Video uploading proplem

This topic is locked from further discussion.

matastig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 matastig
Member since 2009 • 1062 Posts

Can anyone please fix the video uploading glitch already:cry: i used WMV, MOV, and MP4 format and i tested the same file on 2 different websites and it works just fine , so i't's not from our side just saying :)

oh and just to let you know this is a very old glitch and it's random (once i uploaded a video file and got the same "Video encode failed" PM for 3 times 2 files in AVI format and the last one i used WMV and it worked the third time around ) so i guess it's a random glitch.

i've tried to upload a video file for like (8 times during the last 4 days ) but still not working.

AQWBlaZer91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 418

#2 AQWBlaZer91
Member since 2010 • 868 Posts

I try to upload my videos in WMV format and it always says Failed to Decode whenever it finishes. Can anyone tell me about the issue and how do I solve it.

matastig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 matastig

I try to upload my videos in WMV format and it always says Failed to Decode whenever it finishes. Can anyone tell me about the issue and how do I solve it.

AQWBlaZer91

I've tried all kind of formats and now i can assure you GS's video hosting is completely broken.

P.S: i posted this thread long time ago and no one seems to care about it.

AQWBlaZer91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 AQWBlaZer91

So that means that I can't upload any videos in any possiable. Anyway I contact Gamespot so that I can inform them of this problem.

AQWBlaZer91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AQWBlaZer91

What Video Format do you use for uploading your videos.

matastig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 matastig

What Video Format do you use for uploading your videos.

AQWBlaZer91

well usually WMV, seems to be the only working format for me atleast (but back in the days of course ) MOV, MP4 and FLV has a small chance of success, for example a year ago i uploaded a video using MOV, MP4, AVI and FLV but it didn't work then after that i converted my video to WMV format it worked just fine.(maybe Gamespot uses some old versions of codecs of some sort i don't know ) maybe it's just a random glitch either way we do have a problem uploading videos here that's for sure.

Elk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 3

#7 Elk
Member since 2002 • 476 Posts

I've been having the same problems these last few days and I'm using the exact same settings as I always use. It used to fail infrequently but randomly. Now I'm getting encode failed messages on everything.

matastig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 matastig

I've been having the same problems these last few days and I'm using the exact same settings as I always use. It used to fail infrequently but randomly. Now I'm getting encode failed messages on everything.

Elk

exactly, we used to have these kind of encoding errors on a random basis, i just hope someone read this and care enough to solve the problem.

AngstOverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 AngstOverlord
Member since 2008 • 139 Posts

I don't even get encode error messages, the blasted things just never display which is totally bizarre considering at least one I upped last month (and deleted in hopes of re-upping properly, fat chance) showed up in search. I've tried MP4, WMV and AVI but none seem to take properly despite YouTube having no qualms. It isn't an issue of filesize, either. It's just bizarre. I get no thumbnail but the description and all posts, just no video.

I'll try and dig up another couple of codec/format combinations but unless I get some assistance I'm just going to give up. It's not worth the headache to annoy people with clips from Field Goal if it's going to be so stubborn. I wish I could remember what I used for my videos that actually worked... see if the uploader chokes on them now, too...

Using Firefox 9.0.1, IE 8. Ideas apart from the aforementioned codec/format juggling or animal/human sacrifices? The later is unfeasible as the carpeting would stain too easily.

AngstOverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 AngstOverlord
Member since 2008 • 139 Posts

No new progress on my end- the new combinations failed like the others did. What's kind of funny is that the video shows up as a searchable item though on my video page my only working option is the delete button. It's weeeird. Link for Taito Memories II Gekan- Field Goal it yields in search. Pulls an invalid video error.

Under the supposition that this is never going to be corrected, is there a way to display videos linked from Youtube in blog entries? If not, no big, I can upload a placeholder image and just link it that way. It's a bit ridiculous, but hey, it's a solution.

Elk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Elk

Sadly only GS staff can display YouTube videos in their blog posts.

I'm hoping the lack of action on this is because the techies are already working on a replacement to the current video system. Although this is just a theroy because I've seen new video players on GameSpot recently, but a new video player isn't a new encoder, I hope it's part of a larger project.

