This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Jonwh18
Member since 2009 • 9350 Posts

An Idea I had while on my vacation. Thanks to lundy86_4, Verbtex, and Charizard1605 for looking over it for me. I think this would be a great way to get some more constructive arguements back into SW . :)

This is just an idea for an SW activity like System Wars bets. I apologise if that was not made clear.

DEBATE SEASON

Debate season will last for 5 months after the jury has been picked

TOPICS

1. A new debate topic will be posted every week.

2. Topic Ideas can be PMd to Mods and then Mods will pick the best five to be narrowed down by a community vote via poll every Monday during debate season.

RULES OF DEBATE

1. The debater for each side will post his or her own introductory post stating their stance on the topic.
2. There will then be exactlythree rebuttal posts from each debater, in which the debaters may address and refute points made by the other person, as well as adding any new points that may come up.
3. Finally, each debater will postoneconcluding post, summing up his or her side of the debate. Following the concluding posts, the thread will be closed.
4. Debaters each have exactly6 hoursfrom the time of posting of a post by their opponent to post their next post. If they do not post in the required time limit, the debate will be declared finished, and the thread closed.
5. Debatersmay notpost more than 5 posts in total. Once the 5-post limit is reached, further posts by that debater will be deleted from the thread, but the thread will remain open for posts by the opponent, until either his or her own 5-post limit is reached or until time runs out.
6. Debaters may include links to any supporting information or references in their posts. They may also quote extracted sections of text from other sites.

7. Each post will have a maximum of 500 words.

8. A jury comprised of two people from each faction will decide the winner of the debate based on what they have read after each participant has posted their 5 posts or both participants announce they have finished.

DECIDING THE WINNER

1. Jurors will be able to discuss everything regarding the debate in the debate sticky.

2. Jurors will vote via secret ballot and will send their votes to the mod running the debate thread.

3. In the event of a tie amongst the jury Verbtex, Badosh, and Mitu will decide the winner of the debate

DECIDING THE JURY

1. A jury members faction will be determined by what they signed up as in the SW bets thread. (Cow, Hermit, Lemming, Sheep, Manticore)

2. Jury members will volunteer and then chosen by SW the community.

3. The SW community will decide on jury members once at the beginning of every debate season via mass voting.

4. There will be a thread where SW posters can post I (faction) volunteer to serve on the jury

5. This thread will be open for a 24-hour period.

6. After the 24 hour period has passed, the thread will be closed and then a new thread will be reopened with all of the volunteers listed in the OP divided by faction.

7. SW members can vote by listing their top two choices for each faction. Like below (example)

COW

1 Shadowmoses

2 GamerwillisPS

HERMIT

1 Stevo_the_gamer

2 Wasdie

8. The person voted for in the 1 position will receive two points and the person in the 2 position will receive one point

9. In the case of a tie the rest of the contenders for a certain factions jury will be eliminated and the process will be repeated. If there is still a tie one of the mods will pick anonymously.

10 The thread to vote in for jury members will be open for 48 hours. If there is a tie the thread to decide the winner of ties will only be open for 24 hours.

PARTICIPATION REQUIREMENTS

Jurors and debaters must be level ten or higher to participate. You must also be level 10 or higher to vote on jurors. Debate positions will be given away on a first come first serve basis.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

I like this idea.It will help to make my arguementation skills better.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#3 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

I approve of this, SW is about debates(not senseless bashing) and making it like this would certainly help.

platniumgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 platniumgamer
Member since 2011 • 3960 Posts

you're amazing, i love you.

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CaseyWegner
Member since 2002 • 70114 Posts

1. A jury members faction will be determined by what they signed up as in the SW bets thread. (Cow, Hermit, Lemming, Sheep)

Jonwh18

nothing for the manticore crowd? :(

michaelP4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 michaelP4
Member since 2004 • 16681 Posts
And how will this be implemented on a regular basis? By who - are they willing to do it? What if new debate topics come up - like a breaking news story which can change what is discussed and in what order? Will users follow the rules? Will this limit discussion on the board (like other related topics won't be allowed to be made because a similar one already exists, which can be unnecessarily restrictive)? An interesting idea but it sounds like a lot of work. But go ahead and try it if you get the support and see what happens.
Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jonwh18

And how will this be implemented on a regular basis? By who - are they willing to do it? What if new debate topics come up - like a breaking news story which can change what is discussed and in what order? Will users follow the rules? Will this limit discussion on the board (like other related topics won't be allowed to be made because a similar one already exists, which can be unnecessarily restrictive)? An interesting idea but it sounds like a lot of work. But go ahead and try it if you get the support and see what happens.michaelP4

Its an activity that will be run by the Mods, I have already asked Verbtex if he thought it would be to much work for the mods to run and he didn' think it would be.

