Do You Have Any Embarrasing Dupes in Your Collection?

lozengez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 lozengez
Member since 2011 • 490 Posts

Dupes = duplicate copies.

When you have a large collection, it just happens from time to time.  You pick up a game you are not sure if you have, then get it home to find you already have it.

My worst would be two copies of Dark Angel (the 2002 game based on the Jessica Alba TV show).  Also, two copies of the PS2 version of The Simpsons Game.  It embarrassing not because it's a bad game, but I was ahamed that I would have forrgotten that I already had a copy of it (in addition to the DS version).

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

fortunately for me, my game collection isn't that big so i can keep track of duplicates

Avatar image for waflerevolution
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 121

#3 waflerevolution
Member since 2004 • 10598 Posts

I actually do that every once in a while... less so now though... but I either return the worse copy or sell/trade it.

Republican11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Republican11
Member since 2008 • 1029 Posts
It has happened to me a few times. Once your collection gets so big its hard to remember what games you own. But recently Ive been buying dupes of games I have factory sealed. Im not big in collecting sealed games but if I can get a used copy of a game I have sealed for under $10 I will pick it up.
cosmostein77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 102

#5 cosmostein77
Member since 2004 • 7043 Posts

Sid Meyer's Pirates for Xbox.

Not because its a bad game, but simply because even though I have a list in my phone when I see it I somehow convince myself that I don't have it only go get home go to the S's and find a copy already sitting in its place. I have done this easily three times in the last few years. 

Also Choplifter for SMS. 

There are 8x copies sitting in line of the game simply because when I buy lot auctions for SMS games there is always at least one in there! 

lozengez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lozengez

Sid Meyer's Pirates for Xbox.

Not because its a bad game, but simply because even though I have a list in my phone when I see it I somehow convince myself that I don't have it only go get home go to the S's and find a copy already sitting in its place. I have done this easily three times in the last few years. 

Also Choplifter for SMS. 

There are 8x copies sitting in line of the game simply because when I buy lot auctions for SMS games there is always at least one in there! 

cosmostein77

That's some funny stuff Cosmo.

I forgot, for about a year I had this mental block with Metroid for NES. I'd go to swap meets (flea markets in the east) and pick up Metroi, and go, "Nah, I've got it" and then put it down and then pick it up again, "Or do I?"

I think I still have 2-3 copies even having given some away.

cosmostein77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 cosmostein77

I forgot, for about a year I had this mental block with Metroid for NES. I'd go to swap meets (flea markets in the east) and pick up Metroi, and go, "Nah, I've got it" and then put it down and then pick it up again, "Or do I?"

lozengez

Metroid is another odd one for me for two reasons; 

1) I bought a Metroid cart years ago that had a sticker on it for some video store in Iowa, and ten years later I ended up with Joe N' Mac from the same video store! 

2) Bought a perfect copy of Metroid when I was traveling somewhere in California for work and sat it on my shelf for a few months till I dug into it, popped it into my NES and while it was a Metroid Cart the chip inside was for the Adventures of Rad Gravity. 

waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 waflerevolution

well, back in the 80's people like Jeff and Greg used to swap out the label on their NES games and return games they didn't like to stores...

lozengez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lozengez
[QUOTE="lozengez"]

cosmostein77

Metroid is another odd one for me for two reasons; 

1) I bought a Metroid cart years ago that had a sticker on it for some video store in Iowa, and ten years later I ended up with Joe N' Mac from the same video store! 

2) Bought a perfect copy of Metroid when I was traveling somewhere in California for work and sat it on my shelf for a few months till I dug into it, popped it into my NES and while it was a Metroid Cart the chip inside was for the Adventures of Rad Gravity. 

These are the kind of stories that make the CCU great.

clubhaxor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 clubhaxor
Member since 2005 • 2482 Posts

well, back in the 80's people like Jeff and Greg used to swap out the label on their NES games and return games they didn't like to stores...

waflerevolution

My brother did that with his/our Mega Drive games. Never knew why we had a Sonic label on our Lion King. Only found out last year too haha.

waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 waflerevolution

damn childhood criminals ruining other people's fun :(

TwarBlackshire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 TwarBlackshire
Member since 2005 • 726 Posts

Love this thread. Most of my silly dupes are for PS1, NES, and original XBOX. Probably because I have a healthy number of games for each system the chance of multiple purchases goes up. Funny that Metroid was mentioned as that is a game that I have picked up 4 times each time thinking 'sweet I finally got Metroid!'. The other NES title that I can't get enough of is Jackal. I don't know how many times I've bought it but it is quite absurd.

