Need some help with my broken Megadrive/Genesis.

anton10000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 0

#1 anton10000
Member since 2004 • 1064 Posts
Its a Model II. I was playing a game, switched if off, changed game, switched it back on, and I get nothing! I did absolutely nothing to the system. Does anyone have any advice?
Avatar image for 203762174820177760555343052357

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 203762174820177760555343052357
Member since 2005 • 7599 Posts

I hate to say it, but if you have not already please check the AV cables and power cables at the back. It sounds dumb, but sometimes if they weren't put in completely with pulling the console forward and slight movement they could have come loose. After 20 years in I.T. I found it's always the obvious stuff you check first.

Onto the next step, how about the power light?

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

You know it could be something as simple as the power source. You might want to try and kink the cord in different places with the power on to see if you can see the power light for a brief second or two! The same thing happened to my NES top loader, that's what I did, found it was nothing serious and saved myself a bit of cash by just purchasing a new power source. If you don't smell anything hot, like it is fried, then chances are it is just that! You might also want to check your AV cord as well if you only lost the picture, that is an even cheaper fix! If those don't solve the problem, chances are your Genesis went to video game heaven! Instead of getting it professionaly fixed it would prolly be cheaper to just get a new one! 8)

Also, check (if you have a surge protector) to make sure that source is turned on! I have two cats and was about to throw my PS2 through the window until I noticed that the power light for the source wasn't on! Guess one of the cats jumped on it!!! :lol:

Paully3433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Paully3433
Member since 2006 • 1030 Posts

Also, check (if you have a surge protector) to make sure that source is turned on! I have two cats and was about to throw my PS2 through the window until I noticed that the power light for the source wasn't on! Guess one of the cats jumped on it!!! :lol:

WitIsWisdom

Another reason to get rid of cats off the planet Earth, send them to the moon or mars but GTFO our planet kitties!

Anyways, if those dont work try it with the game it worked last with. If none of those things work mentioned above its probably something inside

Avatar image for waflerevolution
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 121

#5 waflerevolution
Member since 2004 • 10598 Posts
[QUOTE="WitIsWisdom"]

Paully3433

Another reason to get rid of cats off the planet Earth, send them to the moon or mars but GTFO our planet kitties!

Anyways, if those dont work try it with the game it worked last with. If none of those things work mentioned above its probably something inside

*beats you with tire iron*

next time you insult cats it'll be a mace. and the spikes WILL be poisioned.

totalgridlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#6 totalgridlock
Member since 2004 • 1269 Posts
[QUOTE="WitIsWisdom"]

Paully3433

*hiss* *claw* *hiss*

Anyway, I'd agree with all the usual: check all your cables, try turning it off and on a few times (ever watch The IT Crowd? :D), wiggle all the wires and try with a different power supply and wall socket if you can.

On a general note, if people don't have surge protectors I'd highly recommend them. I have good quality ones on all my stuff: TVs, stereos, PCs, consoles. It's just leftover paranoia from living in houses with shoddy wiring, but it can't hurt to be careful.

I use these, they're great cos you can pass network cables through them too. I'm sure someone can recommend an over-the-pond version too.

Paully3433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Paully3433
Member since 2006 • 1030 Posts
[QUOTE="Paully3433"][QUOTE="WitIsWisdom"]

waflerevolution

Let me explain.

My dad and step mom have always had cats, no biggie, I have liked some of them. Until one day she picked a kitten up off the road in the country. Turns out the stupid thing wasnt really a nice pet kitty, it was wild. They still have it and it seems to like to pee on everything that smells like me or my dad. Our clothes, jackets, even if i stay up at there place for the weekend, he will go in and pee on the sheets and comforter. Hes fixed and everything to. So thats why i hate cats. Cat pee is gross. No offence but they suck for the most part :)

Avatar image for waflerevolution
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 121

#8 waflerevolution
Member since 2004 • 10598 Posts
[QUOTE="waflerevolution"][QUOTE="Paully3433"][QUOTE="WitIsWisdom"]

Paully3433

Let me explain.

My dad and step mom have always had cats, no biggie, I have liked some of them. Until one day she picked a kitten up off the road in the country. Turns out the stupid thing wasnt really a nice pet kitty, it was wild. They still have it and it seems to like to pee on everything that smells like me or my dad. Our clothes, jackets, even if i stay up at there place for the weekend, he will go in and pee on the sheets and comforter. Hes fixed and everything to. So thats why i hate cats. Cat pee is gross. No offence but they suck for the most part :)

my cat peed on everythig too... but he was old and had diabeties. and you know what... you suck :-p and your mom sucks :-p

venus577

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 venus577
Member since 2003 • 1555 Posts
[QUOTE="waflerevolution"][QUOTE="Paully3433"][QUOTE="WitIsWisdom"]

Paully3433

Let me explain.

You're right, cat pee is gross. My parents had a cat similar to that one when I was growing up. It peed on everything. I lost some cherished Nintendo Power magazines from the 8-bit/16-bit days because he peed on them. He even peed on me once!

All that never made me stop caring about him. My parents eventually broke him of that habbit. It took a long time and a combination of various treatments (Valium, strict disipline, restricted house acces when we were away, etc).