if you (like me) are having troubles with the forum here, use this simple trick.

Avatar image for waflerevolution
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 121

User Lists: 0

#1 waflerevolution
Member since 2004 • 10598 Posts

use this url instead -
http://www.gamespot.com/forums/board/909106462/candid-conversation

it's the gamespot default forum url... it uses less html and works a heck of a lot better... I havn't even been able to access the other version on either of my PCs over the last few days...

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

use this url instead -
http://www.gamespot.com/forums/board/909106462/candid-conversation

it's the gamespot default forum url... it uses less html and works a heck of a lot better... I havn't even been able to access the other version on either of my PCs over the last few days...

waflerevolution
access as in a lot of oops! or it would block you from the site?
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 waflerevolution

a lot of oops or just not loading past a white page... many refreshes... and some bonks...

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jsmoke03

ya this site has been pissing me off. it makes me want to find another gaming site...but i dont want to go to ign....the site is competent but the people that review games there are noobs IMO

waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 waflerevolution

IGN changes how the site works too often... I used to use both sites...

someNONSENSE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 someNONSENSE
Member since 2006 • 1404 Posts

Thanks for this URL Wafle. I have been having trouble even loading the page to see what you had to say.

I also used to have my games listed on IGN, but eventually gave up completely on the site when they changed the way you add games to your collection..

waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 waflerevolution

that's when I stopped too... it got so complicated... needlessly... I knew that would be an issue as well, I just didn't know how else to do it... I guess... I'll post the url as the topic.

waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 waflerevolution

I take it back, GS's silly rules prevent using URLs in the topics... this site is so doomed... it's the most poorly run, crappily maintained site on the entire internet...

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jsmoke03

yea i can't find another website where game collections matter. any suggestions? i'm really getting tired of gs...

waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 waflerevolution

I wish there was a way to get everyone from here to move to proboards or something... anything but facebook.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9477 Posts

Here is something kind of funny that is 100% related to this post. Last night I was trying to get into the CCU and I could only get as far as seeing the threads (after trying like 100 times), then after I could see this thread basically saying "click here for an easy fix to make the forums work" I kept getting the white ERRR 500 screen or whatever it is... lol

Irony at its finest.. getting an error trying to get into the page showing how NOT to get the error.. lmao.. I dont know if anybody else thinks this is a little funny or not, but looking back now it is funny as hell to me.

Anyways though I have been having MAJOR problems all the way around in this site... it is getting pretty frustrating.

Do you know any tricks for the rest of the site? lol

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jsmoke03

Here is something kind of funny that is 100% related to this post. Last night I was trying to get into the CCU and I could only get as far as seeing the threads (after trying like 100 times), then after I could see this thread basically saying "click here for an easy fix to make the forums work" I kept getting the white ERRR 500 screen or whatever it is... lol

Irony at its finest.. getting an error trying to get into the page showing how NOT to get the error.. lmao.. I dont know if anybody else thinks this is a little funny or not, but looking back now it is funny as hell to me.

Anyways though I have been having MAJOR problems all the way around in this site... it is getting pretty frustrating.

Do you know any tricks for the rest of the site? lol

WitIsWisdom
lol ive had that happen before....no tricks...i just push back on the browser and reclick the page or link i want to go on...it works pretty well with google chrome...don't know if browsers matter
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 waflerevolution

someone with majot hacking sklls should just completely kill this site... put it out of its misery... over 10 years of this crap has driven almost anyone and everyone away... it's irredeemable... and the hilarious part is they want us to vote for them as "best gaming site on the net" a 12 year old with a windows 95 based laptop could build a less dysfunctional site.

I also find it funny. if there was a way to contact everyone with that link, I would have done it... but the mail is down too... this site is so bad it is in fact funny.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jsmoke03

someone with majot hacking sklls should just completely kill this site... put it out of its misery... over 10 years of this crap has driven almost anyone and everyone away... it's irredeemable... and the hilarious part is they want us to vote for them as "best gaming site on the net" a 12 year old with a windows 95 based laptop could build a less dysfunctional site.

I also find it funny. if there was a way to contact everyone with that link, I would have done it... but the mail is down too... this site is so bad it is in fact funny.

waflerevolution
despite the glitches....i cant find another site that i like better....maybe i should let go of the collection rating, its a deal breaker for me
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 waflerevolution

if backloggery had forums... I'd just use that... all the time...