Also this isn't a replacement for the SW forum it would ba a SW activity like SW bets. Its just an activity for people who would like to have a real arguement now and then that doesn't involve

user 1: you jelly"

user 2: no, you mad?

user 1: no I ain't mad brah, and yeah, you jelly

Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jonwh18

[QUOTE="Jonwh18"]

1. A jury members faction will be determined by what they signed up as in the SW bets thread. (Cow, Hermit, Lemming, Sheep)

CaseyWegner

looking at the entire board objectively there are very few ACTUAL manticores and the ones that could be considered manticores tend to lean to one platform or another. The people who helped me make this agreed that mitu badosh and verb are the most unbaised. The matnicores are hopefully well represented in that group. I don't bielve that manticore are supported on SW bets, but I am not 100% positive of that. If the board was allowed to vote upon the backup jury the hemits and cows would have an advantage because they clearly outnumber the lemming and sheep. Another thought was to have an admin decide the winner in the case of a tie but it was agreed that admins would likely not want to be bothered with the day to day affiars of SW.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

Guess I support it.

free_milk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 free_milk
Member since 2011 • 3903 Posts

Good idea.

hopefully it isnt like bets where it is.

20 hermits

20 sheeps

4 lemmings

2cows

Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jonwh18

Good idea.

hopefully it isnt like bets where it is.

20 hermits

20 sheeps

4 lemmings

2cows

free_milk

If you read the OP you will see that I have thought of the balance issues ahead of time and thought of a way to make sure they don't effect the jury.

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CaseyWegner

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="Jonwh18"]

Jonwh18

looking at the entire board objectively there are very few ACTUAL manticores and the ones that could be considered manticores tend to lean to one platform or another. The people who helped me make this agreed that mitu badosh and verb are the most unbaised. The matnicores are hopefully well represented in that group. I don't bielve that manticore are supported on SW bets, but I am not 100% positive of that. If the board was allowed to vote upon the backup jury the hemits and cows would have an advantage because they clearly outnumber the lemming and sheep. Another thought was to have an admin decide the winner in the case of a tie but it was agreed that admins would likely not want to be bothered with the day to day affiars of SW.

i think there are enough of us out there and it could provide a different perspective.

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#14 digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

I actually really like the sound of this!
Though to reiterate a previous comment made by a ranger, what other volunteers do you have for this type of project (if any)?

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 CaseyWegner

Though to reiterate a previous comment made by a ranger, what other volunteers do you have for this type of project (if any)?

Synthia

i'll volunteer.

Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jonwh18

Synthia

Well verb said he would run it. chaz and myself helped make it and would be willing to do stuff. and casey above would be willing to help.

Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jonwh18

[QUOTE="Jonwh18"]

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

CaseyWegner

i think there are enough of us out there and it could provide a different perspective.

AS long as those who sign up as manticores stay in the manticore faction and don't just go from on faction to the other trying to get into the jury I'm fine with it. I just know there are people (like reach3 even though he is gone) who like to say they are manticores when they aren't.

platniumgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 platniumgamer
Member since 2011 • 3960 Posts

i would make a good juror... i'm not biased or anything. ;)

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

[QUOTE="Jonwh18"]

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"] looking at the entire board objectively there are very few ACTUAL manticores and the ones that could be considered manticores tend to lean to one platform or another. The people who helped me make this agreed that mitu badosh and verb are the most unbaised. The matnicores are hopefully well represented in that group. I don't bielve that manticore are supported on SW bets, but I am not 100% positive of that. If the board was allowed to vote upon the backup jury the hemits and cows would have an advantage because they clearly outnumber the lemming and sheep. Another thought was to have an admin decide the winner in the case of a tie but it was agreed that admins would likely not want to be bothered with the day to day affiars of SW.

CaseyWegner

AS long as those who sign up as manticores stay in the manticore faction and don't just go from on faction to the other trying to get into the jury I'm fine with it. I just know there are people (like reach3 even though he is gone) who like to say they are manticores when they aren't.

I'd say no way to manticores, almost no one who claims to be a manticore really is. PM if you need any help with it Jon, I'm not on regularly to debate in something like this but i'll help in any way I can.
Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jonwh18

i would make a good juror... i'm not biased or anything. ;)

platniumgamer

no tlike that type of volunteer >:l SW is gonna pick the jurors. we need people to help tally the votes and stuff.

Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jonwh18

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="Jonwh18"]

blue_hazy_basic

I'd say no way to manticores, almost no one who claims to be a manticore really is. PM if you need any help with it Jon, I'm not on regularly to debate in something like this but i'll help in any way I can.

thanks!

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#22 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
I'd like to throw my weight (for whatever it is worth) behind this, because it actually sounds like it would provide for some decent discussion for a change. The fact that it is all community moderated and regulated means that it will also lead to greater involvement by the more active members. So yes, I say we should go for it.
verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 verbtex  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9196 Posts

Like I've said before, it sounds pretty cool.

I'm willing to help in whatever way needed.

