gmsnpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 gmsnpr
Member since 2004 • 4242 Posts
I have a spare discs-only copy of the original Night Trap for the Sega CD that I want to give to the person who makes the best Halloween-themed contribution to the Union between now and November 1. Wafle's main page article is going to be stiff competition, but the contribution can be anything Halloween-related, like collecting scary games, being scared by a game, a good campfire story, or anything else that fits the bill. As in the previous giveaway, I'm going to be the judge of the winner.
Avatar image for 203762174820177760555343052357

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 203762174820177760555343052357
Member since 2005 • 7599 Posts
You mean some lucky and talented contestent is going to win a discs-only version of the Sega CD classic Night Trap, starring TV's Dana Plato from the hit series Diff'rent Strokes?

That's cool.

Avatar image for waflerevolution
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 121

#3 waflerevolution
Member since 2004 • 10598 Posts
You mean some lucky and talented contestent is going to win a discs-only version of the Sega CD classic Night Trap, starring TV's Dana Plato from the hit series Diff'rent Strokes?

That's cool.

aspro73
LOL I'm so excited!
gmsnpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 gmsnpr

Wow, this put the brakes on rather than hit the gas in here.  Maybe if the the game were better, rather than symbolic...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 203762174820177760555343052357

Wow, this put the brakes on rather than hit the gas in here. Maybe if the the game were better, rather than symbolic...
gmsnpr

I think it's a confluence of things.  There are a lot of good games out right now and a lot of people are gaming, football season is a distraction for a lot of people (not me), people are screwed because of daylight saving time changing (at least where I am), not many people have a Sega CD, people are getting ready for halloween, changes in demographics, more cable channel options, lower gas prices lead to people going to the movies more, so forth and so on...

I did not submit anything becuase I am basically exhausted... but I bet I'll submit something later today.

waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 waflerevolution
Don't get me wrong, I was being serious. I acctually want it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 203762174820177760555343052357
In the meanwhile, here is a good article on how to make 'fear' in a game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 203762174820177760555343052357
Gather round, fellow collectors, while I share with ye:

On this hallow's eve, prepare while I share these true tales of nightmarish collecting encounters, all true, all experienced by Aspro73, a man, who, while he may have survived in flesh, has a soul, fetid and torn by his experiences...

One day, while on Ebay, I bought a copy of Rayman for the Saturn. I did not read the details, and woe betide the outcome, once it arrived it had a case, yes it's true the back insert was intact, BUT there was nary an instruction manual to be found...

From this same place, this Ebay, I also once, while distracted by the spirits of liquor, bid Buy It Now $125 for Suikoden II. Just moments later, shaken with remorse, I noticed that I had purchased it from a party that did not accept PayPal or similar means of payment. The seller also had not a single sale to his name. With sweaty palms, I begged the young seller to forgive and forget rather than have me send $125 in money orders into the void. The beast relented, but wounded forever, I am now forced to check the terms of payment before bidding...

Dear listener, I know you grow doubtful and weary of these tales, surely a man could not have lived these things and survived to tell the tale, but as sure as my avatar stares blankly at you, 'tis true.

Once, a lent out a copy of Quake for the N64 to a friend. She never made it back to safe harbor. With all my might I asked to borrow his copy of Mega Man 8 for the PS1. My grip has not let go of that title after 5 years, and it will not loosen until Quake is returned.

Finally, I will tell of a tale that the strongest willed of you will not be able to stomach. Leave this thread now, if you have a weak constitution, your well-being will not be on my head as you take in this last tale.

On a hot and sweaty day in Southern California, I took to the web, returning back to the site of my horrors from years passed -- Ebay. I bid on an Atari 5200, my white whale. When the system arrived I was in awe, truly this was the father of XBOX. Large and black, four controller ports to be had. American. I plugged her in and nothing happened. Lacking, as it was, any kind of power light 'twas hard to know if it were the AV or the power. Plucking up my courage I bought a new AV switch for it from Ebay, plunging more dollars into it's hungry mouth. Nothing. I plunged more money in the beasts mouth, buying a power supply. Nothing. The beast did not murmur, not move... To this day he lurks in a closet in my study, mocking me with mint copies of Mario Bros, Centipede and Popeye, daring me to spend more, more money on bringing him to life... I hear his siren-like beckon and to Home Depot I go, for a voltometer... This tale will go without finish this hallow's eve.

gmsnpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gmsnpr
Now, that's getting into the spirit, Aspro. Though, I must now tell you a tale so shocking, so foul and horrifiying, that it has haunted me to this day. To begin our tale, we must travel back in time to my childhood.

Though I have no siblings and grew up in the country, I had friends and neighbors that would come to visit me or that I would go to visit, but one such friend was...different...than the rest. He was a dark, brooding kid, with beetling brows, a penchant for violent outburts and he liked knifes just a little too much. So, we became friends and stayed so for years. When I, in a flurry of insanity, decided to sell my video game collection, it was he who expressed an interest in acquiring it. Eager interest, that at the time confused me. We agreed upon a price for all of my boxed, complete Sega stuff: SMS, 3-D glasses, launch Genesis, launch Sega CD, dozens of games, and all of my game magazines, and he took possession of it all.