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jsmoke03

if backloggery had forums... I'd just use that... all the time...

waflerevolution
im tied down to seeing what the overall rating for my game collection is....i don't know...im an emblem/achievement/trophy addict lol
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 waflerevolution

backloggery has emblems... actually, I HATE the scores GS has... they are terrible... I've had "Bad Taste" the entire time I've had a collection here... plus having a lot of games in general garantees that... since it's based on average... also, I haven't been able to load my collection page since 2001...

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jsmoke03

backloggery has emblems... actually, I HATE the scores GS has... they are terrible... I've had "Bad Taste" the entire time I've had a collection here... plus having a lot of games in general garantees that... since it's based on average... also, I haven't been able to load my collection page since 2001...

waflerevolution
lol yea...but thats just how it is when you collect. i still have my good gaming taste emblem. its partly cuz im picky with what i buy and what im interested in...and higher rated games interest me more
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 waflerevolution

I tend to find higher rated games are the most generic and poorly made games of them all... and more often than not rushed and incomplete... as well as glitchy, buggy and choppy... games in general interest me... I've had more fun with poorly rated or moderately rated games than almost anything rated at 8 or more... even my favorite games of all time are low or moderate rated... still, like I said, I haven't been able to load my collection page since it hit 1200 games... it just crashes whatever computer I'm on... or sometimes just the browser... and I dare you to try to load my wishlist... you will fry your hard drive.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jsmoke03

I tend to find higher rated games are the most generic and poorly made games of them all... and more often than not rushed and incomplete... as well as glitchy, buggy and choppy... games in general interest me... I've had more fun with poorly rated or moderately rated games than almost anything rated at 8 or more... even my favorite games of all time are low or moderate rated... still, like I said, I haven't been able to load my collection page since it hit 1200 games... it just crashes whatever computer I'm on... or sometimes just the browser... and I dare you to try to load my wishlist... you will fry your hard drive.

waflerevolution
really? whenever i play lower rated game is when i experience glitchy....especially with camera work. to each their own i guess...
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 waflerevolution

the fallout games and elder scrolls games always recieve high marks and are some of the most glitchy, buggy, crash-prone things ever made.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jsmoke03

the fallout games and elder scrolls games always recieve high marks and are some of the most glitchy, buggy, crash-prone things ever made.

waflerevolution
better on the pc rite? or you talking about console versions?
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 waflerevolution

both. console and PC recieve the same updates... unless you count user-mods...

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 WitIsWisdom

I have a mix of favorite games recieving lower scores and higher scores. However, I would say that I generally dont take reviews very serious. Who the hell is to tell me that a game is a 10 or a 2? I can make that call for myself. Dont get me wrong, I respect others opinions, I just dont usually trust the so called gaming :authorities" like magazines or websites. I would rather trust a fellow gamer who has similar taste. Not every company has the money "to buy" their review scores.

I'm not saying EVERY game with high ratings is payed off, but due to pressure of negative review upon themselves most magazines and gaming sites tend to stick to the child mindset when it comes to rating games and just go with the crowd as to not alienate themselves as individuals with independantly thinking brains. At least that's the way it seems to me.

waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 waflerevolution

heck, that's the reason Jeff was fired... he should have been fired years prior for his juvinile, completely bias reviews... but hey, it took him giving the wrong game a snarky neg review before getting the axe (yay for sponsors with power)

the simple fact is, when money is involved, bias follows. of course on the same note, when humans are involved, opinions that bring out both hate and pride follow... of course, it would be great if all people could think for themselves... but we don't live in a world likethat... we live in a world where people NEED other people to rule them... and tell them how to feel, how to think and what to do. sadly, humans... most of them anyway... are hard coded for just that... but I digress... my point is... reviews are not important.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 WitIsWisdom
I completely agree that reviews are not important. Whenever I do read them, it isnt to find out what other people think the game is rated, but instead used to read up on the game a little bit to see if it has a halfway interesting plot behind it. I usually buy first and read later though... lol
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 waflerevolution
my biggest problem with reviews, especially on GS and IGN is that they regularly have misinformation or false information... like the people writing the reviews didn't actually play the game... or at least not all the way through...  sometimes giving negative marks to things that weren't even true... journalistic integrity has been dead for years... many of them... I'm more likely to check player reviews than a staff review... but I haven't checked a review at all in a long time... no need... not with wikipedia, youtube and other better things to check for any needed information.
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jsmoke03

