The Terms of Use needs updating.

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts

And it needs updating badly. Over the years, many new rules have been put into place that fall under various clauses of the Terms of Use, but are these listed anywhere in there? Do we even have a "Supplemental Rules" section that the Community Managers can update and keep track of without having to go through the various channels at CNet Legal? No, and this needs to change. It is not fair for users here, new and long-timers alike, to have to answer to rules "becasue the mods said so," and when asked why, all we can tell them is that it was an administrative directive aabout 3 years ago.

Why has the ToU not been updated since 2005 (which were only minor revisions from the GF ToS that we were forced to adopt when the forum merger happened), and why should users have to wait until they get moderated until they can find out from asking about it in Ask the Mods that it was a rule, or try to interpret a clause in an outdated legal document when there isn't even a place for someone to check and see what precedents have been set based on said document? Things have got to change, and I fully expect this to be ignored, like many other pleas from users here or the mods asking about this through other channels.

So long story short, I ask that the ToU either get a revision (with administrator and moderator input-- from the people who are actually here enforcing the rules that you all have asked us to enforce), or give the admins a "Supplementary Rules" section that they can update without the red tape that has keep things stale for 2&1/2 years.

You owe it to the people of these forums. You owe it to the moderators who have to tell someone about rules that can only be vaguely extrapolated from the Terms of Use (and why is it called the ToS in the URL of the Terms of Use and in the automated PMs?)

Avatar image for SmashBrosLegend
SmashBrosLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 SmashBrosLegend
Member since 2006 • 11344 Posts
You've got my full support, for whatever that's worth.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I fully support this movement and will help with anything I can. If that means overhauling it myself and posting a link to it in my sig I will.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#4 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
The Terms of Use is the squeaky wheel, and it needs grease!
pridetwo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 pridetwo
Member since 2006 • 1226 Posts
Cheers to an update to the TOU, I have no problem following the rules, but they need to be updated for the mods' sakes.
kruesader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kruesader
Member since 2006 • 6443 Posts
I agree, they need to be updated for mods and users sake, with clarity.
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#7 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

Cheers to an update to the TOU, I have no problem following the rules, but they need to be updated for the mods' sakes.pridetwo

The mods and the users.

Weapons_Free

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Weapons_Free
Member since 2006 • 1361 Posts
You need to give breathing room to members that have been here awhile. At least the ones that are generally accepted by the rest of the community as quality posters.
Dan_Lero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 Dan_Lero
Member since 2006 • 7487 Posts
I support this too. The fact that it hasn't been updated in such along time and not all the rules are in there, is misleading alot of members and getting them moderated. So i agree with you here Mailer, it does need updating.
Foolz3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Foolz3h
Member since 2006 • 23739 Posts
Just thought I'd drop by and give you my support.
Sharvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#11 Sharvie
Member since 2006 • 8895 Posts
I support this too. A lot has changed on Gamespot, rule wise, and many users do get unnecessary moderations because these rules aren't in the TOU.
Avatar image for DeeJayInphinity
DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 DeeJayInphinity
Member since 2004 • 13415 Posts
It needs an update and it needs a bulleted listed to make everything easier to read. I support this. :)
caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 caddy
Member since 2005 • 28709 Posts
I agree, it definitely does need an update.I fully support this.
scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts

I fully support this. One thing that's always got me in a near-head-explosion just to think about is the vagueness of "content-free messages."

Now we need a slogan...

