Why my user LEVEL has been 'downgraded'? [Admin responded, READ 1ST POST]

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Force_field

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 Force_field
Member since 2006 • 44 Posts

I have just noticed that my LEVEL status has been reduced from LEVEL 20 (10%) to LEVEL 18 (43%)!

I wasn't even here for a few days maybe, so it isn't some kind of "misbehave punishment" for sure ;)

Why in the hell that happened? It doesn't really matter, but hey, if there is such category as USER LEVEL, let's keep it "real"!

Thanks!

FF

EDIT (Jerell_rast):

Admin response:

Semi-unofficial response:

The way that levels are assigned changed somewhat today for users between the levels of 16 to 23, level 46 & 47 and > level 70.

There has been no point loss and the total number of points needed to reach level 23 has not changed. Let me repeat that. There has been no point loss. Only the number of points needed to reach a level has changed.

The back story:

I'm sure by now those of you around (or past) level 20 have heard of how level 20 was called the h*ll level. I don't know the joke or the game, but I've been told that this was a an obscur reference to an older game (if you know which game, please post the link) where level 20 was practically impossible to get past. Over the years the joke stopped being funny and level 20 just became a level on GameSpot that everyone hates.

Over the last couple of months there has been a lot of discussion in the office around levels and how they should be assigned. That hasn't been worked out, but what did come out of it was that we didn't like level 20 either. :P

What this means:

In order to make level 20 less... well... insert your bad remark about level 20 here... we re-weighted the number of points needed to get past it to levels 16 - 23. This means that some levels are now easier to get to and some are more difficult. For example, you used to be able to go from level 16 to level 17 in a day or two. Now that journey takes a little longer but is not significantly more difficult. Level 20 on the other hand will no longer take 4x as long as going from level 24 to 25.

However, keeping somewhat in the spirit of the original joke, level 20 is still more difficult than the surrounding levels. It just won't drive you nuts anymore.

For those of you already past level 20, please do not get upset. As I mentioned above, the total number of points needed to reach level 23 are exactly the same as before. If it took you 3 years to reach level 23 it will still take the next person 3 years to reach level 23 (assuming they use the site exactly as you did of course).

Level 46/47 are now real levels. Through some sort of typo or long lost break in the fabric of time & space it took 0 points to go from level 46 to level 47. This essentially bypassed the level. This has also been changed.

Level 71 is no longer the max level available. Because of this, level 71 was given a new name so that the new max level can stay the king. And that's all I'm going to say about that. ;)

I can't get into exact details of the required # of points for each level (that'd be cheating) but I hope this helps clarify what is going on.

(3:45pm minor edit to the second paragraph)

Teivan

Example:
NO points have been taken away, everybody are still at the same point they were last week. The only thing that has changed is that the points where you level up have been moved a bit to even things up. It will not take you longer time to reach level 23... a lot of people here seem to have misunderstood that. I think I have to make a sketch.  Level 20 has been made smaller, THAT'S IT. Hungry_bunny
Diehardgames2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Diehardgames2
Member since 2007 • 1018 Posts

I have just noticed that my LEVEL status has been reduced from LEVEL 20 (10%) to LEVEL 18 (43%)!

I wasn't even here for a few days maybe, so it isn't some kind of "misbehave punishment" for sure ;)

Why in the hell that happened? It doesn't really matter, but hey, if there is such category as USER LEVEL, let's keep it "real"!

Thanks!

FF

Force_field
Big glitch much? It happened to me, from 19 down to 17. :/
s_h_a_d_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3 s_h_a_d_o
Member since 2004 • 1317 Posts

Me too - dropped by 2 levels for no reason at all - GlitchSpot strikes again!