Years later, I met up with my old friend and I asked about buying back some of my old games for nostalgia's sake. He said that he had sold some of them, but that I was welcome to have what was left. He disappeared into the bowels of his dank lair, and when he returned, he was carrying a severed Power Base Converter and 3 label-damaged SMS carts. Shaking, I took them out of his hands and asked about the boxes and manuals. In an otherworldly howl, he told me that his little sister had used some as coloring books and the rest had gone in the trash.

The rest of the day was a mystery to me; I don't remember how I returned home, but I woke up in my own bed to something sharp poking me in the back; I reached behind me and found that it was the broken earpiece from a pair of 3-D glasses.

I screamed myself awake and saw that there was some dried blood under my fingernails. The newspapers and police reports told me the rest.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 203762174820177760555343052357
a tale so shocking...gmsnpr

That's creepy.
guslan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 guslan
Member since 2004 • 457 Posts

Fear not reader, this tale of fear and despair is here written not to frighten thou, but to share the psychological scars that I could not carry alone... not anymore.

I believe this story is so disturbing that I should disturb it's narration by telling the awful faith one of my loves suffered at the end of this series of unf... no no no, I'm NOT saying that sentence.

aaaaaaaaaaaaa, I'm not in the mood to finish the story today

PART 2 COMING SOON

CodingGenius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#12 CodingGenius
Member since 2004 • 8118 Posts
Gather round, ye who dare enter here, for I shall tell a tale unlike any ye have heard before...

There was a young lass, not much older than ye are now, who had a vacation.  Now this was a very special trip, because it was the first one she had taken without work in many a year.  Some say it was 5 years, some say 10.  Who knows but the wind?

On this trip, the lass knew that she was going to need games.  Games were in her blood like salt is in the sea.  She found a small arcade, one that had been around since electricity had been invented.  This arcade had new games and old.  Original Galaga, Hogan's Alley, Ms. Pac Man Cabela's Big Game Hunt, Point Blank...  It was like Nirvana for the lass.  She took a crisp $20 up to the cashier and asked for two rolls of quarters.  The cashier eyed her suspiciously, wondering whether to bestow upon her the tools needed to satisfy her yearning.  With a roll of the eyes, the two heavy cylinders of tokens were in her hand, ready to play.

She walked up to Hogan's Alley, a Nintendo machine not often seen in the wild in the modern age.  Long thought extinct, except in rare collections, she relished the opportunity to shoot the red haired and bowler hatted thugs.  Putting tokens in, she picked up the gun and it molded in her hand like a lost friend.  The level began, and the red haired villan appeared, ready to shoot her in the chest.  Quickly, she drew her weapon and fired.  No noise.  The felon shot her dead.  The next villan appeared, she shot again.  Nothing.  Not even the familiar flash upon the screen.  The machine was broken.

Not one to give up, she walked over to Galaga and dropped in a token.  Ready to kill the vacuum beam shooting space station and noisy bees, she readied herself.  As soon as the level began, her ship moved to the right of the screen.  She pushed the joystick left.  The ship would not move.  It stayed in the right hand corner, attacked by bees.  Death came swiftly for the lass, who realized that this machine, too, was broken.

"Perhaps it is the age of these machines," she thought.  "I should find a newer one."  No sooner than had the thought surfaced, she found herself in front of Cabela's Big Game Hunter.  Not her favorite game, certainly not.  But, a light gun game with great potential, nonetheless.  She grabbed the shotgun and aimed, shooting at the easiest mission.  She was worried as soon as she saw that, despite her aim, the most difficult mission had been chosen.  As her prey crossed the screen, she took aim and attacked mercilessly.  According to the game, she was shooting into the sky.  The aim on the gun was completely random, ruining any chances of eliminating the big game threats that lay ahead.

"WHHHHHYYYYYYYY!"  she screamed into the air, the cashier and few kids playing Skee-Ball turning to look.  She took the tokens back to the cashier, looking for a fair exchange.  The cashier looked glumly at her, a small grin escaping from her frightened lips.  He pointed to the sign above that said "No Token Refunds".

I warned you it would be a tale that you would not soon forget...
gmsnpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 gmsnpr
Chilling, CG.  I like that one.
inkwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 inkwolf
Member since 2003 • 1159 Posts

Think you know scary games? See if you can recognize these games from the spooky faces on their cover art! (Images link to full images of the game covers.)

inkwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 inkwolf
(You can consider the above my contribution.  :P  Better late than never, eh?)
gmsnpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 gmsnpr
(You can consider the above my contribution. :P Better late than never, eh?)inkwolf

Cool.  I could only correctly name 10 w/o peeking, and I even own some of the ones that I missed.
inkwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 inkwolf

Cool.  I could only correctly name 10 w/o peeking, and I even own some of the ones that I missed.gmsnpr

I admit, if I wasn't the one that put this together, I might have only been able to get six or seven.  A lot of them should be really easy, the faces are instantly recognizable, but without more to go by than just a face, its hard to place the game. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 203762174820177760555343052357
[QUOTE="inkwolf"](You can consider the above my contribution. :P Better late than never, eh?)gmsnpr

Cool. I could only correctly name 10 w/o peeking, and I even own some of the ones that I missed.