The Terms of Use is the squeaky wheel, and it needs grease!JustPlainLucas
I vote this. :|

ElZilcho90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ElZilcho90
Member since 2006 • 6157 Posts
This thread receives the El Zilcho Seal of Approval.
erikgergal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 erikgergal
Member since 2006 • 902 Posts
I agree the ToU should be updated as well.
MattUD1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MattUD1
Member since 2004 • 20715 Posts
You have my allegiance, Comrade.
fastesttruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 fastesttruck
Member since 2005 • 25353 Posts
The Terms of Use is the squeaky wheel, and it needs grease!JustPlainLucas
Yes it does. I hate when people get hit with something that is not even in the rules any place.
shaunmc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19 shaunmc
Member since 2003 • 1957 Posts
I'll pass along this suggestion today and make sure the necessary people read your post, Mailer.
michaelP4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 michaelP4
Member since 2004 • 16681 Posts
Like I've said many times before: I support this. I really hope GameSpot can get it updated soon. It really does need an update as there are more rules in place now.
AJMarra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AJMarra
Member since 2006 • 819 Posts
I'm definitely behind you on this one. I've been moderated lots of times for doing stuff that I didn't think I could get moderated for.
N8A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 N8A
Member since 2007 • 18602 Posts
An updated and more detailed version of the ToU would help everyone. Easier to understand and it would clear up questions over moderation (i.e. You were moderated because you violated section 10.3 of the ToU)
msudude211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 msudude211
Member since 2006 • 44517 Posts
The ToU definitely needs to be updated. It leaves too much room for interpretation, which can change from mod to mod.
cell_dweller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 cell_dweller  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 19867 Posts
I agree it needs updating, but I think there should also be an easier to read section for people that don't understand legal documents. I realize that you have to have the standard legal stuff, but for those that don't usually deal with documents like that, it can be difficult to read/understand.
dbz345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#25 dbz345
Member since 2004 • 17980 Posts

I fully agree that it needs updating, but that it should be approached with caution. The last thing I think everyone wants is an overly ridiculous overhaul that'll end up leaving a ton more work for mods and admins in the process of enforcing it, because users reject it so much.

funkadelichika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 funkadelichika
Member since 2006 • 8904 Posts
I agree it needs an overhaul. But like a few users have stated it needs to be done carefully. Anyways I am glad it is being addressed by regular users and mods alike... :)
Rasengan_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Rasengan_X
Member since 2007 • 20203 Posts
You have my support MAILER.:)
james28893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 james28893
Member since 2007 • 3252 Posts
I fully support this movement, if that helps.
Cube_of_MooN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Cube_of_MooN
Member since 2005 • 9286 Posts
The Terms of Use is a Model T. We need a Mustang... ;)
shoeman12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 shoeman12
Member since 2005 • 8744 Posts
i support this. there are too many unwritten rules and it should also be easier to read.
inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32 inoperativeRS
Member since 2004 • 8844 Posts
I support this movement. Gamespot's forums are far too large to suffer from problems like this.
m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#33 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

I couldn't agree more. I especially like the idea of a section that gets updated more frequently without having to go through as much red tape with the legal department for approval.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 foxhound_fox

I fully agree that it needs updating, but that it should be approached with caution. The last thing I think everyone wants is an overly ridiculous overhaul that'll end up leaving a ton more work for mods and admins in the process of enforcing it, because users reject it so much.

dbz345

Well, if users reject it then that is their prerogative. This community is so good because it has such strict rules that don't allow things like flaming and vulgar posts (visual or "verbal"). It helps keep the community respectful, which is something all humans are capable of but only some choose to do.

And if a "well-oiled" ToU is put together, it will only make the mods/admins jobs easier because all the users will finally be able to understand ALL the rules and there will be no vague points that are open to interpretation.

A big example is the unwritten rule that "falls" under Disruptive Posting when concerning single word or single emoticon responses ("lol," "LMAO," "GTFO," ":P," ":lol:," etc). They are generally modded as "Disruptive Posting" but nowhere on this site, except for a sticky in System Wars, is that specific rule outlined. And if a new user comes to these forums and doesn't end up on System Wars, they won't know about it. It isn't "common sense" enough to allow it to remain unwritten.

Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Forerunner-117
Member since 2006 • 8800 Posts
"You have my sword!" :P
dbz345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#36 dbz345
Member since 2004 • 17980 Posts
[QUOTE="dbz345"]

foxhound_fox

Well, if users reject it then that is their prerogative. This community is so good because it has such strict rules that don't allow things like flaming and vulgar posts (visual or "verbal"). It helps keep the community respectful, which is something all humans are capable of but only some choose to do.

