I bid you farewell

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Yagami-Iori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

User Lists: 0

#1 Yagami-Iori
Member since 2003 • 6327 Posts

Hey guys,

This is going to be the last time I log onto Gamespot for good and I just had to come in here and say goodbye to everyone here, as this is one of the few bright spots left on this aging dinosaur. Due to just having less time lately, I haven't been around as much and with just how terribly the quality of this site has gone down, I'm leaving for greener pastures (or at least more entertaining ones). It's no fun being at this site anymore... besides here, the comminuty is completely dead. Plus, not adding half my prior game purchases sucks. It's been fun, but I'm out. I left contacts to a few people concerning the community on various matters. If you're at DigitPress or Neo-Geo, I'll see you around (look for Phyeir).

Cheers guys!

usagi704

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 usagi704
Member since 2003 • 2058 Posts
Aww, sorry to hear you're leaving. My perspective hasn't seen a much of a change in community. I seem to still get the usual amount of comments on my blogs. For me it was Giant Bomb that had the huge community drop off a few months ago. Anyway, it was good to have you around here and perhaps I'll see you elsewhere, but I'm not much of a forum poster and instead mostly a blog commenter.
CodingGenius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#3 CodingGenius
Member since 2004 • 8118 Posts
Sorry to see you go, but hope you keep enjoying gaming!
clubhaxor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 clubhaxor
Member since 2005 • 2482 Posts
:( Aww not another one. I don't see why people are saying they hate the site so much and but that's ok we'll still love you :oops:
Avatar image for waflerevolution
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 121

#5 waflerevolution
Member since 2004 • 10598 Posts

I agree that this site is getting worse all the time... and the community is dying... but there's nothing you can do... not really...  I am using the backloggery from now on... but that doesn't mean I'm going to stop coming here once a day.

(Errors:

Your HTML is not well-formed - no valid tags were found.)  - because there aren't any! stupid GS proving the point.

took me copy/pating this to a new post. wouldn't let me post 10+ times. and I got the "messages cannot be left blank" error twice trying to post it anyway.

Avatar image for 203762174820177760555343052357

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 203762174820177760555343052357
Member since 2005 • 7599 Posts

^Yeah, the forums they use for unions is broken and I think they don't replace them 'casue they'd have to deal with all the user permissions (specific leaders and officers).  And they can't kill the unions and ask us to start over, cause of all the advertising loads they'd lose...

In any case, Yagami, adios, I'll miss you around here.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

I actually haven't noticed much, if any change on the site since I signed up (which was back in '04 I believe though I did take a two year hiatus). Maybe fewer evolution threads in OT but that's about it. Even assuming that the community has experience some attrition is hasn't had much of an impact considering that GS is easily the most active message board I've been a member of.

GS itself may be dying ever since the Gerstmann debacle, but the forums are as lively as ever.

GAMECAMILLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#8 GAMECAMILLER
Member since 2005 • 4994 Posts
Sorry to see ya go dude, but do continue to game. :) See ya around my friend.
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 waflerevolution

I actually haven't noticed much, if any change on the site since I signed up (which was back in '04 I believe though I did take a two year hiatus). Maybe fewer evolution threads in OT but that's about it. Even assuming that the community has experience some attrition is hasn't had much of an impact considering that GS is easily the most active message board I've been a member of.

GS itself may be dying ever since the Gerstmann debacle, but the forums are as lively as ever.

gameguy6700

first off, Gamespot before CNET bought it was awesome. after CNET bought it, they took it offline for 3 months to conform it to CNET standards. if you didn't notice gamespot was a completely different and no longer functional or good site then I believe you are lying... or never did anything at all on the site before returning.

second, Gerstman should have lost his job years and years ago for his incredibly bias and lie-filled reviews. good riddance to that human garbage I say... I could care less for what the termination was ACTUALLY for. he shouldn't be allowed near games... or media.

Avatar image for undergroundfrog
undergroundfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 undergroundfrog
Member since 2009 • 499 Posts
srry to hear you're going :(
totalgridlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#11 totalgridlock
Member since 2004 • 1269 Posts

I'm sad whenever a long-time member decides to leave.  That said, I can kinda see why.  I'm way too busy these days to spend as much time around here as I'd like but even I can see the site as a whole is on a downward slide.  Reviews are thin on the ground, decent articles are nearly non-existant, the OT community is boring. And the whole site is just plain broken.  Shoddy, lazy coding.  I still love this union, people here are always nice - and there are precious few places on t'internet where that is still the case.

waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 waflerevolution
well, this one sure makes me sad... I'll miss you very much Cass, hopefully I'll get to play with you on live sometime... or maybe convince you to join my site ;)
totalgridlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#13 totalgridlock
Member since 2004 • 1269 Posts

well, this one sure makes me sad... I'll miss you very much Cass, hopefully I'll get to play with you on live sometime... or maybe convince you to join my site ;)waflerevolution

;)

Well that's sweet :P But don't worry, I'm not leaving yet. The CCU is the main (well, only) reason I'm sticking around.  Plus I'm starting my blog up again now my life has some semblance of organisation and regularity to it. Also I found a couple of partially written retro articles on an old memory stick from uni.  Who knows, I might polish one off and stick it on the union front page (*gasp!*).

waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 waflerevolution

[QUOTE="waflerevolution"]well, this one sure makes me sad... I'll miss you very much Cass, hopefully I'll get to play with you on live sometime... or maybe convince you to join my site ;)totalgridlock

;)

Well that's sweet :P But don't worry, I'm not leaving yet. The CCU is the main (well, only) reason I'm sticking around.  Plus I'm starting my blog up again now my life has some semblance of organisation and regularity to it. Also I found a couple of partially written retro articles on an old memory stick from uni.  Who knows, I might polish one off and stick it on the union front page (*gasp!*).

I misunderstood because of tirednes... anyway, I will be sure to read the hell out of it when it gets posted ^_^

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

sad to see another guy go....but i can understand.

gs isn't what it used to be, to me especially after greg k. left. i know gs staff is trying, but i dont' see anymore features, editorials or anything....heck they don't even have button mashing and on the spot (regularly) anymore. 

but i cant leave because of the reviews...even if some of the best reviewers left, i still find this site to be the most credible review site online....

waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 waflerevolution

gs isn't what it used to be, to me especially after greg k. left. i know gs staff is trying, but i dont' see anymore features, editorials or anything....heck they don't even have button mashing and on the spot (regularly) anymore. 

but i cant leave because of the reviews...even if some of the best reviewers left, i still find this site to be the most credible review site online....

jsmoke03

the problem is that they keep adding new features and not fixing the broken stuff that's everywhere.

they are just as regular as before, you just don't like them as much :-p

this site? credible reviews?  lol no. no site that asks for money... and has advertisements will ever be credible... not to mention thefact that "credibility" requires unbias judgements.... you'd be hard-pressed to find ANYONE in the gaming "industry" who isn't bias. 

my opinion is that you fail.

I won't really miss Yagami-Iori  all that much, he was terribly opinionated about a lot of things... I really don't like people who bash series of games and then turn around and praise others based purely on their personal opinion.

"none of those other series deserve to be talked about at all" but in the very next thread "KoF is a much better series"

gmsnpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 gmsnpr
Member since 2004 • 4242 Posts

See you later.  I do hit up Digital Press, and other sites, too, and I've read posts from your Phyeir persona before.

Avatar image for 203762174820177760555343052357

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 203762174820177760555343052357
Member since 2005 • 7599 Posts

[QUOTE="waflerevolution"]well, this one sure makes me sad... I'll miss you very much Cass, hopefully I'll get to play with you on live sometime... or maybe convince you to join my site ;)totalgridlock

;)

;)

Yeah, I only come here anymore. I do occasionally try to get something going in the GGD. Ah well.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jsmoke03
[QUOTE="jsmoke03"]

waflerevolution

the problem is that they keep adding new features and not fixing the broken stuff that's everywhere.

this site? credible reviews?  lol no. no site that asks for money... and has advertisements will ever be credible... not to mention thefact that "credibility" requires unbias judgements.... you'd be hard-pressed to find ANYONE in the gaming "industry" who isn't bias. 

I won't really miss Yagami-Iori  all that much, he was terribly opinionated about a lot of things... I really don't like people who bash series of games and then turn around and praise others based purely on their personal opinion.

"none of those other series deserve to be talked about at all" but in the very next thread "KoF is a much better series"

ok...well we have opinions, you don't have to follow em. though i don't get why you scream bias...when everyone walks around with a bias....you have a bias against review site that asks for money. 

waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 waflerevolution
[QUOTE="waflerevolution"][QUOTE="jsmoke03"]

jsmoke03

ok...well we have opinions, you don't have to follow em. though i don't get why you scream bias...when everyone walks around with a bias....you have a bias against review site that asks for money. 

all review sites and reviewers have bias. I don't have a bias, I just don't think people should get their opinions from other people's opinions. and that's exactly what happens... people are too weak-minded to think for themselves.... and it's how we ended up with so many fanboys and haters... and people like Jeff who act like the VGN like it's totally acceptable.

