Video viewing issue (video pages missing left and right columns)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

spoonOFknife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 spoonOFknife
Member since 2005 • 64 Posts

Hi, I'm pretty sure it hasn't been happening long but when I watch a video now I only get the center column with the video/comments, the right column with download links etc is gone.

I have tried a few videos but the assassins creed 2trailer in particular I wanted to grab a higher res download.

I'm using chrome but I tried in IE8 with the same result.

If anyone can confirm that it is a temporary issue that would be cool.

Thanks

spoonOFknife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 spoonOFknife

hmm found away around it for now by searching assassins creed 2, and under the movies tab clicking download

gmax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 gmax  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 6865 Posts
I can't tell you whether or not it is temporary, but I checked a few videos and I am also seeing it. I'm pretty sure the html for the left and right columns is actually gone, so it will most likely affect all browsers. I'm kind of surprised we haven't seen more reports on this yet. This reduction links to a cropped screen capture: [ image removed ] I'll pin this for now. If it turns out to be temporary it'll get unpinned later.

spoonOFknife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 spoonOFknife
cheers
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#5 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

I'm seeing this problem also. It happens as soon as you select a video to view.

I'm wondering if the new Verizon Fios ads have anything to do with this glitch.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 topsemag55

This glitch is causing levelling-up to become quite tiresome and time-consuming.

Makes me wonder if the system is still recording level percentage points.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 topsemag55

g_max, this glitch does not occur with the videos located on the Tokyo Game webpages.

I searched for "Risen (PC)", went to the Game Summary, then clicked on the cinematic video link.

Took me to this webpage which appears intact.

Montague

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Montague
Member since 2002 • 92 Posts

it started two days ago because i right click and download everything in hi res and watch it later. Can't be the ads as i am a paying member and i have those turned off. It doesn't happen on the TGS pages as mentioned and it also is going on with Safari so it is something in the code and doing it for every game i have tried to download updated video's for that isn't a part of TGS.

spoonOFknife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 spoonOFknife
g_max_ found that the pages are missing the actual html, this means the problem isn't that the columns aren't showing, they just aren't there so no matter what browser you use they wont display. And if you really need to download a video, locate it using the search feature and click "Download the Video"
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 topsemag55

g_max, not making any accusations here, but possibly an incorrect click might have been made when the latest new ads (Verizon) were inserted.

I've noticed a few videos that used to have ads no longer do, so you have new ads and no ads.

gmax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gmax  Moderator
I don't actually do any of these things so I can't really claim to know one way or another, but the impression I get is that the issue being discussed in this thread - the missing left and right columns on pages that show videos - is almost entirely separate from the mechanism that pulls in the ads before the video starts. Even for users who are not blocking any ads, there are times when there won't be an ad that shows up before the video plays. That is an indication that either the attempt to pull the ad in failed, or that perhaps there has indeed been an oversight and they haven't lined up any ads to bring in. Missing ads are generally harmless, although I haven't been able to study an example of the bad ads that actually prevent the video from ever playing - I don't know how the bad ads manager to do that yet.
spoonOFknife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 spoonOFknife
looks like this issue has been resolved, cheers for the float g_max_
gmax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 gmax  Moderator
And thanks to the staff. Enjoy the videos *and* those left and right columns!