afjkidd5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 afjkidd5
Member since 2007 • 112 Posts

It always seems that when I am faced with burning game questions that I can find out some great info on this board. This question is aimed at those of you who are Neo Geo AES collectors or those who are familiar with them. A couple of summers ago I purchased a Neo CD and have enjoyed it a lot. I have come to the point where I want to take the plunge into AES territory and I am almost prepared to do so. I have priced a lot of them on eBay and have found a lot of good starting units to choose from. The issue that I am facing is whether or not it is really worth owning an AES due to the expense that one must face while collecting the games.

I can say right now that I am not one of those guys that has tons of cash, so I won't be throwing down $12,000 on Kizuna Encounter or $2,000 on Metal Slug no matter how cool it would be to have them. I have found a lot of games that are priced in my range that greatly interest me, so there should be no shortage in what I can get over time. My plan is to collect the AES versions of more affordable games and the CD versions of the more expensive ones in order to get a little bang for my buck. I was wondering if those of you out there that are familiar wiith the system would provide some advice on whether or not I should delve into the AES market or just save cash and add a lot to my CD collection. To provide a little perspective on the matter, I probably will be able to afford the AES and about 6 to 7 reasonably priced games over the course of the summer. Should I take the plunge or play it safe with the CDs? Sorry for the rambling. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Avatar image for 203762174820177760555343052357

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 203762174820177760555343052357
Member since 2005 • 7599 Posts

Speaking for myself, I have found owning and playing a NEO GEO to be extremely satisfying.  Even the mediocre games are fun to play, the NEOGEO really does re-create that feel of the arcades in your own home (really).  I have not got a great collection, I think about 10 games, but I play those games all the time -- and my wife likes them as well.

Prices appear to have come down recently for games, and yoyu can get many accessories cheaper by importing them from Japan. So if you have the dough go ahead -- it's one of my top 4 gaming systems (out of 35+). 

Yagami-Iori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#3 Yagami-Iori
Member since 2003 • 6327 Posts
If you want to move into the cart territory with Neo Geo, I'd reall recommend getting a Converted Multi Video System (CMVS) or get an AES and a Super Convertor II. I recommend thiis, because then you can have a system you can hook up to your TV and be able to get th MVS games, which are in almost all cases, much cheaper then their AES counterpart. Either that or just get a full cab an play MVS games that way.
killeer2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 killeer2007
Member since 2004 • 793 Posts

If you want to move into the cart territory with Neo Geo, I'd reall recommend getting a Converted Multi Video System (CMVS) or get an AES and a Super Convertor II. I recommend thiis, because then you can have a system you can hook up to your TV and be able to get th MVS games, which are in almost all cases, much cheaper then their AES counterpart. Either that or just get a full cab an play MVS games that way.Yagami-Iori

I would also recommend getting a converter that lets you play MVS carts on a NG AES, and if I remember correctly I think they sell some kind of bios chip or something that you can mod you AES with, I forget what it does though.

afjkidd5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 afjkidd5
I really appreciate the responses. I think I am going to go ahead and get the AES. I have always wanted one and I don't want to waste the opportunity.
gmsnpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 gmsnpr
Member since 2004 • 4242 Posts

Some of the low-end AES games are going to be very similar to the CD release, so I would not consider getting anything you've already got on disc.  I happen to have The Super Spy on both formats, and after the ROM rip, they play identically.

I enjoy my Neo when I get it out, but the system has a high cost of comfortable ownership, that is not reflected in the purchase price. 

• The controller cables are very short, so you'd benefit from a couple of extension cables at $25 apiece.
  • The system outputs video as RCA format and the sound is mono, both situations that you can rectify for a couple hundred dollars.
  • If you plan to save your progress in any game, that requires a memory card for another $30.
  • If you go the cheap route and get a Japanese system, all titles will play in Japanese (not ideal for me); this is correctable by installing a BIOS chip for another $75 or so.

I have probably spent ~$600 on my AES piecemeal: purchase price + hardware upgrades + semi-necessary accessories, which is the highest of any of my systems, save the PC. 

I've been trying to bring myself to buy an MVS adaptor, but I've got a Supergun and some MVS boards, so it seems like a waste for me, but if I didn't have a Supergun, I'd be much more inclined to get one.

hart704

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hart704
Member since 2004 • 2994 Posts
I don't have any experience with the Neo Geo, but I did want to point out YouTube user lukemorse1 who has three arcade cabs and most of those games are MVS.
cosmostein77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 102

#8 cosmostein77
Member since 2004 • 7043 Posts

The Neo Geo CD is a pretty good starting point to determine if its worthwhile for you to take the next step to AES territory.

I am not sure about everyone else, but I have a front loading Neo CD. The killer is that the load-times are unreal and if anything that is perhaps the only think that for me took awat from the Neo CD experience, however if you found that to be a non-factor then moving to the AES is really a no-brainer if you have the scratch to make it worth your while.

I do agree with the above comments that cable extensions are a MUST unless you enjoy childhood memories of sitting on the floor inches from the TV set. 

Just for the fighting games, IMHO its SOOOOOO worth it.  

sanctuary13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 sanctuary13
Member since 2007 • 467 Posts

Dig my post:

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/unions/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=26023266&union_id=859

covers a decent amount

afjkidd5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 afjkidd5
I actually did go ahead and pick up an AES and some games. I'll give the full details in the New Acquisitions thread.
GAMECAMILLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#11 GAMECAMILLER
Member since 2005 • 4994 Posts
I actually did go ahead and pick up an AES and some games. I'll give the full details in the New Acquisitions thread.afjkidd5
That's awesome. It's a system I'd love to own as well...but money wise, i'm just not confortable yet to pay out. Maybe one day. :)
Yagami-Iori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#12 Yagami-Iori
Member since 2003 • 6327 Posts

[QUOTE="afjkidd5"]I actually did go ahead and pick up an AES and some games. I'll give the full details in the New Acquisitions thread.GAMECAMILLER
That's awesome. It's a system I'd love to own as well...but money wise, i'm just not confortable yet to pay out. Maybe one day. :)

Seriously GAMECAMILLER, if you're looking to go Neo Geo, go MVS. Even if you don't have room for a cabinet, at LEAST get a consolized motherboard and get those carts. Most of the MVS cart are WAY cheaper than their AES counterparts.

Protip - Avoid the seller Neotropolis on eBay, his prices are jacked up through the roof.