lol damn harsh views

well as for me, i don't have that much disposable income so i have to get a sense or feel of a game. i know that a lot of people don't like scores being thrown around, but when i do look at a review, i look at more than the score. i listen to the content of a review. a sports game like madden, i don't pay attention to the score or how they think its the same game each year. i look at the subtle changes to things and see if this is going to enhance the game. when it comes to more single player experiences, i look for the general feel, but i do take in to account why a reviewer thinks this game deserves that score...and if i feel they are wrong, then i will never pay attention to them again. but i need a base of reference...and i find reviewers more insightful than user reviews or gamers opinions.i honestly have never found too many gamers that recomend me a game that i don't find obvious. ive been burned with purchases before and i'm kind of pissed at myself for listening to my gamer friend.

as far as game reviewers like the whole jeff gerstman debacle, i don't see him as biased as much as he has a thing for extreme bad ass games lol. didnt really like how he scored a lot of games based on badassness lol. the only guy that i found spot on most of the time was greg kasavin, and some of alex navarro's reviews. i remembered i started following gamespot because people like greg k didn't give away 8's and 9's easily. he shared the same philosophy as me....not all games are fun. i remembered growing up and not being all that immersed with a lot of games people found fun. i think super mario bro for the nes is a good game, but its not the greatest game of all time, it wasn't the most fun game on the nes. gamespot stood for really disecting a game from what i saw. i wish i still saw that with the reviewers now...sadly i don't. kevin van orde is kind of there....but most i don't even listen to.

but i respect both of your opinions about the matter. everyone has their opinions about it....hope you guys can respect mine

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 WitIsWisdom

Just like I always post in the Legacy Platforms forum. I always respect others opinions whether I agree or not. (As long as the person in question seems to be mentally capable of forming a rational thought... lol)

Seeing as though you respect opinions also makes you easy to respect as a person. It's the majority of know it alls on gamespot these days that ruin the "debating" which I love and instead just bring hate and flame wars for unbridled biasness and ignorance of not knowing the diiference between opinion and factual information.

I try to stay out of arguements with people who think that there idea of thinking is right and everybody that doesnt agree is wrong and unintelligent. That is kind of a lose lose situation in the first place, because even simply posting back to somebody like that I feel that my IQ dips a few points for even trying to make such a person understand how ironic they are being, but at the same time it also makes me want to lash out and tell them off. However, the forums here are good for me, because I try to be the bigger person and let it go. I figure anybody so willing to jump into an arguement worthy of hate is so bias that trying to have a "debate" with them instead of a baseless "arguement" would be like trying to dry off by stepping off a boat dock... you know what I mean?

Diversity makes the world turn man, and anybody that gets MAD or "argues" opinions are biased and misinformed. That is why I dont understand why people get so mad over a simple debate. I find "debating" intriguing and academically aesthetic, however baseless arguing of opinion is just plain ignorant.

I know that even in this union several members left for good (or for awhile) over a difference in opinions throughout the years. I guess I dont understand why anything related to playing a game could get somebody THAT upset. I mean, I dont know about you, but I play games to have fun, and I come here to talk and read up on other games and gamers, not to try and push my ideals off on others.

All of that being said is why I always wind up coming back here. You can find some of the coolest people in the CCU that are "true gamers" to the core and usually understand differences in opinion. It seems to me that "collectors" in general usually have a mentality that is easier for me to get along with. The one and done/buy and trash mentality is sickening to me, and people of all ages should understand that importance.