For the Playstation I've had my share of dupe buys but the top of the pack for me is the Spec Ops games. I always think I don't have the one I'm looking at in the store. Plus the games aren't that good so it is painful to buy a second (unlike if you 'accidentaly' bought a dupe of Atlus' Persona). The other game that 'gets my goat' is Medal of Honor Underground. Liked the game but I only need one copy...

The Xbox titles have a similar effect on my disfunctional memory as the other two systems mentioned but at the top of the list is the game Crimson Skies:  High Road to Revenge. Lol I actually just checked my Backloggery to see if in fact I really do have it. OCD or what. Hilarious. 

TwarBlackshire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TwarBlackshire
I have to mention that the problem of buying duplicate copies of games is pretty much gone now that I have an iphone. Being able to access my Backloggery at any time really makes it clear if I have a game or not.
CodingGenius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#14 CodingGenius
Member since 2004 • 8118 Posts
I have a few dupes for NES and INTV, also from buying lots online and not having local friends to give them to. I hope to resume acquiring after my upcoming move...
lozengez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lozengez

I have to mention that the problem of buying duplicate copies of games is pretty much gone now that I have an iphone. Being able to access my Backloggery at any time really makes it clear if I have a game or not.TwarBlackshire

Yeah, that does help. I used to heft around a print out in my glovebox for a while.

So, here is a recent one.  On Saturday I bought a second copy of Gears of War 2.

Yeah.  A game I know I have, beat and enjoy.

The sale sticker was covering the 2, and I had just been looking at a few copies of 3, so I grabbed it without looking.

Took it back yesterday to exchange.

cosmostein77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 cosmostein77

I have to mention that the problem of buying duplicate copies of games is pretty much gone now that I have an iphone. Being able to access my Backloggery at any time really makes it clear if I have a game or not.TwarBlackshire

Even with a smartphone in my pocket, I somehow convince myself that my memory is clearly superior. 

TwarBlackshire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TwarBlackshire

[QUOTE="TwarBlackshire"]I have to mention that the problem of buying duplicate copies of games is pretty much gone now that I have an iphone. Being able to access my Backloggery at any time really makes it clear if I have a game or not.cosmostein77

Even with a smartphone in my pocket, I somehow convince myself that my memory is clearly superior.

I have made a mental effort not to trust myself! ;)

pikadeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 pikadeth
Member since 2004 • 1020 Posts
I paid about $40 for a copy of Shining the Holy Ark on Saturn because I forgot that I already owned it.
TwarBlackshire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TwarBlackshire

I paid about $40 for a copy of Shining the Holy Ark on Saturn because I forgot that I already owned it. pikadeth

I'd love to make that mistake as I don't have it yet...I think.

Mathurin47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Mathurin47
Member since 2005 • 1425 Posts

Thankfully, modern technology has made it easy to check for duplicates before purchasing and I always check my backloggery page if I'm not sure.  Though about a year ago, I was almost positive I hadn't picked up a copy of Final Fantasy Tactics for the PSP yet and my phone was out in the car.  I was about to pay the cashier, but the nagging doubt wouldn't go away and I ended up running out to my car and finding out I did have a copy already.  Duplicate averted!  

I also remember a time many years ago before I had one of the newfangeled smartphones and I came across one of the Demi Kids games and I couldn't remember if I already had the Light or Dark version.  I frantically tried to get a hold of a friend who could get online and check my collection for me, eventually succeeding.  Sadly, it was the one I already had and the search would have to continue. 

cosmostein77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 cosmostein77

I paid about $40 for a copy of Shining the Holy Ark on Saturn because I forgot that I already owned it. pikadeth

That game's price moves up and down more then most stocks do :lol:

Sali217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 Sali217
Member since 2012 • 1301 Posts
Nothing too unusual, just some things I've got in lots mostly. Suzuki TT Superbikes: Real Road Racing (Sucks cause I can't seem to unload these) Mafia Resistance: Fall of man GTA: San Andreas Mario/Duckhunt
lozengez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lozengez

Nothing too unusual, just some things I've got in lots mostly. Suzuki TT Superbikes: Real Road Racing (Sucks cause I can't seem to unload these) Mafia Resistance: Fall of man GTA: San Andreas Mario/DuckhuntSali217

The super bikes one is understanable, I get all those games mixed up.  Mario?duckhunt is pretty easy to do too if you buy in lots.