personally, I love games. all games. they are all good to me. however, the gaming community in recent years has become a bunch of childish bantering not unlike politics.... just 3 parties all claiming to be better.... with their un-bendable supporters telling the other groups their opinions are wrong. why can't it just be about games? why can't we all just agree that games are fun.... stop the fighting and bickering and favoritism... and fanboyishness.... and just play games for fun! not because other people say they are, not because they are trendy, not because everyone else is playing them and not becasue of points or trophies! play games for fun! like they were meant to be! and stop picking on the people who play games that you refuse to play becasue they are deemed "uncool" or "not good" by the masses of people who read a review on a website or in a magazine... and more than likely never played it themselves.... let's face it, just like books and movies, if you go into a game with a mind set that it sucks, you won't enjoy it. so these low reviews that are everywhere... do nothing but hurt the game community as a whole... they are responsible for putting good game companies out of business while keeping the mass-producers in business. and you know who really loses because of all that? us. the gamers. the real gamers who've been gaming as long as games have been. the gamers without the hate, prejudice and bias. those who game for the love of gaming and those of us who ignore or toss aside the opinions of others.

the gaming community is exactly like politics or religion now. it's all about hate and greed. there's only a precious few of us who still hold faith in the games instead of bias'

you, js, are no different... you just turn it around in your head and make it look like I'm preaching hate.... I'm trying to preach understanding, faith, enjoyment, cooperation and happiness. I have no hate in me at all.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jsmoke03
lots of stuff

waflerevolution

don't you think its a little impossible what you are preaching? i'm not saying not enjoy the games or follow the games, but i consider this whole console thing like its sports or ford vs chevy. people back up who they like no matter how blind it is or skewed their views are. Its all cool to me because thats their opinion. When it comes down to it, i enjoy certain types of games and some games i wouldn't touch.I don't have a lot of money laying around to try every game to make my own opinion about them. So i turn to reviews to give me their reasons for rating a game. Its a good jump off point for me to see if i want to try a game or not because trailers and videos aren't enough. 

one perfect example is star wars force unleashed. GS gave it a 7.5 because they said basically that although its fun, and the story is great, but the targeting system is flawed. I took it to account but i went and bought it anyway. After playing the game, i would have given it a 5.5 and totally agreed with gs on the basis that the game had good elements but some broken ones as well. Another game that comes to mind was ico. When this game came out, i knew nothing about it. Checked the reviews and there were a lot of positive remarks. Suffice to say that i agree with the opinions of others. Last example is Halo. Everyone raved about it, but you know what, after playing it and buying the first game, i made up my mind that i didn't like halo whatsoever despite the 9.7.I have a mind and opinion of my own, and just because it happens to coincide with gamespots opinion doesn't mean i am brainwashed or easily influenced. I give a lot of games a fair shot and even though i may not always agree with gs scores, as long as they give me valid reasons why, i can respect it. More often that not, i see the same things in a lot of the games i purchase that they saw as well.

Just like movies, there is no exact science to tell people if its worth investing in. Some people are way out there with their opinions, while others do not. Just because they get paid for reviewing doesnt mean they arent taking their job seriously or biased and easily swayed by trends, if anything i think they take it more seriously and maybe thats why i like reviews on gs. They give me a good basis to gauge if its worth the purchase. Games are 65 bucks and renting is 4-8 bucks. i was homeles during the holiday season and i still have no job so i am more picky about the games i buy, and i thank gs for their reviews because even if times are tough, i still want to enjoy gaming.

waffle i know you are an a vet on gs and i know you have the same love for games as i do, but i hope u understand not everyone is a sheep that follows til they fall of a cliff just because they agree with reviews....cuz not all games are fun

someNONSENSE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 someNONSENSE
Member since 2006 • 1404 Posts
Sorry to hear you are leaving Yagami-Lori. :(
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 waflerevolution

it's not impossible, I've been doing it for years. my whole life in fact. I've always just enjoyed every game I've played... no matter what.

with cars it's the same thing, people are just trying to justify their own use of money by creating bias where none needs to be... all cars are completely evil. I don't see opinions as problems but rather the people who try to force their opinions on others or those who believe their opinion is better or more right and use those opinions to case hate.

sports are just brainwashing in general so I won't even go there.