And if a "well-oiled" ToU is put together, it will only make the mods/admins jobs easier because all the users will finally be able to understand ALL the rules and there will be no vague points that are open to interpretation.

A big example is the unwritten rule that "falls" under Disruptive Posting when concerning single word or single emoticon responses ("lol," "LMAO," "GTFO," ":P," ":lol:," etc). They are generally modded as "Disruptive Posting" but nowhere on this site, except for a sticky in System Wars, is that specific rule outlined. And if a new user comes to these forums and doesn't end up on System Wars, they won't know about it. It isn't "common sense" enough to allow it to remain unwritten.

At the same time you have to understand that there are users here that are very sensitive to change and if the changes seems unreasonable or too radical, people will raise hell about it. It's in the nature of how users act, not all but a lot that tend to be vocal about their concerns (just think to the major redesign back in 2005). I think more of what I should've said is that no one wants a major change of the rules but rather a revision to reflect the fuzzy areas that have arisen to make everything easier.

michaelP4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 michaelP4
Member since 2004 • 16681 Posts
Yeah. It really doesn't need to be re-written. Just some bits and pieces to be added in. I think a Miscellaneous section is probably the best for those bits and pieces to be put together.
Kokiri-Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Kokiri-Kid
Member since 2007 • 584 Posts
I fully agree, some moderations are beging to become unjust.
icytower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 icytower
Member since 2005 • 10643 Posts
Completely agree with my fellow GameSpot moderators, and other users, that this needs to be done.
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
I fully agree, some moderations are beging to become unjust.Kokiri-Kid
That... has absolutely nothing to do with what I'm talking about. Agree or disagree... fine. Insult me? Sorry.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 foxhound_fox
At the same time you have to understand that there are users here that are very sensitive to change and if the changes seems unreasonable or too radical, people will raise hell about it. It's in the nature of how users act, not all but a lot that tend to be vocal about their concerns (just think to the major redesign back in 2005). I think more of what I should've said is that no one wants a major change of the rules but rather a revision to reflect the fuzzy areas that have arisen to make everything easier.dbz345

Well, I joined in 2005 so I wouldn't know anything about what came before... >_>

But I would be more than willing to accept "change" to the rules. I cannot see anything bad about making them clearer and more concise. If some users don't like it, they should find another forum to use.
mahoney23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#42 mahoney23
Member since 2006 • 1109 Posts
I support this as well.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts

Problem is, there's a glitch if you use the Quick Quote feature that sometimes erases everything you wrote, leaving only the quote.
I got moderated for that once, even though it was completely unintentional. *sigh*

Yes, the rules need to be clarified, but the forum software should also be modified so blank quotes are not possible.

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts
I fully support this revision.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127502 Posts
I'm supporting this Mailer :)
alext_b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 alext_b
Member since 2006 • 3373 Posts
I fully support this....but how many poeple out here actually bother reading the ToU?:|
cell_dweller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 cell_dweller  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 19867 Posts
I fully support this....but how many poeple out here actually bother reading the ToU?:|alext_b
Everyone should read it and abide by it since you agree to follow it when you join the site.
Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#48 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts
Well, if it'll help drive away the notion of mods being autocratic abusers of power, then I guess I'll support it, I guess.
EJ902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 EJ902
Member since 2005 • 14338 Posts
I agree with this, there are some important GS rules that aren't covered in the TOU, which should be added. I also feel that GameSpot should have some form of summary or explanation of various terms so people can understand it more easily. GameFAQs has this Annoted Terms of Use, which is fairly user-friendly.
cyberdarkkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#50 cyberdarkkid
Member since 2007 • 16777 Posts
Of course i agree with MAILER this will surely prevent us from future moderations, i'm 100% on this. I really wouldn't like to get moded without knowing why.