Force_field

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Force_field
OK, we obviously have here some kind of "MMO two level downgrade" game :D
ramboturd72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 ramboturd72
Member since 2008 • 3514 Posts
Ironically I was coming here to mention the same thing. I dropped down a level.
Dirty3rdTex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Dirty3rdTex
Member since 2007 • 635 Posts
Same here, 19 to 17.
valar20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#7 valar20
Member since 2007 • 2323 Posts
me too from level 20 tolevel 18
msudude211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 msudude211
Member since 2006 • 44517 Posts
Well I'm fine. So far. :P
elchiquilin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 elchiquilin
Member since 2005 • 1318 Posts
I was also coming to ask the same thing, from 19(75%)! to 17??????
samiup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 samiup
Member since 2006 • 767 Posts

me tooooooooooooo

im soooooooooo pissed off, im back to early metal slime (lvl 20) ggrrrrrr

Faber_Fighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Faber_Fighter
Member since 2006 • 1890 Posts
Same, went from 20 and around (14%) to 18 (78%) :(
Avatar image for thedisturbedwol
thedisturbedwol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 thedisturbedwol
Member since 2003 • 474 Posts

I went from 64% on level 20 down to 12% over night. Will this be fixed or am I stuck with it. Level 20 goes twice as slow as it is.

Avatar image for lilburtonboy748
lilburtonboy748

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lilburtonboy748
Member since 2007 • 2536 Posts
I had point loss too....lame
Valamil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Valamil
Member since 2006 • 298 Posts
Same problem. Fix please!
Force_field

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Force_field

Well now, the conclusion leads us to this point:

most level 20 (or around) users are affected by this "little bit of stealing business", so lets get loud :o

GIVE ME BACK MY LEVEL POINTS!!!

semperfi816

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 semperfi816
Member since 2008 • 5083 Posts

OMG me too 19 (45) down to 17 (71)

YEAH ME TOO AND I WANT MORE I WOULDVE BEEN LIKE LVL 19 60 %

vlin1108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 vlin1108
Member since 2007 • 1908 Posts
My user level has also decreased for no apparent reason. Now it'll take me longer to become a moderator. :(
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
My user level has also decreased for no apparent reason. Now it'll take me longer to become a moderator. :(vlin1108
What does user level have to do with being a moderator? :?
Teivan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Teivan
Member since 2005 • 1967 Posts

The way that levels are assigned changed somewhat today for users between the levels of 16 to 23, level 46 & 47 and > level 70.

There has been no point loss and the total number of points needed to reach level 23 has not changed. Let me repeat that. There has been no point loss. Only the number of points needed to reach a level has changed.

The back story:

I'm sure by now those of you around (or past) level 20 have heard of how level 20 was called the h*ll level. I don't know the joke or the game, but I've been told that this was a an obscur reference to an older game (if you know which game, please post the link) where level 20 was practically impossible to get past. Over the years the joke stopped being funny and level 20 just became a level on GameSpot that everyone hates.

Over the last couple of months there has been a lot of discussion in the office around levels and how they should be assigned. That hasn't been worked out, but what did come out of it was that we didn't like level 20 either. :P

What this means:

In order to make level 20 less... well... insert your bad remark about level 20 here... we re-weighted the number of points needed to get past it to levels 16 - 23. This means that some levels are now easier to get to and some are more difficult. For example, you used to be able to go from level 16 to level 17 in a day or two. Now that journey takes a little longer but is not significantly more difficult. Level 20 on the other hand will no longer take 4x as long as going from level 24 to 25.

However, keeping somewhat in the spirit of the original joke, level 20 is still more difficult than the surrounding levels. It just won't drive you nuts anymore.

For those of you already past level 20, please do not get upset. As I mentioned above, the total number of points needed to reach level 23 are exactly the same as before. If it took you 3 years to reach level 23 it will still take the next person 3 years to reach level 23 (assuming they use the site exactly as you did of course).

Level 46/47 are now real levels. Through some sort of typo or long lost break in the fabric of time & space it took 0 points to go from level 46 to level 47. This essentially bypassed the level. This has also been changed.