I hope anybody that reads this follows what I am saying.... lol

waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 waflerevolution
I'm very happy to relay this information...

a lot of the former members of this union went on to become freelance official reviewers for this site... people like DrFish... and some of us went on to be official mods of the site like coddinggenius... and some of us went on to work at EA like amorphe. this union produces a lot of great and powerful people... that's why I cannot let it die.
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jsmoke03
I'm very happy to relay this information...

a lot of the former members of this union went on to become freelance official reviewers for this site... people like DrFish... and some of us went on to be official mods of the site like coddinggenius... and some of us went on to work at EA like amorphe. this union produces a lot of great and powerful people... that's why I cannot let it die.waflerevolution
yea i remember drfish had really good blogs and articles. too bad i haven't seen him on in years....since about 05 or 06...
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jsmoke03

Just like I always post in the Legacy Platforms forum. I always respect others opinions whether I agree or not. (As long as the person in question seems to be mentally capable of forming a rational thought... lol)

Seeing as though you respect opinions also makes you easy to respect as a person. It's the majority of know it alls on gamespot these days that ruin the "debating" which I love and instead just bring hate and flame wars for unbridled biasness and ignorance of not knowing the diiference between opinion and factual information.

I try to stay out of arguements with people who think that there idea of thinking is right and everybody that doesnt agree is wrong and unintelligent. That is kind of a lose lose situation in the first place, because even simply posting back to somebody like that I feel that my IQ dips a few points for even trying to make such a person understand how ironic they are being, but at the same time it also makes me want to lash out and tell them off. However, the forums here are good for me, because I try to be the bigger person and let it go. I figure anybody so willing to jump into an arguement worthy of hate is so bias that trying to have a "debate" with them instead of a baseless "arguement" would be like trying to dry off by stepping off a boat dock... you know what I mean?

Diversity makes the world turn man, and anybody that gets MAD or "argues" opinions are biased and misinformed. That is why I dont understand why people get so mad over a simple debate. I find "debating" intriguing and academically aesthetic, however baseless arguing of opinion is just plain ignorant.

I know that even in this union several members left for good (or for awhile) over a difference in opinions throughout the years. I guess I dont understand why anything related to playing a game could get somebody THAT upset. I mean, I dont know about you, but I play games to have fun, and I come here to talk and read up on other games and gamers, not to try and push my ideals off on others.

All of that being said is why I always wind up coming back here. You can find some of the coolest people in the CCU that are "true gamers" to the core and usually understand differences in opinion. It seems to me that "collectors" in general usually have a mentality that is easier for me to get along with. The one and done/buy and trash mentality is sickening to me, and people of all ages should understand that importance.

I hope anybody that reads this follows what I am saying.... lol

WitIsWisdom
i hear you. i don't know why i still go to system wars, but its really interesting hearing a lot of peoples views on games and the industry. there are a lot of informed people in gs. this is by far my favorite union....and by far the most knowledgeable
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 waflerevolution
with objectivity comes clarity. sadly most people lack bboth things now a days... still... I would love to see all the allumi come back someday...
WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 WitIsWisdom

I am happy to announce that it was this union that resparked my interest in the industry several years back. Since then, like most of you already know I started going to college for Game Art and Design at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh. I'm only 4 classes in, but I'm holding down a 4.0 gpa. Learning Adobe Creative suite has been a ton of fun, and I cant wait to put some of my knowledge to work. I thought about an English major because I absolutley love to write and debate. However, I like the artfull imaginative side of gaming a bit more... I think.

Either way whether I decide to go on to work at a game company, start my own Indy game company, write strategy guides, or try to get employeed at a gaming magazine, I have this union to thank.

Many great members have came and gone and often I wondered quietly what happened. It is great to hear that so many went on to do great things.

I will say this, regardless of my success in the industry I will come back here and stay a part of what motivated me in the first place just a handful of years ago. Seriously if I had not have found this union I would have quit collecting, because I was starting to believe I was alone in my endeveavor, and that I was strange for my collecting habits. Sometimes talking to other like minds is all it takes to spark a great idea.

I know that there are several people on this union alone that I would love to try and start a gaming magazine with.... if only money were not an issue.

However, if you guys would be interested in an "indy" project of our chosing, working together on a gaming book project, I would not be closed off to such an idea, as long as we could all share the files. I do have Adobe Creative Suite 6 now, so making logos and incorporating pictures wouldnt be to hard. Piecing the project together in Adobe Indesign would be a challenge albeit very fun. I have ALWAYS wanted to be an author, and what better way?

I dont know how much the overhead would be but it is something that interests me. With our combined knowledge and love for games, making a gaming "bible" (of sorts) would be sure to sell. SO many possibilities and so much potential is within the walls of this foundation.

