Stacks - Community Feedback, Bugs, and Suggestions

• 93 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by digitaldame (5401 posts) -

Okay, so stacks are far from perfect. So let's fix them! This thread has been created to help improve the current stacks feature for the site.

I've seen numerous reports, emails, forum threads, tweets, and even a few phone calls about how stacks aren't perfect. Now while I can't promise you that we will make them perfect soon, or even your specific flavor of perfect there are a few glaring issues that I believe we can all agree need improvement:

• The "search" function for a game can sometimes be... well stupid. By that of course I mean that it doesn't recognize any type of slag for a game title (Examples: MGSV, GTAIV, etc.)
  • You can't add a game to a custom created stack from the game page. What I mean by that is if you say, went to the Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 page, you can select to follow a game and add it to one of 3 stacks. (I want to play this, I'm playing this, and I've finished this).
  • When clicking "Rate" for the game, it opens a new window for the game in question where you can "rate" the title or "review" it. I will admit that I feel that this can sort of feel like a bit of a emersion shock (say, if you wanted to just quickly rate several games in a row, but not give them a proper review). But this might be in place to prevent flooding. I'll check on that.
  • Attempting to edit a stack takes a very long time to load (even with a stack as small as 50 games).
  • None of the edit features work.... Oops. At the top of stacks there are options to move, copy, remove, etc, yet you're unable to click on any of these. In fact, all you can currently do is exit editing. Some games are also missing the ability to rate within the stack, which is just weird.
  • No way to sort your list.

If you have anything that you would like to add to this list by all means feel free to do so, I simply ask that you maintain a respectful tone in your post. I understand that bugs are frustrating but getting salty about an issue doesn't help anyone. As always, keep it classy GameSpotters. And I look forward to seeing what you all come up with.

#2 Edited by x0pht (30 posts) -

Thank you for creating a sticky thread specifically for stacks.

Possible new features:

1. Allow users to choose the covers they would like to show on the view stack page. At the moment, the system automatically displays the cover art of the first five games added to the stack. If one would like to have different cover art displayed on a stack page or simply re-order the covers, all the games have to be deleted and re-added.

2. Sortable "edit a stack" page. The game list on the edit page is not sortable right now. It'd be hard to find a game, say for example if you want to delete a game or add a description, when there's a huge list.

#3 Edited by anarayan (351 posts) -

The most important new feature was one that was present in Collections. The ability to group/list all games according to a platform. I've told Lark this, and it is so fundamental that I find myself questioning the design decision that was actually made that deprived the stacks of this feature. But Lark assured me that this feature was coming back. So I am eagerly awaiting its return.

On the same note, I'd like to ask one question. In my Wish List on the old GS webpage, I had added games on different platforms to the same list. The platform information has been lost when GS transitioned to the new site. Will these platform information be recovered when the platform feature is added or is it gone for good?

Once that feature is programmed in, would it be possible to add a feature where you add a drop down box in the row of the game in the stack, with all the platforms that it's been released for games that are released for multiple platforms? For example, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess has been released for the Wii and the GC. If I have the game in a stack I named 'To Buy,' I should be able to select and find out what version has been ranked higher depending on the GS rankings on the same page. That would be a cool feature. If this isn't clear, let me know and I'll try to do a better job of describing this further.

Other features are the features I like to call the Union and the Intersection. If I have two or more stacks, it would be nice to see the two stacks combined (union). Or what games are in both stacks (intersection). This would particularly be useful if we were to compare our stacks with our friends' stacks... as long as they had made their stacks visible. That would make gamespotting very pleasurable... at least for me. I'll think of a number of other features.

#4 Posted by Scalper (437 posts) -

The biggest things to me are...

• not being able to add a game to a custom stack from the game space page
  • when I edit a stack it only shows like 10 games when I have over 200 and if I try and use the search box to add a game nothing happens
  • being so slow

Everything you mention would be great if implemented.

I really like how GameFaqs collections work. Also IMDB has a pretty good system on how they allow to add items and see where you've put things in all your custom lists.

#5 Edited by Renegade_Fury (19919 posts) -

These are things I liked about the old "My Games List:"

The ability to list games by alphabetical order, year of release, type of platform, GS scores, my scores, and how all this information was neatly organized into one clean excel like sheet. The pictures take up unnecessary space, and I wish I could turn them off, as well as make the text a lot smaller. The thing about the old system was that it was very simple and practical, and that's really the key to organizing a library.

Another issue that I still have is that so many of my games are listed by their Japanese titles. I assume a lot of other people still have this problem too, but I'd like to give it more attention.

#6 Posted by Marhuman (46 posts) -

How are we coming along with the stacks?

I can't add any games to my stack.

