So....why is this place turning into MovieSpot?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Chr0noid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Chr0noid
Member since 2004 • 207 Posts

The number of movie articles now outnumber the game articles 2:1. Here's my feedback GameSpot. Cut that crap out. You're not IGN and you never will be. Keep it gaming. And even the full length video features are now doing stupid movie based stuff like worst superhero films of all time? Are you joking?

Gamer_4_Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 139

#2 Gamer_4_Fun
Member since 2008 • 3862 Posts

I want to know as well http://www.gamespot.com/forums/bug-reporting-feedback-1000006/gamespots-new-direction-32342764/#1

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Gamespot can't even write proper video game articles anymore and now we have movie articles too. They should've hired actual gamers and not kids like Eddie and company with their click-bait and shallow articles. The site is going downhill for the last couple of years.

Gamer_4_Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Gamer_4_Fun

@Cloud_imperium said:

Gamespot can't even write proper video game articles anymore and now we have movie articles too. They should've hired actual gamers and not kids like Eddie and company with their click-bait and shallow articles. The site is going downhill for the last couple of years.

Ever since they took down Fuse, part of my history over here died with it. I still stuck with them though, but if this is the direction they are headed...it is time to finally leave my first gaming site.

Reichmaster01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Reichmaster01
Member since 2006 • 271 Posts

Agreed. I have been following gamespot.com for 10+ years, and only in the last 6 months have I been venturing out to different sites for my regular gaming news. I can't see myself clicking on this site again in a few months if things don't improve.

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#6 digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

@Chr0noid said:

The number of movie articles now outnumber the game articles 2:1.

I just want to point out that while it might seem like that, this isn't technically accurate. We still primarily report on video game news/previews/etc. Part of my job is managing the social content, which involves tagging each of our entertainment stories, and according to my records, it's no where near a 2:1 ratio. In the last 24 hours, we've published 4 "entertainment" based stories:

• Check Out Fear the Walking Dead's Gruesome Opening Scene - Thursday August 20th at 07:33AM
  • New Hitman Movie One of the Worst-Reviewed Game Films Ever - Thursday August 20th at 10:19AM (though arguably, it's still game related)
  • New Star Trek Sequel Images Leak from the Set - Friday August 21st at 05:15AM
  • Batman v Superman Release Date Change Explained - Friday August 21st at 07:41AM

I also want to say that I hear your feedback and am willing to send back criticism to the powers that be, but I need you to work with me in making sure that it's constructive.

mondoben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By mondoben  Staff
Member since 2006 • 43 Posts

Hi all,

To give a bit of insight into the how's and whys of why we're experimenting with a broader range of content i should clarify a few things. Firstly, the amount of entertainment content is around 5% of our total team output right now....or 1 in 20 articles. I'm not sure where you're getting a 2:1 ratio but it's simply not true. We remain committed to our strong core of games coverage but in order to continue to grow we wanted to expand that with a selection of content from the broader entertainment world that we think our audience would be interested in.

The results overwhelmingly say the audience is interested - articles on relevant movies/tv are actually outperforming many of our game articles, especially when it comes to visits from our social channels - a key source of growth. I get that you guys aren't neccessarily interested in it, but there are plenty who are....

So what if you're not interested in this stuff? Well the first thing to suggest is "don't read it", but failing that we're actually looking at bringing in more tools to help ensure you only see content you're interested in - this means personalisation which helps tailor the content feed to stuff you're interested in, and a separate site section for the GameSpot Entertainment content we're producing. stand by for this stuff over the coming weeks,

Thanks

Ben (VP, Content)

Gamer_4_Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Gamer_4_Fun

@mondoben said:

Hi all,

To give a bit of insight into the how's and whys of why we're experimenting with a broader range of content i should clarify a few things. Firstly, the amount of entertainment content is around 5% of our total team output right now....or 1 in 20 articles. I'm not sure where you're getting a 2:1 ratio but it's simply not true. We remain committed to our strong core of games coverage but in order to continue to grow we wanted to expand that with a selection of content from the broader entertainment world that we think our audience would be interested in.

The results overwhelmingly say the audience is interested - articles on relevant movies/tv are actually outperforming many of our game articles, especially when it comes to visits from our social channels - a key source of growth. I get that you guys aren't neccessarily interested in it, but there are plenty who are....

So what if you're not interested in this stuff? Well the first thing to suggest is "don't read it", but failing that we're actually looking at bringing in more tools to help ensure you only see content you're interested in - this means personalisation which helps tailor the content feed to stuff you're interested in, and a separate site section for the GameSpot Entertainment content we're producing. stand by for this stuff over the coming weeks,

Thanks

Ben (VP, Content)

Really? Well I am not clicking any of such articles just to complain about it being about film. Judging from the comments, I see very very few number of them in those articles.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#9 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

@mondoben said:

we're actually looking at bringing in more tools to help ensure you only see content you're interested in - this means personalisation which helps tailor the content feed to stuff you're interested in, and a separate site section for the GameSpot Entertainment content we're producing. stand by for this stuff over the coming weeks,

Thanks

Ben (VP, Content)

Hi Benjamino. You can't come into my house and lightly promise new features. if you or your team possess such coding prowess, I suggest you drop that new piece about Pewpewpie and start working on the features we actually want. Oh look, there's a huge list of them on this very board, kindly compiled by a volunteer . I tell you what, we'll all come in 30 mins early this week and smash through this. Spirit of the dam busters and all that.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@SolidSnake35 said:
@mondoben said:

we're actually looking at bringing in more tools to help ensure you only see content you're interested in - this means personalisation which helps tailor the content feed to stuff you're interested in, and a separate site section for the GameSpot Entertainment content we're producing. stand by for this stuff over the coming weeks,

Thanks

Ben (VP, Content)

Hi Benjamino. You can't come into my house and lightly promise new features. if you or your team possess such coding prowess, I suggest you drop that new piece about Pewpewpie and start working on the features we actually want. Oh look, there's a huge list of them on this very board, kindly compiled by a volunteer . I tell you what, we'll all come in 30 mins early this week and smash through this. Spirit of the dam busters and all that.

Amen.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#11 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Lmao, what a stupid response.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56040 Posts

While I will say that I don't mind movie articles, I already know that GS will always cover gaming but however, I can understand people want to see gaming news, not just movies, [mainly superheros movies] and I do kinda agree that there hasn't been that much coverage on games like Stat Citizen, ReCore, just to name a few. But anyways, there are few people who I associate with who also likes to talk about movies in the articles, while there are many who comes to GS and go to the news articles for gaming news. My suggestion is: There should be a separate articles outside the main page for gaming news only and the other for entertainment like movie coverage would be something to add to main GS page, movie coverage should never be under gaming news. That's just my opinion about that. [Again movie articles don't bother me at all and I do like to discuss on movies, Anime, ect]

illage2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By illage2
Member since 2011 • 713 Posts

I agree. There's been times where there's been NO games on the front page and instead its all movie news. The site is called GAMEspot not IGNSpot or MOVIEspot.

Also that 2:1 ratio is more accurate than you think. Just the other day the front page had 5 articles in a row about movies and TV shows.