An Idea I had while on my vacation. Thanks to lundy86_4, Verbtex, and Charizard1605 for looking over it for me. I think this would be a great way to get some more constructive arguements back into SW . :)
This is just an idea for an SW activity like System Wars bets. I apologise if that was not made clear.
Debate season will last for 5 months after the jury has been picked
1. A new debate topic will be posted every week.
2. Topic Ideas can be PMd to Mods and then Mods will pick the best five to be narrowed down by a community vote via poll every Monday during debate season.
RULES OF DEBATE
1. The debater for each side will post his or her own introductory post stating their stance on the topic.
2. There will then be exactlythree rebuttal posts from each debater, in which the debaters may address and refute points made by the other person, as well as adding any new points that may come up.
3. Finally, each debater will postoneconcluding post, summing up his or her side of the debate. Following the concluding posts, the thread will be closed.
4. Debaters each have exactly6 hoursfrom the time of posting of a post by their opponent to post their next post. If they do not post in the required time limit, the debate will be declared finished, and the thread closed.
5. Debatersmay notpost more than 5 posts in total. Once the 5-post limit is reached, further posts by that debater will be deleted from the thread, but the thread will remain open for posts by the opponent, until either his or her own 5-post limit is reached or until time runs out.
6. Debaters may include links to any supporting information or references in their posts. They may also quote extracted sections of text from other sites.
7. Each post will have a maximum of 500 words.
8. A jury comprised of two people from each faction will decide the winner of the debate based on what they have read after each participant has posted their 5 posts or both participants announce they have finished.
DECIDING THE WINNER
1. Jurors will be able to discuss everything regarding the debate in the debate sticky.
2. Jurors will vote via secret ballot and will send their votes to the mod running the debate thread.
3. In the event of a tie amongst the jury Verbtex, Badosh, and Mitu will decide the winner of the debate
DECIDING THE JURY
1. A jury members faction will be determined by what they signed up as in the SW bets thread. (Cow, Hermit, Lemming, Sheep, Manticore)
2. Jury members will volunteer and then chosen by SW the community.
3. The SW community will decide on jury members once at the beginning of every debate season via mass voting.
4. There will be a thread where SW posters can post I (faction) volunteer to serve on the jury
5. This thread will be open for a 24-hour period.
6. After the 24 hour period has passed, the thread will be closed and then a new thread will be reopened with all of the volunteers listed in the OP divided by faction.
7. SW members can vote by listing their top two choices for each faction. Like below (example)
8. The person voted for in the 1 position will receive two points and the person in the 2 position will receive one point
9. In the case of a tie the rest of the contenders for a certain factions jury will be eliminated and the process will be repeated. If there is still a tie one of the mods will pick anonymously.
10 The thread to vote in for jury members will be open for 48 hours. If there is a tie the thread to decide the winner of ties will only be open for 24 hours.
Jurors and debaters must be level ten or higher to participate. You must also be level 10 or higher to vote on jurors. Debate positions will be given away on a first come first serve basis.