Level 71 is no longer the max level available. Because of this, level 71 was given a new name so that the new max level can stay the king. And that's all I'm going to say about that. ;)

I can't get into exact details of the required # of points for each level (that'd be cheating) but I hope this helps clarify what is going on.

polishkid99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#20 polishkid99
Member since 2007 • 4787 Posts
i lost 20% :(
Teivan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Teivan
i lost 20% :( polishkid99
You kept the same # of points as before. The % will go up faster now. Trust me, you'll get through 20 faster than you would have.
Jerell_rast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jerell_rast
Member since 2004 • 7095 Posts
I'm sure by now those of you around (or past) level 20 have heard of how level 20 was called the h*ll level. I don't know the joke or the game, but I've been told that this was a an obscur reference to an older game (if you know which game, please post the link) where level 20 was practically impossible to get past. Over the years the joke stopped being funny and level 20 just became a level on GameSpot that everyone hates.Teivan
Metal Slime is from the Dragon Warrior game for the NES. Thanks for the update. I'll sticky this for the time being. Feel free to un-stick when needed.
Avatar image for mastetofthedark
mastetofthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mastetofthedark
Member since 2008 • 16924 Posts
Lol, this happens RIGHT after I get out of Level 20. :lol:
semperfi816

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 semperfi816

The back story:

What this means:

Teivan

so i'll be able to get lvl 19 quicker then before?

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 clicketyclick
Member since 2008 • 7136 Posts

Teivan

That wasn't the only thing to change. User levels have also decreased. I also went down two levels. A thread in the Ask the Mods forum led me to believe that this is a glitch that will be fixed, but are you saying that the level loss/deduction is intentional? And doesn't this just replace the pain that it is to get through level 20 with the pain of having to repeat levels 18, 19, and 20?

DarkJeremy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DarkJeremy26
Member since 2008 • 1376 Posts

DarkJeremy26 Lv 20 74% now Im at Lv 20 46% what the hell happened? I want this fixed please. Its bad enough my Toipcs I create havent been showing up/displayed for 4 days now but this is uncalled for. please put back my 74% because it took me 8 Months to get to Level 20 and I worked really hard to get this far.

Thank you.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MAILER_DAEMON
[QUOTE="Teivan"]

clicketyclick

That wasn't the only thing to change. User levels have also decreased. I also went down two levels. A thread in the Ask the Mods forum led me to believe that this is a glitch that will be fixed, but are you saying that the level loss/deduction is intentional? And doesn't this just replace the pain that it is to get through level 20 with the pain of having to repeat levels 18, 19, and 20?

The points haven't changed. The % in your profile isn't your points, but combined with your level, they indicate how close you are to the next level. No one's points have changed, but markers behind the scenes that note when a new level starts have been moved. Levels were "lost" but points weren't taken away. You'll still reach 23 at the same point you would before if you keep up the pace you had before, but the levels just start at different points.
Jerell_rast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Jerell_rast
Member since 2004 • 7095 Posts

DarkJeremy26 Lv 20 74% now Im at Lv 20 46% what the hell happened? I want this fixed please. Its bad enough my Toipcs I create havent been showing up/displayed for 4 days now but this is uncalled for. please put back my 74% because it took me 8 Months to get to Level 20 and I worked really hard to get this far.

Thank you.

DarkJeremy26
Read the first post, closely. Especially the bolded part.
bigd575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

#30 bigd575
Member since 2008 • 6192 Posts
Well I thought I was the only one. thanks for explaining what happened.
itwiz90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#31 itwiz90
Member since 2003 • 3037 Posts

So now I have to virtually start all over again in level 17 when I was at 19 with 86%. Couln't you make the adjustment, but keep the current users at their respective levels. It seems I am being penalized for something beyond my control. It was a lot of hard work to get to level 19, 86%. I am not angry just concerned, may be if I was notified the of the change advance, it would not have come as such a shock.

semperfi816

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 semperfi816

So now I have to virtually start all over again in level 17 when I was at 19 with 86%. Couln't you make the adjustment, but keep the current users at their respective levels. It seems I am being penalized for something beyond my control. It was a lot of hard work to get to level 19, 86%. I am not angry just concerned, may be if I was notified the of the change advance, it would not have come as such a shock.