The other three though... those are fairly memorable games.

Sali217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 Sali217
Member since 2012 • 1301 Posts
Well, it's because they all came from lots. lol. I've not really accidentally picked anything up that I can recall at the moment.
lozengez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lozengez

Well, it's because they all came from lots. lol. I've not really accidentally picked anything up that I can recall at the moment.Sali217

Ah, okay that makes sense.

KGKaiju

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 KGKaiju
Member since 2010 • 861 Posts

Great thread idea!

LOL  I have definitely had my share of "Wow I have been looking for that game for a while!  For that price I have to get it"....and later..."Let's put this game in alpabetical order next to.......Wait a minute......I already have this!" *sigh*  Sadly my tomfoolery isn't confined to retail stores.  I have actually gotten two copies of the same game on eBay as well. LOL

Demolition Racer: No Exit.....Apparently all other exits were closed when I tried to avoid heading south to Duplicationsville on this one.  I remember thinking to myself "This Dreamcast game is kinda cheap....and I don't have it!  What was even worse is that the duplicate was in worse condition than my original purchase.  LOL  Sometimes it's hard to dig yourself out of a hole.  

Fighting Force 2.....The only urge I had with regard to fighting after this incident is fighting the urge to do repeated facepalms.  Hey the game was on sale and I didn't have my notebook....so I got it....again.  If that wasn't bad enough the game was on sale again a few months later....but this time I had my notebook.  No 3-peats....No sir! :P

Super Space Invaders....If you think the first two were bad,.....how about two copies of the same game invading your collection within a two-day period!  How did I manage this....on eBay of course!  Yeah the invaders weren't the only things out in space that week.  Apparently my brain took a nice trip out as well (....fortunately it landed safely the next day.....). :P

I saw two sellers that had the game and thought to myself "If the price goes too high on the first one, perhaps I will have a second chance if I add a another copy to my watch list.  Oh yeah.....but what happens if I win the first one?  Hmmm...maybe I should have deleted the second from my watch list!  Nah....I'll just pay a higher price for it and then tack on a shipping charge....Why not?  Yeah the first copy was $4.36 with free shipping and then the next day I bought the game again for $5.99 with $3.45 shipping.  Nice touch.  I am glad that a third copy wasn't being sold on the next day.  LOL 

lozengez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lozengez

^ Demolition Racer was a great game.  A little floaty though.

I picked up a few more dupes last week. Space Marine (now have for 360 and PS3), Lost Odyssey (PAL and NTSC) and Deadly Premonition, though that one was definately on purpose.  I loved teh 360 game and wanted and excuse to replay it.

KGKaiju

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 KGKaiju

^ Demolition Racer was a great game.  A little floaty though.lozengez

Yeah, don't get me wrong...I liked Demolition Racer..........It's just that with my fanaticism concerning stats it's an embarrassment that I have unintentional dups in the first place.

I picked up a few more dupes last week. Space Marine (now have for 360 and PS3), Lost Odyssey (PAL and NTSC) and Deadly Premonition, though that one was definately on purpose.  I loved teh 360 game and wanted and excuse to replay it.

lozengez

I have gotten my share of intentional dups as well....though mine were obtained mostly in bulk lots acquired off eBay.  When there are games you want, sometimes you have to duplicate others to get them.  