Anyways though, if anybody is interested, let me know and maybe we can start panning up some ideas to at least see where it could take us.

It isnt often that I respect something enough to not try and take a leadership role. If a position ever opened up as an officer for this union, I would gladly take that responsibility.

This union is the number one reason I continue coming back to gamepot in the first place, and as I said before, I have a debt of gratitude to pay back to the great members of this board for convincing me (indirectly) to take charge of my life. Even though I am a retired injured war veteran, I have this union to thank for the fact I kept my love for gaming.

We have discussed everything from 1st gen to current gen and player profiles, and it has been a great ride. The recent downsizing of people showing up is a bit of a downer, and I wish there was some sort of recruit campaign we could go on to help others find this union.

Anyways though, I also plan on not only getting my BS in Game Art and Design or Graphic Design (they are very similar in course design), but possibly ALSO getting an associates in English so that I can possibly become a proffesional game reviewer, or article writer.

waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 waflerevolution
this union has kept me caring about games... so many bad titles come out and make me just wanna quit, but then people here post about some game I never heard of with terrible reviews that is so awesome I need to try it.. I do and BAM I'm all enthusiastic about gaming again.  a book might be too pricy, but a website... or maybe something like an email circular...
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jsmoke03

werent you an officer before witls? or was that asporo? lol i think it was asporo

i've always wanted to dable into making a gaming website or blog. I want to do some reviews, articles, podcasts, weblog n other stuff but i don't have the equipment like a mic or a really good webcam, or other people to do this with. if any of you guys ever decide to, and you wouldn't mind me putting some stuff out, then i'm more than happy to volunteer my services....

waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 waflerevolution
it'd be awesome if we all got togeather and made the site that puts gamespot to bed once and for all...
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jsmoke03
it'd be awesome if we all got togeather and made the site that puts gamespot to bed once and for all...waflerevolution
ya it would be cool. but do we all have time for that? i know i do for the time being. but from what i know, you guys have a lot of priorities...family 2 right?
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 waflerevolution
family and I'm trying to start up a game store.. beleive it or not...
WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 WitIsWisdom

I truly believe even with full time school that I could manage the time to put full time work into a website. I would also love to get the equipment to do podcasts and the likes. Reviews, legacy gaming sections. Everything.

My major problem is that I dont really know how to code all that well meaning that building the website would be outside my technical prowess for the time being. I was planning on starting a website linked to youtube videos or the like.

I in no way want to copy the avgn, but like that it would be nice to get recognition on youtube to send traffic back to the site.

A site similar to this that had a place for everything retro through futuristic.

Many things would be different however.

The only website I remember that I own is this

http://www.vowunited.com/ although I know I own 2 or 3 more as well... lol

waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 waflerevolution
well, it's not like any of us are planning to not exist any time soon... but I'd be willing to put time into reviewes, forum management and the like...  but it is all just idle talk... we'd need a lot more staff to get a good thing started... something like proboards or ezboards would be a good place to start a "forum" it'd be offsite... we'd probably need a good artist as well... and a good programmer and code writer... all stuff that we'd have if this union was in better shape...
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 jsmoke03
well, it's not like any of us are planning to not exist any time soon... but I'd be willing to put time into reviewes, forum management and the like... but it is all just idle talk... we'd need a lot more staff to get a good thing started... something like proboards or ezboards would be a good place to start a "forum" it'd be offsite... we'd probably need a good artist as well... and a good programmer and code writer... all stuff that we'd have if this union was in better shape...waflerevolution
can we do some skype stuff? i remember someone asking if we can do member spotlights through skype video...was it nonsense? well what i can do is i can write off beat articles. i can manage youtube stuff and if you guys want another site like tumblr where we can link stuff up to the main site.... its idle...but why the hell not....i bet we know enough people to start a site. maybe we can ask some of the missing members if they want to join in....imagine a site ran by US....VIDEO GAME COLLECTORS
Republican11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#43 Republican11
Member since 2008 • 1029 Posts
I wouldn't mind helping with whatever you guys want to do, but I agree with waffle that we probably need more people.
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 waflerevolution

just thought thisneeded a bump.... as GS is getting retarded again.