Your filter system needs adjustment Gamespot.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Billzihang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1 Billzihang
Member since 2013 • 1242 Posts

It's just completely ridiculous. One doesn't even need to swear to be flagged -- often my posts are 'pending' for absolutely no apparent reason, nothing offensive, no swearing. I used the word 'cow', but not directed at anyone. Maybe it is this? As it is quite clear the filter is designed to disallow anything than can even be construed as an insult in very specific contexts.

.. and as for those terribly offensive words, it seems one can't even say 'id1ot'. This really is pathetic; and believe me, your stumbling attempts to santitise the forums will not profit you as a website. It's simply the case that your continuing efforts in curtailing the ability to express opinions - by your non-stop flagging of new words to the filter - will result in people leaving en masse.

That's not a threat, it's a prediction.

Freedom of speech is extremely important, and indeed freedom to express foul ideas. Why do you think it's legal to go on neo-nazi marches? It isn't illegal to have racist views. Why is that? Because then we KNOW who those people are - it's rather better to have them out in the open, rather than have them hiding away in the shadows, don't you think?Ask yourself this: Would you prefer a person is left unchallenged with very bad ideas of social behaviour, and ideas of equality, etc?

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#2 digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

I'm sorry but we're not getting rid of the filter. However, I hear that you're upset and trust me when I say that I hate Livefyre just about as much as the average user. It's programmed to think that based off of other words that are in the filter that other words are associated as short hand, so it catches them my mistake. Typically, the comment goes into pending so it can be approved at a later time by a volunteer moderator. This is not a perfect system.

Incidentally, "cow" is not a word in the filtered list. I looked at your comments history and it would appear that most of your comments get flagged as failing to pass the spam filter, not the profanity filter. Again, this is clearly an error (which I apologize for) and I've restored the bulk of your comments.