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 CaseyWegner

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="Jonwh18"] looking at the entire board objectively there are very few ACTUAL manticores and the ones that could be considered manticores tend to lean to one platform or another. The people who helped me make this agreed that mitu badosh and verb are the most unbaised. The matnicores are hopefully well represented in that group. I don't bielve that manticore are supported on SW bets, but I am not 100% positive of that. If the board was allowed to vote upon the backup jury the hemits and cows would have an advantage because they clearly outnumber the lemming and sheep. Another thought was to have an admin decide the winner in the case of a tie but it was agreed that admins would likely not want to be bothered with the day to day affiars of SW.

Jonwh18

we have a pretty good idea of who's who there. obviously nobody would have believed that reach was a manticore.

Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Jonwh18

[QUOTE="Jonwh18"]

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

CaseyWegner

we have a pretty good idea of who's who there. obviously nobody would have believed that reach was a manticore.

so you propose we just let people sign up as manticores for another two slots on the jury?

ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
But I am a manticore..
Badosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Badosh
Member since 2011 • 12774 Posts
I support, because
mitu badosh and verb are the most unbaised. Jonwh18
I rule.
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#28 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
I actually didn't realize how much support and effort you put into this. I think it's great.
DarthJohnova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 DarthJohnova
Member since 2010 • 4599 Posts

I pledge my support to this; excellent idea.

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 CaseyWegner

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="Jonwh18"] AS long as those who sign up as manticores stay in the manticore faction and don't just go from on faction to the other trying to get into the jury I'm fine with it. I just know there are people (like reach3 even though he is gone) who like to say they are manticores when they aren't.

Jonwh18

so you propose we just let people sign up as manticores for another two slots on the jury?

just my suggestion. i wouldn't want people feeling left out. we would just need to keep an eye out for the fake ones.

michaelP4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 michaelP4
Member since 2004 • 16681 Posts
I'd be willing to help out if needed. I'm not overly involved in SW but I do visit it now and again so I'm not very attached to it or its community (but I know how it works, what goes in etc) which would make me independent and impartial as well as knowledgeable about SW at the same time. I helped out with bringing E3 to SW, making and managing a stickied discussion topic as well as doing numerous other things behind the scenes. I also have a wealth of experience in organising these types of things, implementing them etc being a Ranger since 2007. I am glad to see this idea has got support and has even sparked the interest of an admin. This could indeed be going somewhere.
Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 Zensword
Member since 2007 • 4510 Posts
I like your idea, TC since it'd improve the quality of SW greatly.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I tried things like this a few times over the years, at least variations...good luck.

I would actually recommend you let people vote on the judges instead of whatever you believe if a fair judge (How much experience do you have with SW or users? That's a bold task, and when in doubt, defer), otherwise this will most likely fail and not be recognized because you put people in a position of power without even getting the consent of other users. Others will not recognize because they weren't apart of the process. It's all about the "Buy in".

I don't have a problem with any names you chose, but in the interest of fairness you having that decided before hand may not go over well with others, and therfore kill participation in the long run. I don't have much time for internet forums, and I am juggling a lot in my RL. I remember when this thread had three posts, but this is how long it takes for me to post at times.

That's my advice I've learned in the years.

Happy posting.

Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Jonwh18

I tried things like this a few times over the years, at least variations...good luck.

I would actually recommend you let people vote on the judges instead of whatever you believe if a fair judge (How much experience do you have with SW or users? That's a bold task, and when in doubt, defer), otherwise this will most likely fail and not be recognized because you put people in a position of power without even getting the consent of other users. Others will not recognize because they weren't apart of the process. It's all about the "Buy in".

I don't have a problem with any names you chose, but in the interest of fairness you having that decided before hand may not go over well with others, and therfore kill participation in the long run. I don't have much time for internet forums, and I am juggling a lot in my RL. I remember when this thread had three posts, but this is how long it takes for me to post at times.

That's my advice I've learned in the years.

Happy posting.

SolidTy

YOu have a point and this is a problem that I couldn't think of a solution for while writing this up. I think the only way to make sure that the large number of hermits and Cows in SW is to let the jury of ten (becaus there will be 2 manticores in addition to the original 2 from each faction) choose 3 people to decide in the event of a tie out of recommendations made by the SW board.

Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jonwh18

This is just kind of a general question. I haven't really made a site enhancement recommedation before. I noticed there hasn't really been any confirmation as to whether or not this would be put into effect. Do I need to gather more support then this or whats the next step here?

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at the trolls. I approve

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 CaseyWegner

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at the trolls. I approve

wis3boi

anything to combat the butthurt and jelly cesspool that the place has become?

TilxWLOC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TilxWLOC
Member since 2011 • 1164 Posts

I'm down, I'm not too sure how I might participate, if I do, but I definitely dig this idea.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#39 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
sounds like a good idea, gamespot should take this in to consideration and do it
ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
You can trust me. :)