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#13 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts

Sadly only GS staff can display YouTube videos in their blog posts.>Elk

Actually that's not totally true as I can embed them fine and I am not staff.
RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#14 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts
It should be possible for all users (level10+iirc) to embed videos in their blog provided they are uploaded to gamespot and the BBCode for embedding videos on the site is used, of course that means that video uploading on the site needs to be working too. Embedding external videos only staff (and maybe ex-staff I guess? =\) can do though to my knowledge, as the necessary tags (namely the embed/iframe tags) are not allowed for normal users.
Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts
. Embedding external videos only staff (and maybe ex-staff I guess? =\) can do though to my knowledge, as the necessary tags (namely the embed/iframe tags) are not allowed for normal users.robbristow
Yeah I must have some left over perms because when I tried with my alt it failed.
Lithos_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 Lithos_
Member since 2008 • 1017 Posts

Is there anyone taking care of this issue? I'ts about time -- past time actually -- for it to get fixed.

I still can't upload videos. "Video encode failed" is all I get.

matastig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 matastig

Is there anyone taking care of this issue? I'ts about time -- past time actually -- for it to get fixed.

I still can't upload videos. "Video encode failed" is all I get.

Lithos_

Still waiting for this to be fixed as well:cry:

Elk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Elk

Looks like I can now embed YouTube videos in my blog.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

Elk
I have to try this...
matastig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 matastig

Elk

Are you sure? can you please tell us how we can do it:P

Sidburn19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Sidburn19  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 4715 Posts

matastig

It's easy, you just need to copy the embed code into a blog/forum and hit post. Make sure you don't hit the preview button that seems to mess it up for some reason.

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#22 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts

[QUOTE="matastig"]

Sidburn19

It's easy, you just need to copy the embed code into a blog/forum and hit post. Make sure you don't hit the preview button that seems to mess it up for some reason.

Cus it's bugged as hell lol, also the only thing on the entire site that seems to require the editor in order to make it work - everything else works better without the editor in my experience :? Test: (and removed, making page load incredibly slow for some reason) Okay, so the editor isn't needed still, though that allowfullscreen is very weird, it's technically not an attribute of the tag at all if it doesn't have a value, though perhaps this is one of those html5 things, as I'm not familiar with all the new bits yet...very non-standard implementation regardless. Paragraph tags being required is fail too, but hardly the 1st thing on the site to require them, even many special characters need them.
Kelayr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Kelayr
Member since 2005 • 61857 Posts
Edit: After further testing, it seems that normal users aren't able to embed videos in their posts. Please disregard the original content of this post, which I've placed in the spoiler tag below to avoid confusion. [spoiler] For those wanting to embed videos, here's some example code.

That gives you this:

Two points to note: 1. The iframe code must be placed within a set of <p></p> tags. 2. If you want to quote a post with a video in it, only use the normal quote function and not Quick Quote. Quick Quote will insert ="" after the allowfullscreen attribute (so it becomes allowfullscreen=""), which the filter refuses to accept and gives you an illegal tag error. This workaround of sorts makes me think that being able to post videos like this at all is more of a loophole than an intended feature. Thanks horgen for noticing this one. [/spoiler]
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 horgen  Moderator

[QUOTE="matastig"]

Sidburn19

Preview button has not given me any troubles, except when I used a completely different embedding code that didn't go through. With preview of that code, I removed the text box. :|
matastig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 matastig

[QUOTE="Sidburn19"]

[QUOTE="matastig"]

horgen123

Preview button has not given me any troubles, except when I used a completely different embedding code that didn't go through. With preview of that code, I removed the text box. :|

You know i'm a member of some none-famous casual site (trophy related site) and we can post blogs, pics and embed Youtube videos just like that , the site created by some casual programmers , while Gamespot belong to CNET/CBS who hires professionals to do that job and we still need to work our way around the site to do some casual stuff, i'm not trying to insult anyone here because GS still my favorite video gaming website , but it's just i care that much, shame on us!