#7 Posted by adamray10 (186 posts) -

Why not just simplify the way you edit your stack? Instead of having to go into "edit mode" by clicking on "edit this stack" just let me click a box to delete or move a game. It would be similar to how a Netflix queue is set up...or, heaven forbid, the way the site used to be...

#8 Posted by Gammit10 (2395 posts) -

I recommend getting the basics (searching, adding, editing, deleting) done first.

#9 Posted by Marhuman (46 posts) -

@adamray10 said:

Why not just simplify the way you edit your stack? Instead of having to go into "edit mode" by clicking on "edit this stack" just let me click a box to delete or move a game. It would be similar to how a Netflix queue is set up...or, heaven forbid, the way the site used to be...

I agree.

We're not even seeing any improvement.

#10 Posted by redhead64 (53 posts) -

Hopefully, the editing function at least will get fixed before E3 begins, otherwise you'll have to keep track of each and every game that interests you until it's fixed and then you can add them to your stacks. Speaking of which, the "I want to play this", "I'm playing this", and "I've finished this" options are all missing from the game pages, so you can't edit the stacks that way either!

#11 Edited by Grimkillah (234 posts) -

There are few types of bugs/mistakes within the current stack system.

First, it constantly fail to load the editing page, maybe the site is slow with all the changes.

Second, I wish there is an add to stack function on each game's front page, instead of only able to add games from editing page.

Third, missing games, I tried to add Assassin's Creed to my stack, but instead I found Assassin's Creed Director's Cut Edition, AC HD, AC Double Pack, and AC Ultimate edition, but there is no normal plain Assassin's Creed on gamespot website. Also there is no Command & Conquer General: Zero Hours on site.

Fourth, wrongly titled games, Men of War: Assault Squad is named Men of War: Assault Squad MP Supply Pack Bravo, no such game actually exists, this is an example of a wrongly titled game.

Fifth, consistency, Crysis 2 Maximum Edition is missing, while both Crysis 1 and Crysis 1 Maximum Edition coexists.

Sixth, there are no longer ability to choose which platform of the game that you own. For example I have Dead Space on XBox 360, PC and iPad, but I can't add all three, only one version is available.

#12 Posted by Wicked869 (25 posts) -

@Namar: It is still messed up.

Avatar image for The_Gaming_Baby
#13 Edited by The_Gaming_Baby (6402 posts) -

I have been unable to edit my Stacks for well over a month now as they fail to load every single time

#14 Posted by x0pht (30 posts) -
@Grimkillah said:

Third, missing games, I tried to add Assassin's Creed to my stack, but instead I found Assassin's Creed Director's Cut Edition, AC HD, AC Double Pack, and AC Ultimate edition, but there is no normal plain Assassin's Creed on gamespot website. Also there is no Command & Conquer General: Zero Hours on site.

In addition to this, there's no "Battlefield 2" vanilla, instead it's Euro Force which is an expansion pack, but then speaking of expansion packs, some of them are missing, e.g. BF2: Special Forces. Similar issues happen to other games as well, though I know they are not directly related to the stack system, just wanted to agree to what was said.

Avatar image for delete-mophreak
#15 Edited by delete-mophreak (26 posts) -

I can't edit my "Games I Want" stack, it takes it's sweet ass time to load, and then doesn't load properly for editing. Please Fix!

Avatar image for ThePhantomGamer
#16 Posted by ThePhantomGamer (1814 posts) -

I guess the stacks are still being worked on? When I go to my collection stack and hit the edit button, nothing happens.

#17 Posted by jzen_ (711 posts) -

My stacks are not loading as well. :/

#18 Posted by dab198 (3932 posts) -

@Scalper said:

It would seem you now can't even add to the default stacks from the gamespace. A step backwards, rather than forwards.

#19 Posted by jsmoke03 (13697 posts) -

oooh where do i begin with these stacks

• there needs to be a way to have more than 100 games in a stack. im sorry but a lot of us have bigger gaming libraries than 100 games and everytime i try to use the stacks to add more games, it doesnt work or it doesnt show up in that fancy format of yours
  • youve already mentioned it but there should be a way to add to multiple stacks through game pages and have it work properly
  • we should be able to arrange these games in the stacks in different categories (alphabetical, platforms, meta score etc....)
  • look at backloggery and how they do it. its not as elegant as yours but its functional. its hard to add games that you dont have game pages for, so backloggery makes it easier because you can still add it.

i miss the old games page.this was my first database to keep up my growing gaming library. ive had to move on to backloggery to keep up my database. hope you guys fix it...

#20 Edited by jzen_ (711 posts) -

@jsmoke03: I miss the old database page as well. I could filter by console type, date of release, etc. *sigh*

#21 Edited by delete-mophreak (26 posts) -

E3 is going on, and I can't edit my stacks. Adding the games I want to my wishlist.... come on GameSpot. Fix!

