Transferring Union Leadership (leader is banned, etc.) UPDATED

• 146 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

VinceL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 VinceL
Member since 2004 • 3856 Posts

[FINAL UPDATE: New thread created regarding Union leader change]

[Update: The union admin tools have been fixed.]
[Update 12/13: Added guidelines to when we can and cannot transfer leadership.]
[Update 6/5: Contact VinceL via private message instead of replying to this thread]

There are a handful of cases after the redesign in which I transferred the leadership of a union from a banned leader to someone else, and those transfers did NOT occur successfully. I know which ones they were and have sent them in to be fixed. If you were one of these cases and have not been fixed yet, please reply to this thread.

Otherwise, if your union's leader is banned, use your union board to hold an election for a new leader, and then reply via a private message to VinceL with the winner's username. Also include a link to the thread with your election results.

RULES OF TRANSFER

The leader of the union has to be banned, deleted his account, or in some other way had his account effectively denied community access before a union transfer is eligible. If the leader wants to transfer his leadership, he/she should do so using the "Resign" link below his profile link in the Admin -> Members tab. If the leader wants to choose a specific person to take over, he/she may contact me to do the transfer - and if the leader is banned, he/she should contact me (or one of the officers, who should contact me) before an election is held.

If the union leader would just like to transfer union leadership temporarily, I can do that too. For example, if the leader goes on an extended vacation or something.

If a union leader has just not logged in for a long time and has not left any indication about transferring membership, that is unfortunately not a good enough cause to intervene. I cannot transfer the leadership in that situation since it's the union leader's responsibility to support and maintain the union, and if he/she is not banned or in some way prevented from being a leader, I can't interfere. If this is the case for your union, and you cannot continue with only the officers running the place, I would recommend selecting a leader to form a new union.

I hope you can understand this policy. I don't want to run into the issue again where the union leader was gone for X number of days and the leadership was transferred, only to have the leader return angry that his/her union was taken from him/her.

We'll probably invest in a technical solution to this issue in the following months which will allow unions to resolve leadership transfers themselves. I know there is a strong support for the co-leadership idea, so you don't need to remind me.

Sentinelrv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Sentinelrv
Member since 2002 • 23386 Posts
You guys should make it so it's done automatically. Like if the leader is banned, a telegram would be sent out to all members explaining this, and the union would select the new leader just as it does when a leader resigns.
_Sam_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 _Sam_
Member since 2003 • 31483 Posts
You guys should make it so it's done automatically. Like if the leader is banned, a telegram would be sent out to all members explaining this, and the union would select the new leader just as it does when a leader resigns.Sentinelrv

That sounds hard to implent
Gum_Bercules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Gum_Bercules
Member since 2005 • 8467 Posts
Or you should give the person banned/suspended enough time to give leadership to someone else. Even if he is just suspended becuase a union with out a leader for even a week could bring it down a lot.
_Sam_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 _Sam_
Member since 2003 • 31483 Posts
Or you should give the person banned/suspended enough time to give leadership to someone else. Even if he is just suspended becuase a union with out a leader for even a week could bring it down a lot.Gum_Bercules

Or, there should be an option that a leader can select one person who gets leadership whenever they haven't signed onto GameSpot in 30 days or they were banned/suspended. Once promoted, that leader could ONLY change it if the precious leader was banned from GameSpot
Lu_Bu01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Lu_Bu01
Member since 2005 • 13551 Posts
'least I understand the situation now.
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#7 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
so when's this problem going to be fixed?
VinceL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 VinceL
You guys should make it so it's done automatically. Like if the leader is banned, a telegram would be sent out to all members explaining this, and the union would select the new leader just as it does when a leader resigns.Sentinelrv

Will do (I think. I'd have to re-read the documentation).
hittin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#9 hittin
Member since 2005 • 26966 Posts
Some excellent work admins, you transferred the banned leader from the anti everything union to some random guy, not me
Sentinelrv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Sentinelrv

[QUOTE="Sentinelrv"]You guys should make it so it's done automatically. Like if the leader is banned, a telegram would be sent out to all members explaining this, and the union would select the new leader just as it does when a leader resigns.VinceL

Will do (I think. I'd have to re-read the documentation).