Edit before even posting: i just rewrote my reply AGAIN because when i hit the Submit button i got an error, see what i mean, work your way around spotters!:(

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 horgen  Moderator
Thing is GS doesn't want us to post videos like that, unless it is uploaded to GS. Wish it was possible to post youtube videos in our blogs, but no. :(
Sidburn19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Sidburn19  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 4715 Posts

Thing is GS doesn't want us to post videos like that, unless it is uploaded to GS. Wish it was possible to post youtube videos in our blogs, but no. :( horgen123

You can post youtube videos in your blog. Just check out my profile.

matastig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 matastig

This problem been here for like months now , what they are waiting for? to be on the 6 o'clock news! to finally do something! i don't feel GS respect its users anymore.

we posted angry blogs to complain(me and my freinds like 100's of times ) ,only one replied (sarcastically/but politely ): you can report it to GameSpot's technical support forums , we reported to the tech, they totally ignored us!! i mean C'MON ALREADY with , we're looking at it, or give us some time etc i mean how long to fix the site's most important basics? , we have blogs issues, pics, vids, glitchy Inbox (and yet once again it's finally working after like 6 hours of waiting to read or send PM's, and this happens alot!!! ) and same as with Fuse, i mean don't you think it's time to get us a new and more capable tech's?

i'm so angry and so disappointed , we are gamers, we help building this community , by posting blogs, posts, guides and recording Game-paly vids to help other members , i know it's been a year since someone gave a damn about us members , and please don't even say you care because you don't!! me and a few of my friends here complained alot and posted our asses off , to report issues and give suggestions , but nothing!! so really what is it? you lost your last ounce of respect to us members? and that you don't care anymore? if that's the case, so please and for the love of all gods say it already! and let us move on with our lives and forget all about it. what a sham.

i'm not going to report anything anymore, i have no faith left.

and one last thing..actually it's a funny story, you like funny stories right? the last year or so i worked hard , on recording trophy guides (for GoW 1,2, 3 , Ghost of Sparta, Chains of Olympus, Uncharted 2, White Knight Chronicles 2 , MGS3, MGS Peace Walker and some few other games ) and the best and fastest way to Plat those games, and i even spent over 400+ on WKC and recorded like tons of videos , on how to kill Bosses, get rare drops, find rare temp quests, and how to level your town to max with great high stats, another 150+ on FF VII CC guide to unlock everything, and about 300+ on Persona 3, and when i finally decided to to finally do it, i asked around the spot on how to upload saves (just to include with the PSP guides ) while trying to upload my first MGS Peace walker vid, i found out that we can't upload vids to the site anymore.

so thank you for wasting my time , and i gotta say i'm kinda relieved, because i just realized, why did i even bothered!? replaying through all these games, and put like hundreds of hundreds of hours, to post in a site that doesn't even care!

ZombieReaper33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 ZombieReaper33
Member since 2003 • 550 Posts

I can't play any videos on Gamespot and haven't been able to for weeks now. :!: Like everyone says, I can watch videos all day long on other sites just NOT Gamespot.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 horgen  Moderator

[QUOTE="horgen123"]Thing is GS doesn't want us to post videos like that, unless it is uploaded to GS. Wish it was possible to post youtube videos in our blogs, but no. :( Sidburn19

You can post youtube videos in your blog. Just check out my profile.

iframe tags get eaten... What did you do?
Kelayr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Kelayr
iframe tags get eaten... What did you do? horgen123
Look at the date of his blog. It was posted back when us Rangers could do it.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 horgen  Moderator
[QUOTE="horgen123"]iframe tags get eaten... What did you do? silentexistence
Look at the date of his blog. It was posted back when us Rangers could do it.

But his reply to mine was when we could not do it... I think.
Kelayr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Kelayr
But his reply to mine was when we could not do it... I think. horgen123
Maybe he wasn't aware that the ability was taken away from us or something. :?
SuperB56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#35 SuperB56
Member since 2008 • 162 Posts

This is ridiculous Gamespot. I don't know why you can't just fix the problem and end it already. It doesn't make anything easier to just blow it off and procrastinate. Just fix the uploading problem.

Davulao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37 Davulao
Member since 2007 • 1042 Posts

Been trying again and again, and in different formats to uplaod a video. I dont even get "Video encode failed". It just says PLEASE WAIT...........
Its been hours and my video is only 17 seconds long. :( Good old GlitchSpot.