itwiz90

i know and i was so excited to be lvl 20

i would really like to be put back to my original lvl

msudude211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 msudude211
Member since 2006 • 44517 Posts
[QUOTE="itwiz90"]

semperfi816

i know and i was so excited to be lvl 20

i would really like to be put back to my original lvl

itwiz90
Again - you aren't being penalized. Read the Admin response. You're still going to get to level 23 the same time you were previously.
RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#34 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts
Heh, I actually kinda liked how excessively long lvl20 was tbh, made me stop caring about my level; realistically it's pretty irrelevant past lvl10 anyway; saves people the irritation of an excessively long level though I guess; and fixes those levels that were often skipped too, without actually truly lowering the stage people are on..as an aside, for those of you in the affected levels - 16 to 23, 46, and 47, if you get the max % gain every day, feel free to let us know in WN, those levels now need updating to account for the changes, and should give a better idea of just how much they've changed - the overall minimum days (may be + or - 1 seen as % carries over into the next level each time) for each group of levels should remain the same if the points themselves haven't been changed. Also, I take it people between 21 (or even at the very end of 20?) and 23 would've in fact jumped level or a bunch of extra %? seen as 20 is now short and 21-23 are now longer, just in the same respect that those only partway into 20 or in levels 16-19 would've lost some % due to the moving of all the boundaries..of course, it's unlikely that people gaining extra % would bother to post here about it.
Force_field

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Force_field

OK I can (sort of) understand what are you trying to do, BUT no one should be penalized for that.....

So what happened, ppl around lvl 20 and 4x and blah blah, are "repositioned" but "no points lost"? How can anybody keep their levels unchanged, and some of us even lost 3 levels (seems that very early 20 has gone as low as late 17!!!).

You just should do your work, but without any level loss... who is there, should remain there... why everyone must be "bad", why you can't just give some of us "easy 20" and let it pass...???

Now the "value" system has been shaken, and many lvl 20 or so users will be disappointed and quit their community work!

I'm not the one who will change anything, because I'm not the one who has enough time to even read all the important stuff online, but for others... that hurts!

At least try not to do that anymore please, that was intentional face slapping of faithful users, and THAT ISN'T SMART!

Chrz, FF

samiup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36 samiup
Member since 2006 • 767 Posts

the semi unofficial response is semi unambiguous,

it could be easily explained as: Some levels were shrunk while others were expanded, and thus, closing the gap of how many points are needed to get pass each level without modifying the number of accumulated points.

in my case, i was ~60% of lvl20, now im at 14% lvl20, meaning that one or more lower levelshave been expanded, either pushing level 20 up (in case some higher lvls have shrunk too) or squeezing it.If that's true, then i should be progressing through lvl20 much faster now...

(that's as far as understood)

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MAILER_DAEMON
Force_field, the levels and the points are completely linked. You don't seem to know how the levels work. :?
Force_field

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Force_field

Is that what you see in my msg MAILER_DAEMON?

OK, whatever, I don't understand...

OF COURSE THAT THEY ARE LINKED, and don't try to muffle your "point redistribution" in some "you don't understand" story!

YOU DOWNGRADED SOME PEOPLE AND THAT'S THE ONLY TRUTH, nothing else!

If YOU think that you're doing the right thing, that's another story, but PEPOPLE ARE DISAPPOINTED, period!

God, I can't believe this, I'm wasting my time here trying to be polite and "save" peoples dignity...

Do whatever you want... I don't care anymore

Teivan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Teivan

the semi unofficial response is semi unambiguous,

it could be easily explained as: Some levels were shrunk while others were expanded, and thus, closing the gap of how many points are needed to get pass each level without modifying the number of accumulated points.

in my case, i was ~60% of lvl20, now im at 14% lvl20, meaning that one or more lower levelshave been expanded, either pushing level 20 up (in case some higher lvls have shrunk too) or squeezing it.If that's true, then i should be progressing through lvl20 much faster now...

(that's as far as understood)

samiup

That is pretty much correct. I guess by trying to explain it thoroughly I just made it more confusing. :(

Also, JodyR's post is located: http://www.gamespot.com/community/blogs/community-blog/909185261/26754860/minor-profile-level-changes.html

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts

Is that what you see in my msg MAILER_DAEMON?

OK, whatever, I don't understand...