Wow, I feel as if I have real power here! :o

Gum_Bercules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Gum_Bercules
Member since 2005 • 8467 Posts
You certainly do seem to influence the admins a lot, or persuade them rather. Anyways it's a good idea there needs to be some way to transfer leadership without all of the hassle.
hittin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#12 hittin
Member since 2005 • 26966 Posts
im still not leader, please vincel fix this ?
for the anti everything union
cubedman990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 cubedman990
Member since 2004 • 5354 Posts
You certainly do seem to influence the admins a lot, or persuade them rather. Anyways it's a good idea there needs to be some way to transfer leadership without all of the hassle.Gum_Bercules
He does have great ideas, and thinks of them logically...
Not just posting "OMG BRING BACK ADVANCED SEARCH AND ADD A BUNCH OF STUFF WE NEVER AHD BEFORE!!11!11!1!"
Sentinelrv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Sentinelrv

[QUOTE="Gum_Bercules"]You certainly do seem to influence the admins a lot, or persuade them rather. Anyways it's a good idea there needs to be some way to transfer leadership without all of the hassle.cubedman990
He does have great ideas, and thinks of them logically...
Not just posting "OMG BRING BACK ADVANCED SEARCH AND ADD A BUNCH OF STUFF WE NEVER AHD BEFORE!!11!11!1!"

Posting like that doesn't get you anywhere. I like to lay all the details out so it's easily understandable.

VinceL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 VinceL
[QUOTE="hittin"]im still not leader, please vincel fix this ?
for the anti everything union

You are on the fix list. Technically, you have most of the leader's powers, and are listed on the union home page as the leader. The only things you can't do are promote/demote and telegram. You can change the union name, permissions, banners, and all that stuff.
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 UT_Wrestler
The nba union still needs new leadership, and I seem to be the only one dealing with this problem.  When is the problem going to be fixed?
stebo_2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 stebo_2005
Member since 2005 • 783 Posts

Don't forget about the Nascar Hall of Fame Union, just reminding you.

And I think that leaders should also get to pick someone at any point in his/her leadership to fill in for him/her if they get banned, suspended, etc.  Or if their just resigning instead of the leader changes being automated the leader choose who they want to become leader when the resign. Just an idea.

bulletproofcow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#18 bulletproofcow
Member since 2005 • 11261 Posts

Yeah at the Jak And Daxter union or leader isn't banned or anything like that. He is online and posts in other unions, but has not done anything for our union in a long time. We have PMed him many times but he ignores us. Can u do something? Our mods don't do anything either.(Note: If u r going to do something like remove him from leadership, please don't make me leader. i am not there enough to be a good leader.)

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/unions/home.php?union_id=JADU

Newborn1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Newborn1990
Member since 2004 • 7866 Posts

Theleader at the Metroid Union hasn't been at GameSpot for over 16 days.  He is inactive as well as his officers, and there is arising conflict at his board with some of his members.  That being said, I posted to the members of merging my UCB, the Everything Metroid Board, and the Metroid Union to be more active and effictive.  As well, to be more regulated by actual people of authority, such as a leader or an officer.  My reasons are specified in my thread.

Also, I've previously listed the Everything Metroid Board on the post restoration list.  Even though I'll be merging, I still need some threads back for convenience.  I can merge before the posts are restored, but I would like it if you can eventually find time to restore those posts, but I'm not trying to rush you.  Thanks Vince.

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 UT_Wrestler

The nba union's election results are in.  The winner appears to be myself.  Can we now get a transfer of leadership?

Check the link here: http://www.gamespot.com/pages/unions/read_article.php?topic_id=24053980&union_id=525

bulletproofcow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#22 bulletproofcow
Member since 2005 • 11261 Posts
Nevermind. I contacted the leader off gamespot and he transfered leadership.
Lu_Bu01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Lu_Bu01
Is Hijackers Inc. on the list?
VinceL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 VinceL

The nba union's election results are in. The winner appears to be myself. Can we now get a transfer of leadership?