#22 Posted by anarayan (351 posts) -

@mophreak said:

E3 is going on, and I can't edit my stacks. Adding the games I want to my wishlist.... come on GameSpot. Fix!

I think most of the staff is at E3. I don't think this is going to get fixed in time...

#23 Edited by Starshine_M2A2 (5121 posts) -

The 'games I want' stack seems to be working for me now. So are all my stacks that have around 20 or so games in them. Can add and delete as normal. Not sure if that's just for me or not...

#24 Posted by Scalper (437 posts) -
@dab198 said:

@Scalper said:

It would seem you now can't even add to the default stacks from the gamespace. A step backwards, rather than forwards.

Big step backwards. I wonder why it was changed right before E3. Now that E3 is here it's gonna be awhile until they can get back to working on the site and the stacks.

I'm gonna be using GameFaqs to keep track of all the new games until then.

#25 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (8508 posts) -

I still can't edit stacks.

#26 Posted by delete-mophreak (26 posts) -

They seem to be working again... still, slow loading times.

#27 Posted by AndyBear (25 posts) -

Stack editing doesn't load properly when a stack is over about 100-150 items.

Also, the game database is has some issues (for example, you don't have an entry for Dungeon Siege 2, but you do for the expansion; Men of War: Assault Squad doesn't exist, but a piece of DLC for it does 0_o).

Finally, I discovered a great bug - I named a list (or "stack" if you wish) "???", and it is now inaccessible, clicking it just loads me back into the list of stacks.

Since Gamespot is one of the only places I found that lets you sort game lists by release date, I really hope you keep working on the feature.

#28 Posted by capcomchen (205 posts) -

I can't add any game into stack any more.

I can not add any DLC into stack

I can not add the walking dead S02E02 into stack. only S02

#29 Posted by anarayan (351 posts) -

Now that E3 is done and over with, is there an ETA for the new stacks? In particular, when is the platform going to be implemented?

#30 Posted by btstlouis (375 posts) -

Haven't been able to edit one of my stacks. It's over 100 games if that makes a difference.

#31 Edited by dinosauryoshi (25 posts) -

All my reviews are missing, it says I have 9 reviews but when I click on them it says it is a barren wasteland and there aren't any! I also can't find them when I go to the pages for the games I've reviewed.

#32 Edited by Ricardo41 (1046 posts) -

I cannot see an "Add" button anywhere. How do I add a game to one of my stacks?

#33 Posted by anarayan (351 posts) -

@Ricardo41: Go into the edit page of the particular stack, and in the top right corner, you'll see a text field that as default, says "Add a Game." That's the only way to do it right now. Now note that the edit page doesn't load if you have more than 20 or so games. It is a known bug right now.

#34 Posted by beutlich99 (1129 posts) -

All the suggestions thus far are good. I'm cool with all of that. What I want to know is WHEN we can expect some sort of change that makes the stacks usable. Right now, they are not. Can't edit. Can't add. etc. Slow loading. etc. GS's games list capabilities was the number 1 reason why I have an account with this website. Right now, I only check in maybe once per week to see if any progress has been made on the stacks. Please fix, so I can start using GS more often than I use every other gaming site.

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
#35 Posted by Shadowchronicle (26969 posts) -

I was thinking this could be added later when you guys got most of the problems fixed but it would be nice if there were boards outside of gaming (not just sports). Like maybe a forum for comics/anime/manga or media in general so people can talk about their favorite tv shows. A problem with the current site is that unions had a special interest factor to them where people who liked similar things could join and post, we don't really have that anymore. Along with that some people want the Legacy Platform board back because it has been taken away.

#36 Edited by Gamereviews23 (25 posts) -

Hey Everyone! I'm a new guy here just recently joined and I would like to post my first review although when I click on the "create user review" after I finished my work It redirects me to an 404 error not found page.It is really annoying because I would like to work here but considering this I can't. The problem has to be in my PC cuz' others can post theirs as far as I can tell. Thank you!

#37 Edited by SolidSnake35 (58797 posts) -

I cannot delete this post so here is a picture of a bacon sandwich.

#38 Posted by Poltergeist13 (378 posts) -

I have a 600+ my game collection, haven't had any problems until I tried adding Fable: The Lost Chapters & Fable Anniversary. These two particular games will not add to my collection. Just kind of sits in a loading mode and never adds them, yet the games are in the database. Maybe its a Fable thing.

#39 Edited by anarayan (351 posts) -

I have 140 games, and 14 pages of edits. I need to see at least 50 editable games PER PAGE, hopefully 100, if not all.

edit: And I'd like to see some sort of ordering in the edit page so that I can easily identify the games I want to edit and not have to go (an average of) 7 pages for every game I need to find.