OF COURSE THAT THEY ARE LINKED, and don't try to muffle your "point redistribution" in some "you don't understand" story!

YOU DOWNGRADED SOME PEOPLE AND THAT'S THE ONLY TRUTH, nothing else!

If YOU think that you're doing the right thing, that's another story, but PEPOPLE ARE DISAPPOINTED, period!

God, I can't believe this, I'm wasting my time here trying to be polite and "save" peoples dignity...

Do whatever you want... I don't care anymore

Force_field
You need to calm down as you do NOT seem to get the gist of Tevians post. You did NOT lose any points. It may seem that way now but trust us, you didn't.
Force_field

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Force_field

As I said, I don't care anymore...

I know you didn't take away anyone's points... just moved LEVEL scales...

I just see that you're doing something wrong...

Killing your own business and slapping YOUR OWN MEMBERS for the sake of someone "feeling better"...

Nothing else to say...

Hungry_bunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Hungry_bunny
Member since 2006 • 14293 Posts

NO points have been taken away, everybody are still at the same point they were last week. The only thing that has changed is that the points where you level up have been moved a bit to even things up. It will not take you longer time to reach level 23... a lot of people here seem to have misunderstood that. I think I have to make a sketch >_>

Level 20 has been made smaller, THAT'S IT.

ayanami_rei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ayanami_rei
Member since 2005 • 17115 Posts

As I said, I don't care anymore...

I know you didn't take away anyone's points... just moved LEVEL scales...

I just see that you're doing something wrong...

Killing your own business and slapping YOUR OWN MEMBERS for the sake of someone "feeling better"...

Nothing else to say...

Force_field
How is it killing the business? :| After reading this post, I think that levels on GS shouldn't exist. They are just levels and nothing more, nothing less. You didn't lose points. You didn't go anywhere. Levels have been moved up. I used to be on level 47. I'm on level 46 now. :| You don't see me complaining. I don't even pay attention to what level I'm even on. But like I said--and just as what Hungry_bunny is showing you--you didn't go anywhere. You're still in the same spot as before. It'll be easier for you to get to level 21 than it was before. :| Be grateful for that.
El_Trombe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 El_Trombe
Member since 2006 • 35 Posts

tnx for explanation,..at least we'r at the same spot - gamespot... :D

semperfi816

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 semperfi816

NO points have been taken away, everybody are still at the same point they were last week. The only thing that has changed is that the points where you level up have been moved a bit to even things up. It will not take you longer time to reach level 23... a lot of people here seem to have misunderstood that. I think I have to make a sketch >_>

Hungry_bunny

if that were true i would be lvl 18

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MAILER_DAEMON
[QUOTE="Hungry_bunny"]

semperfi816

if that were true i would be lvl 18

Did you look at his picture? Notice that the lines for all of the other levels got moved?
mastetofthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mastetofthedark
So the exact amount of minimal days you would stay in Level 20 isn't confirmed yet? (after the change)
caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48 caddy
Member since 2005 • 28709 Posts
So the exact amount of minimal days you would stay in Level 20 isn't confirmed yet? (after the change)mastetofthedark
No. Nobody will unless somebody tracks it. It will take less time than the 2 months it did before though.
1uP_OnYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 1uP_OnYou
Member since 2008 • 3183 Posts
I am a level 20 (close to 21) however I have been downgraded to level 19 for no apparent reason. I have not been moderated with point loss either. It be much appericated if this can be resolved and brought back to my current level. Thanks Moderator's.
mastetofthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 mastetofthedark
I am a level 20 (close to 21) however I have been downgraded to level 19 for no apparent reason. I have not been moderated with point loss either. It be much appericated if this can be resolved and brought back to my current level. Thanks Moderator's.1uP_OnYou
It already said a lot of times that they've fixed the Leveling system so that it'll take less to go through level 20. Refer to this picture:  (pic from hungry_bunny)
[QUOTE="mastetofthedark"]So the exact amount of minimal days you would stay in Level 20 isn't confirmed yet? (after the change)Caddy06_88
No. Nobody will unless somebody tracks it. It will take less time than the 2 months it did before though.

Oh ok. :)