Microsoft is alienating developers in droves...

Avatar image for waflerevolution
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 121

User Lists: 0

#1 waflerevolution
Member since 2004 • 10598 Posts

This is an actual post from Hidden Path Entertainment staff member (a Valve owned company)

In talking with several indie devs, many are having issues with Xbox as well - though often different issues. I'm not sure you're going to see as many games coming to the Xbox 360 download channel as we used to. Many are migrating to Steam as their primary channel for release.

Jeff  jeffpobst

also, in a related note, if you bought the Defense Grid game for the 360, you can get a free Steam download key from HPE in their forums.

anyway, it seems I was 100% correct about the new dashboard though... sadly... as that's the reason behind these problems.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

whats the issue with ms anyway?

waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 waflerevolution

Oh, sorry, I really should have ellaborated that... the newest dashboard caused problems for not pre-existing games but games in development. Hidden Path's "Defense Grid"was almost completly destroyed by it in fact. not for 100% of people, but a large enough amount of them... anyway, after spending what is now 5 months getting no where with Microsoft, even Microsoft admitted there's nothing they can do about it. HPE has tried writing patches for the problems 5 times with no luck... the last one fixed the achievements for a percentage of the broken percentage.

Anyway, the point is, the dashboard update has problems. not just visually, but technologically. to the point where game deveopers have decided to slow down or stop all togeather releasing games on the 360's DLC market. 

someNONSENSE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 someNONSENSE
Member since 2006 • 1404 Posts
What does the new dash board have to do with games functioning? I don't get it.
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 waflerevolution

What does the new dash board have to do with games functioning? I don't get it.someNONSENSE

The dashboard is like the operating system for PCs. it controls all the base-code for the consoles. All the back-end stuff is always there. it's not a simple "put-disc-in-to-play" thing... the hard-coding is in the software that the dashboard is in control of. On that note, it's also how they keep pirates and modders at bay... at least for the most part... but on the same hand, it's running at least 2 more data collection bugs than it used to... it used to only run 1 and when kinect came, it was running 2 (unless you turn off the kinect data collection option)but now, it looks like it's running at least 3 total with the kinect option off... I can't find any other ones but that doesn't mean they aren't there... it's also irrelevent to your question... sorry about that...

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jsmoke03

unfortunate,but only a minority will even notice the problem

waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 waflerevolution
like anyone who owns Defense Grid or about 35 different Indie games or about 12 other XBLA games... you are right however, people don't care about important things anymore... they are too busy with facebook and twitter to care about anything...
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 waflerevolution
relevent video from gamespot.
someNONSENSE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 someNONSENSE
Member since 2006 • 1404 Posts
Wafle, I have come around to your point of view on this latest dashboard. At first I thought it was good, but lately it has been really annoying me. It literally takes 2-3 minutes after clicking on the Netflix "App" before even the red Netflix screen appears. I have noticed also that with the new dashboard, I miss a lot of the things I used to like about the 360 dashboard. I don't watch Inside Xbox anymore for example. It is hidden somewhere.. :?
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 waflerevolution

Wafle, I have come around to your point of view on this latest dashboard. At first I thought it was good, but lately it has been really annoying me. It literally takes 2-3 minutes after clicking on the Netflix "App" before even the red Netflix screen appears. I have noticed also that with the new dashboard, I miss a lot of the things I used to like about the 360 dashboard. I don't watch Inside Xbox anymore for example. It is hidden somewhere.. :?someNONSENSE

it was cancelled. All the 360 shows that were made by MS were. without warning or any news they were just cancelled and all the "actors" weren't even allowed to talk about it. I love the 360, I love it's library of games and a lot of its features, but it's de-evolving just like the PC thanks to poor corporate decisions. I also have the netflix issue.

KGKaiju

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 KGKaiju
Member since 2010 • 861 Posts
Man.....I know how much both of you like XBLA games and am sorry to hear that the dashboard is causing problems.  Hopefully Microsoft will fix the problem.
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 waflerevolution

Microsoft IS the problem. lol it's sad but true. it's still a great platform, but business sometimes gets in the way of functionality... like Windows 7... and the new MS Word, Ms Paint and all the other MS programs that are now so ridiculously and unnecessarily complicated/convoluted...

Still, I'd rather pay for their services than Sony's at this point. I'm sick of Sony's shannanigans with stuff you have to pay for... bad track record there...

KGKaiju

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 KGKaiju
Member since 2010 • 861 Posts

Microsoft IS the problem. lol it's sad but true. it's still a great platform, but business sometimes gets in the way of functionality... like Windows 7... and the new MS Word, Ms Paint and all the other MS programs that are now so ridiculously and unnecessarily complicated/convoluted...

Still, I'd rather pay for their services than Sony's at this point. I'm sick of Sony's shannanigans with stuff you have to pay for... bad track record there...

waflerevolution

I have decided to stick with Vista as long as possible and my versions of MS programs like Word and Paint are quite old.  Sometimes progress is actually a backward step.  I am glad that I didn't make the change.

waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 waflerevolution
sometimes I think their commercials about a 4 year old making them... are true... and not in a good way...
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jsmoke03

the fez debacle is another one ill chalk up to ms though it isn't a dashboard problem

waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 waflerevolution
not specifically... but the operating system is the root cause. still, it is them alienating developers.
cosmostein77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 102

#17 cosmostein77
Member since 2004 • 7043 Posts

On the topic of Microsoft; (Rant Warning)

I have never seen such a fall from grace in my lifetime, normally concoles come out and are either fairly successful or not and rarely (till a new console from the same mothership) do we see a significant drop off from the console. 

360 has just floored me with what has been allowed to occur over the last few years. 

Not only did 360 have a hefty headstart over PS3, but PS3 didn't have any great games out of the gate. I remember playing basically Warhawk and Heavenly Sword and that was it till we started see the Sony folks place a premium on exclusive content. 

MS had Halo, Gears, Forza, Bioshock, Mass Effect, etc as heavy hitting console exclusives and then lost two of them and made no effort to expand its branding whatsoever.

My PS3 would go months on end without seeing a game inside it; now its the only place I can play Uncharted, Infamous, Journey, basically any RPG or Stat game. 

I cannot believe how different the console landscape is today as opposed to just two years ago. 

waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 waflerevolution

I partly agree with that... they have been far too focused on pushing their non-game features and have even gone as far as to add advirtisements to gold members of all ages... but there's still a decent library on both consoles... I will be playing the 360 and PS3 long after they aren't current... unless they lock them from functioning... which, sadly, I can see happening...