#40 Posted by beutlich99 (1129 posts) -

@anarayan said:

I have 140 games, and 14 pages of edits. I need to see at least 50 editable games PER PAGE, hopefully 100, if not all.

edit: And I'd like to see some sort of ordering in the edit page so that I can easily identify the games I want to edit and not have to go (an average of) 7 pages for every game I need to find.

This. Exactly this. 10 games per edit page? That's crazy small. Most of my game pages are under 50, but clicking through 4 pages is a pain. Especially when I couldn't figure out how the games in the edit page were organized. It sure wasn't alphabetical for me. I couldn't change it to that order or organize by platform or rating or my rating or etc. I'm glad that the edit feature is working. Thank you. But the GS staff members can't be happy with this system either. I could be wrong.

#41 Posted by BranKetra (51726 posts) -

@shadowchronicle said:

I was thinking this could be added later when you guys got most of the problems fixed but it would be nice if there were boards outside of gaming (not just sports). Like maybe a forum for comics/anime/manga or media in general so people can talk about their favorite tv shows. A problem with the current site is that unions had a special interest factor to them where people who liked similar things could join and post, we don't really have that anymore. Along with that some people want the Legacy Platform board back because it has been taken away.

Primary Games Discussion (Mostly current generation consoles and modern companies) and Legacy Discussion (Specifically made for every before the current generation) was quite good. Most of my anime and manga discussions on GameSpot were in Off-Topic, though I also discussed those topics in unions. Since the \latter is gone, I would like a board specifically for them as well as a remake of Legacy Discussion. I welcome comics discussion as well.

#42 Posted by ThreeOranges (25 posts) -

Just adding to the list of people who miss being able to sort by platform. Release date was nice, too, but platform is a must-have, and the lack of this ability has driven some I know to other cataloging sites.

#43 Edited by estugarda (25 posts) -

I check the new Gamespot on monthly basis (as opposed to the times prior the "redesign"), and I still have nothing more constructive to say than that the "new" site still sucks 100%, and is inferior in any possible way known to me to the "old site". The only way to fix this is to delete every single line of code and get back the old one. I wish I could contribute in some constructive way, but for the life of me, I can't find a good thing about this site nowadays. Or improvable.

Get rid of it. It sucks.

#44 Posted by anarayan (351 posts) -

Just noticed that the edit page is loading 100 games per page. That is an improvement. I'd like to see the platform added to each game ASAP. And please make each individual game within the edit page linkable. And please create some sort of sorting by (release date, title, rank, and yes, platform as well) possible within the edit page.

#45 Posted by koreform (30 posts) -

So I am having trouble understanding stacks. I read through the whole thread and I got more confused. Is there or was there a way to add games into stacks directly from the game page? Because I searched everywhere on the page, and the only thing I could find was the cyan +follow button, but it doesn't seem to do anything for me. In fact, if I reload the page the "followed" status disappears. I don't know if everyone else is having this issue, or if it is just happening to me because of my browser or javascript settings.

#46 Posted by anarayan (351 posts) -
@koreform said:

So I am having trouble understanding stacks. I read through the whole thread and I got more confused. Is there or was there a way to add games into stacks directly from the game page? Because I searched everywhere on the page, and the only thing I could find was the cyan +follow button, but it doesn't seem to do anything for me. In fact, if I reload the page the "followed" status disappears. I don't know if everyone else is having this issue, or if it is just happening to me because of my browser or javascript settings.

There was a way back in the old site 9-10 months ago. Right now, there is not. You have to edit your stack, and add the game through the edit page, if you are planning on adding the game to your stack. There is no other way right now.

Also, be careful editing/deleting games in your stacks. Sometimes, when you delete a game from your stack and save changes, random games are checked in the succeeding edit page load. So when you select more games to delete subsequently without exiting edit mode first, the randomly selected games are also deleted. I didn't realize this until I realized that my Wanted Stack went from 141 to 135 because of this error. Hopefully this is fixed sooner rather than later.

#47 Posted by dab198 (3932 posts) -

@anarayan said:
@koreform said:

There was a way back in the old site 9-10 months ago. Right now, there is not.

There used to be a way on the current site as well, but it was removed inexplicably just before E3.

#48 Edited by koreform (30 posts) -

I guess there is hope that this feature will come back soon then. I feel this whole stacks thing is a bit useless if we can't add games to when we discover games while browsing through GameSpot.

#49 Posted by LunarEclipz (31 posts) -

fix the buttons so they do what theyre intended and i''ll be fine, letting me save after changeing the order, letting me change the stack type back cause when you first introduced them i didnt know not to change the type.

#50 Posted by LunarEclipz (31 posts) -

Also, the option to move games up and down the list i already have would help