Check the link here: http://www.gamespot.com/pages/unions/read_article.php?topic_id=24053980&union_id=525

UT_Wrestler

Done.
VinceL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 VinceL
[QUOTE="Lu_Bu01"]Is Hijackers Inc. on the list?

No, not yet... Can you give me the full details again? Sorry about having you repeat yourself, if you are, but I was sort of swamped before I could get this list together.
wallymartin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 wallymartin
Member since 2004 • 12165 Posts
The leader of the National Football League Union hasn't been on Gamespot for a souple of months.  So if we hold an election for a new leader, we can get it changed?
VinceL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 VinceL
I've updated the first post to answer the question of "If the union leader just hasn't been active/online in a long time, can we transfer union leadership?"
Sentinelrv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Sentinelrv

If a union leader has just not logged in for a long time and has not left any indication about transferring membership, that is unfortunately not a good enough cause to intervene. I cannot transfer the leadership in that situation since it's the union leader's responsibility to support and maintain the union, and if he/she is not banned or in some way prevented from being a leader, I can't interfere. If this is the case for your union, and you cannot continue with only the officers running the place, I would recommend selecting a leader to form a new union.VinceL

But then they would lose their entire member base, or almost all of it. What if the union leader has been gone for three months or more? This is a terrible way for a union to go.

I think that GameSpot should create a system where if the leader is inactive for so long, they receive an automatic PM notifying them that they will be kicked from leadership in X amount of days if they don't get active with the union again. It could also mention that if they don't care about the union anymore, then they should hold an election and pass the union on to the winner of the election. This is almost the same thing as the inactive union deletion system you mentioned about GameSpot creating before.

VinceL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 VinceL

[QUOTE="VinceL"]If a union leader has just not logged in for a long time and has not left any indication about transferring membership, that is unfortunately not a good enough cause to intervene. I cannot transfer the leadership in that situation since it's the union leader's responsibility to support and maintain the union, and if he/she is not banned or in some way prevented from being a leader, I can't interfere. If this is the case for your union, and you cannot continue with only the officers running the place, I would recommend selecting a leader to form a new union.Sentinelrv

But then they would lose their entire member base, or almost all of it. What if the union leader has been gone for three months or more? This is a terrible way for a union to go.

I think that GameSpot should create a system where if the leader is inactive for so long, they receive an automatic PM notifying them that they will be kicked from leadership in X amount of days if they don't get active with the union again. It could also mention that if they don't care about the union anymore, then they should hold an election and pass the union on to the winner of the election. This is almost the same thing as the inactive union deletion system you mentioned about GameSpot creating before.

I'm not saying this is a permanent policy, and fortunately we have a wealth of user-submitted suggestions as to how to implement a technical solution to the problem.
Lu_Bu01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Lu_Bu01
[QUOTE="VinceL"] [QUOTE="Lu_Bu01"]Is Hijackers Inc. on the list?

No, not yet... Can you give me the full details again? Sorry about having you repeat yourself, if you are, but I was sort of swamped before I could get this list together.

ok. I'm not really sure what details you need. The leader ScarfaceEvaStar was perm banned with all accounts so we need him resigned in order to have a leader.

EDIT: Is the Satanist Union's leader banned?
Lu_Bu01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Lu_Bu01
Anything else you need?
VinceL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 VinceL
I need to know that your union has held elections, and who the winner is.
Lu_Bu01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Lu_Bu01
[QUOTE="VinceL"]I need to know that your union has held elections, and who the winner is.

I'm not sure if you'll take this as credible or not, but he says he'll send you an email. In case that is not enough I have, however begun an election and have notified all members. I'll keep you updated on that.
Lu_Bu01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Lu_Bu01
Ok, nobuggs won the election

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/unions/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=24074227&union_id=3833&page=0
SSJ4Justin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36 SSJ4Justin
Member since 2004 • 6703 Posts
Question.  Does this apply to UCB's too?  Because theres one UCB that im a Mod to but the Admin got banned.
iforgotokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 iforgotokie
Member since 2005 • 5226 Posts

Is the Mercenaries Union on the list? The leader was banned before the remodel but now it says he's is on i think 24/7 and he ignores everyones pms. Also he now has a long number before his name, so I don't know what has happend. I have tried to form a new union but one of my charters always disappears, so I haven't been able to start one. We have already voted for a new leader and I'm it, so I think he might still be banned. I have pmed Bethany several times with no response or result, so I'm asking for you to please clear this up.

