER played a game that I didn't enjoy at all! Even if it sucks so bad that all you can do is laugh at it, before never playing it again, it brought you a brief moment of happiness for whatever the reason! 8)

Anyways, I also collect baseball cards, and I have a US coin and paper currency collection. I must say that if I only collected what I liked, then there would be huge gaps in my collections. For example, If you own a silver dollar from each year from 1899 to 2009 minus the 1920-1930 range in my opinion even if I didn't like those years for whatever reason, it just wouldn't feel right....

I guess I am the weird one, but I thought that most collectors would love to have full collection sets eventually.. :?

waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 waflerevolution
well said WW
clubhaxor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 clubhaxor

well said WW*waflerevolution

* here on in refered to as 'Oh-wise-one'. :oops:

waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 waflerevolution
heh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 203762174820177760555343052357
So what is to be said of people who don't collect? Or does everyone collect in some kind of way?
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 waflerevolution

So what is to be said of people who don't collect? Or does everyone collect in some kind of way?aspro73

everyone collects something... some people just don't admit it... or know it...

venus577

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 venus577
Member since 2003 • 1555 Posts
[QUOTE="venus577"]

[QUOTE="gakon5"]I can generally appreciate any kind of collection... except maybe an anime collection (nothing against you guys!). ;)gakon5

Am I feeling left out or what? I collect both......

Ahh, I don't mean to pick on. We're all geeks anyway. It's a community thing.

It's cool. I'm just poking fun.

totalgridlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#36 totalgridlock
Member since 2004 • 1269 Posts

[QUOTE="aspro73"]So what is to be said of people who don't collect? Or does everyone collect in some kind of way?waflerevolution

It's true. My mum collects plastic carrier bags and keeps them organised by size and handle strength in the cupboard under the stairs. I applaud her for it.

I, on the other hand, prefer to stick to games, films, books, music and elephants.

waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 waflerevolution
[QUOTE="waflerevolution"]

[QUOTE="aspro73"]So what is to be said of people who don't collect? Or does everyone collect in some kind of way?totalgridlock

It's true. My mum collects plastic carrier bags and keeps them organised by size and handle strength in the cupboard under the stairs. I applaud her for it.

I, on the other hand, prefer to stick to games, films, books, music and elephants.

which are all good in my book. I collect all those except books and elephants... elephants tend to take up a lot of space... and are messy... and that pink one only I can see.... well.... that's just a whole 'nother story...

inkwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 inkwolf
This threw me for a loop the other day. My wife has a new friend who collects vintage perfume. Vintage perfume. Like from the twenties and earlier. Not necessarily the bottles, but the perfume itself. She knows all the old companies, product lines, ingredients, etc. Think about that; it's basically someone who collects scents. Just to clarify, I'm not knocking it, on the contrary, I think it's pretty cool. It's just something I never even considered before. Crazy.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 203762174820177760555343052357
^Yeah, when you think about saving scents, that's a pretty cool concept. IMExp though old perfumes all breakdown until they smell like oil, but maybe on the high-end stuff she collects that is not the case.
GAMECAMILLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#40 GAMECAMILLER
Member since 2005 • 4994 Posts

[QUOTE="aspro73"]So what is to be said of people who don't collect? Or does everyone collect in some kind of way?waflerevolution

That's VERY true. I think it's just part of human nature to collect something.