Some games are worth duplicating across platforms.  If you like a particular game, it is good to have that insurance should one of your systems conk out.  At least then you could play it on another system rather than none at all. ;)

Hyacinth2600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Hyacinth2600
Member since 2005 • 29 Posts
I have about 4 to 5 copies of Sonic 2 for Genesis. Each Genesis lot I bought off Ebay came with the darn game. I own more copies of that game than any other, which is ironic because that's my least favorite classic Sonic game lol.
KGKaiju

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 KGKaiju

I have about 4 to 5 copies of Sonic 2 for Genesis. Each Genesis lot I bought off Ebay came with the darn game. I own more copies of that game than any other, which is ironic because that's my least favorite classic Sonic game lol.EMZayas

Yeah....wouldn't you know that it would have to be a game that you weren't that crazy about.  I suppose that I have been fortunate in that I have been able to unload a lot of duplicates (I have also bought in lots on numerous occasions.) via trade.  Hopefully you will be able to get rid of those and get something you want in return.

cosmostein77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 cosmostein77

Yakuza 3 for PS3 has officially become the game I cannot wrap my brain around owning.

Doing an inventory and updating my collector software found three copies of the game, two of which were still wrapped. 

cosmostein77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 cosmostein77

Not sure if this counts;

I have my launch XBox in the living room w/ Kinect, and the one I bought later in my media room.

As I did an inventory of 360 controllers it seems I have nine. 

WTF? 

CodingGenius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#33 CodingGenius
Member since 2004 • 8118 Posts

WTF? 

cosmostein77

9?  NINE?  Reminds me of that part in Ferris Bueller...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaxhyNhFYZU 

waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 waflerevolution
my son breaks them constantly... stuck buttons and triggers and such... I only have a few working ones but I have probably 10+ around...
KGKaiju

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 KGKaiju

Not sure if this counts;

I have my launch XBox in the living room w/ Kinect, and the one I bought later in my media room.

WTF? 

cosmostein77

Did you obtain them in gaming lots?  I can understand if you did.  Atari controllers are a major offender for me.  I have a drawer full.......and then an overflow bag......and then there are the ones that are with my 2600 systems.  Honestly. I have no earthly idea how many Atari 2600 controllers I have......30.....maybe more. :lol:

cosmostein77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 cosmostein77
[QUOTE="cosmostein77"]

Not sure if this counts;

WTF? 

KGKaiju

Did you obtain them in gaming lots?  I can understand if you did.  Atari controllers are a major offender for me.  I have a drawer full.......and then an overflow bag......and then there are the ones that are with my 2600 systems.  Honestly. I have no earthly idea how many Atari 2600 controllers I have......30.....maybe more. :lol:

While buying lots can excuse a lot of my dubs; (Genesis Controllers and Choplifter for SMS come to mind)

This one is all on me. 

When I bought my 360 at launch I got a pair of controllers. 

When some multiplayer game came out (can't recall for the life of me) it was bundled with two silver 360 controllers which got me to four. 

When I moved in 2009 I couldn't find the white controllers, so I bought two more. 

After my original 360 RROD the folks at MS would kind enough to fix it, but I retired it to the living room and got my hands on the FF white 360 Elite which came with two controllers. 

Now we are at eight. 

When I had the media room built I opted to go through every box, every cable, and every odd and sod there was and found the original two I had misplaced in 2009 (along with the Energizer charging rack they were attached to) 

Then of course Ms. Cosmo wanted a Pink Controller; 

Nine 

LOL. 

KGKaiju

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 KGKaiju
[QUOTE="KGKaiju"][QUOTE="cosmostein77"]

Not sure if this counts;

WTF? 

cosmostein77

While buying lots can excuse a lot of my dubs; (Genesis Controllers and Choplifter for SMS come to mind)

This one is all on me. 

When I bought my 360 at launch I got a pair of controllers. 

When some multiplayer game came out (can't recall for the life of me) it was bundled with two silver 360 controllers which got me to four. 

When I moved in 2009 I couldn't find the white controllers, so I bought two more. 

After my original 360 RROD the folks at MS would kind enough to fix it, but I retired it to the living room and got my hands on the FF white 360 Elite which came with two controllers. 

Now we are at eight. 

When I had the media room built I opted to go through every box, every cable, and every odd and sod there was and found the original two I had misplaced in 2009 (along with the Energizer charging rack they were attached to) 

Then of course Ms. Cosmo wanted a Pink Controller; 

Nine 

LOL. 

So....if you hadn't misplaced the two white controllers, there would only be 7 (only.....LOL That is still more than my count.).  I am glad that you found those though.  At least you have a few extras should the need arise.  You never know when you may need to hold a tournament at your house. :P