Here is the link to the election (to which everyone was notified of):  http://www.gamespot.com/pages/unions/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=21098722&union_id=1506

Or: http://www.gamespot.com/pages/unions/read_article.php?topic_id=21098700&union_id=1506

By the way our leader is:20201433415679324225907419972428-Landshark21

iforgotokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 iforgotokie
i mean he's the current leader the union wants removed.
VinceL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 VinceL
nobuggs and iforgotokie are taken care of (the delay was because of the long holiday). I am not transferring UCB's at the moment.
iforgotokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 iforgotokie
Thank you VinceL.
Lu_Bu01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Lu_Bu01
I need to know if this user is banned before we can do anything....I've asked admins several times........no answer.

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/profile/index.php?user=afalkoski2
VinceL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 VinceL
[QUOTE="Lu_Bu01"]I need to know if this user is banned before we can do anything....I've asked admins several times........no answer.

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/profile/index.php?user=afalkoski2

Not banned, still active.
Draconis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Draconis
Member since 2002 • 2790 Posts
I am trying to start up a union (Christian Fellowship Union) and I sent out the charter member invites. Three accpeted and they show as being accepted, I got an e-mail that the fourth member accepted, however when I go to my union page it still shows only 3 have accepted instead of the four as it should be, so the union cannot get started up. Please help, thanks :)
helluvagood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 helluvagood
Member since 2004 • 9182 Posts
electino, kool
SWdarkJedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#46 SWdarkJedi
Member since 2005 • 6547 Posts

Ok I have a union that has been dying for a while now and our leader has not been active for like 3 months.  We held an election and we have decided that I be leader.  The votes will be shown below, but I was wondering can you be a leader of two unions?

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/unions/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=24225563&union_id=2621

VinceL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 VinceL
[QUOTE="Draconis"]I am trying to start up a union (Christian Fellowship Union) and I sent out the charter member invites. Three accpeted and they show as being accepted, I got an e-mail that the fourth member accepted, however when I go to my union page it still shows only 3 have accepted instead of the four as it should be, so the union cannot get started up. Please help, thanks :)

Something weird happened with godsgroovygamer's invitation acceptance. In any case, I've forced the union to form - have him try to accept again. If that doesn't work, have him decline, then re-send the invite.
Draconis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Draconis
Member since 2002 • 2790 Posts
[QUOTE="VinceL"] [QUOTE="Draconis"]I am trying to start up a union (Christian Fellowship Union) and I sent out the charter member invites. Three accpeted and they show as being accepted, I got an e-mail that the fourth member accepted, however when I go to my union page it still shows only 3 have accepted instead of the four as it should be, so the union cannot get started up. Please help, thanks :)

Something weird happened with godsgroovygamer's invitation acceptance. In any case, I've forced the union to form - have him try to accept again. If that doesn't work, have him decline, then re-send the invite.

Thank you very much, it is much appreciated :)
VinceL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 VinceL

Ok I have a union that has been dying for a while now and our leader has not been active for like 3 months. We held an election and we have decided that I be leader. The votes will be shown below, but I was wondering can you be a leader of two unions?

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/unions/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=24225563&union_id=2621

SWdarkJedi

Please review the rules again from the first post.
SWdarkJedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#50 SWdarkJedi
Member since 2005 • 6547 Posts
[QUOTE="SWdarkJedi"]

Ok I have a union that has been dying for a while now and our leader has not been active for like 3 months. We held an election and we have decided that I be leader. The votes will be shown below, but I was wondering can you be a leader of two unions?

VinceL

Please review the rules again from the first post.

so you cant make me the new leader of the union because I am the leader of another union