Stop spamming me please

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Saketume

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Saketume
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I'm sure this has been reported before but since nothing has been done about it and it's a big problem for me I'll post it again:

I've turned off all email notifications in my settings afaik (even though I'd like some of them to function). Yet every time someone -anyone- comments in an article I've made a single comment in I get an email.

So if I make the first comment and the article ends up getting 1000 comments total I'll find 999 emails in my in box.

So if I make a total of 10 comments in different articles my webmail, that I don't really check more than a couple of times per month, will get fullwith thousands of shit emails and more important mail will bounce.

Not to mention it's a pain to sort through and delete all the junk.

PLEASE fix this ASAP. It's been going on for weeks and my settings doesn't seem to influence it at all from what I can tell.

foxrock66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 foxrock66
Member since 2010 • 409 Posts

It's been reported MANY times at this point. I don't know what if anything is being done to fix it at this point. Temporary fix, manually unfollow the article every time you comment. It's a pain, but it's less of a pain than deleting 3000 emails

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

I don't think they plan on fixing this, EVER.

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 leon2365
Member since 2006 • 13096 Posts

its being worked on supposedly. all you can do is wait.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By rick
Member since 2013 • 913 Posts

Sorry you're getting spammed. I hate to place blame but its not really our fault. We use Livefyre for comments and wish we didn't. Its just a legacy thing. We're trying to move off of Livefyre ASAP.

That said, we are working with them to cut that shit out. Its tedious...

SpicaAntares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SpicaAntares
Member since 2013 • 26 Posts

Same here. It's ridiculous. It didn't do that before and only started 1-2 days ago.

Saketume

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Saketume

I'll just stop posting completely till they fix it then and hope they tell me when it's fixed. Thanks for the workaround suggestion.

Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 656

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Gelugon_baat
Member since 2003 • 24247 Posts

@edgework

You might want to rename the thread a bit to mention that GameSpot is trying to discard LiveFyre.

I suppose that John Davison did not expect that this LiveFyre service is going to become a troublesome white elephant.

P.S. Whatever you and your colleagues are planning, please don't go back to the dinosaur that was used before LiveFyre. That was glitch-ridden.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 rick

@Gelugon_baat said:

@edgework

You might want to rename the thread a bit to mention that GameSpot is trying to discard LiveFyre.

I suppose that John Davison did not expect that this LiveFyre service is going to become a troublesome white elephant.

P.S. Whatever you and your colleagues are planning, please don't go back to the dinosaur that was used before LiveFyre. That was glitch-ridden.

The dinosaur that was used before was LiveFyre.

Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 656

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Gelugon_baat
Member since 2003 • 24247 Posts

@edgework said:

The dinosaur that was used before was LiveFyre.

Eh?

Perhaps I should clarify further that I am referring to GameSpot's own comment system before John Davison and former management decided that it should be replaced with one that uses LiveFyre.

(Here's a link to the article that mentioned the start of the use of LiveFyre in GameSpot, to replace an older comment system - the one that I was referring to.)

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By rick

@Gelugon_baat: Ok, well that's before my time. We're not going backwards. My Christmas project is going to be replacing Livefyre. It will only go live if it doesn't suck. ...and I'm not guaranteeing it won't but I'll do my best to be better than Livefyre.

iBuSHiDo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By iBuSHiDo
Member since 2007 • 174 Posts

I've never had this problem until yesterday. Not sure what has changed, but suddenly I'm getting tons of emails showing replies or likes to other people's comments. They have nothing to do with me, but because I've commented on that video/article, I'm now getting emails to notify me of EVERYTHING that happens on the page. They need to fix this right away.

Kevin75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#13  Edited By Kevin75
Member since 2004 • 187 Posts

Well I'm glad you guys are working on it. Here I thought I had simply messed up with my settings since I keep getting hundreds of emails from popular articles. I hope this is resolved soon.

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts

Well i have another problem... For some reason i cant disable e-mail / newsletters at all.. have not been online on gamespot for a while and now suddenly i get a e-mail saying that i will get news. Yet... For some reason i cant turn it off. Or more correctly it is turned off.

So... Spam?

Saketume

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Saketume

@foxrock66: Temporary fix, manually unfollow the article every time you comment.

Sadly this doesn't seem to be working properly. I unfollow then the next time I check the page it says I'm still following it.

Spent another 40 minutes deleting emails today.

@edgework I hate to place blame but its not really our fault. We use Livefyre for comments

I know livefyre is being blamed for this but I ask you then what has changed with livefyre because this problem started for me after gamespot remade the site. Before that it was fine.

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 leon2365
Member since 2006 • 13096 Posts

another temporary fix would be to not comment on any articles or whatever else that seems to cause this problem.