I would NEVER turn to a review, even as a child reading Nintendo Power and I can't even remember what the other mag I got back in the late 80's was... I ignored reviews... hell, they called contra "the most violent game of all time" (by current standards is pretty laughable) but they used such petty antics to boost sales via review that even as a 10 year old, I found it infantile. so, no. I refuse to accept that reviews are a good base for anything other than mainstream games.

there's been more than 10 reviews on GS where I've found proven lies or proof that the reviewers didn't play past level 1. trust reviews on GS? absolutely not. most of them are either paid off pandering or just lazy liars wanting to play something else.

you may actually read reviews but 80% of the kids here do not. they see a score and nothing else. so either way, your point is invalidated.

I literally don't have money... however, I've not paid full price for more than 10 games in my lifetime. I have more than 3000 and have enjoyed every one of them.

movie reviews cannot be trusted because the majority of people now a days are stupid and only entertained by explosions and gore. I find those things over-done and disgusting. I've seen every movie made up till 2009...and 90% of movies made after 1990 contain very little plot or character development... and instead an increasing amount of explosions and gore... and less and less nudity and swearing as well. apparently, it's acceptable to gruesomely torture and murder people and show it all but god forbid a nipple or curse word show up...

yes, I am a vet, I created this union before unions were even an idea.I've been here since this was more of a code site than anything else... and it enjoyed blues whites and blacks instead of reds and yellows.

and lastly, I completely 100% disagree, all games are fun. people just choose not to enjoy them.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jsmoke03
ok...seems like we are running around in circles...i disagree with what you say, and you disagree with what i say....
gmsnpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 gmsnpr
Member since 2004 • 4242 Posts

all games are fun. people just choose not to enjoy them.
waflerevolution
Though this is off-topic for the "Good-bye Yagami" thread, I don't agree.  There are definitely games that I have found not fun.  I did not choose to not enjoy them, they were simply not enjoyable for me.  It may be that your threshold for enjoyability differs from Jsmoke's or from mine, but speaking for myself, I give a game a fair shake and play it before I make some pronouncement on whether it's fun or not.   There are plenty of games that get a bad rap for the wrong reasons, but there are also games that get a bad rap for the right ones.

I share your opinion that reviewing a game that you haven't played or parroting someone else's opinion on a game is lazy and dangerous.  When asked whether a game that you haven't played is good, the only honest answer is, "I don't know."

waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 waflerevolution

[QUOTE="waflerevolution"]all games are fun. people just choose not to enjoy them.
gmsnpr

Though this is off-topic for the "Good-bye Yagami" thread, I don't agree.  There are definitely games that I have found not fun.  I did not choose to not enjoy them, they were simply not enjoyable for me.  It may be that your threshold for enjoyability differs from Jsmoke's or from mine, but speaking for myself, I give a game a fair shake and play it before I make some pronouncement on whether it's fun or not.   There are plenty of games that get a bad rap for the wrong reasons, but there are also games that get a bad rap for the right ones.

I share your opinion that reviewing a game that you haven't played or parroting someone else's opinion on a game is lazy and dangerous.  When asked whether a game that you haven't played is good, the only honest answer is, "I don't know."

that sounds about right... if people would just give every game a fair chance and not go into it with pre-conceptions of any kind, maybe bias would dissappear... however, the majority of the gaming community does parrot its opinins...

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9531 Posts

Reviews on a game mean absolutley nothing to me! I would review more games, but it seems that since most of the gaming world does parrot one another, my opinions usually are against popular belief. Some of my favorite games have gotten horrible scores, and some of my least favorite games get great scores. What it ALL gets down to in the end is usually hype and sales. The higher the hype and sales due to over advertising the better a game is usually percieved by the gaming community! I must say that I have never played a game that for whatever reason didn't at least make my smile for whatever the reason. I guess that means that even the titles that were the most unenjoyable for me still had a glimmer of light.

I really can't think of any game I have ever played that I hated 100%.... The way I see it is that there is at least one person out there that loves your most hated game, and vice versa....

This gives me an idea... I think I'll start a new thread.

waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 waflerevolution

Reviews on a game mean absolutley nothing to me! I would review more games, but it seems that since most of the gaming world does parrot one another, my opinions usually are against popular belief. Some of my favorite games have gotten horrible scores, and some of my least favorite games get great scores. What it ALL gets down to in the end is usually hype and sales. The higher the hype and sales due to over advertising the better a game is usually percieved by the gaming community! I must say that I have never played a game that for whatever reason didn't at least make my smile for whatever the reason. I guess that means that even the titles that were the most unenjoyable for me still had a glimmer of light.

I really can't think of any game I have ever played that I hated 100%.... The way I see it is that there is at least one person out there that loves your most hated game, and vice versa....

This gives me an idea... I think I'll start a new thread.

WitIsWisdom

I love you.