Wow, that's a great submission. But, I could only get 4 of them :(
CodingGenius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 CodingGenius
I really liked inkwolf's game. It brought back a lot of memories.
gamefreak1972

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 gamefreak1972
Member since 2004 • 598 Posts

Fabulous topic guys :)  I wish I'd been online a couple days ago to see this topic (I might have given you guys some competition for Night Trap ;) )  but between school, and that my sweetie and I picked Halloween as our anniversary date (neither of us can remember exactly when we started dating, but we do remember going to a halloween party toegther and its out fav holiday, so....)  I've been a bit distracted of late...

But anyway, I was torn between posting two things here anyway:  I DID have a list dedicated to horror games, which I would gladly plagurize for your amusement....if I could find the silly thing. I plan on looking for it still, and if I can find it I'll copy and post it; but in the meantime I feel I must share one of my best horror-game moments with you....:)

A few years ago, I shared living quarters with my dear friend Lisa.  Lisa and I were, indeed, alike in our mutal love for video games.  Prior to our meeting, she had preferred such amusements as Mario Kart, Tomb Raider and other T rated subjects at best.  I fear I must have had a somewhat dark influence over her, for it was I that brought her round to the realms of Resident Evil, Clock Tower and Silent Hill. My influence was gradual at first, she would watch me play in much the same way she would watch a horror film.  But then, one day, by accident or design I did not feel like continuing onward after a particularly gruesome demise, and her growing curiosity drove her to find out what happens next - and pick up the controller and take on the ghouls, zombies and demons herself....and now I, Priestess of Survival Horror, could sit back and watch my young apprentice battle the pixelated hordes (not to mention help myself to some of her munchies what she was thus engrossed :) ).  I thought my mission was complete, having recuited yet another to the ways of survival horror...but the gods of gaming were kind, and granted me also a sign of their favor, their pleasure at their new disciple which I must here relate.  A new addiction, a new evil had been recently released for the Gamecube - many know it as REmake!  The days following its release into the general public I had this juicy morsel all to myself, as my dear companion was in the middle of examinations.  By the end of the week I had completely mastered this title, and I was ready to turn the controller to my comrade.  Ah, false confidence! Alas foolish pride!  She had beaten the original Resident Evil (and beaten it well I must say!) but she believed REmake to be little more than a retouched, beautified version of the original!  She did not heed my warnings concerning the changes made!  In her arrogance, running about the mansion, she stumbled across the bird-pecked corpse of Forrest.  Poor Forrest, who in all of her previous plays had lain still and inanimate, a mute testimony to the gamemakers graphic art.  But THIS time....oh joyous occasion - THIS TIME was different.  In her blind innocence, she ran forward to retrieve the items by poor, inanimate Forrests Body - who was inanimate no longer!   To my dear friends shock and horror, Forrest rose and lunged for her!  My dear friend (who was sitting on the floor whilst she manuvered her avatar and shot zombies) screamed, cast the controller down and scooted backwards away (on her rear I might add) from the television, away from Forrest.  Consequently, her avatar was soon no more at the hands of Forrest, while I cackled in maniacal glee at her fate (despite some truely dirty looks from what might now be my former dear friend).  Yes, the gods of gaming did indeed grant me a blessing, allowing me to witness such a scene!  Forever ingrained my mind is the image of my dear friend screaming and scooting backwards across the floor! LOL! Hail Capcom! ROTFLMAO! Ai Cthulu....wait, that was a Betheseda title! Blasphemy....! Oh sh....aaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh*CRUNCH*

gmsnpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 gmsnpr
Well,

I have weighed the entries, and I think that the most innovative one was the scary game photo montage from inkwolf, who receives this year's Halloween Prize, a copy of Night Trap on the Sega CD, a game that is scary in both its content and its presentation, but I digress.  Congratulations and good work, inkwolf.  If you would be so kind as to PM me an appropriate shipping addresss, I'll get this out to you ASAP.
gamefreak1972

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 gamefreak1972
Member since 2004 • 598 Posts
Woooot Inkwolf! :)
inkwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 inkwolf

(Bah! Double post glitchiness.)

inkwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 inkwolf
I'm truly honored.  All the entries were fabulous.  ^_^
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 waflerevolution
I'm truly honored. All the entries were fabulous. ^_^inkwolf
congritleations.
Sonicgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 Sonicgod
Member since 2003 • 967 Posts
I have never played any of these sega cd full motion video games and that must be why I love my sega CD's but I missed the contest. I wanted the famous night trap.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 203762174820177760555343052357
I have never played any of these sega cd full motion video games and that must be why I love my sega CD's but I missed the contest. I wanted the famous night trap.Sonicgod
You gotta hang out with us at the CCU more man, you never know what will happen. Congrats Inkwolf -- that was a lot of work.
CodingGenius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 CodingGenius
Congrats, inkwolf!  Well deserved!