Voting Problem for Best Of 2010

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dr_jashugan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 dr_jashugan
Member since 2006 • 2665 Posts

I don't know if I'm the only one that has a problem with voting for the Best of 2010.

At some point, during the voting process, I suddenly get logged out. I tried to log in again and but after a moment of voting I get logged out again.

This problem is the same as last year. How am I supposed to know if my votes got trough or not?

This is also related with getting the Reader's Choice 2010 emblem. If we miss a single vote, we might not get this emblem.

Hope someone can shed some light about this problem.

My thanks in advance for any help offered.

gmax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 gmax  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 6865 Posts
You are not alone. In fact, it is almost certainly affecting the vast majority of users. The problem is that the best of voting feature is trying to set more cookies than most browsers will allow. When that happens, different browsers do different things. From what you describe, it sounds like you are using IE. There are a lot of ways to work around this issue. One thing you can do is clear your cache and cookies, log back in, vote through half the ballot, clear your cache and cookies and log back in again, and vote through the other half of the ballot. Since you are using IE, to clear you cache and cookies you might have to do it twice to actually get it to take effect. Make sure IE starts on a blank page, then shut it down completely. Start IE, clear cache and cookies, then shut it down completely; repeat. Depending on how your machine is set up you could probably also create 2 Windows users and vote half the list while logged in as one and the other half while logged in as the other. While a hassle (like all of these work arounds), this has the upside of retaining all of the poll cookies, so you can actually go back and continue to see the progress of the voting. Clearing your cookies will cause the site to send you the voting ballot again, even though you've voted already - the cookies we're having to clear to remain functional are used to determine whether the site sends you ballots or results. (And that's all those cookies actually do - the cookies are not your "votes" per se - those are on the GS servers - hopefully.)

duhNeighbour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 duhNeighbour
Member since 2007 • 317 Posts

Is it also a cookies issue if after clicking on a choice the screen fades out to show the results but freezes halfway and never shows the results. I'm using Firefox.

And same as last year, there are categories that just won't accept my vote. The voting button stays there even after I voted.

gmax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 gmax  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 6865 Posts
I'll have to check on the "half fade" later to see what that might be, but just guessing, it could be cookie related. Or not. When you've got something that's obviously broken it can be tricky getting past the obvious brokenness to any other brokenness that is merely less obvious. Firefox users have a few additional tactics they can try, but the simplest thing is probably still to just vote half the ballot, clear cache and cookies, log back in, and vote the other half.

karate-ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5 karate-ka
Member since 2003 • 808 Posts

Firefox users have a few additional tactics they can try, but the simplest thing is probably still to just vote half the ballot, clear cache and cookies, log back in, and vote the other half.gmax

I tried this, but how can I check whether this was successful or not? Thank you!