WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

First off, I would like to say that anybody who helps with my little list here I thank you very much.

I want to say from the start that recently (over the last year or two) I have been finding myself getting very easily bored with games.... :(

I keep telling myself it is because of the watered down graphics over gameplay formula this gen used. I still hold out hope that PS4 and 720 (or whatever it wil be called) finally get what this genertion should have been. Now before everybody starts hating on me, realize I am not saying that there were not some truly spectacular games this gen., and I realize that game develppers kind of have their hands tied when it comes to making new IP's and great new ideas because of huge prices for develping A-AAA titles. Anyways, with that being said I have been sadly dissapointed with this gen easily ranking it at the very bottom or near the very bottom of any generation yet. I do hold hope for the upcoming generation after the unveiling of the PS3's specs and dev kit information etc, etc.

However, I dont know if all gamers go through this stage as they get older, or if I am just growing away from games, but it seems my interest has faded due to over saturation of genres.

Now to get to my question (the one I hope will rekindle my interest in gaming and hold my until PS4 releases).

I ABSOLUTELY LOVED Gladius. Are there any games similar to Gladius on the PC? I have been playing the PC a lot recently, but quite honestly I am getting sick and tired of MMO's, and I yearn for simpler times. Turn based RPG's or strategy.

I do NOT need just the best of the best, and they dont only have to be PC (although that is the main direction I am looking currently)

I have watched videos from the gamespot app like Might and Magic Heroes VI, and I watched a video on youtube on Might and Magic Heroes V. I got kind of excited knowing that I havnt even began tapping into the vast amount of PC game greatness that must exist out there.

Ideally I would like some games like one of the ones I mentioned above with some town upgrade/building and unit building with officers and the likes. Leveling up, and treasure drops including weapons and armor could be cool. However, I am NOT looking for something where I command a TON of units all at once with an extremely high overhead view, or withgames where you can have more then one unit attacked at a time... I do want to be in charge of the action... I dont care if the enemy initializes the attack, I just dont want reports that I am being attacked by three other groups that I have no control over as well.

I guess I am looking more along the lines of Gladius, FF Tactics, etc. Now I am confusing myself even.... lmao

I know Romance of the Three Kingdoms and other strategy games are out there as well as Gladius.

So I was hoping somebody or everybody who likes these types of games (strategy RPG turn based) could possibly break games down for me into two categories.

1. A little more simple and just plain old fun strategy like Gladius

2. More in depth with possible town building, leveling up, loot, etc.

If anybody could help me out I would be very thankful. I know there has to be a huge amount of PC games out there...

(Note I am not looking for real time games like Diablo and the likes... just take it easy good old fashion strategy and or RPG turn based goodness)

I want to kick back with a beer or two (or pop or whatever) and just slowly play through a game while still being able to talk to my family and or watch tv or a movie without the danger of getting left in the dust or being relentlessly attacked.

PC games like Breath of Fire and other classic JRPG PC games could be put in a third category. so....

3. Classic turn based JRPG style games.

I know this was a long post, but I need my fellow gamers help to keep my interest. I just dont have the amount of time I used to have to play games, and I need these to tide me over. With college, a young family, etc. etc. I have to either roll with the punches or like most others drift away from gaming... honestly, I dont like the sound of the later, because gaming has been an integral part of my life since I was the age my kids are now.

Thanks everybody. This will be the only place I post this, because over the years I have learned I can count on you all the most :)

Avatar image for waflerevolution
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 121

#2 waflerevolution
Member since 2004 • 10598 Posts
well, as a fellow TBS lover, I have to tell you... that this generation has almost completely kicked out turn-based games... the few that made it stateside are pretty decent but most lack length... Zoids Assault is the first that comes to mind... the Arugust Wars games are great... There's also Spectral Force 3, Operation Darkness and Enchanted Arms... and the there's a few on the indie marketplace too... namly Miasma and Misma 2... and the DS and PSP saw a number of them as well... Pokemon Conquest is fun... and there are a lot others I'm surely forgetting...
WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

Thanks for those that you listed from this gen.

It seems that the majority of the good stuff was from previous generations, and since I have been in the dark with most PC games until just the last coupe years, a nice list of established or not so well known games in those categories would be great as well. Chances are I either have not even heard of them or have never played them.

Avatar image for waflerevolution
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 121

#4 waflerevolution
Member since 2004 • 10598 Posts
well, Galactic Civilizations and also GCII are great... Civilization (I still prefer Civ II) games are pretty awesome too... as is Sins of a Solor Empire.... and the Master of Orion series... Fallen Enchantress looks good but I haven't picked it up yet...
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

wish i could help but i havent been able to play pc games in a long time.